Under the spotlight

Understudy

13 July 2097

 

“Bzzt.Bzzt.” A lone mobile phone crackled to life drawing the attention of a few stray cats wandering round the forlorn street.

 

“Hello. Bzzt. Can anyone hear me? I repeat can anyone hear- bzzt-“ it cautiously, the dirty brown munchkin cat simply lost its interest and began stalking away to scour around for scraps of rotten vegetables.

 

A couple more bizarre gaps filled the air drawing the attention of a limping passerby ,trudging round the deserted corner. Slowly, trudging up to the phone, the injured lady could only look at it with much hesitation before gingerly picking it up, wincing slightly as her back bent over to pick up the cracked phone.

 

“Hello, who is this?” A raspy voice was emitted from the woman causing the caller to frantically pick up.

 

“Never mind now, I’ve got no time to waste. The new religion, No-Bzzt- Ter -Bzzt- , is controlling everyone. It’s mad out here. It’s hella mad.” The phone crackled furiously, unable to contain the caller’s urgency.

 

“What religion?” The woman rasped slightly as she strained her ears.

 

“Bzzt.The virus surely came and wiped out a massive chunk of the population but the cure is much worse. They’re injecting stuff into people. I don’t know but my sources told me it’s biochips. -bzzt-“

 

“Biochips? What are you talking about?” The woman’s eyebrows furrowed as she struggled to comprehend what was going on, the wind whistling ominously around her.

 

“I’ve seen the experiments and I don’t know how to describe it. Fxxk. It’s like we’re puppets. YES. Puppets. -bzzt- puppets in which our strings are controlled by them.” The caller repeatedly mentioned puppets but the woman’s mind had other thoughts.

 

“Who’s them?” The raspy voice called out into the vast emptiness.

 

Instead, she was greeted by a harsh blow to her head and a gruff voice greeting the caller.

 

“False information detected. We’ll let you off the hook this time but there’s no next time for you.” With a maniacal laugh, the owner of the gruff voice silenced the phone and threw it high in the air.

 

With a whack of her baseball, it went straight to the dusty window pane of an unoccupied house, shattering it into fragments as the phone gave a last crackle into the thin air.

 

“Did you see that?” The maniac gestured to it wildly, to no one in particular, with the tip of her baseball bat.

 

Glancing at the woman sprawled on the ground, the maniac inched closer, her slim fingers tracing the woman’s jawline gingerly before she swallowed in and spat out bitterly.

 

“Shame on this. Shame on that. Shame on everything. What comes after everything.” Twirling the baseball bat precariously, the maniac laughed once again.

 

“Shame on MYSELF!”

 

A screeching laughter filled the air yet it was filled with a vast amount of emptiness.


 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

12 April 3007, 9.00 p.m.

 

A little girl whimpered silently in her bedroom as she cowered under her thick navy blanket, shielding her from the piercing screams surrounding her.

 

Wondering when this blank period would come to an end, she could only resort to reciting her multiplication tables, trying very hard to recall what comes after the sets of 11.

 

It had only been just minutes ago when her mother had been patiently teaching her sets of 11, rewarding her with plain rice cake wrapped in crispy laver, which was personally her favourite when a huge sharp knock came onto their Prussian blue mahogany door. The blood from her mother's face drained so quickly but the little girl couldn't sense it for she was too engrossed in thinking about what comes after the sets of 11.

 

Without any warning, the older lady urged her daughter to return to bed whilst frantically arranging the scraps of paper that her daughter had written her sums on, taking a quick glance at the door which kept on rattling furiously from the harsh knocking.

 

The little girl could only do as she was told, considering her obedient nature, she toddled back to her room, still deep in thought over her multiplication tables.

 

A cold draft suddenly blew into the room, slightly lifting the light blanket allowing the child to take a short glimpse to the world beyond her safety net.

 

'That's strange, why is there a number 12 painted in red on mommy's forehead? Wait, it's the set that comes after 11. I should start reciting it now so that mommy will reward me with more rice cakes with my hard effort. Mommy says that if I learn more, it would help me a lot because then I will become smarter. And people like smart people because they solve all the problems in the world-"

 

"Yujin, come out and have dinner. I've cooked your favourite curry rice." A familiar voice sweetly rang in Yujin's ear but Yujin couldn’t see her mother’s mouth opening and closing when enunciating these words.

 

Maybe it’s the bad lighting’ Yujin thought to herself as she caught sight of her mother slumped on the floor in a heap.

 

Yujin blinked slowly trying to grasp her situation but as she did so, her mother suddenly disappeared from her blurry vision.

 

The same words repeated itself and her mother appeared in front of her, without a hint of any bruises from earlier and the mysterious carmine red ‘12’.

 

Her mother smiled sweetly however, she enunciated her words a little too raspy and parched.

 

Furthermore, it lacked the warmth and affection from before as everything went astray from that night.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

11 April 3018, 1.00p.m.

 

“Dear, aren’t you going to help me bring the boxes into our new house.” A voice yelled out to Yujin who was staring solemnly at the empty building right across the bleak street.

 

The quiet building stood lonely between two huge maple trees, filled with reddish brown leaves owing to the approaching winter season.

 

“Coming with you, Wonyoung.” Yujin replied as she peeled her eyes away from the inviting demeanour of the empty building, laden with the old reddish brown bricks which complimented the two maple trees.

 

“What were you looking at, dear?” Wonyoung asked as she stowed the clear teacups, lined with intricate designs of maya blue cherub angels.

 

“The building right across our house. The one with those dirty red bricks.” Yujin mumbled softly as she peered through the dusty window, ignoring the delicate spider at the upper right corner, weaving it’s little flimsy web.

 

“There’s nothing there, dear. Do you need a cup of chamomile tea? Perhaps you need a little shut eye from all that driving you did. Good thing for my own conscience to have the helpers make up the bedrooms before we arrive.” Wonyoung mumbled as she hustled around the kitchen to boil a cup of water for her fiancé’s tea.

 

Rejecting the offer, Yujin motioned that she would lift the last few boxes into their house before heading off to take a little walk around the neighbourhood to get herself acquainted with the neighbours.

 

With the task on hand, Yujin reassured her partner that she was just normal as she could possibly be. But it wasn't enough for Wonyoung for she even followed Yujin to the lift lobby.

 

Whistling to herself as she pressed the lift button to head down, Yujin caught sight of the building again but she merely shook it off and tightly shut her eyes before producing a reassuring smile to her fiancé.

 

'Perhaps it's just an extension of my imagination. Besides, I've been driving buildings all night so my brain decided to gift me with this image of that ridiculous building." Yujin reasoned with herself as she entered the lift alone.

 

Dusting off the crumbs of sawdust on her hand, the young lady assured her troubled gal that she would not wander past the limits of her script as the doors closed on her.

 

Speaking of scripts, Yujin closed her eyes tightly, allowing a space blue glow to engulf her as a hologram slowly filled her vision.

 

“Welcome to Novae Terrae. The lists of activities you have been assigned to do will be shortly announced. Please wait for a moment.” A monotonous voice spoke in a crisp tone.

 

Yujin took in a deep breath, trying to stabilise the giddy motion and together with this simulation, it made it even worse than having to puke after a night out.

 

“Ahn Yujin, Hominum 772 has been assigned a script dated for 11 April 3018. They have been assigned to fix up a new house and interact with neighbours before sun down. Choices for dinner is Italian Spaghetti Bolognese with Caesar Salad or Kalguksu with Iced Barley Tea. They are free to pursue any choice of activities within the community guidelines. Failure to do so would result in a prompt replacement with their respective ‘Understudy’. Thank you and have a nice day with the tasks lined ahead for the day.”

 

Yujin yawned silently as she was exported out of the simulation promptly. She had always wondered what the term ‘Understudy’ meant and even tried searching up on the local internet but every single term in relation to it resulted in landing back again at the main government’s screen lined with ads offering her with tempting discounts on classical records. 

 

When the trusty internet didn't satisfy her thirst for the knowledge on it, she resorted to asking the local robot librarian but they merely gave a ghostly smile and directed her to books in relation to her studies. 

 

She was finally left with the option of asking her parents but they gave a ghostly smile and asked her what she would like as a gift regardless of the price. Yujin could only take this as a hint to stop with her questions and to focus on doing well in school and her national exams.

 

Soon enough, her phase over her obsession with the term 'understudy' grew out as it was replaced with nights which were filled with noses stuffed to the brim with rolled up tissues which allowed her to enrol in the nation’s prestigious university, much to the delight of her parents. 

 

Her achievements of winning in the national taekwondo or the national mathematics competitions was solely meant for her parents to brag about to her relatives and Yujin merely did this out of ‘respect’ for she couldn’t bear the thought of her parents living their lives filled with disappointment for their only child.

 

Somehow, her relatives always found a way to squirm through the conversation just to belittle her on how little her achievements now wouldn’t have much of an impact on her job scope. The younger Ahn had to agree with them on this for she didn’t find any use of taekwondo in a society filled with zero crime rate with the exception of the crazed Hominum but she hadn’t encountered one yet for now.

 

Signing deeply to herself, she pushed up the thin golden frames of her spectacles and burrowed her hands deep into the pockets of her dark purple windbreaker as she stepped out into the empty street with exception of people hurriedly making their way for their next task. The cool breeze of the late autumn lightly tickled her skin but it wasn't enough to calm her frayed nerves.

 

"Perhaps, I really need that cup of tea. How foolish of me." Yujin muttered out loudly.

 

A sudden crack of twigs startled Yujin, forcing her to whip round coming face to a lady sprawled over the ground, in a strange yet familiar manner.

 

Suddenly, her chest compressed itself tightly, trying to squeeze every breath out of her. Instinctively, Yujin took deep breaths in yet with each gasp of breath, Yujin found herself struggling to unclasp the tight feeling. It was if someone was mentally forcing her through a pair walls which were slowly pressing down this uneasy weight upon her. Yujin took another deep breath and struggled deeply to focus on anything but the mangled sight in front of her. Beads of cold sweat slowly trickled down her neck forcing Yujin to wipe it off hastily, trying to erase any signs of her malfunction.

 

In doing so, the distraught lady knocked her own glasses off, the frame clattering silently on the ground yet it rang shrilly in Yujin's ears.

 

Yujin clasped her hands over ears and dropped to the ground, shivering uncontrollably as she struggled to make out the lady's features in the midst of her unnatural behaviour acting out.

 

Out of the blue, she was heaved up and shoved away from the mangled mess and Yujin could only find herself lunging forward to help the woman regardless of her dreadful state.

 

Blurs of clean patches of dark green went past her which faded into a single moment of grey patches till she caught sight of a brass doorknob before darkness consumed her completely.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

11 April 3018, 4.25 p.m.

 

Fluttering open, Yujin’s eyes slowly adjusted to the blinding white light, blinking methodically to get accustomed to the brightness.

 

“Where am I?” She grogrilly mumbled as she struggled to sit upright.

 

A familiar warmth clasped tightly on her hands but it wasn’t Wonyoung’s hands.

 

“Who are you?” Yujin sleepily muttered as she sat upright, with a little help from the woman who had not uttered a single noise during the entire duration as she handed over Yujin’s spectacles gingerly.

 

Taking it as a cue that the woman was not up for a conversation, the hospitalised woman kept mum and resorted to observing her helper’s features.

 

From her pale yet flawless skin which held a quaint little smile on her pale pink lips, slightly cracked on the ends. Moving up, Yujin caught sight of an elegantly straight nose which held a translucent odd rectangular spectacle. Moving past the lenses which hid the large doe eyes which held darkly sympathetic eyes which seemed to plead for something yet Yujin couldn’t seem to figure it out.

 

A dark blue cardigan hung loosely on her thin frames along with baggy washed out denim jeans as she shuffled around busily in the small room. Coupled with a light lingering smell of lavender perfume, it completed the outlook of what Yujin could only imagine as Aphrodite in a breathing form instead of lying around in tatty historic books. If there was one word to describe her saviour it would merely not be enough to contain all of Yujin’s thoughts on her serene beauty.

 

Returning promptly with a mini whiteboard and a black marker in tow, it reminded Yujin strongly of the times when she had to use these at home instead of resorting to calculators like what her classmates did, just so that she could feel accepted by her family for her ability to calculate easily. 

 

But then again, what was the use when she was unable to calculate the loss in the faith that her parents had in her.

 

Pushing these detrimental thoughts aside, Yujin gave a little smile whilst gesturing slowly to the items.

 

“Are you perhaps, mute? It’s alright with me if you’re not comfortable with speaking aloud.”

 

Hastily scribbling on the board, the woman whipped her whiteboard round to show a short sentence written in a thick, neat cursive handwriting.

 

I’m Kim Minjoo and I’m mute.’

 

“Ah, I see.” Swallowing her saliva nervously, Yujin spoke up again after collecting her thoughts.

 

“Then, I’m Yujin. Ahn Yujin.”

 

Minjoo got down onto her whiteboard, hastily scribbling again.

 

Of the Ahn Family?’

 

Nodding her head once, Yujin felt a bitter taste rising up in but she swallowed it easily like a pill.

 

“Anyways, where am I?”

 

‘In my house. Do you have anyone I can contact so that they can pick you up immediately?’ 

 

Just as Yujin was about to utter Wonyoung’s number, she decided against it. Not wanting to trouble anyone on either side, Yujin silently resolved to walk back home alone. To add on, one of the tasks on hand was to mingle about with her neighbours and this was just the perfect opportunity plated for her, just like how her life had always been.

 

“It’s alright. I can manage going home alone. Anyways, how old are you? I’m 20 and turning 21 on the first of September.”

 

‘I passed 24 on February 5 :>’

 

“Cute.” Yujin muttered as she continued on serenely. 

 

“That makes you my senior, I guess, with the 3 years gap.”

