That One Getaway [fin.]

That One Getaway

 

“Yeah,” Dahyun pinched the bridge of her nose with her eyes tightly shut, “just—can we talk about this some other time? It’s literally the middle of the night and I have to go home now.”

 

Four years ago, the thought of handling a business would definitely send Dahyun’s heart to the skies and make her feel all these giddy and funny turns of stomach inside her body (it still does), thinking that once she gets to pursue her dream – which is to build an empire that will lead the world of smartphones – everything will fall into pieces.

 

Not that she hates her place now, alright. It’s just tiring. Like any other jobs.

 

KD Tech. is now one of the top competitors along Apple, Samsung, and the likes. She was definitely living the dream for sure. She’s been consulting with business analysts and it seems like four, five years from now, her baby-slash-her-company will lead the field of smartphones.

 

But being a CEO surely comes with its downsides, and having to stay at work during the wee hours of the night is one of them.

 

“Sure. Have a good night ahead.” Dahyun nonchalantly said before putting her phone on top of her table and completely surrendering her weight on her swivel chair.

 

A high-quality type of swivel chair, if you may ask, of course thanks to KD Tech. But all these luxuries mean nothing if she cannot even come home at 8 o’clock in the evening to have dinner with the love of her life.

 

After a solid three minutes of calming herself, Dahyun fixed her seat and picked up her phone to compose a message. Only then did she notice that there were another three messages that came in during those minutes she rested for a while; three messages on top of another 33 ones.

 

“.” Dahyun muttered under her breath before exhaling to shrug off the uneasiness in her and tapping her message in.

 

To: Sana-chan <3

Love? 1:03AM

Sana-chan? You awake? 1:03AM

I’m about to go home. I’ll be there when you wake up. 1:04AM

I love you. 1:04AM

 

Dahyun stared at the screen of her phone for a minute or two, hoping that a chime will come in, attached is a picture of her girlfriend of five years, Minatozaki Sana, with a cute, simple message that will instantly sweep her feet of the ground and crush her heart into pieces but in a good way.

 

However, there was none.

 

Just the same display of her unread messages and icon of her girlfriend of top with her cute, pouty lips on.

 

The girl smiled bitterly before clicking the contact name so she could see the image clearly and she slowly let her tongue out as an attempt to stop herself from smiling, now so fondly, at the thought of her girlfriend waiting for her at home.

 

She harshly brushed her hand over , as if trying to pull herself back together, and abruptly stood up, picked her coat and bag, and shot outside her office door. Dahyun quickly made her way to the elevator all the way down to the parking lot.

 

To: Sana-chan <3

I’m about to drive now, honey. 1:15AM

Should I get us McDonald’s? 1:15AM

 

Unread. Sigh.

 

To: Sana-chan <3

Okay, Sana-chan. I’ll get home quickly so I can join you in bed and let’s driff off together until… whenever you want. I love you! 1:16AM

 

***

 

“I’m home.” Dahyun, out of habit, mindlessly said while taking her shoes off despite knowing no one’s going to answer, her head down trying to watch every step she’ll have to make, careful not to wake the whole apartment up.

 

It was cold and dark the moment she entered but at least she was home; she felt home.

 

She walked a few more steps with her hand tracing the cold wall, trying to find the light switch, which she immediately clicked the moment she found it and was surprised when she saw a figure by the living room, its back turned against her with a messily but beautifully (it’s possible) tied up faded-orange hair.

 

“Sana?” she called while taking off her coat and putting her things on top of the kitchen counter, “I thought you’re sleeping already. Have you seen my texts? What about dinner? I should’ve—”

 

A sniff.

 

“Sana-chan?”

 

The CEO walked closer to her girlfriend who looked up at the ceiling before wiping her eyes with her hand that was covered by the sleeves of her sweatshirt (Dahyun’s sweatshirt actually).

 

Before she could even reach her girlfriend, Dahyun halted her steps when Sana stood up and faced the now surprised Dahyun, probably brought about the tears in the Japanese’s eyes (yes, she’s Japanese).

 

Dahyun walked to Sana with hurry and worry evident in her face. When she met the older girl halfway the living room, Dahyun immediately reached for the former’s hands that were settled on the side while rubbing her thumbs against them. She then brought their clasped hands to the front of , blowing air in it while looking at Sana whose eyes are puffy from crying.

 

There she saw stars.

 

Sana’s eyes welcomed Dahyun to a world that is so unknown and unexplainable that she cannot help but want to dig deeper and find herself among other stars settling inside her girlfriend’s orbs. Dahyun’s love for Sana’s honey-brown eyes, once again, went deeper just as she thought she cannot go on anymore.

 

For Dahyun, it was like all the melodies that take up to complete a song, words that make up a beautifully-written poem, a special ingredient that completes a very intricate dish that everyone is dying to have a taste.

 

After another blow of air on their hands, Dahyun raised her sight to meet Sana’s eyes and, boy, she cannot help but feel at awe seeing her girlfriend after hours of work. Dahyun held up one of her hands to caress Sana’s cheek and wipe off the tears that dried up, “What’s wrong, Sana?”

 

Sana did not answer which got Dahyun fondly smiling at her and cooing at her. The young woman let out a small laugh when Sana sniffed once more and unconsciously pulled a pout afterwards, “Oh, my big baby.” Dahyun said through her small laughs.

 

The young woman brought their still-clasped hands down before slowly brushing the tip of her nose against Sana’s pointy one, bringing their bodies closer to each other. The action made both of them close their eyes, with Dahyun slightly smiling at the calmness she’s feeling as of the moment.

 

Opening her eyes, Dahyun stared at the woman in front of her whose eyes are still closed. Moments later, their lips are pressed against one another, the two of them sighing at the feeling. They just stood there, letting their bodies be consumed with the love that has ignited again after weeks of absence from one another, thanks to Dahyun’s busy schedule.

 

Dahyun pulled away and whispered, “I love you, Sana-chan. I’m here, okay? What’s wrong?”

 

Silence.

 

The Japanese opened her eyes and just stared at Dahyun before sniffing and pulling away from her girlfriend, “Why are you home so late?” she asked and walked towards the living room, her left arm crossing her chest while the right one sits on top of it as she rub out of irritation.

 

“Why am I home so late?” Dahyun repeated, as if surprised with Sana’s question, “Honey, maybe because I got a job and I have things that are work-related that need to be finished?”

 

“It’s been a month since you’re coming home late, Dahyun, and you still haven’t finished? What, are you building an atomic bomb?”

 

“Sana, where are you coming from?”

 

“If only you don’t bury yourself with all your papers and smartphones, maybe I won’t be acting like this, Dahyun-ah. Are you seriously asking me that?”

 

“Wait, what?” Dahyun followed, confused at the sudden change of atmosphere. They were literally like every in-love couple out there and now her girlfriend walked towards the living room, as if ready to fight.

 

“What do you mean, ‘wait, what’, Kim Dahyun?” Sana practically whispered, “You know what I am talking about.”

 

“Sana,” Dahyun sighed, “really? In the middle of the night when I just came home from work?”

 

“Because this is literally the only time you are home, Dahyun-ah.” Sana calmly replied.

 

“Because, again, I work, Sana.” Dahyun answered, still trying to tone her voice down, “You know that.”

 

“Yeah, to the point that you forget about going home.” Sana snapped back, “What are you? A guard that you need to keep an eye on your building?”

 

“Honey, please—”

 

“No, Dahyun,” Sana said after wiping another batch of tears on her eyes. Dahyun was itched again with worry so she took a step to get to her girlfriend but the latter raised her hand to stop her, “stop. You know we need to talk.”

 

“Talk about what?” Dahyun asked, tiredness evident in her voice, “My work? Sana, that’s just it. I am losing time because of work.”

 

“And you think that’s okay?” Sana gasped.

 

“And you think it is okay to hinder your girlfriend’s career?” Dahyun asked, her straight face now showing.

 

Oh.

 

“So that’s what all I am to you?” Sana walked towards Dahyun, “A hindrance, yeah?”

 

“Sana, I—”

 

“No, Dahyun-ah,” Sana cut her off, “you already said it yourself.”

 

“Because that’s what you’re literally doing, Sana!” Dahyun, despite their efforts to remain calm, finally snapped, “Making a big deal out of my job and hindering my work. Really?”

 

“You wouldn’t be this big if I was stopping you from whatever you are doing, Dahyun.” Sana said, “You know I gave you all the support you needed when you were starting.”

 

“I never forced you to support me, Sana!”

 

“But I wanted to, Dahyun!” the Japanese answered, “That’s what girlfriends are supposed to do.”

 

“Thanks then.” Dahyun’s answer left Sana’s mouth ajar, “You’re now a hero, Sana-chan.”

 

Heavy breathings and silent sobs from Sana filled the room as the two slowly lost strength, just surrendering their bodies to the sofas adjacent to one another.

 

There.

 

The bomb finally dropped – after Sana has kept her thoughts to herself and worries about how Dahyun is starting to neglect her due to overworking.

 

“How am I not going to make it a big deal?” Sana asked, tears flowing out her eyes, “You’re literally married to your job and I’m just a mistress.”

 

“Christ,” Dahyun breathed, “we’re onto drama now, aren’t we?”

 

“Did I lie?”

 

“And you’re wondering why I prefer staying at my office instead of coming home to you? Sana, all you do is nag at me! This is where I’m supposed to find rest but I’m coming home to a girlfriend who knows nothing but either bombard me with her words or not talk to me at all because you’re too tired taking care of this ing apartment and sleep on me afterwards.”

 

“I—” Sana gulped, “Well, that’s because I- I thought you wanted to know about my day.”

 

“What I want after a day of work is rest, Sana,” Dahyun stood up, “if I wanted to know, I’ll ask.”

 

“What happened to me being your rest, Kim Dahyun? My voice soothing you and my stories wiping away your tiredness?” Sana asked through her sobs.

 

“We’re adults now, Sana.” Dahyun said without looking at her girlfriend.

 

“So romance is gone now, yeah?”

 

“You’re talking about romance when we have to survive and I have to provide for you? How mature, Sana.” Dahyun mockingly laughed at Sana, “Don’t make me laugh now.”

 

“No, Dahyun,” Sana butted, “I’m talking about how my girlfriend’s now neglecting me for her job because the last time I checked, she literally got tons of people working for her. I don’t get why she has to work her off when she can easily command all those below her in a snap of her fingers. Maybe you’re working on something else.”

 

“Sana—”

 

“Or perhaps,” Sana slowly said, “someone else?”

 

“Watch your mouth, Sana.” Dahyun said lowly while walking towards her girlfriend before grabbing her wrist and pulling her to stand up. It was so tight that Sana started whimpering at the pain, “Don’t you ing dare accuse me of that .”

 

“Why—” Sana struggled to say, fear and pain stirring inside her, “Why are you so defensive then?”

 

Sana’s words made Dahyun grip on her wrist tighter, “Dahyun, you’re hurting me.” Sana winced in pain, “Dahyun, let go.” She said once again through her sobs, “Baby, please.”

 

“If only you have your own life and have your own job, Sana, maybe you wouldn’t act this way.” Dahyun lowly said before harshly letting go of Sana, throwing the Japanese’s wrist that she was once holding so softly minutes before, practically throwing the latter back on her seat.

 

The Japanese did not know which pain to attend to – Dahyun’s words or the physical one she experienced from the young one’s grip. Sana held her wrist and slowly soothed it with her hand while letting Dahyun’s words sink in her mind.

 

“If only I have a job? Who made me stay at home, Kim Dahyun? Huh?” Sana asked, her voice cracking, “You were the one who stopped me from pursuing my career. Maybe you are the hindrance here; not me.”

 

Dahyun scoffed upon hearing Sana’s words, “Whatever. Keep turning tables, Sana. You are doing a good job; maybe try that as a girlfriend.”

 

“Kim Dahyun, where are you coming from?” It was Sana’s turn to ask her girlfriend now, emphasizing every word, too hurt from the words she never expected Dahyun to say.

 

She thought all along that she was being the girlfriend Dahyun has ever wanted, but hearing such words now made her question if she’s even worthy to be called one.

 

Beat from Dahyun’s words, Sana kept crying and crying, only this time, there were no sounds coming out from .

 

Silence has never been that loud.

 

“And yeah, I shouldn’t have done that.” Dahyun added before walking towards the kitchen counter, picking up her coat, phone, and car key, “Maybe I’ll have more room to breathe.”

 

“W-where are you going?” Sana was alarmed when Dahyun started wearing her coat, “Dahyun, it’s the middle of the night.”

 

“I know. I’m not dumb.”

 

“Dahyun—”

 

“Shut up, Sana!” Dahyun said, making Sana flinch at the sudden raise of voice, “Maybe you should get your own life so you can stop meddling with mine! This is suffocating; you are suffocating!”

 

“Goddamn, I just wanted to know what’s with your job that’s keeping you up so late!” Sana cried, “I just want my girlfriend back!”

 

“Then—”

 

Arf!

 

There was a bark.

 

Followed by another… and then another one.

 

And then a small voice that sounded from an interrupted sleep, “Mommy?”

 

A wakeup call.

 

Dahyun turned her bloodshot eyes towards one of the doors inside their apartment. There she saw a kid carrying Ari, a white, Pomeranian dog.

 

Her daughter; their daughter.

 

Sana and hers.

 

Myung-hee. Bright and shiny in Korean, just like Dahyun’s girlfriend, Sana.

 

Kim Myung-hee.

 

“Are you fighting?” the five-year-old asked while walking towards Sana, tears starting to form in her eyes. Sana reached for her child after wiping her eyes for the nth time that night, crouching down to level with her kid.

 

Myung-hee immediately went inside her mother’s arms, burying her face on Sana’s neck and shoulder, letting go of Ari who ran towards Dahyun.

 

Japanese rubs the back of her head, trying to calm the kid down while watching Dahyun go down the floor to pick Ari up. She then proceeded on to her kid’s back before pulling away from the hug and cupping Myung-hee’s cheeks.

 

“Hush now, little one.” Sana smiled at her daughter before planting a kiss on her forehead, “Come on, sweetie. Let’s get you to bed. Mommy and I were just talking, alright? Don’t worry about it.” Sana said, tugging the smaller figure with her.

 

“You have a daughter, Kim Dahyun, just in case you forgot.” Sana whispered at Dahyun when they went past her before going inside Myung-hee’s room.

 

“Big boy,” Dahyun said while rubbing Ari’s head, “behave now, my love.” She said while making her way to the living room and sitting down on the couch. Dahyun slumped on it with Ari on her chest as she looks back at what transpired the past few minutes.

 

She shouted at Sana. She hurt Sana. She scared their daughter.

 

All at once.

 

Just because she was tired and she didn’t want no confrontation in the middle of the night. There is nothing that can justify what she did and Dahyun knew that everything’s on her tonight.

 

Never did she shout at Sana nor physically hurt her no matter how deep their arguments were before. Just tonight. And Myung-hee even witnessed them fighting over Dahyun’s schedule when they can just talk it out and listen to one another.

 

Only if Dahyun did not snap that way.

 

Remnants of Sana attending their daughter earlier played through Dahyun’s mind and it almost made the woman cried, thinking how much she loves her family and stupid she was for hurting her girlfriend.

 

Yes, girlfriend.

 

Myung-hee came in to their lives unplanned but not unwanted. Dahyun and Sana were both starting that time when they had Myung-hee and at 22, they became mothers of a great child that looks like a carbon copy of Dahyun (Sana always gave her about that, saying that she had to carry Myung-hee for nine months only for her to look like Dahyun).

 

But since Dahyun picked-up her pace after Myung-hee came, and in order to provide for their family, she focused on developing and nurturing her company without talking about marriage. Not that they are not open to the idea. Of course they both want to get tied to one another, they are just looking for the perfect timing.

 

Dahyun laughed at the memory of them arguing over dinner about who Myung-hee is taking after when, as clear as day, it really is Dahyun. The woman sniffed and softly wiped the tears that were coming out her eyes.

 

She’s right. They are adults. And they have to deal with this like any other 27-year-olds would. Dahyun laughed when she felt Ari her cheeks, “Ari-yah. Are you mad at mommy for shouting at your momma earlier? I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt her. I’ll make it up to her. I promise.”

 

Arf!

 

“I know, boy.” Dahyun said while rubbing her belly, “I know. I love her too. I should apologize to her, yeah? And hug her to sleep while showering her with kisses.”

 

Arf!

 

“Good boy!” Dahyun carried Ari again, “Now let’s get you some treats for staying by Myung-hee’s side.”

 

Just as she stood up, Myung-hee’s door flung open, revealing Sana who has now calmed down. Her eyes are still puffy though, and she was holding her wrist Dahyun grabbed earlier. Dahyun mindlessly put Ari on the floor to walk towards Sana.

 

“Stop right there.” And Dahyun did.

 

“Sana, I’m so sorry about earlier.” Dahyun slowly took a step, “I really am.”

 

“I really don’t want to talk to you right now, Dahyun.” Sana closed Myung-hee’s door, “Just like you, I need to breathe.”

 

“Alright, baby…” Dahyun answered, “I understand. You want me to, perhaps, prepare a bath for you?”

 

“Thanks, but I’m getting my own life now, Dahyun. That's what you want, don’t you?” Sana said before walking towards their bedroom door before slamming it shut.

 

Dahyun sighed before looking at Ari who is now attacking her with head tilts, “We’re okay, Ari. Your momma just needs some time.” She said before knocking on her daughter’s door, “Myunghee-ah?”

 

“Hey, little one.” Dahyun closed the door and sat on the side of Myung-hee’s bed, “Is your bed comfy?” she asked in an attempt to start a conversation.

 

The kid nodded while tucking her blanket over just under her nose while looking at Dahyun, “Your mom’s gonna get mad when she hears this but you really look like me, baby.”

 

“Were you fighting earlier, mommy?” Myung-hee sat up.

 

Dahyun sighed at the question, “Listen, sweet pea. Momma and I were just talking, hmkay? There was some misunderstanding and mommy’s sorry for shouting at your mom.”

 

“You should be,” Dahyun smiled at Myung-hee upon hearing her words, “She was hurt.”

 

“I know, love. I’m sorry about that.”

 

“You still love her, don’t you?” Myung-hee asked.

 

Dahyun spread her arms inviting Myung-hee to come at her. The kid got up and sat on Dahyun’s lap, her back against the woman’s front as the latter swayed their bodies together while caressing her daughter’s hair.

 

“Not as much as I love you.” She kidded.

 

“Mommy!” Myung-hee exclaimed which Dahyun shushed, reminding that they have to be quiet so Sana can grab some sleep, “You should only love momma in the whooole wiiiide wooorld!”

 

Dahyun laughed, “Of course, sweet pea. I love your Mom very much and nothing can ever change that, okay?”

 

Myung-hee hummed in agreement before jumping on to her spot again. Dahyun watched as her small ball of energy settle in her bed.

 

She then tucked her in her blanket before planting a soft kiss on her forehead, “Sleep now, little one. There are just some things that adults, especially girlfriends like your mom and I, go through.”

 

“Sometimes our ideas and thoughts do not go the same way and agree with one another, which cause some misunderstanding. But that doesn’t mean we’re loving each other less.”

 

“Make it up to her, okay?” was what Myung-hee said. Dahyun laughed and nodded at her daughter.

 

“Okay, ma’am. What do you have in mind?”

 

***

 

After freshening-up, Dahyun slowly entered their room while peeping at the sleeping figure of her girlfriend. With small, soft steps, the young woman walked towards their bed, careful not to wake Sana up. It must have been a rough night for her and Dahyun wanted her to rest.

 

Dahyun slowly slipped on to the sheets and settled herself just looking at Sana’s back turned against her. The Japanese was wearing a sleeveless, silky sleepwear. Dahyun’s favorite.

