Chapter 1 - call it quits, call it destiny

Field of Dandelions

Chapter Notes:

I'm making this as short as I can do, so please bear with me since I can't handle long stories. Their family's names will not be mentioned for privacy (their parents & such). There will be medical terms mentioned, if I use the terms wrong please let me know; I'm studying Law so some terms are unfamiliar to me. Welcome to my first SaHyo fic!

*BPD (Borderline Personality Order) - a mental health disorder that impacts the way you think and feel about yourself and others, causing problems functioning in everyday life. It includes self-image issues, difficulty managing emotions and behavior, and a pattern of unstable relationships. [retrieved from Mayo Clinic]

 

 


 

Now Playing: Easily by Bruno Major

 

The worst thing you can do in life is to fall in love.

That's how it is for Jihyo Park. She thinks that love is simply just a need and not a want; she looks at love as an unnecessary risk of your time and happiness for that one person who probably won't stay until the end.

They all leave eventually. 

"Dr. Park, your 4 PM patient has arrived. Shall I send them in?”

Without looking up from her laptop, Jihyo dismissed her assistant with a wave, "Yeah."

"Hello, Dr. Park."

“Welcome back, Mr. Do. Did Kangwoo take his medicine just like how I advised him to?” Jihyo asked as she pulls out the patient’s record, “Kangwoo, have you been sleeping well?”

“Yes, Dr. Park. I don’t see him in my dreams anymore.” the boy said with a smile and a thumbs up for his hero.

The doctor smiled, “That’s good news, Kangwoo.”

“Doctor, does this mean that Kangwoo would have to stop taking his medicines now?” the father asked with a bit of hope in his eyes.

“Unfortunately, not yet. He still might experience a relapse. In the time being, we’ll decrease his meds and monitor if it works before he’s prescribed to stop.” 

“Thank you so much, Dr. Park. You’ve been a really big help for me and my son.” The Do father said and smiled, “Kangwoo and I will miss your generosity.”

“You’re welcome, and thank you. I am so happy I helped Kangwoo in some way. Grow up well, okay?” 

“When I grow up I will become a hero just like you, Dr. Park! Thank you and bye bye. Have a safe flight!” 

Jihyo grew close with that boy, Do Kangwoo. It felt like she knows the kid since he was in his mother's womb when they only really met last year because the child almost got into an accident trying to run away from a monster named 'Count'. She sympathizes with the kid. The time where he had to be admitted to the hospital, Jihyo was there by his side to sing him lullabies until he was sound asleep. The father eventually learned that singing the child to sleep helps keeping the monster away, all thanks to Dr. Park. 

Just a while after her assistant walked the two out of the clinic, Jihyo found herself lying on the floor. 

“It must be hard to be attached to your patients, Dr. Park.”

“It is. I’m really fond of that boy. Nine years old and he already has a sense of responsibilities.” Jihyo said, “Would you miss me if I fly tonight instead, Miss Dahyun Kim?"

"Absolutely, Dr. Park. The clinic would be a tad less nosier on Fridays without you." the assistant claimed as the two laughed, "Oh! By the way, your dad is on the phone." 

The Doctor immediately stood up and ran to the telephone and cleared before answering, "Dad?"

"Jihyo Park! How have you been, my daughter? Are you ready for tomorrow?"

"Yes, dad."

"Too bad, I canceled your flight."

"I'm sorry, you what? Why would you do that?"

"Look, as much as we want you to come home, but my close friend and stockholder reached out to me. He's wondering if you can help him out with something."

"No way. I've been wanting to go home for four years now! Why would you cancel my flight like it was your decision to meddle with?"

"I already told him you agreed to help. Don't worry, this won't take long. Think of that as your one last ride, okay? Once you finish he'll help you fly back to Korea as soon as possible."

"Fine."

Jihyo ended the call in pure frustration. How dare they decide something without informing her first?

It's been six years when she started curing patients with mental health conditions. And it has been sixteen years since she last saw her family in Korea. She waited for this day for almost everyday in her life so canceling her flight back home without a heads up really pissed her off. It's almost like her father doesn't want her back home. 

