Home

Home

 

Irene was there.

She was there.

It was a rocky start, but Irene wouldn’t have changed it for the world.

It happened gradually, amidst the way her wife would look longingly at the strollers they passed when they took their evening walks through the park, or the way she would subconsciously run her hand over her stomach with a silent sort of yearning. She didn’t think that she noticed, but she did. She noticed everything.

So it was obvious to say that when Wendy finally popped the question, it wasn’t much of a surprise, really. Not to say that it was unwanted, quite the contrary, in fact. Irene wanted this just as much as Wendy did. She just wasn’t sure how to properly approach the topic.

Apparently blurting it out after a binge session of a five hour  Bunny and Hamster marathon and countless episodes of them giving birth was her brain’s idea of an ideal moment.

“I…” she snapped shut. “Sorry. We aren’t ready.” She apologized, cheeks surpassing any sort of natural rosy hue.

“What?” Irene stared back wide-eyed, the hand that was previously carding through Wendy’s hair frozen in place.

“Nevermind," she shook her head regretfully. “Can we pretend I didn’t say anything? I’m sorry, I’m just being stup...”

“No,” Irene cut off, “say it again.” She requested gently.

“I…” Wendy hesitated, picking at her cuticles. 
Irene placed her hand over hers, thumb lightly running over her knuckles, coaxing her.

“I…” she swallowed, “I want to start a family with you.” Wendy finally whispered, ducking her head bashfully.

Trembling fingers rose to tilt her chin up. Slowly, her gaze lifted to meet a paradoxically warm, chocolate, brown.

“You really mean it?” Irene asked, hope laced in her voice.

“Yes, more than anything.”

The popcorn was spilled and Irene crawled into her lap, kissing her with fervor.

“Me too.”

It was inevitably inevitable, just like Bae Joohyun falling for Son Seungwan, just like Son Seungwan asking Bae Joohyun to marry her, just two soulmates finding one another in a sea of seven billion people – inevitable.

It wasn’t a spontaneous decision, something like this took a lot of time, and a lot of planning; like a wedding, but even bigger.

She came home that day with a paper in hand. The smile she had tried to hide breaks out on her face, and her eyes light up with unshed tears of happiness. She bit her lip to hold back tears.

"We're having a baby?" Wendy asked in whisper as she came to a stop right in front of Irene who nodded back at her wife.

"We're having a baby," and the damn breaks causing Irene to throw herself at her wife, tears streaming down her face.

 

----
 

Irene blinked her eyes lazily as she woke up. She frowned a little in confusion, and then smiled as she heard Wendy talking to their baby.

She looked up from where she laid in bed, seeing Wendy walking around, cradling the newborn against her.

“...that is aunt Yeri. The sweetest is aunt Seulgi. You know who is next to her? That is aunt Joy. She's probably going to tell you that she’s better than me, but that is not true,” Wendy murmured, pointing out a picture on the wall.

The baby just kept looking at her as she talked, and Irene shook her head with a chuckle.

Wendy grinned and turned to the scented candles, “then these are made by Mommy, the most beautiful things. She's so talented.” She picked up the candle and wiggles it in front of the baby, “This is a scented candle…”

Irene rolled her eyes with a smile on the lips, “You know that she’s just going to forget as soon as you put it down, she does not understand any of what you’re saying anyway.”

Wendy ignored her remarks and walked over to her with a playful smile.

“And this…” she whispered to the baby, “Is the most beautiful woman on earth and she is your Mama. But you knew that already, didn’t you?”

She heard a soft chuckle and looked up to see Irene staring at her with a fond look. 

Irene sat up with her arms outstretched, and Wendy carefully placed their daughter in her arms. Wendy sat on the bed next to them, watching Irene cuddled the baby with a smile.

"Look at how cute our baby is," Irene said in a cute manner and Wendy let out another chuckle.

She glanced up and furrowed her brows a little embarrassed when she saw the way Wendy was looking at her with a tender smile.

“What?”

Wendy shrugged, “I’m just proud of you, that’s all. You brought a life into the world. And I couldn’t love you more for it.”

Irene smiled as Wendy reached up to cup her cheek in one hand.

“I love you,” Irene said seriously.

Wendy just nodded and leaned over carefully to kiss her forehead.

Irene looked back down at the baby, who was snuffling in her arms sleepily, "Rhu, did you hear that? I love you both now.”

Wendy moved to sit beside her, and Irene leaned her shoulder against the headboard. They both watch their daughter until she fell asleep, contented and happier than they thought was possible.

Rhu was an absolute angel, down to the core. She rarely cried, ate everything without protest, and hardly ever woke them up in the middle of the night. Irene knew they were vastly fortunate to have such a cooperative baby.

But that didn’t dismiss the fact that when she did have her moments, and all terrible things she did, the little tantrums were something to be reckoned with.

And now it's been three years since little Rhu was born into this world, becoming the source of Wendy and Irene's happiness.