 

The young woman sighed at the sight of her girlfriend, the feeling of longing building inside her. No, not the longing in the side of lust and , but the type of longing that she just wants to be close to her girlfriend, just cuddling within the sheets with Sana burying her face on Dahyun’s neck.

 

Dahyun raised her hand to reach for Sana’s back but stopped before she could even touch the latter’s smooth skin. She wanted to give Sana some space but here she is, attempting to hold her girlfriend all through the night.

 

While other couples believe that a day should never pass without them settling their issues, Dahyun and Sana believe otherwise. If the other party is not yet ready to talk the same day, then they’ll let them be and give each other spaces to process their emotions.

 

Although time is too important to get wasted on some argument, for Sana and Dahyun, processing their emotions and thinking everything through should come first.

 

Tonight, however, is different for Dahyun. She wants to give Sana her space after everything that happened, but at the same time she wants to be inside that space (if that’s possible).

 

And so she shoot her shot. Dahyun softly shifted her position behind Sana. Prompting on her elbow, the younger woman slowly slid her arm on Sana’s tiny waist while pressing soft kisses on Sana’s bare shoulder.

 

One for I hope you are okay. Another as I am sorry. The next one was I love you. Dahyun gave another kiss adding you, our daughter, and Ari – I love you all.

 

She didn’t stop though. Dahyun continued giving Sana more kisses as her way of soothing the other Japanese after what happened. She didn’t need the older girl to respond; she just wanted to let her feelings come through. When she’s done, Dahyun held back to spoon Sana and entangle her legs with the latter’s.

 

“Sana-chan?” Dahyun softly called, “I’m really sorry about earlier. There is no better explanation for it other than I lost my temper. I love you and I never meant to hurt you in any way. I already explained things with our daughter so you don’t need to worry. Ari is with her now. So our kids are doing very well now, probably sleeping and snuggled against one another.”

 

No answer.

 

“They must be so cute, don’t you think?” Dahyun laughed with her lips against Sana’s crown, “Our little family is so cute, Sana-chan. Thank you for giving me the gift of family, my love.”

 

Dahyun was about to talk again but was startled when Sana pulled away from her embrace to face the younger woman. Dahyun was certainly dumbfounded, but not dumbfounded enough to flash a small smile at her girlfriend. Sana did the same. Her smiles did not reach her eyes though.

 

The pale girl reached for Sana’s cheeks before kissing her forehead, letting her lips stay there for seconds, “I love you.” she then whispered. Sana did not say anything back. Instead, she snuggled closer to Dahyun, burying her face on the latter’s chest. Dahyun let out a small laugh – more like a laugh of relief – upon Sana’s actions.

 

“I understand that you may be mad now, Sana-chan, and you might not be ready to talk. Just take your time. I’ll be here. I can wait.” She felt Sana nod.

 

“But I might need your answer to this.” Dahyun spoke, causing Sana to pull away and look at the former with her puppy eyes. Dahyun smiled before planting a soft kiss on her lips, “Your daughter—”

 

“Our daughter.” Sana corrected.

 

“Correct.” Dahyun laughed. “Our daughter proposed that we go on a vacation to make up for our lost time.”

 

“Oh, yeah? Where does she wanna go?” Dahyun shook her head before pulling Sana close to her chest once again.

 

“Mommies time – those were her words. She didn’t want to come because she wants us to spend some time together.”

 

Dahyun felt Sana shake in laughter before looking up at her, “Your daughter’s one smart kid, isn’t she?”

 

“Correction,” Dahyun said with her brows furrowed, “Our daughter.”

 

Sana laughed and answered, “Our daughter.”

 

***

 

“Dahyun, I don’t think we should leave Myung-hee behind.”

 

From the driver’s seat, Dahyun quickly turned her head at Sana before looking back on the road, “Sana, relax. Mom’s going to take care of her. For all I know, she and Ari are now full of snacks on their hands.”

 

20 minutes into their drive and Sana is now worrying about their kid being left behind while they go on a vacation hours away from their home. It’s not that Sana don’t want to spend some quality time with Dahyun; it’s just that the mom in her is kicking in that she feels like she cannot enjoy without her kid on her side.