She decided to take psychiatry in college because of how much she looked up to her father and grandfather. She wanted to be like them even though her mother wanted her to take engineering; she doesn't have a healthy relationship with her mother because of that same reason. After her father sent her to Japan to study, she decided to stay and work there instead, so her father extended their hospital to Osaka for her to work comfortably in. Now the Park family is famous among Asia as the family who holds the first and highest position in the medical field; with her father owning all three hospitals; one in Korea, in Japan, and in Thailand where her sister is in charge of.

"Oof, you don't seem like you received great news." Dahyun commented as she took her coat off and set it on the hanger, pointing at the clock to inform Jihyo that their duty is done for the day.

The older sighed, "I'm staying."

"Pardon?"

"I'm not leaving tomorrow. My dad gave me another problem he can't find a solution to." 

"Oh, so you're really staying? Until when?"

"Well, it's not like I have a choice. I'm basically their AI now or something like that. He also said that I'm staying until I'm done with it, and I think it'll take longer than a year."

The younger Korean huffed in disbelief as well, "Ah, you'll be fine. We can go back home together if the time comes! In the time being, AKA now, let's go grab dinner because I'm incredibly hungry."

Jihyo giggled, "Dahyun Kim, you're always hungry."

 

A couple of shots of beer and pieces of meat later, the doctor x assistant duo slash childhood best friends managed to arrive home safely.

"Yah! Momo-ssi, please open the door." Dahyun said, her words slurring and Jihyo laughing at her.

"Yah! Yah! Hirai, Hirai, Hirai!" 

"Jesus Christ, it's almost midnight! Do you have a death wish or something?" Momo said as she opened the condo door and pulled the two drunks in.

"Thank you, my love! I'll see you tomorrow." Dahyun smiled and pinched her fiance's cheek then proceeded to their room.

"Yeah, what she said. Good night, Momo-chan." Jihyo then followed suit leaving Momo to sleep on the couch that night.

"I swear I'm close to moving at a mental institute." 

 


 

"What in the hell do you mean by you're not leaving?"

"Hey, use your indoor voice. It's 9 in the morning."

"Exactly! It's 9 in the morning, you told me to drive you to the airport at 9!"

"Dahyun, has your fiance always been this loud?" Jihyo asked and groaned, shoving Momo's nagging face away from her, "Leave me alone!"

"Leave me alone, my damn foot Park! What has gotten into you? You'll be late for your flight!"

Dahyun threw Momo a pillow and clicked her tongue in annoyance, "Jihyo's not leaving because her father told her to stay! Please let me sleep in peace!" 

The Japanese rolled her eyes and pushed Jihyo out of the bed, "I hate you."

"Well damn Hirai. No need to show that you're obsessed with me." Jihyo said and rolled her eyes as Momo climbed onto the bed next to Dahyun.

"You have a room for a reason."

Their small banter was interrupted when her phone rang. 

"I'm not done with you yet, Assmonkey."

"How dare you call me that, booger goblin?!"

Jihyo slammed the couple's bedroom door and answered the call, "Hello."

"How are you, my sweet Jiji?"

"Don't call me that."

"Someone doesn't sound too happy."

"What do you want from me, Rosé? It's 9 in the morning and I'm too hungover to give a on whatever you have to say."

"That's a little vulgar, don't you think? Anyway, dad's in a board meeting right now but he wanted me to tell you that his friend wants to talk with you at brunch."

"Alright, alright I got it. Send me the details and then leave me alone." 

"Okay, got it. See you soon, my sweet sister! I love you."

"I love you too. Go yourself."

The call ended and Jihyo took a deep breath. Her head is pounding so hard she couldn't even see straight. 

Aigo, this day is a disaster waiting to happen. 

 


 

10:50 AM.

The agreed time was 10:15 and the businessman still hasn't arrived. 

For Jihyo's information, she'll be meeting with the Senior Principal of Japan's one of the few best architectural firm; Mr. Minatozaki from the Zaki Associates. That's all, the reason for their meeting was not mentioned so Jihyo is left sitting tense outside a coffee shop's veranda. She's debating whether she should order her third coffee for the day, she was so deep in ponder when a man went up to her.

"Konnichiwa, are you Dr. Jihyo Park?"

"Yes. And you are?"

"Mr. Minatozaki. I arranged a meeting with your father and he told me to talk to you personally instead."

Jihyo smiled and offered the man a chair directly from her, "Nice to finally meet you, Mr. Minatozaki."

"Nice to meet you as well, Dr. Park. I'm really sorry to hold you back from going home but I was really hoping that you could help me with a serious problem."

"It's all good, Mr. Minatozaki. But I'm curious on why you would want my help instead of my father. He's more experienced than me in terms of our specialty."

The Japanese businessman sighed, "He told me you cured two patients with BPD, if I'm not mistaken?"

"Yeah, I did." she replied in a shy tone, "One of my biggest achievements."

"One of the many you received, right?" Mr. Minatozaki said earning a chuckle from the young, "If it's not a big burden, is it okay if I arrange my daughter appointments to your clinic?"

Jihyo exhaled softly, "It depends in the situation. If your daughter is suffering from a serious disorder I would have to suggest we confine her in our hospital instead."

"Whatever it takes to treat her. I owe you my whole life, Dr. Park."

 

A couple of hours later Jihyo already arrived at her clinic, peacefully filling up her new patient's form. Sana Minatozaki, 24 years of age, suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder. 

"You look worn out, Dr. Park. Are you alright?"

"Dr. Im, hey. I'm fine don't worry about me."

"I heard you'll be extending your stay. Are you really okay with helping this patient?" Dr. Im asked as she looked at Dr. Park's screen, "BPD. Won't this take a few years? Your two BPD patients took almost all your years active."

"It'll be fine. You see, I really don't have the choice to decline this patient. My father arranged it for me."

Dr. Im furrowed her brows as she crosses her arms, "Why didn't he take it instead? He's the number 1 psychiatrist in Korea."

"We're not in Korea, Miss Nayeon Im."

"Ah right," Nayeon laughed, "You're number 1 in Japan! That's my best friend."

The two doctors laughed. They spent the whole day studying Jihyo's new patient as they already planned all the possible problems and outcomes of the patient. Dr. Nayeon Im would be in charge of the patient once they suspect if the borderliner would become a danger to themself. 

"Ooh, her Instagram feed is so pretty. It's theme colored yellow."

"Aish! Nayeon Im how did you find her account, you stalker!" Jihyo sneered and took the laughing doctor's phone away, "Don't you go flirting with this one. You know what their capable and incapable of."

"I know, I know! Relax, I don't let my personal life get mixed up with my professional life."

Hours passed by again and the two are almost done with their study session. Just a few more thesis terms to revise and patient information to study. Jihyo found her Japanese patient quite interesting—and very tiresome. In Nayeon's term, 'quite punchable'. BPD patients are often involved in cheating and anger issues but they found this one as hard as putting back a ceramic pot. 

After wrapping things up, the doctors finally clocked out and bid each other good byes. On the way home, Jihyo felt bad about pissing Momo off so she decided to stop by the nearest convenience store to buy her peace offering; fifteen packs of ramyeon and tock soda. With her strong arms, she was able to walk to the cashier slowly, people staring at her.

"If you needed help you could've just called me."

"How many times have I asked you to go yourself, Lee?" 

"My fingers can only raise ten, but you told me to myself for thr eighteenth time with passion." Taeyong said with a smug smile, "I've been trying to look for you all day, my love."

Jihyo scoffed and slapped Taeyong's hand off her shoulder, "Leave me alone, weirdo. Haven't I told you that I didn't want anything to do with you?"

"Look, I'm really sorry. I didn't mean all the things I said and—"

"Cut it out. I don't want you back in my life. What's so hard to understand?"

"Don't use that tone with me, Park!" Taeyong yelled, almost everyone, including the cashier, stared at the two. Before he could hit Jihyo, someone had already landed a punch on his face.

"Aigo, look at you hitting a woman. Why don't you pick someone your own size?"

Taeyong yelled in frustration before storming out the convenience store, " you, man."

Everyone went back to their own businesses and the cashier handed Jihyo's item while apologizing for the mess. The person who punched Taeyong was now helping Jihyo carry her items. 

"Next time, spit in his face." the person said and chuckled before heading out the store. They had a slim figure and has a sweet, soft voice. Almost like a girl owns the voice, but she wasn't that sure. The person was wearing a hoodie, mask, and a hat so it was hard for Jihyo to recognize them. Whatever, it's time to head home anyway. 

 


 

"Dr. Park, your patient's here to see you."

"Please send them in, Miss Kim."

 

"Oh! I think I've seen you before!"