[bonus] because i love them a lot.

if there's anything sweeter than this, it's probably love.

a/n: hella long because i got carried away and i enjoyed writing them too much.

//

 

jung wheein isn't sure what's more obvious— the substitute teacher's negligence towards her class, or moon byulyi's conspicuous stare and fleeting glances.  

 

on one hand, wheein is delighted because the absence of their literature teacher meant no boring analysis and deciphering of damn stanzas from novels or poems she knows she will never read. it's a little bit satire, because wheein does read, really, she's quite an avid reader— but not to the point of being a bookworm and keeps stashes under her bed.

 

on the other hand, wheein is coy. she feels like she's about to shrink until she vanishes into nothingness with the way byulyi's eyes are piercing into her soul. when she first finds out that there would be a free period, she thought about spending her time just doodling away. 

 

wheein never would have thought byulyi would take advantage of the teacher's inattentiveness and straight up drag a chair towards her desk and place herself in front of her. sandeul's busy prattling away with his other friends and truthfully she should be seeing byulyi in his circle. 

 

yet here she is, not so subtly staring at her instead. wheein swears she never has this much difficulty replacing a mechanical pencil's lead in her entire lifetime. should her fingers be trembling this much? she grimaces when the lead breaks in her careless grasp. 

 

she gives up, maybe try again later when byulyi isn't all but boring her eyes through her.

 

"you know... you're not exactly subtle with all the staring." wheein says after a breath, gently setting down her pencil and opts to fidget with her own fingers instead.

 

when she finally decides to look up, she catches byulyi's eyes darting away somewhere else behind her. and suddenly, byulyi is the more conscious one between the two of them. wheein's lips quirk up slightly at her abrupt awkwardness, watching her eyes flitting everywhere but her.

 

"oh that's just because i'm very bad at being subtle." byulyi nervously chuckles, flashing her toothy grin. at least she has the decency to be embarrassed about it.

 

which explains why this staring thing was actually a normal occurence for the two of them, and really wheein should have gotten used to it but byulyi's eyes on her always makes her feel... demure and bare. 

 

they do talk, but it would always end up with wheein being byulyi's eye candy. i wonder what she sees in me, the thought may or may not have crossed wheein's mind many times.

 

byulyi pulls her lips between her teeth, rubs her nape when wheein gives her a knowing smile. she shifts her gaze outside the window instead, thankful because wheein sits right next to it. she suddenly finds the garderner downstairs tending to the school's orchard interesting.

 

i literally have no idea what to do around her. because byulyi thinks that looking at her object of affection like she hangs the stars is all she's good at. maybe she should quit it with her whole 'i'm gonna stare at you until you love me' agenda. 

 

she doesn't think that's gonna work, but the sight of wheein shying away under her gaze is so, so precious and endearing that byulyi thinks she's going to fall over.

 

-

 

wheein thinks, actually she knows, that her mom has an exceptional memory. it's because it runs in the blood and wheein herself is really amazing when it comes to memorising. but she still hadn't expect her mom to recognise a face she's only seen once, and that was about a month ago when she picked her up from byulyi's home.

 

"darling, isn't that a friend of yours? the moon girl?" her mom points out, tapping her shoulders just as they exit out of a café.

 

it was enough for wheein to whirl around so quick at the mere mention of byulyi. she follows her mom's hand pointed at a particular direction. and certainly, her eyes landed on a familiar duo just across the street.

 

"oh you're right..." wheein's eyebrows rose, the coincidence surprises her a little. 

 

there's byulyi, in a windbreaker and sweats, hair tied into a low ponytail and head covered with a cap. the fact that her mom was able to recognise byulyi despite the cap barely hiding her eyes was bewildering. and she's walking janggu in this cool, evening weather. 

 

"looks like she's walking her dog, why don't you say hi?" her mom nudges her, there's a weird grin on her face that raises wheein's suspicions. 

 

"s-say hi...?" she isn't sure what her mom was planning but there was nothing she could do when her mom was already pulling on her elbow, dragging her across the street.

 

janggu senses their presence first, he looks back with his ears perked, and startles byulyi when he starts making his way towards wheein who stood rigidly beside her mom.

 

when byulyi turns and meets their eyes, her mom nudges her back endlessly. janggu paws at her feet softly, his little tail wagging at the sight of wheein. she smiles, crouches down and runs her hand through his soft fur.

 

"wheein?" byulyi calls out, her voice in obvious disbelief.

 

they never ran into each other on the streets, so byulyi happens to be just as shocked as her. wheein stands back up, unconsciously placing her hands behind her back.

 

"byul, hi." she responds meekly, relieved that her voice didn't falter.

 

she watches as byulyi's face brighten upon her greeting, and ignores the heat creeping up her cheeks. remembering that she was once in byulyi's comfortable clothes didn't help in relieving the heat off her face at all. 

 

and when byulyi looks at her mom, wheein tries not to laugh and barely keeps herself from grinning. she tries to casually cover as byulyi becomes starstruck.

 

"oh wow, i mean... hello... mrs jung?" she sounded unsure, byulyi's panicking eyes going back and forth between wheein and the equally gorgeous woman beside her was almost wheein's limit to suppressing her laughter.

 

wheein gave a small, firm nod when byulyi's eyes ask for confirmation regarding her mom. 

 

"evening, are you the moon byulyi my daughter keeps talking about?"

 

wheein inhales sharply, eyes instantly squeezed shut as soon as her mom blurts out unnecessary words. she really should have seen this coming. now, she can only succumb to her fate, embarrassingly so. 

 

it caused byulyi to be tongue-tied for a second, glancing at wheein with arched brows, seemingly amused with the newfound information. 

 

"um... i suppose i am." byulyi answers, albeit timidly. 

 

"interesting. my daughter talks about you from time to time. she even exaggerated once about how you changed her life, said you were like an eye-opener or something." her mom has the audacity to laugh after exposing her, wheein feels the heat in her head spiralling out of control, embarrassment overwhelming her petite frame.

 

"really..." byulyi gives her a fleeting look again, the corner of her lips twitch.

 

wheein tugs her mom's hand, slowly sliding herself behind her (evil!) mother. there's a pout on her lips now, but her mom reassures her by patting her arm.

 

"i-i didn't! mom, please stop embarrassing me-" 

 

"why don't you come over for a while?"

 

oh her mom sure is wicked, crazy wicked, wheein thinks. wheein makes sure not to forget this little scheme of hers, she starts to think of various ways to pay back her mom the same amount of embarrassment she caused her today. planning a spontaneous date for her and a certain man her mom's been meeting frequently would be a good start. 

 

wheein couldn't wait to paint her own embarrassment on her beloved mother's face.

 

"uh, come over...?" byulyi tilts her head, much like janggu would when you get his attention.

 

"yes, i wasn't able to thank you in person properly for being kind to my daughter and looking after her that day. so think of this as a token of my gratitude."

 

a graceful smile makes its way to the older woman's lips, byulyi is perplexed because one minute she's happily walking janggu and the next, she's bestowed this golden opportunity to visit the jung's household. 

 

if it weren't for her conscience, byulyi would have agreed to the offer in a heartbeat. she's all giddy and is already having a hard time trying to bite down the incoming smile on her lips. 

 

"sorry, can i have a minute to give my mom a call first?" byulyi chokes out after feigning a cough, not wanting to appear too desperate in front of wheein and not to mention her mother.

 

byulyi reels out her phone and dips her head, grinning when she sees the two jungs taking their time to entertain themselves with janggu. in all honesty, she's so sure that her mom would chide her for being shameless so she didn't really expect anything.

 

"wheeinie you say? then i don't see why not, i'll save your dinner lest your father gobbles it up. be home before seven."

 

when her mother hangs up with chic, byulyi is frozen in her spot with her phone still glued to her ear, jaw hung loose because did her mother really just gave her the green light? byulyi is really starting to think that wheein holds some kind of power over her mom.

 

she breaks out of her stupor, pocketing her phone rather robotically as she turns to face the jungs again, this time with a sheepish smile.

 

"she says it's fine. i think i could stay for half an hour."

 

"oh that's more than enough time sweetie! i heard you've been wanting to meet ggomo." byulyi tries not to jump along when wheein's mom starts to bounce in blatant excitement.

 

just as they were about to walk to the jung residence, the sound of a ringtone alarms them. 

 

"sorry kids, but i need to take this call. go on ahead, i'll be right behind you." 

 

wheein forces out an awkward smile, of course the universe decides to side with her mother. when she glances over her shoulder, she catches a glimpse of her mom talking over the phone but the woman is looking at her slyly, jutting out her chin signalling her to continue on as she follows behind them slowly.

 

wheein feels weird as she walks, it's like her legs suddenly became rusty, feeling her bones creak with every step she takes. byulyi, having noticed her anxious state, tries to ease the awkwardness by passing her janggu's leash.

 

"here, try it. janggu wouldn't mind." she says, soft and gentle in tone so as to not alarm wheein.

 

wheein looks at her hesitantly, but byulyi's eyes are warm and they tell her it's fine, so she takes the leash in her hands and fixes her gaze on byulyi's lovely companion.

 

after a while, wheein finds herself actually enjoying it. enjoying walking a dog for the first time. enjoying the purple evening hue over their heads. enjoying this walk with byulyi. 

 

"he's... pretty chill, i actually thought i'd be dragged around." wheein makes a remark, and for a second byulyi appears proud.

 

"oh trust me when i say he's excited. he just tends to look back to check on me." when byulyi finishes her sentence, as if on cue, janggu halts, turning his head to look up at her owner before continuing on with a spring in his small steps.

 

"janggu is so considerate isn't he? ggomo's the opposite." wheein says, giggling at janggu's excited tail.

 

"really? is he naughty?" 

 

"rather than naughty, i'd say he's self-centered. ggomo is like the cool kid who likes to be left alone. he only comes to me when he's hungry." wheein purses her lips as she thinks about all the times ggomo has ignored her. 

 

"but sometimes he can be really adorable. on some days, i'd wake up and see him sleep right by me. he has my whole heart." images of a playful, sleepy ggomo flashes in her mind then, and wheein is smiling again.

 

"huh, now i am very eager to see this little fella who's got your heart." byulyi isn't envious of ggomo, she isn't envious of how easily the cat brings a smile on wheein's face, she isn't.

 

maybe she is— sort of, but more than that, she feels relieved, grateful even to know that wheein has ggomo. she notices how the cat seems to play a huge part in wheein's happiness and serenity. janggu isn't any different for byulyi.

 

"so... you mentioned how i changed your life?"

 

"byul, please forget about it..."

 

-

 

"please come in~"

 

the smell of polished wood mixed with the lemon scented air-freshener is quick to invade her nostrils, byulyi hesitantly steps inside wheein's humble abode, clutching janggu in her arms. everywhere she looks, it's beige. there's a bunch of framed artworks lined up along the walls— some of it she recognises, it's hard to miss wheein's copy of masterpieces in their school after all.