 

They did not actually proceed on the vacation the morning after their confrontation. Dahyun needed to finish some paperwork and attend meetings regarding the release of their newest flagship phone. Myung-hee, on the other hand, got classes so Sana had to look after their daughter.

 

When Dahyun got no answer, “Okay, we’re driving back now. But we’re not bringing Ari. He’s a handful.”

 

Sana sighed in relief before bringing their clasped hands to her lips to give it a kiss, “Thank you, Dahyun-chan. I love you. You and Myung-hee.”

 

“And Ari.” Dahyun added.

 

Sana laughed and nodded, “And Ari.”

 

There was one thing that bugged Dahyun’s mind though.

 

“What about our y time?” Dahyun pouted.

 

“Kim Dahyun!” Sana exclaimed before barking in laughter, “What do you mean y time?” She added, her laughter far from subsiding.

 

“You know,” Dahyun wiggled her brows, all while her eyes are on the road and her other hand on the steering wheel, “some wild- action in bed."

 

“Words, Dahyun-chan!” Sana said, “I’m pretty sure there will be other rooms, alright? And then you can have your y time there.”

 

“Why are you talking as if you don’t want it?”

 

“Of course I do.” Sana spoke.

 

“Of course you do.” Dahyun naughtily answered back.

 

***

 

“Mom, what do you think of these pants?” Myung-hee, although struggling, raised a floral pants in front of Sana. They now have arrived in a sanctuary two hours away from Seoul where they can enjoy their time as a family while doing recreational activities.

 

Part of the package are the pants – floral, to be exact – they can wear all throughout the day, care of the sanctuary.

 

Myung-hee was the first one to choose and immediately asked Sana for her opinion, knowing how her mother got some eye for fashion (she was a fashion student. Of course she’ll have one).

 

“That looks nice, sweet pea!” Sana said, “Right, Dahyun-ah?”

 

“For sure, love.” Dahyun leveled at her kid, “Now ask Jihyo-unnie over there to you to the bathroom and we’ll follow shortly. Would that be fine with you?”

 

Myung-hee nodded, “But what about your pants, mommy?”

 

“Oh,” Sana ruffled Myung-hee’s hair as Dahyun stood up and wrapped her arm around Sana, “don’t worry about your mommy’s pants. Momma will choose them for her.”

 

“Sana—”

 

“Jihyo-yah,” Sana called for the caretaker, “will you our little one here to the bathroom so she could go and change?”

 

When the two made their way to the bathroom, Sana and Dahyun proceeded on choosing their pants while the former keep on saying, “I’m gonna pick Dahyun’s.”

 

“No, no, no!”

 

“Why not?”

 

“No, no, no; you will not!”

 

“Yeeess!”

 

“Noooo!”

 

***

 

“Mommy! Mommy!”

 

Dahyun put up her sunglasses to look at her daughter who was hurriedly running towards them. Sana and Dahyun are now grilling some tomahawk steak while they let their daughter roam around the place.

 

“Myung-hee, what’s wrong?” Sana’s face was covered in worry, “Are you alright? Are you hurt?”

 

Myung-hee nooded while catching her breath, “But I found someone that is maybe nooot alright.” She answered, using her tiny voice to finish her sentence.

 

Dahyun and Sana approached their daughter, intrigued by her words, “Okay, what’s up, little one?”

 

“Come with me!” Myung-hee tugged both her moms with her tiny hands, causing the two to look at each other. Dahyun just shrugged at Sana and proceeded to follow their ball of energy walking – no, running – ahead of them.

 

“Mommy, Mama,” Myung-hee is now holding a small, brown dog, which seems to be a Norwich Terrier, “I found him here just walking around. He seems lonely.”

 

“Okay, baby,” Sana said, “Have you seen its owners?”

 

“He doesn’t have any.” Myung-hee answered.

 

“Sweet pea, we are not so sure about that.” Dahyun leveled at Myung-hee, “What if his parents are looking for him? Hmm?”

 

“Jihyo-unnie said no one owns him!”