 

‘I guess? But I’d prefer to treat each other equally, regardless of age difference.’ 

 

“Anyways, introductions aside. I’m new to this neighbourhood, just moved in today and do you have any recommendations to get some good food? In particular, Kalguksu or Spaghetti Bolognese. My partner and I aren’t the best cooks in general and our helpers have taken the day off.”

 

‘You have a fiancé? You don’t have those stuff they wear on their fingers.’

 

Slightly flustered with the sudden question, Yujin answered back.

 

“I hadn’t presented either of us with rings. But in due time, in accordance to the script, of course.” 

 

‘I’m sure she’ll like the ring, no matter the elegance.’

 

“Thank you.” Yujin smiled, her dimples unknowingly popping out.

 

‘About the food places, there’s a little eatery down the road and they serve up one of the better Kalguksu. They got a refreshing cup of Barley Tea too to eat with your Kalguksu.’

 

“That’s great. Even thinking about it makes my mouth water like mad. How about you just guide me there and I’ll pay for our food in return?” Yujin beamed as she slid out of the comfy warmth of the bed.

 

Sounds like a good deal. :>’

 

Yujin peered around as she allowed Minjoo to prepare herself for the impromptu session.

 

From the pressed sheets lined with strips of blue, the simple royal blue mahogany furnitures to the pristine wallpaper lining every inch of the apartment, it felt extremely cosy to Yujin for some strange reason but her feelings were brushed aside by the inviting painting which lay right above the door leading to the outside.

 

Within the rustic deep-set frame lay a canvas painting of two women enjoying a cup of tea atop an oak table and a pair of old rickety chairs with the background having people walking by causally, leaving the women to enjoy their drinks in their own little bubble.

 

It was just something struck out rather poignantly.

 

Both women had no facial features, just an empty neutral mask covering their facial features but each passerby had their own unique facial features from the bespectacled man busy on his mobile phone to the young toddler tailing behind his father.

 

Trying to make sense out of it, Yujin was silently interrupted by a light tug on the back of her windbreaker.

 

“Ready to go? Oh you aren’t bringing your whiteboard?”

 

Gesturing to her phone, Minjoo signalled to the battery to which Yujin got immediately and stood aside to allow Minjoo to unlock the door.

 

‘Wow. Even the view from the back is still prettier than when I go on a full make-up spree.’ Yujin silently thought as she put on her shoes, thoughts of her wife slowly drifting away.

 

It was a much different experience walking alongside Minjoo for she wasn't bombarded with random questions from Wonyoung or the silent treatment from her parents. If she could simply put them in words, it was like walking alongside the swaying orange daffodils under the breezy afternoon sun, shining the golden rays upon her as the clouds gently waved past her.

 

Turning round the bend with the silent guidance from Minjoo, Yujin was greeted to a sight of plainly dressed staff bustling back and forth to serve endless orders while carrying trays of steaming hot curry or iced milk tea, the ice cubes clinking loudly as they wafted through the bustling tables filled with people at ease, making a racket over the tables.

 

“Miss Kim! Lovely to have you back here again. The usual?” A little lady popped up in their view, nearly overshadowed by the hefty tray of coconuts she was balancing precariously on her shoulder.

 

Minjoo nodded and gestured back to Yujin who was mesmerised by the uncle ‘pulling’ a drink between two cups to produce a foaming light brown tea in a clear glass topped off with a blue straw.

 

Foaming in , Yujin snapped back to reality when Minjoo eagerly pulled on her hand to guide her to an empty table just before a ravenous lady could snatch up their spot.

 

“Here’s the menu and don’t hesitate to get our attention. We are a little different from those automated restaurants around the area and I recommend our Kalguksu together with the in-house broth. And I’ll be back, the eatery is picking up pace again.”

 

Pushing the tattered menu towards Yujin, Minjoo whipped out her phone to converse with Yujin, who was seemingly immersed in the menu, for her eyes eagerly scanned the menu.

 

“Wow. I want to savour everything in this menu.” Yujin exclaimed as she looked up to read Minjoo’s text.

 

‘So how’d you end up in this area?’

 

Shifting uncomfortably, Yujin closed the menu before replying, “I wanted to have a different scenery to return to after graduation in university. How about you?”

 

Shifting the attention back to Minjoo, Yujin raised her hands to place her order as instructed from her script.

 

‘I grew up here since I was born but my parents moved out to the city. Better technology to cope with their frail health and there weren’t many job opportunities in the city which weren’t open to the idea of mute people despite the technological advancements. Life goes that way, I suppose.’

 

Yujin gave an encouraging smile before proceeding on.

 

“Then what do you currently work as?”

 

‘In the library. Machines help to sort out the books while I ensure that the system is up and running. It ensures my computer science degree hasn’t been put to waste.’ 

 

“Damn, a computer science degree. At least it deals with machines and not people.” Yujin remarked as she pushed up her glasses.

 

‘What about you? You don’t seem the type to work in a 9 to 5 setting.’

 

Opening to utter her words, Yujin was interrupted by a steaming hot bowl of Kalguksu, the steam wafting out from the pile of fried seaweed and tofu, floating atop the noodles which fogged up her glasses and a translucent iced barley tea sliding in after. Opposite of her, Minjoo had a steaming hot plate of curry and a cup of oolong tea.

 

“Just flag any of us down if you want to order more and for pleasantries, I’m Nako. Yabuki Nako.” A dimpled smile flashed itself before it was gone in a split second for the owner had to assist others.

 

“Let’s eat.” Yujin muttered before saying her prayers and digging into the scrumptious meal.

 

Within minutes, Nako had cleared their plates and presented them with a little mountain of injeolmi bingsu, a treat which was on the house.

 

Taking a huge gulp of the cold desert, a bitingly cold sensation went down her mind, forcing Yujin to relive images she had pushed away.

 

An image of the red building flashed briefly in Yujin’s mind, before Yujin exhaled and pondered deeply over it.

 

'You seem to be deep in thought. Do you want to talk it out? Don't worry, no one won't bother listening in because they are engrossed in their own conversation.'

 

"Nevermind about it. I got to head back now. Uh…" Swiftly formulating a lie up in her head to wiggle her way out of relaying her thoughts as she usually does, Yujin mumbled.

 

"My fiancé that I mentioned earlier called up on me. She wants to arrange the flat before we head out tomorrow for groceries.”

 

Breathing a quiet sigh of relief over the white lie, Yujin stood up to pay for the meal, keeping up to the promise she had shared.

 

The pair walked out, not much being offered to talk about given that they had exhausted all their efforts into conversing earlier.

 

Turning round a familiar bend, Yujin came face to face with the old red brick building with Minjoo trailing absentmindedly behind.

 

Feeling a light tug on her shirt, Yujin whipped around, causing herself to nearly ram Minjoo straight into the bougainvillea bushes.

 

“I really need to work on my balance.” Yujin muttered absentmindedly as she glanced towards Minjoo who typed out something on her handheld device. A faint smell of lavender wafted through the air, pleasing Yujin’s senses.

