One Shot

A Different Night

Today was the day that Jiwoo had been looking forward to the most. Should she wear peach dress? Sooyoung always mentioned that peach look great on her. Jiwoo had changed at least to 10 different outfits just for tonight’s date, but it didn’t exhaust her at all.  

 

The love of her life finally came back from the States to meet her. How could she not get excited by this? It’d been over 2 years since Sooyoung left for her master degree abroad.  

 

Jiwoo felt that she’s the luckiest girl in the world because of the love she received from Sooyoung. Sooyoung was nothing but such a sweet and caring girlfriend. LDR was hard at first since Jiwoo missed the existence of her other half; however, Sooyoung’s dream was always to get into Harvard (with scholarship). That girl was such a genius and it would be a waste not to accept the scholarship she was working so hard for.  

 

They first met in university, with help of Jungeun. To be specific, Jinsol introduced them together. Jiwoo and Jungeun were freshmen in Music, Jinsol’s junior in Science and Sooyoung’s junior in Law. How did Jungeun and Jinsol met? It began like a drama where the protagonists bumped into each other at the stair, and then there’s sparkle everywhere around them.

 

Jiwoo was always complaining the PDA of Jungeun & Jinsol in her shared dorm with Jungeun. Their relationship made her feel lonely as hell. Meanwhile, Jinsol’s roommate & bestfriend complained the same thing – so why not just match them?  

 

The first blind date almost did not go well for 2 different reasons. One, Kim Jungeun set the double date at a club. Yes, a crowd club where they can barely talk or interact. Two, It’s Ha Sooyoung. The most gorgeous & outstanding upperclass junior in Law Major at their university.

 

“Don’t you think she is way out of my league?” Jiwoo shouted to Jungeun. Yes, they needed to shout to communicate.

“WHAT?” Jungeun replied back.  

“I said…don’t you-” Jiwoo did her best at 2nd attempt.

“I CAN’T HEAR YOU!” Jungeun then turned to Jinsol, “Let’s go to the dance floor, babe!” and they left her and Sooyoung at the seat.

 

It was awkward. Sooyoung didn’t look like she was comfortable either, sitting infront of her. They just smiled at each other politely. Yes, the date definitely went well.

 

Jiwoo swore that there’s different girls keep coming to their seat, and wanted to talk with Sooyoung. It seemed the girl was popular and attractive. There’s no chance for Jiwoo.

 

Sooyoung, on the other hand, kept rejecting their advancement and moved closer to sit next to Jiwoo. Jiwoo turned shy at the moment, and kept her eyes busy looking at elsewhere. When she looked at the dance floor, she saw Jungeun & Jinsol were all over each other. She bet the night didn’t end just here.

 

“Do you want to go outside instead?” Sooyoung asked her loudly, and Jiwoo was glad. Phew. She needed a break outside of the club anyway. It’s never her cup of tea.

 

“Yes. I can’t stand watching them anyway!”

 

“Me either!” Sooyoung flashed a smile at her; it seemed they had something in common after all.  

 

They really left the club, and their friends there. They surely could deal with going home by themselves. Jiwoo bet it would be her dorm that they would crash into tonight.

 

“I think you would want to stay outside tonight?” it was the first thing Sooyoung said to her after leaving the club. They now walked aimlessly to the dorm location, “Since I am sure they would head to settle at your place.”

 

“Tell me about it.” Then they laughed knowingly.

 

“That’s why I banned Jinsol from bringing anyone to our shared room. This girl can’t never keep it quiet.”

 

“and that explained why she keep coming to my place!” Jiwoo faked gasp at Sooyoung’s confession. Sooyoung smiled apologetically at her. Gosh, her smile totally brightened up the dark street!

 

While walking in silence, Jiwoo’s head was full of assumption and messy train of thought. “I am sorry.”

 

“For what?” Sooyoung stopped and looked at her attentively.

 

“For being the reason you reject other girls back in the club.” Jiwoo explained, “this is a mistake…”


“Jiwoo…I wasn’t looking for flings” It’s true that Sooyoung always get admirers but none of them were looking for serious relationship. Sooyoung was looking for more, “and I think…you are cute.”

 

Jiwoo looked up to meet Sooyoung’s eyes and they were sincere, but her insecure was still there. “T-thanks.”

 

Out of many admirers, Sooyoung must say that Jiwoo was definitely different. Something about this girl attracted her.

 

“Jiwoo, can we meet again?” it’s now or never. Sooyoung wanted to try again. She wanted to know Jiwoo better.


“I-is that a date?”

 

“Yes…a date. A proper one, I promise.”

 

That one date turned to many and more dates. Sooyoung was right. There’s so much more to Jiwoo. Jiwoo can be shy at first, but really, Jiwoo was such an energetic and positive person to her life.

 

Jiwoo made her life different.

 

It took them less than 5 dates to finally come into official label. Sooyoung asked first, and Jiwoo agreed in a heartbeat. Despite different passion and goal, their personality complimented each other wonderfully. They made each other less lonely, most importantly, they were meant for each other.

 

“At this rate, why don’t you just move to Sooyoung’s room, and let Jinsol move here instead?”

 

That night, Jinsol was busy working on her assignment. Not to distract Jinsol, Sooyoung came to Jiwoo and Jungeun’s place instead. The moment she stepped inside, their mouths were never away from each other. Yes, infront of Kim Jungeun.

 

Jiwoo wanted to replied back but Sooyoung kept her busy.

 

“and hello. I am here too!!” Jungeun complained…just like how Jiwoo complained to her some months ago.