 

“Okay, then maybe we can leave him at the sanctuary.” Dahyun said before standing up and snaking her arms, once again, around Sana’s waist.

 

“Mommy…” Myung-hee said.

 

“Oh, no,” Sana whispered, “I know where this is going.”

 

“Can we take him home?”

 

“There you go.” Sana whispered through her small laugh.

 

“Please, please, please?” Myung-hee asked while rubbing the dog’s head, “So Ari can have a brother!”

 

“Go and ask your momma, Myung-hee.” Dahyun said, “Not me. She’s the boss. You know that.”

 

“Mama?” Myung-hee turned to Sana who just closed her eyes in defeat before nodding.

 

Dahyun rushed towards Myung-hee to give her a high-five when Sana suddenly spoke using the authority in her voice only her girlfriend gets to hear when she’s being too childish or when spoiling their daughter, “Only once Jihyo confirmed that he has no owner, alright?”

 

***

 

“You wanted the dog too, didn’t you?” Sana asked while leaning her back on Dahyun’s front, the latter hugging her from the back. Dahyun lowered down her chin above Sana’s shoulder and just let out a scoff, “Don’t deny it, Kim Dahyun. You seemed more excited than Myung-hee!”

 

Dahyun removed her chin from Sana’s shoulder to kiss the Japanese’s now-curled hair, “I’m just gonna let you assume things, Sana-chan.”

 

“Oh, come on.” The two laughed while watching their daughter play with their new-found dog whom she named Boo.

 

“They are so beautiful.” Dahyun whispered against Sana’s head, “I love you, Sana.”

 

“Why are you being so sweet? There’s no need. You’re going to get your y time. I promise.”

 

Dahyun threw her head back in laughter before hugging Sana tighter, placing her chin again above Sana’s shoulder and whispering in her ear, “I said I love you.” Dahyun said while caressing Sana’s arms.

 

The Japanese rolled her eyes before answering, “I love you too, Dahyun-ah. Forever.”

 

Dahyun hummed in contentment – just the sight of their daughter having the time of her life and her wife inside her arms more than enough to send her to the skies, “Sana,” she spoke.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Ari’s now got a baby brother.” Dahyun said, still near Sana’s ear. Sana hummed in agreement, “Maybe we should give Myung-hee her little sister… or brother. Whatever it may be.”

 

Sana pulled away to face Dahyun with a smile on her face before going back to their position, “Dahyun, no need to remind me about your y—”

 

“Marry me, Sana.” Dahyun said before kissing Sana’s hair again, “Marry me and build this family with me. Please.” She said, her voice cracking as she struggled to stop herself from crying.

 

Looking at their daughter now and having Sana caged in her arms, thinking about the next few years they are to spend together, Dahyun cannot help but tear up from the overwhelming feelings inside her.

 

Sure, she made some mistakes and focused too much on her job, afraid that she’s not providing enough for their growing family. But what would all those fortunes mean if her girlfriend (soon to be wife, hopefully) starts drifting away?

 

“I know these past few weeks, I’ve been lacking a lot, but if you give me a chance, Sana-chan, I’ll make sure to be with you every step of the way. I’ll take care of you, Myung-hee, Ari, and Boo, and love all of you for the rest of my life. Please—”

 

Dahyun’s rumbling words were cut off when Sana pulled away to face her and attack her with a kiss. They let their feelings overtake the moment and just forget about everything that was around them.

 

Dahyun was just about to open to insert her tongue inside Sana when they heard a shout, “Mommy! Momma! Boo’s watching! His eyes!”

 

And then it was followed by a bark.

 

Dahyun and Sana pulled away, with hints of laughter on their lips, “So?” Dahyun whispered.

 

“A million times yes, Dahyun-chan.” Sana replied before hugging Dahyun, “How am I going to say ‘no’ when you’re asking me to build a family with you? That has always been our dream. So, yes, I am going to marry you—”

 

Dahyun tried to pull away from the hug but Sana stopped her, “Hep!”

 

“What?”

“And you have to give me a hell of a y time as an exchange for my yes.”

***

Stay tuned for part 2! :*