Almost

What Went Wrong?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hurry your up, Win! We’re gonna be late for the shoot!” My best friend slash business partner nagged me for the third time. I groaned, “Can you chill out? The shoot’s not gonna start for another hour and the set is just a 15-minute drive. We still have plenty of time so calm down, will you?” She just sighed and continued to arrange the papers on her table.

 

I checked my stuff if I have all my things packed. Camera bag and camera, check; extra lens, check; my hydroflask, check; phone, airpods, wallet, check.

 

I got up from my seat and went out of her office, “Let’s go, Ning.”

 

“You know for a professional photographer, you don’t really act like one,” She said to me while she put powder on her face. I can’t help but laugh at her. She gave me a glare, “What’s funny? This is like our second biggest project yet and it seems like you’re not taking it seriously!”

 

“Hey, I am taking it seriously! I just don’t see the big fuss over this project,” I argued back. We’re just a new established photography company but we’ve been getting lots of clients ever since our project with the Kangs. So, I guess we’re big time now.

 

“Are you kidding me? This is the Karina Yoo we’re talking about. She’s like the most famous model in the country right now.” I stopped on my tracks at the mention of her name. Karina Yoo. Right.

 

“So? I still don’t get why you’re getting all stressed out for this project. We’ve experienced the Kangs already.” We got out of the building, and I pressed my car keys to unlock my car. I opened the door for her before getting in myself.

 

“It’s just… We’re getting big in this industry. It’s a little overwhelming you know. I mean, who would’ve imagined that we’re going to end up making our own company? So, we really need to make this right.”

 

I sighed. I didn’t know it was that big a deal for her. It is important to me that we make this project as successful as it can be.

 

“Sorry, Ning. I am taking this seriously, I swear. And hey, don’t worry, I know our capabilities. We got this,” I assured her and she smiled at me.

 

“Your cheesiness is slipping, Kim. Just drive already.”

 

I chuckled then started the engine, “Roger that!”

 

 

We arrived at the set 30 minutes early. I could see our staff arranging the props and the decorations for the shoot. Today would be an outdoor shoot and we’re in a park with a lake nearby. I sighed. We’re really doing this, huh?

 

“Miss Kim, Miss Yizhuo! You’re here!” Our client’s secretary came unto us. I bowed and shook hands with her. Ningning did the same.

 

“It’s an honor to be in your care for this shoot,” she says. The woman beside me smiled and said, “It is our pleasure, Miss Shin. We are very lucky that you chose our company for this Prenuptial Shoot.”

 

“Oh, by the way, Miss Yoo and Mister Lee will arrive shortly.”

 

I don’t really have the knack for formalities. Ningning takes care of all those and I just take the pictures. I excused myself from them and went to help our staff.

 

After a good 15 minutes of setting up the place, they finally arrived. I was taking pictures of the venue when I saw them walking towards Ningning and Miss Shin. She’s still as beautiful as ever. They greeted each other then, my business partner turned and pointed at me. She was calling for me. Great. I hesitantly walked up to them.

 

“Hi, I will be the lead photographer for today’s shoot,” I stated. Mister Lee held out his hand for a handshake and said, “I’m Mark. Nice to meet you… Miss Kim?” I shook his hand, “Winter. You can just call me Winter. Nice to meet you too.”

 

The woman beside Mark wasn’t saying anything so I turned to her and offered my hand, “Hello, Miss Yoo. It’s nice meeting you.” She was just staring at me before saying, “Hi. We’ll be in your good hands.” She took my hand. I felt her grip my hand too tight for a handshake. I could feel the tension rising when Ningning finally interjected.

 

“So! Let us ready you both up. This way people,” she led them to the reception area of the place. I felt like I could finally breathe when they left. What was that?

 

 

“So, the theme will be like a cottage core concept,” I started. “As you can see the place looks very dreamy and I want you guys to just show the soft and peaceful side of your love with each other,” I directed before finding the right angle for them. They finished preparing and they now looked like an actual married couple. Mark was wearing a black tuxedo and Karina was in a white prairie dress. Her long black hair fell along her shoulder, and she was wearing a flower crown, so she now looked like a real goddess. I positioned myself properly before taking the picture.

 

“Karina, can you move closer to Mark?” I heard Ning who’s now behind me said to the couple. Karina scooted over and placed her hand on Mark’s shoulder. I took the picture.

 

“Now Mark, please put your hands on Karina’s waist,” Ningning said again. Mark placed his hands on Karina’s waist and smiled.

 

“Both of you look at the camera, please… Now, look at each other.” They looked at each other then they both smiled. I stopped taking pictures. They’re still smiling, staring at each other’s eyes.

 

“Are you not gonna capture that?” I heard my best friend whispered to me. I clicked the capture button.

 

“Okay, nice. You guys are really great models,” I complimented them. It’s true, they followed all our instructions perfectly and everything just seems natural. Or perhaps they’re really just in love.

 

“Later, we will be shooting on the lake. We’ll be riding a boat, so I hope you’re not uncomfortable with that.”

 

They both nodded at me, “We’ll be doing individual photoshoots first. Mark, your photographer will be Mr. Mingyu over there. Ning, please bring him to Mingyu,” She followed my instructions and led Mark to my assistant photographer. I turned to the beautiful lady, “Miss Karina, this way please. I will be taking your individual pictures.”

 

“I didn’t know you were going to be our photographer, Minjeong.” I heard her say to me. We were walking to another part of the park. I remained silent.

 

“I’m glad it was you.” I’m not. I genuinely wish I were somewhere else but here. We arrived at a small bridge on the other side of the venue.

 

“Here, this looks nice. Miss Karina, please go to the bridge,” she followed my instruction and I offered her my hand to help her which she immediately took as she got up to the bridge.

 

“Great. Now, please just be your beautiful self and smile to the camera,” she chuckled at what I said. I clicked the capture button. Pretty.

 

 

“Stop taking pictures of me, love! I just woke up.”

 

I laughed as I took another photo, “Why not? You’re my muse! Who wouldn’t want to take pictures of their muse?”

 

“I hate your cheesy ,” she rolled her eyes at me trying to suppress her smile. “No, you don’t. You love me.”

 

“True, but please stop already! I just want to cuddle with you, so come here.”

 

I smiled and put down my camera, “Okay, okay. Stop being so grumpy in the morning!”

 

 

“Look this way, please.” I took another picture, “Can you look at the sky like you’re waiting for something or someone?” She looked at me with a questioning look before realizing what I said and followed my instruction.

 

She did everything I told her to do. We’re almost done with the individual photoshoot and we’re going to start with the boat thingy now.

 

“All done. You were really great!” I saw her look away. “Thanks,” she muttered.

 

“Uhm, Min― Winter?” I turned to her, “Yes, Miss Karina?”

 

“It’s nice to finally see you,” she said reluctantly. “And I… I’m sorry. If I had known that you were going to be the photographer, I wouldn’t―”

 

“You have nothing to be sorry about, Miss Karina. Everything we do here is business. So, let’s try to be professional with each other, shall we?” I cut her off. She looked like she was going to say something, but she just stayed silent.

 

“Let’s go. They’re probably done too. Let’s get you guys to the boat.” I helped her get down from the bridge and went to where the staff were.

 

“Are you done too? Let’s wrap this up for today. It looks like it’s going to rain, so let’s just reschedule the boat shoot? Mark said they’re free next week,” She asked me when we came to them. What? It did look like it was going to rain. I just sighed and agreed with her.

 

I saw Karina went to her fiancé and hugged him. What a hectic day. I rubbed my temples and Ning looked at me concernedly, “Win, are you all right?” I turned to her and gave her a reassuring smile, “Yeah. Just stressed out, I guess. Can you handle everything here? I’ll just take a quick rest in my car.”

 

She nodded and patted me on the back, “You did great, Winter. I’ll take care of everything here.”

 

Thank heavens I have Ningning by my side. I smiled at her, then I left the venue. I walked up to my car to breathe. It was suffocating with Jimin out there. I took a deep breath and drank my water. Why did she have to say that? An email popped up on my phone. I checked it and saw that it was an invite to a photography conference in Korea next month. This is kind of huge. Should I attend? But what about the company? I groaned and turned off my phone. I don’t want to think about that right now.

 

I decided to come back and help them. And when I came back, I saw a familiar face looking at me with widened eyes.

 

“Minjeong!” she ran off to me and hugged me.

 

“Aeri! I missed you!” I hugged her back. We stayed like that for a few seconds before she let go of me. She squished my face, “You’re actually real! I missed you, my dumb chingu!”

 

“Okay, but can you let go of my face first?” I said in a muffled voice. She chuckled and let go of me. My cheeks hurt. Damn it, Aeri.

 

“Where have you been, Minjeong? It’s been like, five years?”

 

“States. I finished my program there, then I came home and started my own company,” I said while massaging my jaw. “And you? Why are you here, my dumber chingu?”

 

“Oh, I’m Karina’s maid of honor.” She stated reluctantly. I stifled a laugh, “You know, you could say that a lot better. No need to walk on thin ice with me.” She just smiled awkwardly. I saw Ning walking up to us.

 

“Uhm, Winter? Can I excuse you for a moment?” Why?

 

“Oh, Aeri, this is my business partner, Ning Yizhuo. Ning, this is Aeri Uchinaga. She’s Karina’s maid of honor,” they greeted each other and shook hands. Ning turned to me, “Win, can we talk for a while?”

 

I excused myself from Aeri to follow wherever Ning was going.

 

“What was that?” she started. What was what? I looked at her, confused by what’s going on.

 

“That was Aeri, the bride’s maid of honor,” I answered.

 

“I know who she is, Winter. What I meant was why does she know you? Why do you know her? And why does she call you Minjeong?” she bombarded me with questions. I took a deep breath before answering her, “First, Minjeong is my name, don’t you remember? We were friends before when I was still in college. She’s Karina’s best friend.”

 

She was looking at me trying to process everything I just said. She blinked, “So, you know Karina?”

 

“Yeah. She… she was an ex? No, an old fling from college.” I said which widened her eyes, “What the hell, Kim Minjeong?”

 

“Hey! Don’t call me that.”

 

“What? You said that was your name,” she countered. “But that doesn’t matter right now. What the hell Winter? Why didn’t you tell me this?”

 

“I don’t see why it’s important. It was just an old college fling,” I explained. She looked at me suspiciously, “How long were you guys a ‘fling’?” she asked quoting the fling word.

 

“For almost… a year?” She gasped, “One year? A fling of one year? You’re kidding, right?”

 

“What? We never had an official relationship,” I said defending myself. I’m not liking this conversation at all.

 

“Go tell yourself that, Kim. So, are you okay? You know, taking wedding photos of the love of your life with another man?” she asked then she realized something, “Oh my God! I even asked for them to get closer to each other during the shoot. Sorry, man.” Sometimes, I don’t know if N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter