Convenience Store

I See You When It Rains

 

 

“When do you think it’ll stop?” Eunbi asks.

 

Eunha doesn’t give her any answer because she was actually asking the same thing. Also because she’s pretty sure that Eunbi doesn’t really want to receive an answer from her. She only looks at the sky. It’s completely white all over. It definitely won’t stop in an hour. Eunha looks at the high school girl. Feeling pity for her.  Her parents must be worried. 

She looks at her stuff. Her eyes fixed on the book. She lifts it.

“I’m in big trouble.”

She turns her head and look at Eunbi. Eunbi’s looking at her. Then she can hear the younger girl’s stomach growl. She looks away.

Eunha remembers that they have been trapped in the gazebo since before lunch. They haven’t eaten anything since. The younger girl must have been very hungry now. Eunha too actually. But she doesn’t have anything to eat. She looks at her umbrella instead.

She grabs it and moves closer to Eunbi. She hands it over. The younger girl takes turns looking at the umbrella and Eunha. Confused.

“Use this.”

Eunbi’s just looking at it.

“Use this to go home. Your parents must have been worried and you have to dry your uniform too.”

“What about you?”

“Like I said before, if I wanted to use it, I would’ve used it. It’s okay. I can wait.”

Eunbi hesitates but she takes the umbrella from Eunha’s hand. 

She grabs her bag and opens the umbrella.

“Thanks.” She says.

Eunha nods slightly. She watches as Eunbi’s back slowly disappears from her sight.

“Now I have to wait till it’s over.” She says while leaning her body back.

She has to wait for another 2 hours until the rain stops. She puts the half-wrinkled book back in her still half-wet bag. She doesn’t know how she’s going to return the book to Yuna, but she needs to go back first now.

She buys some food on her way home. Put it in the microwave as soon as she gets in her apartment and try to dry her bag once again while waiting for it to warm up. She should call Yuna, she thinks. But then what? She still has some time to think and to use the book before she has to give it back. She thinks maybe she’ll come up with a better idea later so brushes off another thought of telling Yuna what has happened to the book.

Just then she remembers about Eunbi. Something about her pricks Eunha’s feelings. She doesn’t know what. She moves to the dining table to eat her food. Finally, another food for her that day. It tastes 100 times tastier when you’re really hungry.

But even when she eats, the thought of Eunbi comes again to her mind.

‘Just what exactly…Oh, ! My card! I left my other card in the jacket!’

She remembers she hadn't taken out her card inside her pocket after using it to buy something in the convenience store on her way to the campus.

She’s panicked. She doesn’t have Eunbi’s contact. Plus, she actually doesn’t know what kind of a person Eunbi is. She could just use the card without her permission. She suddenly remembers Eunbi's uniform. She knows where she goes to school. It’s located a bit far from her campus but she could visit the school to find the younger girl.

***

After class Eunha is ready to go to Eunbi’s school when Yuna taps her and tells her about the meeting that she has to do for a drama project. It’s important for the semester exam. Eunha didn’t remember about it. She is contemplating but she gives up meeting Eunbi today. She just hopes that the younger girl won’t use the card or worse, it got lost somewhere.

“I hope she isn't even aware that it’s there.” Eunha mumbles. “But that’s impossible. Should I go and block the card? .”

Yuna, who has been beside her, is confused. 

“What happened?”

“Ah, nothing.”

“Okay. By the way, see you tomorrow.” Yuna, then walks in a different direction.

The forecast says that it will be bright all day. And even quite warm at night, so Eunha has been in a very good mood today. She wants to eat chicken feet in her favorite restaurant for dinner. She lifts her bag and walks brightly to the restaurant. One thing that Eunha thinks will make that day even better is to have someone to eat with. Most of her friends don't like spicy food. And she’s very strict about food. She wouldn’t eat something that she doesn’t want to eat at that moment. So, she always ends up eating alone. 

Her phone suddenly rings. She stops and checks.

There’s an incoming message.

It’s a notification of the card usage. Someone has used her card to buy something in the convenience store. 

.

Just when she reads the message, she can smell something familiar. Then a drop of water falls on her phone. 

Double . 

‘They say it won’t rain today! Aaah…’

Euna is more frustrated than ever. The forecast is rarely wrong but out of that 1% chance, she thinks why it has to be this exact moment. She quickly runs to find a shelter. As most of the buildings around her are private establishments she can’t just go in. Then she finds the closest convenience store and goes in. 

The doorbell rings. 

The first thing she sees is a girl standing in front of her who perhaps was looking outside before she’s looking at her. 

Both are surprised.

Eunha swifts her gaze down to look at the hands of the girl. She carries a sandwich, a cup ramyeon that hasn’t been cooked, and two bottles of juice. Also, a card in between her fingers. 

“My card!” Eunha quickly takes her card from Eunbi’s hand. 

“I can explain.” Eunbi says right away. 

Eunha looks at Eunbi. She doesn’t know if she has to listen to Eunbi’s explanation or not, but looking at the situation where it seems like they’re going to be stuck in the convenience store for a while, she tells Eunbi to sit. There’s no one except them and the cashier inside so there are plenty of spaces for them. 

Eunbi slides a bottle of the juice to Eunha’s direction as soon as they sit. Eunha takes turns looking at Eunbi and the bottle. 

“I was actually on my way to give it back to you until…” Eunbi looks hesitant to tell what happened next.

“Until what?”

“Until I’m hungry and I realize I forgot to bring my wallet when I was about to pay.” She looks a bit embarrassed to admit it. 

Eunha doesn’t know whether she has to believe it or not.

“But here, I bought you this juice and this sandwich.” Eunbi adds. She puts the sandwich beside the bottles that she gave to Eunha before.

“But that’s my money...nevermind.” 

Eunha is quite hungry but she doesn’t want to eat sandwich. She looks at the cup ramyeon.

“I want that instead.” She says while sliding the sandwich back to Eunbi. 

“Ah…” Eunbi switches the cup ramyeon and the sandwich, but she also doesn’t want to eat the sandwich. So, she’s looking at it for a while. “Umm...then can I owe you again? For a cup of ramyeon.”

Eunha hesitates. 

“Fine, but can you also get hot water for my ramyeon?”

“Sure.” Eunbi answers right away. Eunha can see a smile on her face. 

Eunbi takes the card and the ramyeon. She comes back after a while with two ramyeon on her hands. 

“Don’t worry. I’ll pay you back.” She says.

“No need.”

Eunha looks outside.