 

What’s your phone number? Just in case you need someone to get along with in this town.’

 

“Oh yes! Uhm, can I have your phone? Easier for me to type out.”

 

After switching their phone numbers, the pair made their soft goodbyes, neither one willing to leave but what can a Hominum do when they had to obey the rules set by higher ups they had never had once interacted with. It was merely like interacting with a wall but at least the wall had it’s strong presence unlike the higher ups.

 

As the sun bade their farewells to the community, night slowly enshrouded them in complete darkness. 

 

Leaving Yujin alone with her demanding thoughts, which was usually matched with Wonyoung’s snores. However, given that the latter was slagging away at the law firm, Yujin only had her thoughts to comfort her for the night.

 

Sighing again to herself, the restless girl tossed herself helplessly in bed to come face to face with the window. Peering outside, everything was seemingly empty, with the overhead street lamps lighting up every corner of the street.

 

Just across the street was a full blown view of the peculiar brick building again but something about it seemed off. The main door was left slightly ajar, a stark contrast to the morning when Yujin was shuffling around while carrying the heavy boxes.

 

Reaching out for her binoculars and glasses, Yujin cautiously peeked round the street before zooming her attention on the building. Figuring out that all the windows were covered in dusty black film, she reverted her attention to the door, trying to peek in the best as she could.

 

Out of nowhere, a hooded figure popped up in her view, heavily concealed with a black mask and the plain black hoodie.

 

Yujin breathed heavily as she shifted nervously, waiting for the strange figure to enter the building. She could only watch ahead as the hooded figure looked around cautiously, their eyes trying to scan every inch it could land upon. Finally the person opened the door, just big enough for them to slip but not enough for Yujin to catch a glimpse of what was truly inside in the building. 

 

She could only sigh dejectedly as the person closed the door fully on her line of sight, leaving Yujin once again to deal with her own thoughts.

 

‘Who was that? Was that even a Hominum? And why can I only see that building? Maybe, Minjoo knows? I’ll try to see if I can coincidentally bump into her’

 

Deep in her own little universe swarming with her thoughts, Yujin failed to notice the hooded figure cautiously stepping out of the building, a black trash bag in tow right behind them.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

12 April 3018, 9.00 a.m.

 

Pushing up the thin golden frames which were sloping down her nose bridge, Yujin gently placed 2 cartons of eggs into her trolley

 

“Oh crap. What do I need to buy again?” Yujin mumbled to herself as pulled over to the next aisle lined with a single brand of cereal.

 

“Guess, I need to use Novae Terrae again.”

 

Closing her eyes, Yujin allowed the cold glow as the familiar hologram enshrouded her vision.

 

“Welcome to Novae Terrae. The lists of activities you have been assigned to do will be shortly announced. Please wait for a moment.” The same monotonous voice spoke in a crisp tone.

 

“Ahn Yujin, Hominum 772 has been assigned a script dated for 12 April 3018. They have been assigned to buy groceries consisting of a  bunch of green scallions, a bag of white onions, a 10 kilogram sack of brown rice, frozen food of their own choice with a minimum of 1 vegetables and protein and 2 packs of eggs. Groceries past the list provided for the week would be covered by Hominum. They are free to pursue any choice of activities within the community guidelines. Failure to do so would result in a prompt replacement with their respective ‘Understudy’.  Thank you and have a nice day with the tasks lined ahead for the day.”

 

One of the few good things that came out of using the Novae Terrae would be being able to go out of the house without having the worry of not purchasing the wrong ingredients. Furthermore, there was only one single brand offered in stores nationwide in the same space blue shade. And yes, you guessed it right. 

 

Novae Terrae

 

Yujin hustled around to pick out the freshest goods and came to a slow stop in front of the ice cream section. Different flavours lined themselves neatly in Yujin’s vision as she peered hungrily over it.

 

Finally landing on the same flavour as she always did, which was plain old vanilla, Yujin reached out eagerly for the handle, only for her hand to land atop someone else's.

 

“My apologies. You can get yours first.” Yujin politely said as she looked up to apologise.

 

A surprised expression grazed Minjoo’s face before it morphed into a warm smile. Reaching out for the vanilla flavour, Minjoo took two tubs before depositing it into her little green basket filled to the brim with her personal groceries.

 

“Vanilla eh? My favourite too! Putting it on top buttered bread is the way to go.” Yujin rambled on as she took a tub for herself and another tub of mint chocolate for her fiancé, the lavender perfume hovering over the vanilla tubs.

 

“Anyways, grocery shopping for you, this morning? Must be a coincidence.” Yujin remarked as she wheeled her trolly to check out, allowing Minjoo to go ahead of her.

 

Minjoo nodded sheepishly to Yujin’s remark as she collected her groceries.

 

With the groceries collected and a roll of receipts stashed away for financial purposes, the pair threaded slowly towards Yujin’s car.

 

“Put your groceries in. I’ll give you a drive back home.”

 

Without waiting for Minjoo’s refusal, Yujin had already secured their groceries into the trunk and ushered Minjoo straight into the front passenger seat.

 

Out of habit, Yujin reached out for the seatbelt, inhaling hints of lavender perfume as she buckled it safely.

 

“Any favourite tunes you’d like to play or do you want the radio to play on.” Yujin offered as she started the ignition.

 

Minjoo typed out on her phone as Yujin checked the rear view mirror before backing out of the parking spot, her left arm nestled on the back of Minjoo’s seat, once again out of habit.

 

Any tune will do. How’s your day?’

 

Fiddling with the knobs, the local radio station was in the midst of blasting a throwback song.

 

“So-so.” Yujin shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly as she nodded her head towards the security guard.

 

“Have a nice day ahead, lovely couple.” The security guard beamed as he waved them on.

 

Yujin opened to remark about the comment but she ignored it. Besides, it felt nice imagining being in love with Minjoo. 

 

To imagine being out there, walking under the street lamps as the clear terrestrial night sky enveloped them, sweaty palms tightly clasping each other as it swinged between their owners. The lavender perfume slowly invaded her thoughts as Minjoo reached over to peck Yujin’s cheek lightly.

 

No words needed to be exchanged between them for a single action had already spoken over barriers of silence.

 

A loud horn blasted Yujin out of her thoughts abruptly, forcing Yujin to look up and press down on the pedal, the black Hyundai car speeding down the street.

 

‘What was that? Why wasn’t Wonyoung in it? Why is Minjoo even in it? What would Wonyoung even think of this?” Yujin frantically worried over this as she pulled into the driveway of Minjoo’s building.

 

Minjoo unbuckled herself and picked up her groceries, not before instigating a ‘I’ll call’ hand signal to Yujin who watched on till the last spots of Minjoo’s white sneakers disappeared behind the door.

 

Yujin sighed to herself as she slumped her head on her steering wheel, setting off the horn in the process.