"Babe I know, but this is my job," Irene said in a weak breath. "You know Daniel wouldn't ask me to go if it wasn't important."

Wendy sighed because she knows her wife is right. She took a second to school her features before speaking again.

"You've already said yes haven't you?" Wendy sighed, realizing that this is in fact her wife's job and it is happening whether she likes it or not. She gets her answer in a nod. "How long?"

"About four days."

"When does he want you to leave?"

"Tomorrow night."

"Can it be postponed?"

"Wendy please?!"

"Mama?" Rhu was standing in the doorway, rubbing her eyes sleeply. Her little legs moving towards Wendy and grabbing the edge of her Mommy's shirt, tugging it gently.

"Why Mama yelwing at Mommy?" She asked in a whispered, confused.

The couple had always made sure to have any arguments when their daughter wasn't around to see. Irene kicked herself at raising her voice to Wendy when her little girl was just in the other room. At least it wasn't a bad fight Rhu had to witness.

"Mama and Mommy had a little argument, but everything is fine now, baby. I promise," Wendy smiled softly and ruffled Rhu's hair.

"Whas wong?" Rhu asked and Wendy looked Irene for an answer.

"Mama has to go to work for a few days and won't be here," the brunette answered, crouching down to level her daughter's eyes, "I get to fly on a big plane and go visit a faraway land."

"You leaving?!" The little girl exclaimed from her spot behind Wendy's legs, tears welling in her eyes.

"Only for a few days baby," Irene said as she pulled her little girl into her arms. "I promise I'm coming back. I just have to go away for work, that's why Mommy and I were arguing, but everything is okay."

Irene stayed there with her arms wrapped around Rhu, Wendy smiled sadly at the sight, and soon joined them too.

"I'm going to start calling around for help," she presses a kiss to the top of Irene's head. "I love you, Hyun, and I'm so proud of you." She says before standing up to make her phone calls.

 

----
 

"Bye bye aunt Jwoy! Bye bye aunt Sulgi!" Rhu's little chubby hand giving wave to the two of her favorite persons.

"Bye Rhu!"

"See you little Bunny!"

It was Rhu's fourth day being at aunt Joy's place since Joy and Seulgi were volunteering themselves to babysit little Rhu, which was Wendy had never agreed before.

But Irene managed to convince her wife saying it'll be okay and Wendy doesn't need to worry since Joy and Seulgi had experience in babysit Yeri many times. 

Those ridiculus statement got a raise brow from Wendy instead, but Irene managed to gave another reason that their parents lived in different city and it'll take a longer time for Wendy to go there, making Wendy had no choice but nodded in defeat.

It was no surprise that the little girl already close to the two adults as Joy and Seulgi like to play many games that Rhu didn't even know the game was exist before.

She was very happy to spend her time with the 'unique' aunts, and the two adults quickly become her favorite persons. Leaving aunt Yeri in the dust.

Wendy smiled, thanking her friends as she grabbed Rhu's little hand. They headed back to her car as Seulgi and Joy watching them get in the car.

"You look happy," Wendy grinned as she buckled in her daughter, making sure little Rhu is snug and secure.

"Yesh Mommy, it was so fun! aunt Jwoy and aunt Sulgi so cool!"

"Really?"

"Yeah!"

"I'm glad you had a good time," Wendy chuckled and ruffled Rhu's hair before putting on her own seat belt, hands on the wheel, ready to drive home.

All the way home Rhu was singing to the song on the radio. Head moving side to side, looking over the buildings passed by them.

"Mommy, I miss Mama," Rhu said from the back seat, "I want go nigh nigh." Wendy looked in the mirror to see Rhu's head almost slouched against her car seat, eyes heavy as she fought the sleepiness.

Wendy chuckled at the sight, putting the car in park and getting out of the car. 

As she got out of the car she saw the inner garage door open, and watched as her wife stepped out of the house.

"Hey love," Irene greeted stepping forward to kiss her lips.

"Mama!" Rhu yelled from the car, suddenly wide awake, causing Irene to break out in a wide smile.

She walked over to take the little girl out of the car seat while Wendy took the things she bought from the grocery store.

"Hello my sweet princess. Did you have fun with aunt Joy and aunt Seulgi today?" Irene asked as she removed little Rhu from the car seat.

"Yeah," she beamed and smiled brightly like Wendy, Irene melted. "We go dance!"

"Really? That's awesome!" With her girl in her arms, Irene walked into their home.

As she crossed the threshold Wendy came bounding down the stairs.

"I'm going to get the rest of the groceries."

"Do you need help?" Irene asked, adjusting Rhu on her hip.

"Mama down," she demanded, tapping her face lightly with the palm of her hand, so she did, and she waddled over to the living room.

"TV, pwease?" She asked nicely and Irene turned the TV on for her.

"Now I can help," Irene said with a smile as she followed her wife out of the house. The couple carried the bags into the house and began unloading the groceries. 

As Wendy put the food into the cabinets, she felt arms wrapped around her waist. She sighed at the comfort of being in her wife's arms.

"I missed you today," Irene sighed as she rest her head in between Wendy's shoulder blades.

"Did you now?" Wendy asked with a smirk, and Irene hummed in response.

"In more ways than one…" she whispered seductively in Wendy's ear as her hands trail downwards on Wendy's body, until she was grasping her over her jeans.

Wendy gasped in pleasure as Irene rubbed her over her jeans and placed kisses on her neck. It's really been too long since they last had and both women were feeling deprived.

"Hyun," Wendy gasped, but before she can finish that sentence, they were interrupted by a small voice.

"Mommy," Rhu chimed as she stood in the kitchen doorway, making the wives jump apart quickly. 

She looked between her Mama and her Mommy. 

"Mama hug and kiss Mommy too!" 

Irene gaspsed in shock at the fact that her daughter just walked in on her feeling up her wife. Well it's not the worst she could have seen…

Wendy laughed as she walked towards her daughter, Irene standing back, her face red with embarrassment.

"Yes Mama gives us all of her hugs and kisses because she loves us very much!" Wendy giggled as she reached down to pick their daughter up.

She tossed a teasing smirk at Irene, but the brunette raised an eyebrow at her wife, effectively stopping her teasing. Wendy gulped nervously at the gesture.

"What can I do for you munchkin?" Wendy quickly said, turning her attention to the little girl in her arms.

Rhu rubbed her tummy and pouted her lips. Eventhough she already had dinner at aunt Joy's place, she's still craving for her Mommy and Mama's cooking.

"Okay, What do you munchkin want for dinner?"

"Pasgetti!" Rhu cheered.

"Alright." Wendy chuckled and set her on one of the kitchen chairs as Irene opened the cabinet, preparing for the ingredients.

"15 minutes, Okay?"

"Otay," Rhu nodded cutely and waited patiently for her dinner. Hands folding on the dinner table like a good kid she is.

Once in while she would peek at her Mothers, her little mouth forming an 'o', wondering how can those hands creating her favorite dishes everyday.

In the middle of waiting for her parents preparing the dinner, Rhu swinging her little legs, head moving side to side, and humming a few times.

"Thess some horse in the house! Thess some horse in the house!"

Wendy froze and frowned upon hearing that. That song was familiar to her.

Too familiar. 

She stopped chopping the onions and turned around, "baby, what are you singing that?"

Rhu beamed, "It's animal song Mommy. I heard aunt Jwoy and aunt Sulgi sing that."

Wendy paused and took a glance at her wife, who seems too focus on stirring the pot.

Well, her wife must not familiar to any kind of trend in social media. She doesn't even listen to music that much, unless Wendy sing it for her.

Wendy was pondering for a moment. Thinking it must be the educational version of the song, or the Kidz Bop version at least, since It's quite good technic nowadays to teach children with songs that filled with a basic information or a good message.

Well, as long as it didn't pollute her daughter's mind. Wendy is fine by that.

Just as she’s pouring the mac and cheese into bowls for her, Rhu suddenly clapped her hands, moving her hips in her seat.

"Macaroni in a pot! Thess some wet wet hamsters!"

Irene laughed loudly while Wendy's eye widened, her jaw hanging open.

"Rhu!"

Good lord.

"No! no! no! this is not happening!"

Wendy quickly untied her apron and ran upstairs in a speed of lightning bolt.

"I need the holy water for her! Hyun where did you put it?!"

Wendy's panic blubbering can be heard downstairs, the sound of things being rummaged and moved filled the room.

Irene turned to her daughter, who'd been in a silence. 

Rhu was looking at Irene in confused, soon tears were welling in her eyes, thinking she must've been doing something wrong with how her Mommy's reaction.

Wendy can be too exaggerated with her reaction sometimes. Rhu didn't even say a bad word. She doesn't even know what she's singing.

Irene already warned Joy and Seulgi to be more careful with their words when Rhu is around since it is kid's nature to imitate people.

"Don't worry, okay? We'll talk with Mommy later. Mommy's just too tired today," Irene convined her daughter, hand  Rhu's hair.

Rhu just nodded at her Mama before wipping her tears with her little chubby hands and Irene chuckled at her clumsiness.

For a very long time, Irene had thought the very idea of happy endings were sappy and unrealistic. 

People didn’t get what they wanted, bad things happened to good people and not every dream came true. That’s just the way the world was, and she understood that now after everything she’d seen and done since graduating college. Of course life couldn’t be perfect – bad things would always happen, and that was just the way it was.

But now, with the people she loved more than anything else walking (and crawling,) this path with her, she couldn't be happier and she felt like she can do anything, and handle the bad things than she ever had before.

This was only the beginning.

.

..

...

---