1 of 1

Valentine's day doesn't seem so bad

It was already late, what was Chaewon doing? It was cold outside but she ignored the eerie feeling of being alone in a dark street as she sat on a nearby bench. She had snuck out despite knowing the consequences. She should’ve been asleep right now, but here she was looking around in hopes that she would eventually arrive. Chaewon originally did not want to go outside knowing that it was already late, but how can she say no to her?

Chaewon yawns and tries to warm herself, she should’ve been sleeping right now knowing that she still had classes in the morning but seeing that she was already here, it left her with no other choice but to wait.

(

The loud ringing tone coming from her phone had caused her to wake up as she sat up and ignore the headache that she received from sitting up so suddenly. Who in their right mind would call at some ungodly hour?

The feeling of irritation had dissolved when she had a better look as to who had called her. Smiling to herself as she answers the call

It was Yena who called her.

“Yena unnie?” Chaewon clears as she realizes when her voice would clearly give off that Yena had woken her up. “Oh, did I wake you up?” Chaewon, although aware that Yena couldn’t see, shook her head furiously. “No, you didn't, I was actually going to head to bed soon, why?” Chaewon lies as she glances at the wall clock that was placed on the right side of her wall.

It was already 2:53 am. Why was Yena calling her this late? Was it so urgent that Yena couldn’t wait until they saw each other at school?

“Chae?” Chaewon had eventually realized that she was suddenly quiet as she shook her head as well as pinching herself. “Hm? What is it unnie?”

“I know its late, but can we meet up?”

“Right now? At our usual spot?” Chaewon was starting to feel worried when Yena had asked to meet, was there something wrong? “Yeah there, can we meet up there?”

Chaewon hesitated, should she really sneak out just to see Yena? But then again, Yena must’ve wanted to tell her something important, but why not just say it since they’re calling right now. Chaewon is well-aware that if she had tried to snuck out, she would most likely be scolded by her parents.

But the thing is, she had failed to notice that she was quick to change her clothes as well as storming out of her place ignoring as to how much noise she had made.

Kim Chaewon was blinded by love that she had set aside the consequences if she was caught.

)

By the time that she had stopped her tracks, her palms resting on her knees, she catches her breath. Looking up expecting to see Yena but was confused when she saw that no one was there. It was only then Chaewon had remembered how much of a ruckus she had made just by trying to leave her place. Fear slowly crept in as she stood under the waiting shed.

Without realizing 20 minutes had passed by and it had already been thirty minutes since she started waiting for Yena.

Chaewon had pulled her jacket closer as she felt cold. She doesn’t understand whether she was feeling cold because of the weather or the fact that her parents might find out about her sneaking out. Her thoughts right after thinking about the consequences went back to Yena, what was taking the older so long?

Chaewon swore she blinked before realizing that it had already been an hour since she had started waiting for Yena.

Furrowing her eyebrows, her breath started hitching at the soft sound of leaves falling and landing on the waiting shed. “What’s taking her so long?” Pocketing her phone after sending one message after another, asking about Yena’s whereabouts. Sighing as she receives nothing, no replies and her texts were only delivered and not read. Even her calls would go straight to the voice mail. Chaewon had tried to convince herself that maybe Yena was already on her way to their usual spot.

Standing up to stretch after sitting down ever since she had got her, worry had washed over as it had been an hour and 30 minutes since she had waited for Yena.

Chaewon wanted to visit Yena’s place but knowing the distance between their spot and Yena’s place would cost a lot of time, but despite that, Chaewon is sure that it would take less than an hour to reach here either by walking or running.

What if something had happened to Yena when she was on her way here?

Calling Yena for the nth time and hoped that she would eventually answer and would not be sent straight to the voicemail. Sighing in relief when it starts ringing. Yena must’ve her phone by now. Biting her lower lip as her right foot taps on the concrete ground letting out a soft tapping sound. “Please pick up, please pick up.” Chaewon chanted as her eyes were fixated on the ground.

Hearing that the call had been answered, Chaewon looked up, hoping to see Yena but was left disappointed when she saw that no one was still nearby. “Yena unnie! I’ve been waiting here for an hour and thirty minutes, where ar-”

“No you don’t understand, I have to go meet Chaewon.” Checking the caller’s ID to see if she had really called Yena and it seemed like she did call Yena, but why did it seem like Yena’s phone seemed a bit far? Despite the distance, Chaewon could faintly hear someone else’s voice. “Then you’ll break up with her, right? I still like you too, Yen.” Although the voice sounded familiar it seemed as though Chaewon’s mind had been shut down as she hears her own heart crack as she listens to the conversation.

She knows that she shouldn’t even be eavesdropping, but seeing how the topic was about their relationship, Chaewon couldn’t help but stay and listen. “Yul, please I really need to go.” Chaewon was a tad bit proud that Yena was trying hard, but those thoughts were erased as she had realized that it seemed like Yena had given in to Yuri’s pleas as Chaewon ended the call before releasing a shaky breath.

Surely what Chaewon must’ve heard was not true, right? Surely it was just a measly prank, right? Surely Yena must’ve been joking with her. There was no way that Yena would be with Yuri during this hour, the hour where they were supposed to meet.

Chaewon should’ve gone home after what she had heard but she wanted to make sure that Yena would actually show up and so she stayed. She stayed in the same spot. Waiting for Yena to just show up.

Two hours passed by and Yena never showed up.

Flinching when she feels her phone vibrating, she hastily grabs it only to drop it the moment that she had seen who was calling her. Her family was calling her.

Feeling the panic sinking in, she snatches her phone that she had dropped before rushing home. Still feeling her phone vibrate, she continues to ignore it as she runs all the way home.

As she had run as if her life depended on it, there were tears that had spilled every time she would take a step forward. Everything seemed so blurry as her tears had blocked partially of her clear vision, however the tears wouldn’t stop falling she continued to run not bothering to listen to her legs that were practically begging her to take a break and rest. The faster she ran, the faster the tears had dropped.

All the emotions had come rushing in but Chaewon had felt disappointment the most, but not towards Yena, but towards herself. What was she thinking? It was starting to make sense the more Chaewon thought about it. Yena and Yuri had been together awfully a lot but Chaewon had always brushed it aside as she knew that she should let Yena hang out with her friends.

Chaewon could taste the bitterness as she thinks about those times where she would catch Yena and Yuri being extra clingy. Chaewon felt bitter at the thought of Yena and Yuri actually looking better together.

Her legs were starting to give in to the fatigue as she slows down, thankfully she sees the familiar gate as she enters and sees that her parents were waiting for her. Knowing that she was going to get scolded she catches her breath. “Where were you?”

“I went out to jog.” Clearing as she stands up straight again. Her parents looked puzzled before seeing that it was already quarter to 5 in the morning. To Chaewon’s surprise, her parents had only told her to shower and prepare for school.

She was about to ask whether or not she would be scolded but she had refrained herself as she quickly made her way to her room.

Chaewon stares blankly at a certain cabinet that had a lock. Grabbing the keys that were hidden under the bed, she unlocks the cabinet and there reveals a box, filled with the gifts Yena had given her before. Letters from Yena, polaroid pictures of Yena or pictures of them.

Closing the box as she held onto it tightly as tears had started falling again, her legs felt weak as she eventually stumbled. She smiled bitterly as she looked at all the pictures she had as well as reminiscing the time when the picture had been taken.

Kim Chaewon feels nothing but bitterness as she prepares for school. The bitter feeling that to Yena, Chaewon wasn’t enough. The bitter feeling that to Yena, Chaewon was a mere distraction. Chaewon knows that this bitter feeling won’t go away.