 

“What the hell is going on? First, I see the red brick building that Wonyoung can’t even see and next thing I get, I’m finding myself at ease with Minjoo’s presence. I came here to settle down and escape from those memories and yet it comes back again like a stubborn fly.”

 

Giving herself a few deep breaths to steady herself, Yujin considered her options. She could risk spilling her thoughts with Wonyoung but she knew her fiancé was deep in her chest with work and the last thing she wanted to do would be to interact with her parents, the exact reason why she chose to leave her hometown and migrate here. 

 

Scanning through her options again, Yujin finally came to a conclusion.

 

‘Minjoo.’

 

Yujin frantically parked her car, ignoring the snide remark from the old lady doing a poor attempt at parallel parking. She quickly rushed and scrambled to prepare herself for a simple phone call with Minjoo.

 

Wait a minute. Minjoo is hardly a friend and why am I even rushing myself to look decent just for a simple phone call? Good heavens, I really need to get a grip on myself.’

 

Yujin glanced out at the brick building again, as if expecting someone to demolish it from her view. But there it lay alone, surrounded by the shedding pair of maple trees.

 

‘What do I even expect? It’s not like I can magically ask for it to be removed from my view.’

 

After a while, the call got through and Yujin came face to face with Minjoo on the virtual screen.

 

‘Wow, even her image is just simply exquisite on the virtual screen. What more if I bump into her again?’ Yujin thought silently as she admired Minjoo’s bare face. The rectangular glasses partially hid Minjoo’s beauty but even so, Yujin couldn’t deny how each of Minjoo’s little actions spoke so much of her personality. From her neatly tucking the loose brown strands behind her right ear to her pale pink lips which gave a quaint smile every now and then to Yujin’s questions. 

 

Surely even if Minjoo could not utter a single sound, Yujin would still be able to simply envisage her plain thoughts in a bustling room.

 

A sharp beep brought Yujin back into focus on the bigger screen.

 

‘Anything you want to ask me? You seem kinda zoned out :<‘

 

Yujin gave a light chuckle before reassuring Minjoo with another lie.

 

“I was thinking about what to prepare for my dinner.”

 

Your dinner? You eat alone nowadays? What about your fiancé?’

 

“She’s busy with work.” Yujin let out an empty sigh before refocusing her attention on Minjoo. There wasn’t any point in focusing on someone who devoted more of their waking hours to their work instead of having a life.

 

‘Anyways, I wanted to ask about something. You became a little disoriented, yesterday after you saw that lady sprawled on the ground. Did it perhaps, set off a trigger from a bad memory?’

 

“I-“ Yujin took in a deep breath before she was cut off by a familiar voice.

 

“Hey, Min-min. How’s your day been going on?” A door shut softly in the background before a young lady sporting a brown bob-cut popped up on the screen.

 

Yujin could watch on the virtual screen as Minjoo received a back hug along with a little smooch, from what Yujin could presume as her significant other.

 

It was a peculiar feeling to watch Minjoo being held in the arms that weren’t hers.

 

‘Hold on. I’m not supposed to think like this.’ Yujin reasoned to herself before her intrusive thoughts entered again.

 

‘What would my parents think of me? Thinking of someone else and not Wonyoung? Allowing someone else to make me enjoy the feeling of butterflies in my stomach. Wait, scratch that, it’s better than that. It’s like feeling my soul has crawled out from the place I wished I could call ‘home’. It's as if I’m embracing life wholeheartedly.’

 

A voice snapped her out of her thoughts.

 

“Yujin? Ahn Yujin? My goodness, it really is you! I should inform the old gang. This is simply wonderful. It must be mere coincidence for you to return back and meet my lovely fiancé, Minjoo.” The short haired lady talked animatedly but none of her words went through Yujin’s mind which was comprehending the title placed on Minjoo.

 

‘Fiancé ?’

 

“Hey, Yujin. Are you alright? Oh wait, you must not be able to remember since it had been a long time ago before you went off to the city because of … Anyways, I’m Kim Chaewon. Your senior back on the football team. Number 7. Perhaps that may help jog your memory?”

 

“Chaewon, Chaeyeon,Yena, Hyewon, Sakura and… “ ,Yujin sputtered as her fogged up memory tried to grasp out in the past.

 

“Eunbi.” Chaewon neatly responded before she pulled up a chair to settle comfortably in.

 

A light chuckle rang off the virtual screen.

 

“You should always remember to pay your respects to those above you.” 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

31 January 3013, 10 p.m.

 

“You should always remember to pay your respects to those above you!” A voice bellowed out, shaking Yujin’s core eminently.

 

“Tell me you foolish brat.”, shaking Yujin by the shoulders, causing a blur of red and brown to whirl past her vision, “What exactly do you think you were doing when you forgot to bade goodbye to your grandmother? She’s reaching her late eighties and I want to keep her alive as much as I can.”

 

The young teen felt her own body slam straight onto the floor by a brute force before she was picked up like a rag doll by the owner of the voice.

 

“I don’t know. I’m sorry. Please, I’m sorry. I really am and I-“ Yujin begged frantically, her mind racing to find ways to get herself out of the mess.

 

“You’re really sorry? Oh yeah? I don’t see why you shouldn’t be one to shy away from punishments.” The voice mocked her as a sinister smile crept up the voice’s face.

 

“Please. Don’t use the belt on me. Please. I don’t want-“

 

A door slammed open and Mrs Ahn rushed in immediately, restraining her fuming husband from fetching the cane.

 

The sudden entrance slammed Yujin straight onto the floor again.

 

“Seriously, Kangdae. What’s the meaning of all this? Using physical punishment just so that your daughter can bend to your rules.”

 

“Well, she’s your daughter too! And that makes her, OUR RESPONSIBILITY! Where were you when I wanted my mother to sign the damn papers? Huh? Where were you!” Mr Ahn violently thrashed a leg into Yujin’s ribs before stalking towards Mrs Ahn.

 

“I was in the dining room as the script said.” Mrs Ahn reasoned as she backed straight into the door slowly.

 

“And I suppose, that one of the lines in the script said to be straight up flirting with my younger foolish brother.”

 

“I-“ Mrs Ahn sputtered as she d a way out of the situation too.

 

Yujin coughed up dried bits of blood as she struggled to crawl away in a pathetic heap.

 

“Foolish woman. You never seem to get past one plus one, don’t you? My role is made to pocket the earnings of my filthy rich mother and you are simply the lowly garbage partner to pick up after my mess.”

 

“I am sick and tired of my role of someone who is always in someone’s shadow. Tailing behind like a useless piece of dust.” Mrs Ahn retorted back.

 

“Then go on. Inform the authorities. Why not? There’s plenty of understudies who would be glad to take on your role with even more gusto than you could offer.” The voice tauntingly mocked Mrs Ahn’s whiny voice.

 

 “And maybe to kill two birds with one stone, why don’t I spill the beans that I had informed the authorities that you have been abusing our daughter for the past few months?”

 

“You what-“

 

“OPEN UP! THIS IS THE EXERCITUS FROM NOVAE TERRAE. WE ARE HERE TO REPLACE AHN KANGDAE AND AHN SOO JIN. FAILURE TO COOPERATE WITH US WILL RESULT IN TERRIBLE CONSEQUENCES.”

 

“Oh. I see it. What a nice little trap you have set for the two of us. Maybe if we take our child down too, it would be simply marvellous. Wouldn’t it, eh? We can complete the family picture, full of psychotic-“

 

The door slammed open on Mr Ahn as masked soldiers filed straight into the tiny room, forcing Yujin deeper into her little corner.

 

“Hey, watch where you put those boots on.” Mr Ahn yelled as he struggled to get out from the trampling mess.

 

Two soldiers linked their arms round Mr Ahn with the last pointing a gun straight on his forehead.

 

“TARGET AHN KANGDAE ACQUIRED! TRY ANYTHING FUNNY AND I’LL BLAST EVERY PARAMETER OF YOUR BRAIN INTO YOUR SKULL!”

 

As everything went downhill, Mrs Ahn had fled to Yujin’s corner before hastily placing the girl in front of her as a shield.

 

She quickly d round her jacket for something and withdrew a shotgun swiftly, placing the cold front tip of the barrel on the right of Yujin’s forehead.

 

“Go any closer and I’ll blow every bit of her brain.” Mrs Ahn shrilly screamed as she whipped around frantically, with Yujin struggling to take deep breaths with a broken rib.

 

“AHN SOO JIN, YOU KNOW VERY WELL THAT YOUR TIME HERE IS OVER SO KINDLY HAND ME YOUR DAUGHTER.” An Exercitus negotiated whilst holding up a gun in place.

 

“SHE’S NOT MY DAUGHTER. SHE’S YOURS YOU SICK SON OF A BXXTCH. EVERYONE HERE IS YOURS. EVERYONE HERE IS YOUR DAMN PUPPET TO PLAY WITH. WHY NOT LET ME HAVE HER GO DOWN WITH ME. AT LEAST I WON’T BE LONELY IN THE BEYOND.

 

“I guess you left me with no other choice. Partners, get her.”

 

Bullets ricocheted off shields as the Exercitus closed in on the pair.

 

A loud bang ensued followed by an excruciating sound from behind.

 

Yujin felt the deathly tight grip round her neck slowly weakening as she was promptly hauled away by a masked Exercitus.

 

“Give her a dose of the obliviscar shot and we’ll have the house ready before her neighbours wake up to such abnormality. Thank goodness we had a stock of understudies for the girl’s parents. Who knew each one of them turned out worse than the past?”

 

“My mother… “ Yujin drawled out groggily as she was gingerly placed on a stretcher.

 

“You’ve got a new set of parents now, kiddo. And why don’t you keep this incident, a tiny little secret between the both of us.”

 

Letting out a sinister laugh, the leader of the pack muttered darkly, “Either way, there’s no point in keeping in since you’ll forget about it eventually.”

 

“I’ll remember it and get back at you for doing this.” Yujin spat out as she struggled to stand up despite being pinned down heavily by the armed men.

 

“Oh really? Then you’re looking for the wrong person. They’re just right under your nose, you know. Take that little hint to heart, sweetheart.” 

 

Yujin could only watch helplessly as her vision blurred, the lines of the furniture blending into themselves.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

12 April 3018, 10.17 a.m.

 

“Yujin, are you with me?” A voice broke Yujin out of her stupor, which sent her mind stumbling back to the present.

 

“What? Sorry, I apologise for my little out of the world moment. I was busy thinking about personal matters.”

 

“Oh, it’s fine with me. My fiancé and I were wondering if you would like to join the neighbourhood in our local barbecue fiesta, up in the nearby mountains. Next Saturday in the afternoon because it gets plenty warm in the morning. Plus the evening air up in those mountains makes up for the mosquito bites.”

 

“That’s really great. I mean, thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I’ll be sure to inform my fiancé. Anyways, I think that’s quite a long conversation we had today. How about we continue it next Saturday?”

 

Without waiting for Chaewon’s warm farewell, Yujin shut the monitor swiftly.

 

The distant memory slightly tickled her frayed nerves.

 

“Now this strange memory comes up in my empty brain. What else can this town even offer me? A potion for my sanity?” 

 

Letting out a defeated chuckle, Yujin slumped into the navy couch, closing her eyes to allow a little comforting sleep wash over her.

 

Clouds fluttered past the neighbourhood, providing a slight shade to the citizens, leading to their lives as normal as possible. Soon enough, the warm orange glow of the sunset came waving through Yujin’s window.

 

Flicking one eye open, Yujin groaned to herself over the responsibilities she had to deal with once she had stepped out of her little bubble of sleep.

 

A click in the front door echoed through the apartment as a weary Wonyoung trudged in, a thick pile of Manila folders in one hand and a crumpled tailored sleek black jacket in the other hand, clinging tightly on her fingers.

 

“Had a nice nap, dear?” Wonyoung smiled sweetly despite her tired outlook.

 

Fiddling with her fingers, Yujin plucked up the courage to ask her fiancé.

 

“Yes. I mingled in with the neighbours when you were away and they invited us to their local barbecue fiesta this coming Saturday. So I was wondering if you’d-“ 

 

“Go? It’s a wonderful opportunity., dear. I don’t see any perfectly good reason why we shouldn’t go. That reminds me, I should cook my recipe for haemul paejeon. What do you think, dear?” Wonyoung called out from the bedroom.

 

“Dear?” Wonyoung poked her head out of the room, catching Yujin absentmindedly fiddling with her fingers.

 

“Huh? Oh yeah. We should- I mean you should definitely cook the seafood scallion pancakes.” Yujin muttered as she plucked herself from the sofa, heading towards the kitchen to pour herself a cup of chamomile tea.

 

“Dear, are you okay? Is the stress of mingling with people getting to you? I’m sorry it’s just that I’ve been handling that stubborn old lady’s case for nearly months now and-“

 

“Wonyoung, I’m fine. It’s okay. You don’t have to worry about me all the time. Besides, I’ve got to report back to work tomorrow and there’s a decent coffee shop nearby so I can get my caffeine fix.” Yujin reassured her while taking a sip out of her cup, enjoying how the brick building stood proud in its lane.

 

“That’s great. Anyways, the least of my worries aside, have you still been able to see that building?” Wonyoung treaded carefully as she lurked near the door.

 

With a well timed pause, Yujin spoke smoothly, “No. You were right about those hallucinations and-“

 

“Well, I’m always right.” Wonyoung smirked before trudging towards Yujin.

 

With slender arms snaking round Yujin’s waist, Yujin immediately got the cue and set her cup down on the Yale blue marble countertop, her gaze shifting from the building to her own glazed reflection on the cabinet.

 

“You know, it’s been long since we had a little cuddle and I could do with one before Mrs Chase calls on me.”

 

“Well, I don’t see any perfectly good reason why we shouldn’t cuddle before heading off to bedtime.”

