Chapter 1

Freefall
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been five years since I let go. It may not be the easiest years, but I did survive without you. I waited but today, I promise to move forward. 5 years is enough for me to move on, right? I told to myself while holding the wedding invitation that was given to me last week in my mailbox.

I am looking near the window of my office spacing out when my secretary went inside. I fix myself from sitting and told her to come in. She handed me a pile of papers for signature and advise that she will get them all tomorrow before she left. This has been my daily routine ever since I got promoted as the VP for People Management. Yes, I do manage people and everything about them but how ironic when I cannot even manage myself. I chuckle bitterly at myself. My phone rang and I saw the name that flashes through the screen, my best friend and partner in crime, Ningning. She's calling me every day to check up on me ever since I told her about the invitation. She was there in my five years. The last tear escape from my eyes. I immediately wipe it.

This will be the last time, I promise.

Hey, what’s up? I ask her.

I am on my way to your office. Have lunch with me.

As if I have other options? I know she furrow her eyebrow by now. I bid goodbye immediately as I know that she is still driving. I look at my wristwatch. I still have thirty more minutes to settle some documents before Ning comes. For my signatories, I will just check up on them after lunch. It was the quickest thirty minutes when Ning appears in front of my office wearing casual attire. She can go here anytime because the company offer her to be our brand ambassador, aside from the fact that is a supermodel. She didn’t need to think twice as I can recall that she narrated stating that what our friends are for. Well, I admit, we needed her. After we closed the agreement with her agency, the revenue of the company doubled from last year, thanks to me, I mean Ning, thanks to Ning. She closes the door and snatch my phone.

No monkey business on my time. I am hungry babe let’s go. My dearest Ning. She is the sweetest ever and I am really lucky to have her, but I need my phone. I tried to snatch it back again, but she inserts it in her cleavage. If I don’t know her, I might think that she likes me. Even the board members thought that there is something between us but Ning has a boyfriend living in Canada who visits her every week, yes every week.

Okay fine. Just make sure that my phone won’t be suffocated. I laugh and she pouts. I pull her hands and we proceed to the basement. I will not bring my car since the lunch is on her today. We arrive in a Japanese restaurant after 10 minutes ride. She is a well-known celebrity so all the people that we will encounter will give her some special treatment. We are seated in the best view of the restaurant overlooking the city. This is located on the 20th floor of the building and though I am afraid of heights, the view is still an exemption.

You know what, if I don’t know you, I might think that you have a crush on me. I joked at her. Well, it is somehow true. She looks like courting me ever since I got that invitation. I chuckled at her reaction. She looks like puking.

Well, you have a point, but I just want to remind you that I only did this thingy last week for your information and I know that you are not somehow okay. I am just returning the favor since you are the reason why I met Jeno in the first place. You have a special super tiny place in my pure, innocent, shining heart. She is just too sweet and Jeno is the luckiest ever. We ordered food and had a little conversation about the things we did for the day.

Did you confirmed it already? I mean if you will be in their wedding. I know I said that I will forget her but there’s still a sting here in my right chest every time I will think of her. I gave her a nod. She exclaimed. The one that will get the attention of all the people here in the restaurant. I tried to calm her down.

Why so overacting Ning?! You are embarrassing me seriously. After being shocked, she is now laughing. What a crazy woman.

I am just surprised and at the same time, I think I expected that already. A martyr will always be a martyr. But anyway, what will you do now?

What else? Maybe live?

Tsk. You know what, I can set you on a blind date. I know someone as hot as me.

If you are telling me that you will give me the same personality as you, nevermind. I prefer to be an old maid.

So killjoy. By the way, how about the batch reunion? I did not know that we will have one. Ning told me that the batch reunion will also happen the same night in the reception. Well, the bride and groom are our vice president in our batch so they thought that a reunion concept in their wedding will be the best.

How ironic that the president was not informed prior to the batch reunion? I ask raising my eyebrow. She laughed then she explained that every officer contacted me, but I am to no avail.

You did not tell everyone that I changed my number? And I get rid of all the old emails I had? I ask you to do it. I was surprised. I told Ning to advise everyone in our contacts since she was close to everyone and those are the times that I really needed to be alone. The girl in front of me only gave me a peace sign. She told me that she did that for good so that I will not be bothered by anyone. I also change my address and deactivate all my social media account. So, if that is the case, I wonder how the invitation sent to me.

I gave your address. I sigh.

So much for helping me to move on when the first person you gave my contact details was the reason of why I did that in the first place. I swear one of these days, I’ll get back on her. How can I communicate now with the batch, I somehow disappear from nowhere. She told me that our batchmates are all excited to see me since it has been five years already. The lunch lasted for only an hour and a half then we go back to our respective jobs. Am I really ready for this?

The W-Day.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter