The day

My crush

Today is the day where I’m finally going to confess. Thank God it’s April, I can back out and pretend like it’s an April fool if our feelings are not mutual. I’m planning to confess my feelings to Jk after 3 years of silently crushing over him. I’m super nervous but I’ve thought about this a lot the past 3 months. I have only a few months left before graduating from high school and this is my only chance. My best friend told me that I’ll never know if I never ask. I’ve planned everything out and I hope things go smoothly. I’m super scared that once I’m in front of him, I’ll be frozen and can’t say anything because the last time he passed me a paper, I couldn’t even say ‘thank you’ to him.

‘You can do this gal, fighting!’ my friend patted my back and pushed me out of the class. It’s now recess time and Jk’s always in the library during the recess. I’ve bought a gift of him and it’s inside my pocket right now. It’s a keychain of a small treadmill because I know he loves exercising. I can’t afford a real treadmill yet, I hope he understands. As I reached the library, I saw him. His back was facing me. I suddenly started sweating even though the library was fully air conditioned. ‘I can do this, I can do this’ I silently thought to myself before making my way towards him.

‘Hi Jk, I have something to say to you’ I said after sitting across him.

Jk surprised, stopped reading his comic and gazed at me ‘You were saying something?’

‘Ummm’ my throat suddenly feels so dry, should I just run away right now. No, I’ve practiced this many times, I can do this. ‘Jk, do you know my name?’

Jk shyly laughed at that ‘Seri. How could I not know, we’ve been classmates for 3 years.’

‘Do u like me?’ I asked. ‘Wait, sorry, delete that please. I forgot my original script. It should have been “I like you” first’.

Silence…

‘I have a favor Jk, can you please pretend like the last five minutes had never happened because I messed up. I’ll start over again’

‘I’ve liked you for quite some time, I admire you. I would like to know your feelings towards me and I hope you can be honest with me. If you don’t like me, you can clearly say so because I think it will hurt less to know now than to wait for another five years for an answer.’

‘And I have a gift for you. Even if you reject me, I still hope you can accept this little gift from me. Just think that it’s a gift from your classmate because even if I can’t like you as a girl to a guy kind of relationship, I still respect you and admire you a lot as a human being.’

‘So, did it work out?’ my best friend excitedly pulled me over.

‘Nope it didn’t ’, hug me please, I need it a lot.’ She pulled me into a hug.

‘He said he was sorry, he likes another girl. After he said that, I forgot my April fool line.’

‘He didn’t know how much he lost by not accepting you’ my friend replied.

I laughed at that.

‘At least, he accepted my gift and thanked me. He said it was cute and he liked it. He’s a gentleman, I can’t hate him even if he doesn’t like me back. I wonder who that lucky girl is and I wonder whether I’ll be able to ever like any other man after this.’

I walked over to my desk and sat. I noticed a card on my table. I opened it.

‘April food together this Saturday? I’m Jin, your deskmate in case you didn’t notice’

THE END…