The fall . . .

September


Author's Note: This is my 2nd english one-shot. This is the longer version of my flash fiction 'September'. You can read my one shot 'Wintertime' set in winter season. I will write two English one-shots based on the remaining seasons 'summer' and 'spring.' For now, enjoy reading September! 


----x 


Kaye walked inside the crowded cafeteria and went through the counter to order some food. Holding a black tray with a clubhouse burger and lemonade on the side, she picked the east corner table and placed her tray there. While eating, she could hear murmurs from students around her. 

“It was a bad break-up. I suppose.”

“She was a controlling girlfriend.”

“Eh? Really? That's why he replaced her.”

“Poor. That easily.”

Kaye decided she lost her appetite. As she was about to stand up, a couple went inside the cafeteria, hand-in-hand and smiling as if there's no one who had been hurt. 

Holding her trembling emotions, she stormed off the cafeteria and found herself in the university's park. She cried and cried until she felt like she's numb of crying. 

 

 

----x

 


Carrying a plastic bag with fries and smoothie, Link climb up the stairs and walked down the hallway until he spotted a peach door. He knocked three times and turned the doorknob and there she saw her, on her bed with her messy hair and even more messy room. 

“Hey.” He put a shy smile on his face and raised the plastic bag to show it to her. The pale girl whom he'd known ever since childhood showed her pale face and a smile spread on her lips. 

“Fries and smoothie?” she cooed and grinned to herself. She jumped out of her bed and snatched the plastic bag from his hand. She crawled on her bed and devoured the food while Link picked up the crumpled clothes on the floor, placing it on her study table. 

“Tomorrow is my flight.” she informed him that made him paused for seconds. His grip on her mustard sweatshirt tightened and showed a forced smile to her. The idea of her, leaving him, leaving the town brought a pinch on his chest. 

“Are you excited?” he asked her while folding her clothes. 

Munching her french fries, she answered, “Hope that NYU is good to me.   I will make more friends and more memories there. Still, I couldn't believe that I was accepted there and my mind is still reeling. You think so?” Her eyes became dreamy again and he couldn't stop himself from smiling. He had always been captivated by that sunshine smile. 

“Wherever you go, as long as you are yourself. People will be good to you.” he assured her and opened the window of her room, revealing the village road and  line of maple trees placed near the cobbled pavement. 

Leaning on the window, Link watched his childhood friend, his love of his life and she didn't even know that. He silently shakes his head upon thinking of confessing to her. 

She has a boyfriend in NYU. One of the reasons why she choose the university among the universities in the States. While Link will go to the community college as expected. 

 

 

 

--x 

 

 

Kaye desperately held the end of his shirt and pleaded with her eyes. “Tell me what's wrong with me. Did I do something wrong? Please . . . ”

He stopped on his tracks and harshly shove her hand away from his shirt. Eyes filled with annoyance, he faced her. “Please stop. Do I have to explain it all over again? Stop following me. Please.” And then she left her shattered again. 

Lowering her head to hide her tears, she slowly walked towards the exit pathway of the university instead of attending her afternoon class. 

Kaye pondered upon how women kept on questioning their worth when a man broke their heart and decided to left her. Thousands questions reeling in her head, left unanswered and she soaked in her tears again. Some would even say she should accept the truth but her mind itched on the thought of what's missing in her. 

Later that night, while working on her report for tomorrow, she knocked down a book full of postcards that spread on the wooden floor. She picked up a postcard picturing a suburban town in autumn season and an idea popped in her head. 

It wouldn't be so bad to start. 

 

--x 


While waiting for her processed papers, Kaye heard some murmurs around and she knew it. It's been weeks since her chats with her ex-boyfriend spread in the university and gossipers seemed to pry on it. She was the ex-girlfriend of a star player in quarterback after all. 

They concluded that she's the controlling one in their relationship when she was just being mindful of his actions and he was once broke her trust when she caught him with another woman. And yet, she forgave him. 

How stupid, she murmured to herself. 

When her name was called, Kaye stood up with her head held high and she knew that it would be the first step of moving on. 

 


--x


Everybody would say that she's insane for leaving an Ace university and going to transfer to a community college. 

But would she trade for it than her mental health and peace of mind? No. It was grueling when she's facing the gossips around the university and reminded her of how he's so happy with someone else. And there she was, still mending her broken heart. 

She released a sigh and stared at the rolling hills and random houses the bus passed by.  She's leaving all the things behind. She wants to start anew in a small town, far away from the places that reminds her of her 'I almost dos'. 

 


--x 

 

It was September when leaves of different colors started to fall. Her scarf was blown by the wind. He saw the scarf, caught it as he gazed up at the girl who seems to be the owner of it. 

He recognized her because she's the new girl in an apartment unit two blocks away from his house and she hanged out alone in the convenience store with her seafood cup of noodles. 

Link climbed up the stairs on the hill and paused at the last tier when he saw a glimpse of her tears. She brushed it away from her already wet cheeks when she saw the guy from the convenience store. 

“Hey, is this yours?” he asked hesitantly to her, pertaining to her red scarf he was holding. Autumn breeze blow the maple trees and its leaves flew in the air the moment she stepped near him. 

"Yes." It was almost a whisper when she received it from him and put it on her pale neck. 

He nodded. “Uhm . . . yes.”

“Do you know how to stop the pain?” she asked, a bit unsure of speaking to him but she found him sensible enough to know her situation because she saw herself in him. Had it been she saw him spacing out while holding a picture of a pretty girl with him on it. 

Link was taken aback when she turned to him, eyes visible of indescribable emotions. He looked at the changing colors of the sky as the sun bids goodbye. “Treat yourself with fries and smoothies. Sometimes, little things can help.”

Kaye smiled and watched the autumn leaves beneath her feet. “You think so?”

“I think so.”

 


--x 

 

Kaye stayed on one of the wooden benches, admiring the autumn scenery spread in her eyes. It's her favorite season, not much warm, not much cold and full of fiery red, orange red, hazel brown colors around. Her favorite colors which resembled much of her clothes. 

Link spotted her. The girl who's fond of wearing a hazel brown cardigan and brown boots, who possesses eyes that reminds him of green fields. He started walking slowly to her until she's in front of him, eyeing him as if she expected something from him. 

He blurted out what's inside his head. “There was a boy who grew up loving his childhood sweetheart but the girl didn't notice his feelings. The boy was there by her side all the time, supporting her. He is just a childhood friend, nothing more, nothing less." His lips formed into a sad smile and when he found her face, she was smiling yet it didn't reach her eyes. 

It was as if she's also telling her story. She has the most expressive eyes he had ever seen in his life. “There was a girl who still hold unto false hopes and promises that were broken from the start. No one understood her except herself." she said in sad tone. “She has only herself.” It was almost a whisper.

Link sat beside her and looked at the maple trees in front of them. “People come and go. They chose to stay, but mostly they left.”

“But we can also choose people who wants us to be with us even if they want to stay. It doesn't matter if they stay when they keep on breaking your peace of mind. I guess that's what I keep believing on so I choose not to stay. Why would I? Sometimes, I have to be selfish.” she reasoned out, fingers on her  skirt. 

“Sometimes you have to be selfish to rescue yourself."

And Kaye silently agreed to it. 

 


--x 

 

A year later 


Holding the plastic bag with chocolates, candies and fresh milk carton box, Link sauntered to the pathway that leads him to her. 

Hearing some light footsteps, Kaye turned around and waved at Link who's smiling back to her. 

“Food for your thoughts?” he grinned. 

She chuckled and some strands of her hair fell on her forehead. Link reached for it and fished out a clip on the pocket of his three-fourths. He clipped it on her stubborn strands. 

“At the shrine?”

The shrine they used to hang out with and stared at sunrises and sunsets, side by side as they spurts random words and stories. 

“What are you thinking?” he asked while they're walking on the cobbled pavement. 

"How moments couldn't last for long.” 

"You think so? . . . I guess, we will create another moment to treasure.” he exclaimed, quite sure of it. 

 


--x

 

Waiting for the bus to arrive, Link had been fidgeting on the bench and Kaye noticed his uneasiness so leaned her head on his shoulder. 

"You aren't going to leave for so long, are you?" he asked, a bit agitated. 

Kaye knew that the anxiety of being left alone still eating him up sometimes. "I am not. I have to face what I left behind, proving that I am okay. It won't be for long.”

He sighed and touched her hair lightly. "You will come back, right?" 

"I am." The bus stopped and passengers went in there, dragging their baggages and suitcases. "Why don't you want me to leave?”

He stared intently at her eyes and held her face with his hands. “Because I like you.”

With a smile and a chaste kiss on his cheek, she spoke. “I will come back to you.”

 

--x 

Leaving the small town for a while with the most beautiful autumn she witnessed seemed to be anti-climatic for Kaye. 

Yet, she knew, she will be greeted by those shy smiles, those soft amber eyes and the freckles on his pale face. Once in her life, she anticipated to go back sooner. 


--x 


fin