We go together like drum & bass.

Rockin' Symphonia

Shin Yuna could NOT understand how these two could work so well. The band had this unexplainable synergy that could be felt, even in the abandoned garage they frequented to practice. Palpable, wafting through the air, dancing along the raw chords of Lee Chaeryeong and Choi Jisu’s -- er, Lia’s -- guitar, vibrating with Hwang Yeji’s bass, and thumping madly to the powerful rhythms of Shin Ryujin’s impeccable drumming. And yet, with just Yeji and Ryujin, there was a totally different energy and aura that Yuna had not been able to ignore for a while now.

 

Yes, there was tension that could be sliced through with a switchblade, but something about this tension was… endearing to watch.

 

Brought together by the most mundane circumstances, the story between Yeji and Ryujin was the most fascinating. While Chaeryeong, Lia and Yuna all meet behind the musty venue of a band that has not touched their town since -- shortly before fleeing the scene when the cops raided the venue --, Yeji and Ryujin seemed to have more history than the entire band together. But that story remained hidden from all the members of the bands, like it was not a big deal. And it really wasn’t, but… the curiosity from Yuna, the powerful and charismatic frontwoman, could not subside.

 

“You should replace my drumming one day, I want to try to bass,” Shin Ryujin said casually, twirling her drumsticks as she looked at Yeji with an indescribable look in her eyes. Was it cheeky? Was it a tease? Was it something else? It was hard to tell.

 

“Oh yeah? Have you finally realized I’m superior at drumming?” Yeji said grinning, flipping her long, red mane cockily. 

 

Ryujin rolled her eyes, but couldn’t help that subtle smile from pulling at her lips. “What if I think I’m better than you in the bass?”

 

“As if,” Yeji laughed, continuing to warm up on her bass, barely looking at the instrument. It was cheeky, like even more of a tease to Ryujin.

 

“Oh?” The short-haired drummer tilted her head, grabbing the sticks and starting to hit the snare rhythmically. It wasn’t powerful, rather something simple to warm up. With a mocking tone, she started to chant. “Paradiddle, paradiddle, paradiddle.” The chant matched the rhythm of her wrist perfectly, hitting each little beat.

 

Yeji gasped. “Oh you, Shin Ryujin. The paradiddles are hard and they can my .”

 

“Paradiddle, paradiddle, paradiddle -- We have five songs that require the paradiddle, paradiddle, paradiddle, Hwang Yeji.”

 

“And we have seven songs that require my long fingers on the fretboard and a lot of fast technique, I would love to see your tiny hands try that.”

 

Ryujin gasped, breaking off the pattern of her rhythm. “Okay, that’s a low blow--.”

 

Yuna was there next to the microphone, one hand on her hips and another one on the microphone and its stand. She watched in awe how two of their best musicians could not -- for the love of all things holy -- stop bickering. Meanwhile Chaeryeong and Lia were busy tuning their guitars, already accustomed to their banter but still amusingly listening here and there. Yuna couldn’t help but to feel entertained by this little show.

 

Out of the band, Chaeryeong knew Ryujin the most and Lia knew Yeji the most. Yuna didn’t know either of them until they were all introduced to form the band. And of course, the youngest of the team, will never forget that day.

 

 It was just outside this very garage, one beautiful afternoon with the golden and orange glows on the horizons. Yuna formally met Ryujin first, noticing that striking look in her eyes that told you she was trouble, but very fun trouble. The cool way she walked, lit her cigarette, the simple but powerful attire of a dark t-shirt tucked in, jeans and big boots gave off the look of someone who walked the walk and did what they wanted. They didn’t need the flashy attire, or the studs; they didn’t need the crazy hairs but rather just a short blue bob that showed off a feminine charm so quintessentially Ryujin. She was also interesting. When shaking Yuna’s hand, she was firm but loose, interested but not too formal. When asking for the sound of the band, she smiled at the explanation.

 

“We’re looking for a raw, melodic sound, with a bit of screaming and singing,” Yuna said instantly, gauging Ryujin’s reaction.

 

Of course, Ryujin smirked. “You’ve got me there, I can work with that,” she winked and took a long drag from her cigarette, looking away to the nearby fields and letting the smoke slip past her lips, just letting it drift in the air. Ah, she let it kiss her lips one more time before it disappeared, her eyes focused on the beautiful green pastures and weeds around this dilapidated garage.

 

Ah, she was so cool! No tattoos on sight but that somehow made her so enthralling to watch. Nothing too showy, just subtle swagger. For a brief moment, Yuna considered that Ryujin would’ve been a great front-woman, had it not been for the appearance of Hwang Yeji.

 

The bandmates were all hanging outside, waiting for their soon-to-be-bassist. They were all chatting quietly, getting to know one another until they heard that ferocious rumble from afar. The sun was setting fast, but its glow showed no clouds. It was definitely not the strike of thunder from afar.

 

“Ah,” Lia laughed. “That’s Yeji.”

 

“Yeji?” Ryujin asked briefly, but no one heard her thanks to Yuna.

 

“Well, our first issue is going to be transportation for sure.”

 

The rumbling engine of her motorcycle grew closer and closer until the girls could finally see the woman inching closer. Hwang Yeji arrived in her motorcycle, dressed in fishnets, skirt, a black leather jacket and a cheerful smile hidden behind the protective helmet. The roaring engine came to a purr and died off in the flick of Yeji’s wrist. She looked flashier in body than she did in the face. Instead, with the helmet off now, she let her cat-like eyes bewitch the girls. Little to no makeup, red hair braided in braided twintails and a fresh smile that spoke of quiet rebelliousness. That instantly made Shin Ryujin nervous and less cool. Yuna noticed because Ryujin took more drags of her cigarette, her leg shook a little more and her voice was a little wavery when Yeji locked eyes with her. Yeji, on the other hand, kept smiling, but she had that glint in her eyes of mischievousness slowly growing. 

 

“You’ve got a colorful set of friends, Lia,” Yeji said, prodding her with her pointing elbow. And of course, her eyes crossed Ryujin’s glance.

 

Ryujin looked away, throwing down the cigarette and stepping on it.

 

These two knew each other from somewhere, but neither of them would spill it.

 

Yuna assumed it was a secret that not even Chaeryeong or Lia knew. A secret nuzzled in the long gazes they shared, the slightly tentative touches they shared here and there, the quiet adulation they had for one another.

 

To Yuna, it became way more evident when confronted with the dilemma. Both Yeji and Ryujin could play the drums and the bass, and so they were discussing who would fit which role best. The two had been quiet, letting the other girls bicker and talk over each other to decide. It wasn’t until Yeji raised a fist and laid down the law. Yeji suggested Ryujin for the drum, who had impeccable timing, power and creativity. In turn, Ryujin suggested Yeji for the bass, because she felt she was nowhere near Yeji’s level of skills and genius.

 

When the silence impregnated the garage, Ryujin shrugged. “Besides, drumming is more fun.”

 

“Have you seen her play?” Yuna asked out of mere curiosity.

 

And she could swear she heard Ryujin clear a little bit. 

 

“I’ve seen her play, yeah. She’s pretty good,” Ryujin said, sounding cool. “Her fingers are way quicker than mine.”

 

Yeji cocked her eyebrow up, a subtle smirk appearing just a second. Too quick for anyone to even think it was there once.

 

Chaeryeong and Lia kept the conversation going before Yuna could even insinuate that there was something palpable between the two of them. And so the opportunity never arose to ask.

 

The young Yuna was not only extremely charismatic, but observant. Yes, she was cheeky, you see? She noticed since how everytime Yeji sat on the drum set to get some practice, Ryujin would watch her with arms crossed, standing so cool, but looking at her like the world was insignificant next to her. Whenever Ryujin adventured with the bass, Yeji watched with far looser body language, looking just as proud as a mother would -- giving a tip or two in between a tease. She would notice how, before actual practice, they would riff off each other and give each other feedback. Naturally, Yeji gave everyone feedback (like the undiscussed leader she was), but with Ryujin… it felt so personal, different. This one is hard to notice, but Yuna caught them staring into each other’s lips once. Ryujin’s tie was a little messed up before a show, Yeji -- also like the mom of the group -- spruced up her looks and fixed her tie. Then, in that moment of “justified” closeness, they both stared into each other’s eyes and looked at each other’s lips with a quiet hunger. A moment that passed way too fast in the hecticness of the shows and the back-and-forth of people walking about with drinks in hand.

 

But this was all Yuna knew and noticed.

 

Ah, you must be dying to know what is up with those two, right? I will tell you, since you’ve so kindly listened to me ramble! You did not hear this from me, but the history between these two idiots runs as far back as their childhood, but there was nothing too juicy in substance.

 

These two knew each other since childhood. Well, rather, they were born under the same hospital, lived in the same town since their birth and briefly found each other in kindergarten. They truly met and became friends in elementary but have been on and off each other’s life ever since they kissed during graduation. In Highschool they were on opposite ends of the building at all times, in different classes, in lockers far apart from one another -- glancing at each other from afar in the hallways but never interacting save for one or two occasions. Like prom for example, where they found each other driven to each other’s arms for a dance where all tension and anticipation nearly culminated in a kiss only to be interrupted by the DJ. In their young adulthood they’ve seen each other a little more in shows, venues, stores and even the mall. Ryujin had seen Yeji’s shows with her old band (now dissolved), and Yeji had quietly watched Ryujin working at her dad’s auto shop from afar.

 

All this unresolved tension, all this undiluted attraction, and yet they could not approach each other and rekindle that friendship they were curious about. Ryujin was, as you kids would say it, a gay mess. While Yeji was a little more secure in her identity, knowing that she still had effect on Ryujin, she still had some reservations about everything. Was it only in her head? Was she the only one catching Ryujin staring at her? Was she imagining things? In typical Yeji fashion, she kept all her feelings discreetly bottled up and her glance, while sometimes blurring the line between adoring and obscene, were never out of place for anyone to notice.

 

The day Yuna found them staring into each other’s lips? They had just come out of the bathroom after having an strangely intense conversation by only bandying proper, normal words. 

 

It wasn’t the first show, but it was one of the firsts. The bassist and the drummer had only exchanged a few interactions, completely friendly, prior to this but something in the atmosphere of that public restroom, lonely and beaten, had the two of them suddenly a bit chatty. Yeji was adjusting her makeup through the cracked mirror, Ryujin was bewitched glancing at her discreetly. 

 

The first one to talk was the less messy of the two gays.

 

“Are you nervous?” Yeji asked.

 

The question was a little surprising for Ryujin, but she looked away and nodded. “Yeah,” Ryujin. “I feel my legs are extra shaky.”

 

Yeji smiled, sighing a little. “You’ll do well, I trust your skills.” 

 

Ryujin crossed her arms and leaned her back against the sink. “It’s my first time playing with this many people watching.”

 

Yeji glanced over, noticing the way Ryujin still scrunched her eyebrows and pouted a little when she was anxious. Smiling, she walked on over to Ryujin, body next to body. “You’ve got this, Shin Ryujin. You’ve always got it.”

 

Ryujin suddenly felt the proximity, slowly looking on up to Yeji’s eyes. Her eyes were pleading, strange, but she tried her best to keep cool. Nervously, she started to fidget with her tie. “I don’t want to screw this up.”

 

“Half the venue is probably drunk and will moshpit to everything,” Yeji laughed. “You’ve got nothing to worry about,” though… to Yeji, watching the cool Ryujin worry was endearing. She looked at her, endearing.

 

Ryujin looked at her, still confused, but loving the gaze. What was this heavy silence descending upon them? And why was it… so comfortable? It was like they weren’t meant to speak to each other at all, just stare at each other. Counter-productive, considering all they needed to do was TALK about what had happened years ago, which they never did. But there they were, giving each other a yearning once-over, looking into each other’s eyes without a care in the world.

 

Ryujin’s shaky voice tried to break the silence. “Did you eat something?”

Yeji, still hypnotized, spoke ever so softly, hearing her voice barely echo. “Yeah, have you?”

 

“Yeah,” Ryujin’s lip trembled.

 

Yeji noticed, of course. Her slender hand, also lightly shaky from the adrenaline, grabbed Ryujin by the chin and made her look up at her, thumb lightly grazing her lower lip. “Don’t chicken out on me, okay?”

 

Then Yeji’s watch beeped. It broke the atmosphere and made them both jump away from each other. The time was closing in, the stage would be theirs.


Ryujin cleared and rubbed the back of her neck.

 

Yeji cleared and scratched her head with a subtle shy smile. “It’s time, let’s go.”

 

And so, when they walked out of the bathroom, the mythical moment happened where it clicked for Yuna.

 

Unknown to Yuna, however, was what happened after that.

 

Everyone was passed out on Lia’s living room after celebrating a successful show, except for Shin Ryujin, who was placing soft blankets on top of the girls, making sure they were okay, that nothing dangerous was on their way. Bottles were put away to the kitchen, snacks were cleaned off the floor and the T.V was turned off, though not like anyone minded. When Ryujin was finished, she grabbed the blankets and covered each of the girls, fixing their positions and… wait.

 

Chaeryeong, Lia, Yuna… ah, yes, Yeji wasn’t here. But why? She recalls watching the cat-eyed bassist passing out faster than everyone. Maybe she went home? Ryujin could leave it like this, but her curiosity drove her. 

 

Ryujin began her quick search, starting from the bedrooms to the bathroom and finally, the backyard. When Ryujin walked out to the back porch, she noticed the quiet Yeji looked up at the sky, sitting down on the vast grassfield of Lia’s nearly empty backyard. 

 

“Ah, there you are,” Ryujin said softly, catching the attention of the hypnotized Yeji.

 

Yeji only smiled and invited her to sit next to her and watch. Reluctantly, Ryujin accepted, sitting down next to her and looking at the bright, twinkling stars. A beautiful evening, one that would soothe the soul of anyone that wished to stay outside to watch it; a tender breeze tickling and caressing the skin, ruffling the loose strands of both of the girl’s hair. No crickets or frogs made any appearances (thank god, because Ryujin hated them), the rustling of the leaves in the distance made for a lovely ambiance, but nothing more was said.

 

Nothing…

 

Until Ryujin could not do anymore. She looked down to Yeji and held her hand.

 

This surprised Yeji, making her look down into Ryujin’s eyes slowly.

 

Ah, Ryujin did not understand what come to her, but what followed was a heartfelt confession. I cannot even replicate what was said, for it was so heavy with feeling and filled with words to match them. Ryujin felt her own coolness fall through to give way to a more honest portrayal of what she truly felt. Her hand clung to Yeji, her eyes stayed into hers no matter how nervous she saw. Her lips trembled, her voice shook, but it said that it needed to be said. She showed Yeji that side that Yeji hadn’t seen since elementary school, she let Yeji feel that romantic side of her that Yeji had only witnessed that one prom night where they (inexplicably) ended up slow dancing in each other’s embrace. Her heart, her smile, her romantic side, all laid bare for Yeji. And when Yeji felt her own words slipping past her lips without a sound, Ryujin took it upon herself to show her just how much she felt. Ryujin was the one to initiate the hungry kiss under the stars; the one who lead the rhythm for the soft pleased moans. Yeji responded with enthusiasm, hand on cheek, but soon the kiss was abruptly cut.

 

When they both pulled away, Yeji smiled softly. Now, she found the words.

 

“I’ve always loved you, you idiot.”

 

And Yeji made sure to show Ryujin just how much. Letting her lips draw the silhouette, letting her tongue paint the rest, allowing her fingers to spruce up the details and letting her sweet voice sing the melodies that Ryujin always wanted to hear. Ryujin’s fingers curled up in a fist on Yeji’s red, luscious mane, her other hand clung to Yeji’s back and scratched it, clinging to her thin pajama shirt. Yeji succumbed to all those hidden feelings, letting an affectionate beast take over her as she savored every inch of Ryujin’s skin. Ryujin let Yeji come onto her, take her place on top, succumbed to such exquisite affection. Yes, she could not do more, she has fought back her own needs for far too long. She trusted Yeji, so she let her. It was all so obscenely public and reckless, so abrupt, but she could not move this anywhere. They needed each other, and they needed each other now. They both let their own desires consume them under the scrutiny of the stars; let them be the witness of something so raw it was hard to look away from. 

 

Quiet gasps died in the air with no witnesses, like it had never happened. But it did, and it was at long last!

 

The night culminated with the two love birds cuddling and watching the milky way in between quiet pants and tender caresses. Their bodies were exhausted, but their smiles were as pure as the unmuddied lake. They hadn’t said anything official, but they understood each other after this little event.

 

Shin Yuna didn’t know any of this, but she could intuit with the way their gaze felt. It was heavy, with history that neither of them would disclose. In present time, they were closer to one another, Ryujin was less nervous and more playful while Yeji felt like she shined ten times as bright.

 

Soon, though, Yuna’s questions will be answered. Far sooner than she thought.

 

“Get back to me when you know how to do my ,” Yeji said cockily, flipping her long hair again. “If your clumsy fingers ever let you.”

 

Ryujin rolled her eyes. “Come to me when you the way I do,” Ryujin flipped her short blue hair, mockingly in return.

 

Wait, what?

“As if you didn’t learn it from me,” Yeji snorted.

 

WHAT?!

 

Then total silence. No one moved.

 

Ryujin’s eyes widened. It had only registered then what she said and what the response was. And when she looked up, she saw Yeji’s cocky grin fall instantly when it clicked on her mind as well, eyes widened just like Ryujin’s. Helplessly, she looked at Ryujin, who could only clear .

 

Oh, this was rich, Yuna thought, pressing her lips together to avoid laughing out loud.

 

Chaeryeong and Lia’s head slowly came up from their guitars and looked at each other before both of their heads snapped to Yeji’s and Ryujin’s direction. Silence, total silence.

 

Amidst the utter silence that seemed to grow more and more, Chaeryeong’s soft voice was the first to break the tension. “That explains a few things.”

 

And of course, soon followed Yuna with a few too many decibels added to her volume. “I ing knew it!”

 

That was masks off, in between laughter at least.