one.

you can hear it in the silence (you are in love)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Again?”

Is the first thing Sojung says when Hyunjung shows up at her door at two in the morning, eyes red and body shivering, a heavy backpack over her shoulders. 

The girl nods in lieu of an answer, looking fragile with her arms wrapped firmly around her torso. Sojung offers her a knowing smile before finally letting her in, taking the backpack in her hands before leading them upstairs.

Sojung takes a proper look at her friend and frowns, placing a blanket over her shoulders as they sit down on her bed. “You didn’t think of bringing a coat with you this time?”

Hyunjung sighs. “I wasn’t thinking straight.”

Sojung nods and lays down. Hyunjung follows.

It’s silent for a while, but it’s not awkward. They’re used to this — to Hyunjung showing up at Sojung’s house late at night after getting in a fight with her mother, the same old backpack over her shoulders and the same hopeless expression on her face. They’re used to the comfort, to the company, to each other. It has always been the two of them against the world.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Sojung asks, turning around to face her friend.

Hyunjung doesn’t open her eyes, but scoots closer to the other girl. “Not really.”

Sojung already knew it, but she would never stop offering. She wants Hyunjung to be sure she can always talk to her about anything and everything — even the hard, painful stuff.

“What about some music?” Sojung grabs her phone and shakes it in front of Hyunjung’s face, laughing quietly at the older’s reaction to the light on her face.

“That would be nice.” Hyunjung finally opens her eyes, smiles as she turns to face Sojung. They’re so close. “Can I choose the first song?”

Sojung smiles back and lets the girl scroll through her music library as she grabs her earphones. Hyunjung removes the blanket from her shoulders and throws it over them.

The older one presses play and the soothing melody invades their ears, making them close their eyes and melt under the warm covers.

It’s IU, of course. Rain Drop out of all songs. Hyunjung’s favorite.

“Your mom will be surprised to see me here when she wakes up.” Hyunjung starts when the song is about to end, a pout forming on her lips.

“She’s used to it,” Sojung reassures her. “Even more than I am.”

Hyunjung scoffs. “Yeah, right.”

It’s silent between them again. Sojung picks the next song.

“You can stay for as long as you want,” Sojung blurts out as the first notes of Taeyeon’s 11:11 start playing. “You know that.”

“I know, it’s just—“ Hyunjung chokes. Sojung is alert. “I really don’t want to see my mom and I don’t know when i’ll want to again. This fight was too bad.”

“I can always lend you some clothes,” Sojung starts, “or, if you want, we can break into your house when everyone’s asleep and grab all of your stuff. How does that sound?”

Hyunjung laughs so hard that tears start falling from her puffy eyes, and Sojung is more than glad that they are happy ones this time. “You’re such an idiot.”

“So is that an yes?”

“Shut up.” Hyunjung rolls her eyes. “And it’s my turn to choose the song.”

 

 

Hyunjung manages to explain everything to Sojung’s mother in the morning, tells her about the awful fight and about how she got there at such an ungodly hour. The woman can only wrap Hyunjung in a tight hug and make sure the girl knows she can stay for as long as she wants — just like Sojung did — before leaving to meet with her friends from work.

“Your mom is so nice,” Hyunjung sighs. “Do you want to trade families?”

“I thought you were already part of my family.” Sojung offers and Hyunjung chuckles, taking a sip from her orange juice.

“You’re so cheesy.”

“And you should be used to that by now.” 

“Fair point.”

They wash the dishes and before they know, Sojung is already sitting on her bicycle and Hyunjung has her arms wrapped around her waist, head resting on her friend’s back as she breaths in the scent of chocolate coming from her hair.

Hyunjung wishes they could stay like that forever — in peace, close to each other and free, riding around town with no place to go. 

They stop next to a river and decide to sit by it, watching as the sun shines through the water. It’s almost perfect.

“I have the perfect song for this,” Sojung hands Hyunjung an earbud and the older one takes it, a smile forming on her lips as she easily recognizes the choice. 

There it is, Hyunjung thinks. Perfect.

“You’ve been listening to IU a lot these days.” Hyunjung bumps the other girl with her shoulder, still mesmerized by the view in front of her.

“Who doesn’t?” Sojung answers matter-of-factly, and Hyunjung is ready to friend a little more but she doesn’t. 

Even if Sojung won’t admit it, Hyunjung knows the girl is playing IU to cheer her up — because Sojung knows her better than anyone else, and cares about her like no one ever did before.

 

(And it’s when the light hits her friend’s face in such a painfully beautiful way that Hyunjung finally admits to herself she doesn’t need anything or anyone as long as she has Sojung. 

Sojung is enough. Sojung is home.)

 

 

“Your mom called,” Sojung announces when Hyunjung comes out of the shower, towel over her shoulders and hair still damp.

“She did?” Hyunjung scoffs, trying to fix her hair with her hands.

Sojung nods. “She said she tried to call you, and said she’s sorry.”

Hyunjung takes a sit beside Sojung on the bed, back resting against the wall. “I’m not ready to forgive her yet.”

“That’s okay,” Sojung pats her knee. “I told her you would come back when you’re ready.”

“I don’t want to go home.” Hyunjung whispers like a child, too busy playing with her fingers to meet Sojung’s concerned look.

“You don’t have to—“

“Not because of my mom,” Hyunjung cuts the other girl before they repeat the conversation from last night. “I just like being here. I like being with you.”

“I like being with you too.” Sojung confesses back without missing a beat, and Hyunjung is taken aback because she was expecting to be made fun of, for Sojun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter