Naomi

Sense and sensuous

Naomi is 17. She came to Korea with her parents and her baby sister when she was 7 years old as a war refugee from Kenya.

Growing up in Korea wasn't easy. It had its perks. The culture was interesting and the food was great. However as a black and foreign girl Naomi always found it hard to fit in. When she was younger her parents always taught her that sometimes she would be judged for her skin color  but still she should respect everyone. "Why would they judge me for my skin color ?" 7 years old Naomi thought to herself. She didn't understand at that time but now 10 years later she finally did.

No matter where she went people would stare at her. Some with curiosity, others with disgust and even others in a creepy way. But as years passed the stares eventually faded or she just got used to it.

Naomi had crushes as she was growing up but was always too shy to approach anyone. One day on 9th grade she gathered the courage to speak to Lee min ki a boy she had a crush on. In fact she was in love with him. It looked like he reciprocated the feelings by the way he would stare at her. Not with same look she's used to get from other people but a different one. Naomi didn't really know how to explain it but she knew it was different. Although they were in the same class, he never really approached her as per say but she also knew that Korean boys were shy, well at least some of them.

She spotted him  by his locker putting some books away and went to his direction. 

-" Hey," - she said shyly as she was close enough. 

He looked at her surprise in his eyes but quickly masked it with a small smile. 

- "I-I really like you and I was thinking if maybe we could go on a date someday?

He was shocked at first, looking everywhere but at her. She could see he was thinking hard like trying to find the right words to respond.

The pause was too long. Was he going to say something? Naomi was contemplating if she should just leave before things turned awkward. 

" Well hmm... " Naomi started 

Whatever the battle he was fighting internally came to an end 

" I'm sorry but I would never date someone like you. I don't like black girls. "

He turned to leave as he said that. Naomi stood there watching his back untill he was no longer in sight.

She swallowed a big lump as tears flowed down her cheeks. "I would never date someone like you" his words stung to her heart and stuck like glue to her mind. Naomi shrouded at the memories. Now she was wiser. She knew better than to just tell her feelings like that.