 

And with that, Yujin swiftly swept Wonyoung off her feet and dived straight into the bed, holding Wonyoung even more tightly than she enjoyed.

 

Kisses were peppered on each other’s face, yet none voluntarily came from Yujin to her fiancé’s lips.

 

In the midst of all this, Minjoo kept creeping up the back of Yujin’s mind like an untreated itch.

 

Yujin tried her best to push it away by voluntarily pressing herself on Wonyoung, peppering her with pecks, each one filled with more fervour.

 

One peck landed on Wonyoung’s forehead and this brought Yujin to think of Minjoo’s beguiling mind, which constantly churned with questions which the universe had no answers for yet Yujin knew how to exactly answer it the way Minjoo wanted.

 

Second peck landed on Wonyoung’s pink cheekbones, forcing Yujin to rewind her short period with Minjoo’s cute little dips in her pale skin, the Indian dimples which Yujin felt like she could simply swim a whole round more than a normal Olympic sized pool and not feel an inch of exhaustion.

 

Third peck landed on Wonyoung’s chapped lips, well not entirely covering her lips for Yujin couldn’t bring herself to kiss them fully. Allowing herself another invasive thought, Yujin thought of how Minjoo’s soft cherry lips would move against hers. A muscle moving against another seamlessly, filling up the gaps that their lovers couldn’t offer to themselves.

 

For the cherry on top, Yujin inhaled slowly, allowing Minjoo’s faint lavender perfume to hit her like a frying pan to the back of her head.

 

‘Oh .’ Yujin could mumble to herself as she felt herself immersed in the arms of a complete stranger.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

18 April 3018, 11 a.m.

 

A black Hyundai car rolled up to a smoking hot barbecue, the sizzling of tender juicy chicken thighs along with the scent of burnt charcoal filling the air.

 

Gravel flew up the air, peppering the strolling residents with little broken bits of pebbles. A quick apology was briefly exchanged as the pair made their way to the fiesta, a few platters of haemul daejeon in tow.

 

“Hey Yujin! Glad you can come along with your fiancé … “ Chaewon was left hanging briefly as she struck out her hand to shake Yujin’s hands, moving on swiftly to shake Wonyoung’s outstretched right hand.

 

“Wonyoung is the name. This is such a wonderful party and … “

 

Without waiting for Wonyoung to continue on, Yujin headed off towards Minjoo who was struggling with a sack of charcoal.

 

Taking it without any exchange of words, Yujin heaved it on her shoulders, a slight dimple popping out as she asked.

 

“Just guide me where to deposit this and I’ll carry it in return.” 

 

Minjoo nodded wordlessly as she guided Yujin through a mass of half drunk people as smoke clouded their vision.

 

With everything settled in, Yujin grabbed a bottle of apple cider and clinked bottles with the others who had definitely downed more than they could handle. Effortlessly mingling round the bonfire, Yujin took occasional glances at Minjoo who stood next to Chaewon, handing out conserved smiles.

 

Peals of laughter filled the air as throwback songs blasted loudly on the portable speaker. It was just a moving portrait of a controlled chaos of drunk people as the sun began to set.

 

As the crowd slowly died down, so did their appetites and it was only left with Chaewon leaning against Minjoo, their hands clasped tightly as if they didn’t want to let each other go.

 

Yujin could watch in silence past the crawling spits of the bonfire as she clasped her bare hands tightly. Seeing this, Wonyoung attempted to slip her slender hand into Yujin’s empty ones. 

 

But alas, the effort went to waste with Yujin getting up, heading straight for the forest, mumbling in a drunken tone about having to do a number one.

 

With a full bottle of apple cider, Yujin drunkenly stumbled into the forest. 

 

Branches crunched softly behind, forcing Yujin to complain out loud as she took a swig from her glass.

 

“Look, I don’t need someone to help me pull down my pants or-“ Yujin spun around coming face to face with Minjoo who held a torchlight, a worried expression etched on her face, a whiff of lavender perfume hung in the air.

 

“Minjoo?”

 

Fumbling round for her phone, Yujin watched on as she emptied the apple cider. With a bit of liquid courage, it would benefit her frayed nerves from running loose.

 

‘Chaewon told me to follow you here. In case you get lost and especially since you didn’t bring any phones with you.’

 

“Well, thank you.” Yujin gave a curt response as she twirled the bottles in her fingers.

 

‘Anyways, do you want to tell me something? You kept glancing at me since the start. Is there something that you would want to spill?’

 

‘I want to spill about how much you have invaded every corner of my thoughts. How much I crave for your physical existence but yet I want to wipe such desires away from me. Just for your sake.’ Yujin silently thought as she opened to speak the opposite.

 

Taking a step forward, Yujin felt a sudden bout of pent up rage rising in her.

 

“I hate how every glance towards me, your eyes ask for a question that our world has no answer for but yet, I find myself answering it without needing the help of anyone.” 

 

“I despise every dimpled person in this world for they remind of how I have simply no chance to take you on as someone beyond the label as neighbours and even better the deeper their dimples are, the more I find myself drowning into your charms.”

 

“And I hate your lips. Your lips which are only reserved for someone out there. Your lips which have no purpose in enunciating your silent words. Your lips which I constantly find myself thinking of how easily I could fill up the gap that your lover can’t satisfy.”

 

With a dejected sigh, Yujin turned slowly on her heels, knowing very well that there was no point in staying behind listening to a mute person’s voice.

 

A sudden tug on her denim jacket brought the drunk person to a halting stop. 

 

Yujin turned around swiftly, thinking silently, “Maybe if I took responsibility, this wouldn’t go astray.”

 

A pair of cherry lips landed on chapped ones, a muscle moving against a still one. 

 

“ taking responsibilities.” The chapped lips muttered before delving in deeper into the charms of the pair of cherry lips.

 

Two pairs of umber brown eyes, one filled with impossible questions that the universe had no answer for and the other filled with answers to those questions.

 

One pair of acquaintances enjoying what that moment could simply offer to them.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

18 April 3019, 11 p.m.

 

A year passed and in that year, Yujin learned how time can fly before she could grasp and hold onto that memory.

 

Running her hair through her chestnut hair, Yujin waited patiently at the entrance of the red brick building as she found herself rewinding her memories with Minjoo.

 

From confessing over being able to see the red brick building, to revisiting her traumatic experiences of forcing herself over the edge of life just to meet her parent’s expectations. Yujin poured out everything that she could hold just for Minjoo to hold on to.

 

It certainly wasn’t easy having to hide such a relationship especially with eyes lurking around the street corners, they were able to make it work with their manipulative minds.

 

A whiff of lavender perfume invaded Yujin’s senses and this lit a dimpled smile on her face.

 

Minjoo trudged down, carrying a packet of beer cans as she gave a weak smile which didn’t go unnoticed by Yujin.

 

“Bad day at work?” Yujin took the packet as she ushered Minjoo in promptly.

 

A slight nod was all she received in return as she cracked open a can, enjoying how the slight bitter taste engulfed her taste buds.

 

“You know, I wonder how we even manage to hold onto this secret rendezvous for so long. Well I don’t include being under my parent’s control for the past 20 plus years as enjoyable in the least. I mean, imagine having the privilege to ponder over useless questions such as whether my parents would buy me that bicycle I wanted or how did this flower even come about?”

 

Taking another mouthful of beer, Yujin mumbled.

 

“Thinking about it, children really have ridiculous thoughts but anyways, I was never given that single sliver of privilege. More like I had no room to ponder over such useless questions. I was forced to follow stupid lines from a stupid script. Being far away from them and here with you has provided me with that sliver of privilege. Just to be able to feel plain emotions and walk with life. Being able to have the chance to have a responsibility over my future with you in the picture. And I hope no one will take that away from me from now on.”

 

Another swig of beer went straight down as Yujin lightly joked.

 

“You know, you are awfully lot more quieter today. Like I know you can’t speak and all but still this silence is even more pressing, today for some reason.”

 

Yujin took a quick glance, just in time to catch Minjoo looking on with an empty expression.

 

“Hey, are you -“

 

“OPEN UP! THIS IS THE EXERCITUS FROM NOVAE TERRAE. WE ARE HERE TO REPLACE AHN YUJIN. FAILURE TO COOPERATE WILL RESULT IN TERRIBLE CONSEQUENCES.”

 

“Minjoo? What’s the meaning of this? Did you report this to them? To my parents? Minjoo, please answer me? Give me a little nod or -“

 

A loud crash shook the building as sawdust clouded Yujin’s vision.

 

Blindly grasping around for anything to hold on, Yujin felt her life slowly seeping out of her as she muttered the last drop of strength to look towards Minjoo who was staring stoically into space, murmuring heavily to herself.

 

‘Why is Minjoo not doing anything? Wait, why is she even making noise?’ Yujin could only think silently as she was hurled away like a rag doll, her golden frames knocked askew to the ground.

 

Yujin could only glimpse in a heavily drowsy state as Minjoo mouthed a phrase before a black blanket engulfed her mind.

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

18 April 3019, 6 p.m.

 

A knock on a brass door forced the founder to look up from her towering piles of Manila folders.

 

“Come in.” A curt voice replied as she pushed up her white framed spectacles.

 

A pair of Exercitus entered, wheeling in a stainless steel table which held a single shot of indigo liquid as a pair of doctors followed suit, closing the door on the entire operation.

 

“Miss Kim Minjoo, are you ready to hand over your role to Kim Minjoo, Hominum 277?”

 

“Yes, Mrs Ahn and Mr Ahn. I’ve set up this complex structure and what is the point if the founder doesn’t comply with the rules they have set out for their citizens to comply with. You know, I have to take responsibility for it. That’s what a good leader would do and what Yujin would have wanted. For me to take responsibility over our future.”

 

“That’s a very wise decision and indeed Novae Terrae would like to extend their gratitude to our leader who has upheld their responsibility. And with that, I would be pleased to say that we would replace Kim Minjoo with her ‘understudy’. Completely void of emotions and exactly programmed to follow the lines stated in their scripts.”

 

Minjoo smiled softly as she rolled up the white sleeves of her lab coat, allowing the Exercitus to apply a cooling sheen of alcohol on her arm.

 

The fading sun glinting off the thin needle as the indigo liquid which held enough to completely devoid her of life, trickled menacingly down the sharp edge.

 

“Would you like a moment to recollect any memories?” Mr Ahn offered as he peered at his watch.

 

“Well if possible please, prepare the recorder. I never had any chance to use my voice to tell a certain someone, some things.”

 

“Of course, you may. You are the leader for a reason. You can request anything that you wish for.”

 

A recorder was whisked into the room promptly, with Mr Ahn inviting Minjoo to speak her thoughts.

 

“First off, I would like to extend my gratitude to Mr Ahn Kangdae and Mrs Ahn Soojin for lending their beloved child for this experiment despite being co-partners in this project. With no doubt, you have assisted in moulding Yujin into who she was through different means even if that means having to undergo different sets of ‘understudies’ per change.”

 

“It was nothing, Miss Kim.” Mrs Ahn flattered by the sudden appraisal, causing her to stammer out.

 

“Thank you and to move on. To Ahn Yujin. Just when I thought I had the answers to everything that the universe had challenged me to from being able to make myself immortal to opening another gateway in the galaxy, you rolled into town. Sick of the simulation. Sick of the script. Sick of everything. You slept peacefully unlike the contorting screams that I hear from others. It was then that I realised that you were a glitch in the system. A perfect glitch for me to toy around with which was further confirmed when you could only see the red brick buildings, designed to seek out glitches. And in return, you caused me to glitch briefly when I peered into your eyes which held answers to questions that I previously hadn’t thought of before. You forced me to go mute which was a new experience for I wouldn’t be able to fully explain my thoughts or even convey as much of emotions as I had wanted.”

 

Minjoo took in a deep breath, steadying her nerves.

 

“But either way, your experiences from living in a society which held abnormally high expectations against you had left me. Mute. I watched your thoughts and realised that you had a slight taste of what it felt to be betraying against this system in that car of yours after you had dropped me off at the house. You enjoyed the slight thrill owing to you having to closely follow expectations of your parents. And you felt that thrill again when you made out with another Hominum, but this time round, you rode it like a rollercoaster.”

 

Minjoo choked back a tear as she struggled to continue on.

 

“Then finally, I had you invited to the fiesta and my heart went into a siesta mode when you laid out your raw emotions for me to observe as a fine specimen. In the heat of the moment, my emotions overruled my regard for each subject as a specimen to this system and I gave into my heart’s desire. This has deeply upset the council of Novae Terrae and as a responsible leader, I would have to face the consequences of my own actions. I have designated a script for myself and I have signed the contract. One must always uphold the deal. Regardless of whether one is dealing with the devil or the better devil. And with that, this is Kim Minjoo. Founder of Novae Terrae signing off.”

 

“Insert the Obliviscar now.” Mrs Ahn curly replied, forcing the Exercitus to move into position before they inserted the needle, draining it completely of the indigo liquid.

 

Minjoo blinked slowly before opening , letting out a little giggle.

 

One little giggle piled on top of another giggle as the rest of the personnel looked on with a lack of expression in their face. Soon enough it blew into a maniacal laugh.

 

It sounded extremely hollow as it echoed around the room in a menacing hunch.

 

Suddenly everything went still as Minjoo slumped on her desk, mouthing out a quiet phrase as a lone tear dropped from her face, perhaps from exhaustion or emotions but no one had the exact answers.

 

“Shame on myself.”

 

___________________________________________________

Hello to fellow readers and new ones alike, this is my first attempt an a dystopian based au and this is the first manuscript which means I'll upload the updated and much more clearer version at a later time along with another story in relation to this au. I hope you enjoy my take on a dystopia au and do comment if there are any lingering questions you have on this au. Do feel free to your upvotes. Other than that, Jdchrt out and have a nice morning/night to everyone