 

They finally needed breath, and Jiwoo replied back after getting some air, “You see…We would never get work done.” Sooyoung agreed silently.

 

“Control your hormone!” Jungeun shouted at them, and they both looked at her in surprise.

 

“Hey! I could say the same!” Sooyoung debated.

 

So, they agreed to stay that way. Plus, Jiwoo and Jungeun had always been bestfriend since highschool – it would be weird to live without Jungeun. They however also agreed to stay wholesome infront of each other.  

 

Throughout their relationship, Sooyoung treated her like a princess. Jiwoo never questioned, and trusted Sooyoung with her all. Sooyoung was a hardworking and outstanding student, but never forget to treat her girlfriend right. She always took them on dates, having countless of serious or random discussions, and showed affection. Not just Sooyoung, they were both perfect for each other.

 

Jiwoo knew that Sooyoung always wanted to become a lawyer, and she knew she would be one! Jiwoo was actually the one that support Sooyoung to applied for master scholarship in Harvard. She knew this was going to be a great opportunity for Sooyoung…but when she really got it, Jiwoo almost broke down.

 

“That’s it. I am not going!” Sooyoung examined her girlfriend’s expression when she broke the news to her first.

 

It shocked Jiwoo, but she knew she need to control herself, “No! That’s not an option! You worked so hard for it!”

 

“But…you look sad, baby. I don’t want that!” Sooyoung on the verge of crying after seeing the girl before her about to breakdown.

 

“Baby…I’m just…happy for you!” Jiwoo kissed her cheeks softly, “Go there, and come back to be lawyer you promise to be!”

 

“Wait for me, Jiwoo.”

 

“You know that I will always wait for you, right?” Her controlled tears were finally break-free, and Sooyoung witnessed those and joined.

 

It was hard, but it didn’t break a fraction to their relationship. LDR was difficult at first due to their time zone difference. Both were willing to sacrifice, and found a perfect time to catch up on each other.  

 

After Sooyoung left, Jungeun and Jiwoo moved out to live with Jinsol. They both respected Jiwoo and keep things wholesome infront of Jiwoo (of course Sooyoung threatened them).

 

Jiwoo missed Sooyoung everyday despite the daily video call, she can’t wait to have the girl back in her arms after her master graduation.

 

On the fourth year of relationship, Jiwoo and Jungeun graduated from their bachelor degree. Jinsol attended and brought flowers to Jiwoo on Sooyoung’s behalf. Jiwoo felt warm by Sooyoung’s action even when she’s far away. Jiwoo was never alone.

 

That day, Jiwoo missed Sooyoung the most. Jiwoo must admit that with Sooyoung, her university life was fun and exciting. She’s the reason she made it through.

 

“Surprise! Do you like the flower I prepare?” Sooyoung smiled from the video call.


“I do, baby. I wish you were here with me today. I miss you so much!” Jiwoo pouted.

 

“Hang in there for one more month babe. I am almost done with my thesis here!” Sooyoung sighed, “and Jungeun has told me about this Heejin girl. What’s her deal?” Suddenly, Sooyoung sounded jealous…because she was.

 

“She’s just my mentee, babe!”

 

“Yeah right. She’s a mentee who flirts with you.”

 

“Babe…I belong to you like how you belong to me.” Jiwoo stated a matter of fact, and it made Sooyoung smile. Sooyoung was just messing with her…(but yes, she did feel alittle bit jealous)

 

“Gosh, Jiwoo! You make me feel many things!”

 

“I love you, Soo.” It’s not their 1st time to say the L-word to each other, but each time, it’s still meaningful as the first time.

 

“I love you too, my sweet Jiwooming!” Sooyoung was such a loser for Jiwoo, “seriously…I want to court you.”

 

“Do it when you are here. In person, baby. I’m waiting for you.”

 

It’s a topic they discussed about. Sooyoung seriously wanted to settle down with Jiwoo because there’s literally no one else she can imagine of getting married with. She can’t live without Jiwoo, and Jiwoo can’t live without Sooyoung. They were such a fool for each other afterall.  

 

“14 February 6PM, I will pick you up at your apartment.”

 

----

Jungeun peeked into Jiwoo’s room, seeing the girl dressing up.

 

“Jiwoo, can I come in?”

 

“Yes sure, Jungie.” Then Jungeun proceed come into the room, and Jiwoo didn’t seem to mind her presence as she continued to dress up – almost done.

 

“How was Dr. Yerim?”

 

“I don’t like her. She gets personal.”

 

“Yes, because it’s for your best-”

 

“Look. It’s almost 6PM. I need to head out now, can’t wait to see Sooyoung!” Jiwoo finished dressing up, and left her room with enthusiasm.

 

Jungeun followed her outside the room furiously. She can’t stand this anymore. This needed to stop. Jinsol was in living room, witnessing the tension.  

 

“Jiwoo! Stop right there!”

 

“What, Jungeun? I’m going to be late! Sooyoung is waiting for me!”

 

“It’s been-“Jungeun was stopped by Jinsol.

 

“Babe…calm dow-”

 

“I-it’s been freaking 3 years, Jiwoo! A-are you going to keep being like this forever?!”Jungeun can’t help herself, but tears were falling down. It’s broken her more than ever to see Jiwoo hurting herself like this. Jinsol held her, and tried to calm her.

 

“3 years what, Jungie? I don’t understand.” Jiwoo looked at her cluelessly.


“S-she died in that plane crash, Jiwoo. When can you accept that?”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

3 years has passed by; Jiwoo was stuck in this endless loop. Everyday, she was dressing up for that date. A date where Sooyoung was going to propose to her. Sooyoung was promising a forever to her.