 

the shelves which flanked the tv is full of pictures of wheein and her mother, glass ornaments and model acrylics filled the little spaces between them. it's so much like how byulyi imagined from the home of two artists. it didn't stop her from gawking everywhere she turns though. 

 

when her eyes brushed past the navy couch, she does a double take. a gasp escapes , her eyes taking in a small figure perching on top. 

 

"wheein-ah," byulyi utters softly, catching the girl's attention with the sudden whispering.

 

"is that- is that ggomo?! that thing on your couch." 

 

wheein chuckles when byulyi whisper-shouted, eyes glued to her cat she's seeing for the first time. she leaves byulyi's side despite the girl pleading for her to come back, saunters her way towards her cat which had been eyeing them with his daunting feline eyes.

 

"yes, this thing is ggomo." she caresses his smooth fur, peppering kisses on his head. ggomo doesn't give her any reactions (at least he didn't recoil), merely indifferent like how he is every other day.

 

wheein gestures for byulyi to come closer and byulyi does, slowly, janggu's looking at ggomo with a tilted head.

 

"oh my gosh, he sits like a distinguished gentleman. and his ears... they're so cute!" byulyi gushes when she regains her courage, planting herself on the couch slowly but surely.

 

"janggu-ya, say hi to ggomo!" she releases janggu, and he reluctantly inches closer to the calm feline. 

 

when ggomo seemed to have enough of janggu sniffing him, he ups and leaves, his walk filled with charisma. the comical sight produced laughter from their respective owners, with byulyi comforting janggu with hugs and kisses.

 

her time in wheein's lovely home was short lived. in the ephemeral moment though, she learned that wheein's mom makes amazing tea, ggomo's pupils dilate all the way when she waves his favourite toy, and wheein loves to take videos of her playing with ggomo. (she can't believe wheein has a piece of her in her gallery now.)

 

at the end of the day, byulyi feels so full, her heart is filled to the brim and she barely kept it together when they bade goodbye. so with janggu right by her side, looking up at her expectantly when she takes off his leash (yes, she trusts janggu this much), byulyi releases her exhilaration by sprinting happily all the way home. 

 

the duo was quite the sight to passerbys, happy noises flashing by— a young girl with an ear splitting grin etched on her face running and jumping for joy alongside her dog which shared the same glee.

 

wheein's infectious laughter is all byulyi thinks about when she gets home and looks forward to when she wakes up.

 

-

 

it's a typical school day on a wednesday for the two of them. somehow, it manages to feel like the longest day of the darn week. it happens to also be the day where her classmates are weirdly sleepy, she would feel dazed sometimes too but her hands can never resist the urge to scribble something on her notebook.

 

lunch is quiet for the most part (minus random screaming from the fields), a few of her classmates who sat in the back had their heads on their desks, dozing off. some of them who were seated in front even went as far as migrating to the back to take their naps. according to them, the atmosphere at the back is relaxing to the point where it's inevitable for them to fall asleep in the middle of lessons.

 

and then you have byulyi sitting in front of wheein (it's her trademark seat at this point), elbow propped up on her desk with her head leaning against her palm. she's trying so hard to keep her eyelids open, her arm occasionally swaying in her drowsy state. 

 

wheein watches byulyi yawn for the nth time, her lips curled up in a little smile. 

 

"you're yawning a lot today." wheein points out, voice low so as to not disrupt the torpid atmosphere in the class. 

 

she gets a grunt from byulyi, who eventually gives up and buries her head in her arms, head facing away from the window. the sunlight splashed upon byulyi's hair reveals the amber highlights she's managed to hide from the student leaders for so long. wheein reaches out to feel the silky strands within her fingers.

 

"let's just say i got carried away with gaming, forgot we had homework at like two in the morning and did it last minute." byulyi reasons, her words slurring at the last bit.

 

wheein shakes her head at that, she laughs lightly when byulyi yawns again. 

 

"you've got approximately 15 minutes before lunch ends."

 

"thanks wheein-ah, we're all dying here." byulyi mumbles, clutching her head and groaning at the thought of the next class.

 

silence reclaims its place again, all wheein hears is the soft snoring of her classmates and the muffled chatters frequently zooming past along the hallways.

 

this time, she pushes aside her notebook and decides to tease byulyi a little. if you could call gently poking byulyi's hand teasing that is, or when byulyi voluntarily releases an arm that was clutching her head and rests it on the desk, yielding to wheein's continuous poking.

 

at one point, wheein lands her finger on byulyi's palm and it flusters her when byulyi encloses her hand around her finger before opening it again. byulyi's half asleep as this point, choosing to play along her little game.

 

it continues on for a little while, until byulyi decides she's never letting wheein's finger go, liking her touch and the fluttering it caused in her stomach. wheein doesn't pull away, timidly offering her whole hand for byulyi to hold. she decides that she likes the tingles she gets when byulyi languidly plays with her fingers, choosing to bask in this tenderness that is moon byulyi. 

 

wheein's eyes soften, looking at byulyi with a certain fondness even though the girl's head never left her desk, eyes still closed as she faced the side. 

 

when byulyi intertwines their fingers little by little, wheein turns crimson from neck above. her lips quiver because she doesn't want to look like a smiling fool, but this girl in front of her is making it so hard. so she curls her toes and hides her face behind her free hand, simpering behind lithe fingers. 

 

wednesday is dreadful, long and tiring, but it might just be wheein's favourite day of the week.

 

-

 

it's a thursday, byulyi suggests spending their lunch time somewhere that's not the school's cafeteria but rather, the school's garden— where it's more secluded (because students really don't appreciate the garden enough). byulyi acknowledges that it's cliché, but it's really the only nice place in their school. wheein seems to favour the idea, that's all that mattered to her then.

 

in the midst of small talk and small bites, byulyi notices the way wheein would give slow nibbles on her sandwich, eyes looking distant as if her head was somewhere else. before byulyi could confront her about it, wheein rests her hands on her lap and turns to her with a troubled look. 

 

"don't you think i'm... weird?" wheein asks out of the blue, and it's when byulyi understands what possibly went through the girl's head.

 

"yep," she answers bluntly, even though she was aware that wheein had hoped for a different answer. but she was ready to anchor wheein right then and there with her words.

 

wheein's face falls just as she had expected (it almost kills her for playing with her crush's feelings like that), byulyi pauses to swallow her meal.

 

"the good kind of weird. why, do you not like it?" byulyi presses on, her eyes encourage wheein to speak up.

 

"well i'm really quiet at one point, and then quirky at another." wheein fidgets with her sandwich, downcast eyes trained on the ground.

 

"that's normal, all introverts are like that, no? you only open yourself up to people you're close to and talk a lot with people you like." byulyi dusts the breadcrumbs off her hands, lips curved up when she sees butterflies chasing one another over the pond.

 

"but i must say, it was pretty bold of you to slide your number in my pocket." byulyi glances at wheein with a sly glint in her eyes, mind wondering back when wheein was bold.

 

"ah why- don't remind me!" wheein whines, turning to byulyi with reddening ears and proceeds to send a barrage of light punches on her shoulder.

 

byulyi laughs out loud, drawing back from her strikes. when wheein huffs and pulls back in embarrassment, byulyi could only pat her head. she takes the time to calm down her high, mouth opening and closing because she's rather reluctant about her next words.

 

nonetheless, she speaks up, knowing full well wheein needed to hear what she has to say. the deep breath she took was enough to get wheein's attention.

 

"in all honesty, i feel like there's a small part of yourself that you still feel hesitant to show me. like you're still scared to show yourself in front of me. i'm not saying that you should unveil yourself right here and now but," a pause. byulyi swallows, raising her head to meet wheein's anxious yet gleaming eyes.

 

"maybe with due time, i'd like to experience and embrace every part of you, wheein-ah. and i hope that when the time comes, you'll be comfortable expressing all of yourself to me."

 

because i really, really like you. byulyi bites those words back, because it's not the time to be selfish. she scratches her cheek, uncertain what her words sounded like to wheein but when she sees those eyes she loves start to glisten, she becomes rigid, mind filled with panic.

 

her worry dissipates as fast as it came though, because wheein is smiling next.

 

"byul, thank you..." 

 

"are you going to cry? please don't cry..." it's a little late when byulyi says it, a tear trickles down wheein's erubescent cheek and byulyi finds herself being pulled in for a hug.

 

she's stunned at first, before exhaling a shaky breath as she returns the embrace. when they pull away, there's relief in their small smiles. byulyi clears , playing with the hem of her skirt.

 

"that aside, you should try opening up to more people. make friends you know, clear misunderstandings that you're not an ice queen. pretty sure they've seen how you are around me." byulyi gives wheein a reassuring smile, raising her fists up to her cheeks to cheer in tiny.

 

"i'll... try." wheein retorts, and it's enough for byulyi.

 

"good! because if you stick with me too much, i'm afraid you'll get tired of me." byulyi chortles, and it was meant to be a joke but it seems wheein took it a little too seriously and proceeds to give her a disapproving look.

 

"i'll never get tired of you." wheein's gaze pierces through her, her voice is firm when she says it and her lips formed a thin line.

 

just when i thought i couldn't fall harder. byulyi nods, letting her broad grin get the best of her. she figures there's really nothing to worry about.

 

"i know these things take time, but small progress is still progress. do it for yourself," byulyi slowly takes wheein's hand in hers, eyes taking in those dark brown orbs looking back at hers. "...do it for me." she gives wheein's hand a brief squeeze, hoping to soothe whatever doubts were possibly clouding wheein's head.

 

all byulyi wants is for other people to know what a great person wheein is. hell, she would boast about her crush to the whole world if she could.

 

"okay." wheein replies, tightening her hold on her hand in return. 

 

just in time, the bell sounded, signalling the end of lunch break. byulyi springs up from her seat with newfound contentment, offering a hand to wheein who gladly takes it and rises from her spot.

 

wanting to ease the little tension that lingered, byulyi playfully narrows her eyes at her. 

 

"now don't forget about me when you make new friends, alright? i'll be really sad!" she even feigns being upset, jutting her lower lip as she sags her shoulders.

 

wheein giggles, giving byulyi a playful shove.

 

"there's no one like you, how could i possibly forget about you?"

 

those words replayed in byulyi's head more than it should the entire day.

 

-

 

progress is seeing jung wheein willingly reaching out to her classmates when they're stuck at a math problem. it's seeing wheein slowly but surely presenting her sweet smile to her fascinated peers as days go by, it grows wider with every passing day. and by the time she's comfortable enough engaging in small talks with her classmates, byulyi is so certain that no soul would ever detest jung wheein.

 

sometimes, byulyi would be in her seat, looking over at wheein's desk and sees her being surrounded by her tablemates. she would sigh in content with a dumb smile drawn on her lips, happiness brewing from within.

 

of course, if not one soul could dislike jung wheein, it meant they would instead fall for her, wouldn't they?

 

"wheein is actually really sweet, isn't she?"

 

"okay maybe i'm curious what's it like being byulyi. she gets that dimpled smile directed to her everyday!"

 

"oh i might just have a tiny crush on her."

 

up until now, byulyi hadn't thought about competition.

 

"oi." byulyi throws a glare at the group whispering behind her, miffed now that she realises she feels sort of threatened.

 

it's something she couldn't help, feeling envious that someone else harbours the same feelings she has for wheein, and the thought of them possibly winning the girl's heart puts her in despair really.

 

when byulyi realises that the teacher's still in class when she firmly said that out loud, she shrinks in her seat when she feels all eyes on her, hiding her scarlet face behind her history textbook. 

 

sandeul's an , he's never letting this go. his snickering behind her is beyond annoying and byulyi makes a mental note to herself to beat the out of him for this week's track and field practice (not literally).

 

her eyes peek over her textbook, coincidentally meeting wheein's. when she smiles that adorable little smile (gosh), byulyi's annoyance vanishes like it was never there and suddenly, she forgets about her revenge on sandeul.

 

-

 

a week later, wheein ends up being friends with a chic girl in her mixed biology class, who gracefully goes by the name of ahn hyejin. who (believe it or not), after approaching wheein's desk with added sass, cooly requested to be her friend. the situation and the girl's oozing confidence was honestly hard for wheein to pass.

 

little did she know, wheein had earned herself a lifelong best friend and soulmate.

 

-

 

"you know, you guys are really obvious." hyejin speaks up this one time during their walk to biology class.

 

"...what do you mean?" wheein is genuinely confused because she said it out of nowhere and there wasn't any context about what or who she was talking about.

 

hyejin elicits a short sigh, looping her arm with wheein's.

 

"you are obvious but the lowkey kind, but my god, byulyi is like an open book. the most open in all of open books i've seen. i'm surprised she hasn't vomitted her confession all over you yet."

 

wheein feels the tips of her ears burning at the realisation!of the topic, unconsciously tightening her grip on her books against her chest.

 

"are you talking about... h-how did you-"

 

"did you not hear the part where i said you two were obvious, wheeinie? pay attention please~" hyejin grouses, tugging at her arm. now wheein would never have known this petulant side of her if they had never been friends, it was always hyejin and her intimidating presence that made wheein avoid sitting next to her at all costs (she feels sorry). 

 

now she would just gladly bear with hyejin's antics because the girl is actually a softie on the inside despite her daunting appearance. wheein lets out a short laugh, patting hyejin's hand as some form of apology.

 

"okay okay. it's just unavoidable you know? how do you not like someone who's been so kind to you and was always there for you? i don't think i'd be talking to you if it weren't for byul, hyejin-ah." 

 

hyejin is quick to nod upon her words.  

 

"understandable, she literally broke you out of your shell and her kindness is beyond celestial. which explains why she has a lot of boys and girls wrapped around her finger." hyejin side eyes wheein, only to find the girl laughing and agreeing at the fact.

 

"don't you have anyone you like?" wheein asks a second later, curiosity bubbling up within her when hyejin scrunches her nose, pondering about something.

 

"well there's actually this girl in my class-" wheein didn't even let hyejin finish her sentence, excitement twinkling in her eyes as she grabs her elbow.

 

maybe it's the fact that hyejin likes a girl that it excites wheein more than it should. 

 

"really?! what's her name?"

 

hyejin decides to toy with her, pretending to tap her chin and pause to think. wheein frowns, lips pursed when hyejin smirks playfully.

 

"her name is the letter before 'L'."

 

"...her name is 'k'?" wheein's frown deepens, doesn't recall anyone with said name in their biology class, maybe it's someone in hyejin's class instead.

 

"now add an 'e' and an 'i'."

 

"k-e-i, kei?" wheein beams when she figures it out, although she has zero idea who the student was. 

 

"congrats, you can spell."

 

"ah seriously what the..."

 

hyejin tells her how kei's cheerfulness and inquisitive nature ended up being adorable to her, and wheein is only impressed by the girl who managed to crawl her way into hyejin's heart.

 

it also happens to be the girl who suddenly crashes into hyejin for a tight hug at the end of their biology class, waving joyfully at wheein who tells them to be careful on their way back to class. she doesn't miss hyejin's pink tinted cheeks, and opts to about it some other day.

 

-

 

moon byulyi thinks that— when god made jung wheein, he didn't only sprinkle drops of talent. instead, he spilled and spilled cups of it, leaving no trace and it was how wheein obtained her all-rounder trait when she was born.

 

(when she tells sandeul this, his head smacks onto the table and he succumbs to sleep, having to deal with an earful of his best friend's constant gushing about jung wheein can get exhausting.)

 

it's seldom that wheein makes a packed meal for her. she makes one when she knows byulyi has track and field practice after school, provided she herself didn't have extra classes going on. 

 

so here she is, standing awkwardly along the corridors with hyejin giving her moral support, looking over the school field where byulyi is. 

 

"byul-ah! i think i see wheein!" was what byulyi's ears manage to catch when she sprints past a teammate.

 

at the mention of her crush, she gets a rush of adrenaline, heart picking up its pace. when she swiftly turns her head towards the corridors, she sees a familiar figure waving timidly at her. the sight of her favourite person makes her motivation skyrocket and the finishing line which seemed so far away and unreachable before suddenly became so clear and within reach.

 

and when she was expected to stop at the finish line, she didn't. rather, she continued beyond and sprinted out of the field and towards wheein who was approaching her as well. 

 

she makes a gradual stop just a few metres away from wheein, catching her breath as she rests her hands on her knees.

 

"if i hadn't known any better, you're a cheetah in disguise." 

 

byulyi feels the giddiness crawling out from within just hearing that dulcet voice of hers. when she stands upright, wheein's dimple greets her.

 

"wheein, hi." byulyi her dry lips, wiping her clammy palms against her track shorts. 

 

she earns a nod, and wheein holds out a plastic bag, a shy smile plastered on her lips.

 

"thanks, you really didn't have to do this, wheein-ah." byulyi takes the bag in hand, tries not to melt when their fingers brush. 

 

"i just wanted to. i had help from my mom." wheein mutters.

 

when byulyi takes a peek inside, she sees a couple packets of gimbap. the visuals is already mouth-watering and she's in disbelief that it was homemade. 

 

"i'd return the favour but i am really hopeless in the kitchen as you already know."

 

wheein gets a quick flashback at that, clearly recalling how byulyi told her an anecdote about when she attempted to cook for the first time.

 

"you can cook? that's amazing! the last time i tried to fry an omelette, my mom kicked me out for a good 30 minutes because it was THAT horrible. you should have seen the pity in janggu's eyes, he was looking at me from the window the whole time."

 

"of course he was." 

 

it certainly was enough for wheein to know that she will never allow byulyi in the kitchen if it was really that bad.

 

"it's fine. share it with your friends." wheein says, eyeing byulyi's teammates apparently watching them from the field. 

 

"right, share..." wheein suppresses a giggle because byulyi would always have that displeasing look when she tells her to share the food she made.

 

"i have to go now, hyejin's waiting for me." 

 

byulyi glances past wheein, seeing hyejin patiently leaning against a pillar, busy with her phone. she's so happy for wheein, relieved for having someone whom she knows would be a great friend to her.

 

"yeah, get home safe."

 

it's a little bit awkward— their farewell, byulyi doesn't know what inclined her to raise a hand for a high five but at least wheein didn't embarrass her by returning it. she lets her loose hold on wheein's hand linger for a while, ingraining the image of wheein's red cheeks in her mind, before letting go.

 

"a high five, seriously?" is what hyejin says when wheein comes walking back to her, rolling her eyes. 

 

"you should have just pulled her by collar and makeout-" wheein swiftly slaps a hand on hyejin's mouth, pushing her towards the school gate. the embarrassment is eating her up and hyejin is not helping.

 

they take a final glance back at the field, and it's not surprising anymore when they see byulyi running for her life with wheein's gimbap clutched in her arms, her friends chasing after her like a pack of hungry wolves. hani is just a hair length behind byulyi, the girl most desperate to get her hands on the delicious food.

 

"MOON, COME BACK HERE WITH THE DAMN GIMBAP!"

 

"WHEEIN'S LOVE IS MINE ONLY!"

 

the two young girls who watched with amusement could only burst into laughter.

 

-

 

wheein is casually walking along the hallways some time around noon, she's holding a small stack of worksheets which she had been instructed to submit at the teacher's office. it's when she sees byulyi in the distance, talking animatedly to a girl she sometimes sees her with. 

 

her eyes start to dart around as the distance between them start to decrease, she never really knew how to approach byulyi when she had a friend beside her. and like always, it's byulyi who gives her a heads up, greeting her with enthusiasm.

 

"wheein! hey!" leave it to byulyi to bring her in for warm hugs.

 

"hi byul, hello..." wheein trails off, byulyi's hand loosely wrapped around her shoulder is kinda of distracting. 

 

but this girl with a self-assured aura, donning a smile akin to a squirtle with chin dimples is much more distracting. wheein has seen her, and she knows her, but was never properly introduced. she feels a little intimidated, she's face to face with the school's vice student council president after all.

 

"this is yongsun, though everybody knows that. she's a senior but we're close. she helps me with english sometimes, when we're not killing each other in the library that is." byulyi titters seeing yongsun's lips twitching in annoyance.

 

the vice president ignores her, focuses on wheein and waves eagerly with that blinding smile dancing on her lips.

 

"nice to finally meet you! i'm actually byulyi's wingman-" 

 

wheein has to hold back a gasp when byulyi abruptly stomps on yongsun's foot, intercepting her mid-sentence. a shriek from yongsun and then byulyi is suddenly swarmed with attacks from her. wheein tries not to laugh because she's seen this dynamic a couple times before, somewhere in the distance you could always find the two of them at each other's throats.

 

"she meant bestie, not a wingman she definitely did not say wingman- ouch!" byulyi gets a smack on the back of her head, and yongsun's back to smiling sweetly at wheein.

 

yongsun's eyes drop to the worksheets in her hand. 

 

"ah, on your way to the office? byulyi here was just called in for dyeing her hair, rest assured this girl gets it back to jet black by next week." yongsun puts extra emphasis on the colour, giving byulyi a threatening look.

 

"anyway, i've heard a lot about you! you're so cute! why don't we hang out sometime?" yongsun's compliment was unexpected, yet wheein becomes easily flustered.

 

she's still trying to comprehend the fact that the student council's vice president wants to get to know her. just a while ago, the leader in her oozed out as she was reprimanding byulyi, and now with that captivating smile on her face, wheein finds her rather charming. 

 

(don't fret, byulyi does not have competition.)

 

"um, if that's okay with you i guess." wheein meekly says, byulyi's grinning at her from the side. 

 

"oh it's definitely okay! so are you free this friday? i know it's a national holiday but there's no harm in asking right?" yongsun claps in excitement.

 

"i am, actually." wheein replies, donning a small smile. 

 

she doesn't have plans for that day, so spending it by getting to know yongsun doesn't seem like such a bad idea. if you exclude her upcoming anxiety that is. 

 

yongsun nods firmly.

 

"what about you, are you free this friday?" she turns to byulyi next, who happily nods. she was even about to celebrate but yongsun decides to drop the bombshell on both of them.

 

"great! 'cause i'm not. you two go on without me, enjoy your date!" 

 

the next thing wheein witnesses is the vice president instantly dashing away, cackling as she waves at them. 

 

"YONG!!?? WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!" byulyi yells, she's just as pale as wheein is after what yongsun pulled. 

 

"meeting my sodamie, . bye!" and yongsun disappears behind a corner just like that.

 

there's awkward silence that surrounds them after, wheein is constantly shifting her weight and byulyi's at a loss, trying to find a way out of this predicament yongsun has put her in. what the did you just put me in, yong?! now wheein's uncomfortable!

 

she makes up her mind to steal yongsun's precious squirtle slippers once and for all. but first, she has to ease the situation at hand. byulyi releases a loud laugh so fake she's afraid she's actually losing her sanity.

 

"oh. my. god. i am so sorry about her, you can just forget about it. she's probably joking, definitely joking. did i mention how yongsun's crazy-" 

 

and she's convinced she was going to ramble on and on until the end of the day if it weren't for wheein who gently places a hand on her shoulder. she has this determined expression which byulyi can't explain.

 

"let's go." 

 

blank, byulyi is having mental block. so she tries again and inches her face closer to check if she had heard wrong.

 

"what." 

 

"let's... hang out, this friday." wheein tells her, bashful yet firm.

 

she could tell from byulyi's face how the gears inside her brain were twisting and turning, apprehending her words. when byulyi breaks out of her trance, she struggles to give an answer. so she mechanically nods, and wheein's demure smile before she walks away was the last straw.

 

if the students walking around spotted byulyi with her head against a wall, they pretend not to see.

 

-

 

should i just come up with a reason and try to escape? ity , i can't handle this i'm gonna throw up in happiness. is that even a thing? lord, do i just back out now and say i got bad diarrhoea-

 

on holidays like this, byulyi pictures herself in the comfort of her room, grinding for loot in her games. never would she have thought to stray away from that depiction today. instead, byulyi finds herself here at the train station where they had agreed to meet up (after wheein insisting because she didn't want to trouble byulyi by waiting outside her apartment), her foot anxiously tapping away at the linoleum floor as she sat.

 

the stranger beside her gives her a scowl, leaving his seat when he finds that byulyi's incessant tapping is too much to handle. byulyi gives an apologetic smile in return, before going back to being a nervous wreck. when her phone vibrates, she almost loses her hold.

 

'im here' 

 

the message reads and byulyi looks up instantly when the train comes in just in time.

 

she shoots up from her seat, biting her lips as her eyes quickly try to locate wheein among the crowd that alighted the train. it takes a couple seconds, before her eyes captured that dimpled smile slowly making her way towards her.

 

i think i'm going to cry, is byulyi's first thought when she scans wheein's lovely outfit. she's in a flowery one piece dress with an oversized denim jacket, her low cut custom sneakers is eye-catching and it's no surprise because it's artist wheein she's talking about.

 

when wheein stands a feet away, lips pulled in a tight shy smile, byulyi tries her best not to gawk shamelessly at the heavenly sight in front of her. her grip on her the strap of her camera bag is deathly, her knuckles turning white.

 

"are you okay?" wheein asks with worry when she notices byulyi's tightening grip on her bag strap.

 

byulyi releases it instantly, playing with the fabric of her pants instead. "uh yeah! i'm fine, it's just..." a scratch on her cheek. "...you're really pretty. i'm having a hard time functioning." byulyi feigns a cough.

 

wheein dips her head, tucking her hair behind her ear upon her compliment. 

 

"thank you... you look great too. charming even." wheein blurts out the truth, eyeing byulyi's pastel outfit today.

 

she's adorning a white polo tee with an off-white wool vest tucked in high waisted beige pants. wheein is blessed with the sight of byulyi in a half bun, the remaining dark brown tresses cascading down her sharp shoulders.

 

she couldn't pinpoint how good byulyi looked right then. now she just has to hold onto the hope that no girls would come swooning after the fellow handsome moon in the middle of their... date.

 

"what's in there?" wheein changes the subject smoothly, pointing at the small black bag byulyi has slung over her shoulders.

 

"oh! this... is my personal camera." byulyi s it and shows it to wheein, she scrutinises her face for any signs of discomfort, hoping wheein wouldn't mind getting her pictures taken.

 

"i like capturing memories and pretty things you know? and i hope today would be a good one..."

 

byulyi really wanted something to remember this day by, it's her first day out with her crush after all. 

 

"i heard how good of a photographer you are, so treat me well, miss moon." wheein flashes a bright smile and it was all it took for byulyi's determination for getting the perfect pictures to skyrocket.

 

-

 

the first few moments were as awkward as how a first 'date' would be. they walked side by side as if there was an invisible barrier fitting for another person. it's satire, they've always been walking shoulder to shoulder whenever they were at school. what makes it different now was that it was quality time for just the two of them, no friends to suddenly scream out their name in the hallways or constant teasing from rowdy best friends.

 

nevertheless, time is their best companion, and with it, the distance between them gradually dissolves with each place they went, conversations become bubbly and pleasant. 

 

they never really planned for a specific destination, byulyi simply suggested exploring around the local park and the districts where various cute stores and street food awaited their arrival, to which wheein merely agreed to. there was so much to check out rather than just aiming one place and then head back.

 

they first ventured out to the lower districts where the crowds were, strings of people entering and leaving stores to no end. they visit vintage shops, accessory stores and corner thrift shops. byulyi even contemplated going into workshops where they could make custom pottery, necklaces, rings and all sorts of adornments.

 

(she stops herself because she doesn't want to embarrass herself in front of jung wheein, expert of arts and crafts. maybe next time.)

 

"this is adorable!" wheein beams when they enter a merchandise store, bouncing with joy as she holds out what looked like a white rubber duck toy. 

 

it was almost the size of her hand, and wheein's eyes which twinkled with anticipation tugs at byulyi's heartstrings. so she takes another one of a different colour, yellow, and waves it in front of wheein.

 

"what do you say we match?" 

 

wheein's happy squeak and little side hug she gives her afterward is so worth it.

 

(byulyi carries out a mini photoshoot for wheein and her precious duck just outside the store later on.)

 

after they were certain they had covered almost every shop in the district, the growling of their stomachs reminded them about one of the most vital necessities in their daily lives. (they enjoyed their time together too much they've almost forgotten.) 

 

so the duo scoured the place until they entered a district lined with street food parlours where they went on and on until they blurred out in the distance. 

 

byulyi thinks the food is delicious, but she thinks it's even more delightful eating with someone you treasure.

 

someone like jung wheein.

 

by the time they've filled their stomachs, the sky turns into a mixed hue of orange and purple. the district becomes significantly brighter, bustling with all walks of life as evening arrives. 

 

before they could get separated in the increasing crowd, byulyi slips her hand in wheein's. when the girl turns to look at her, byulyi shoots her a gentle smile as she tugs at their joined hands.

 

"let's get out of here."

 

-

 

i'm beat, byulyi lets out a long sigh. they've been walking nonstop throughout the day and her heels are aching. now they're strolling around the park, where the amount of people are much more bearable than the busy district earlier. byulyi's exhausted, but then her eyes would flit to wheein who's strolling ahead— gaping at every flower she sees, and her fatigue would disappear bit by bit.

 

so much for being a track and field member, byulyi internally scoffs. at least wheein's a pleasant sight.

 

byulyi uses her ample time to look through her personal camera then, her smile growing each time she browses picture after picture she had taken. 

 

so pretty... byulyi marvels internally, a blush creeping up to her cheeks when she looks at a picture of wheein among flowers, which she took just a while ago. 

 

"please be my muse forever..." she mumbles to herself, unaware how lovestruck she sounded.

 

there were various pictures of the places they've been, pictures of herself and with wheein. but more than that, she's certain wheein has occupied most of her storage now. there was never a moment where she doesn't pick up her camera when wheein is in front of her, looking so candid and beautiful like this.

 

"wow, you take really great pictures." 

 

she hadn't notice wheein standing beside her, peering over her shoulder to look at her camera. byulyi lets out a squeak, before heaving a sigh of relief realising it's wheein. 

 

"uh well, that's because the subject is pretty so..." byulyi blurts out before thinking twice, shutting her lips tight when she hears herself. she quickly turns off her camera and keeps it safely in the bag.

 

wheein turning red with that nervous lip bite does things to byulyi. a pause, and it seemed like one of them was waiting for the other to utter something. a couple of cyclist zooms past, the broad flowery road feels almost empty with only a few people taking their time strolling. byulyi was about to open but wheein is quicker.

 

"i... let's this do this again sometime. i want to go out with you again." wheein breathes out, and it almost looked like it took all of her to say it out loud.

 

the revelation has byulyi speechless for a bit, before she breaks into a simper.

 

"funny, i was about to say the same thing." 

 

wheein turns her head to her so quick when byulyi says it, grinning. but then the smile falters, dissolving into a straight line. when byulyi sees the way wheein's lips start to tremble, she takes a step forward, wanting to ask her what was troubling her.

 

wheein interrupts her again, inhaling sharply before she meets byulyi's gaze hesitantly. her hands by her sides are balled into fists. 

 

"byul, i'm about to do something stupid. but i'm... quite confident you won't hate me for it." wheein chokes out, gulping down the nervousness overwhelming her. 

 

byulyi is beyond curious at this point, wondering what was making wheein act this way. so she patiently waits, she always will.

   

"because... even though we never said anything, i think we both knew." wheein continues, this time with a determined look in her eye.

 

"o-okay..." byulyi mutters out, equally jittery.

 

and then wheein takes a reluctant step towards her, before surging forward into her personal space and byulyi feels hands on her shoulders. she shuts her eyes in reflex, wheein's face so close to hers being the last thing she sees before she feels soft lips against her own.

 

the many times she has spent with wheein, she never once thought about how it would feel like to have their lips collide like this, molded into one. byulyi simply thought she wasn't deserving of this angel— and she would have been more than happy for this day to end after a fruitful evening stroll in the park, and then she would send wheein home safe up until her doorstep where they would wave goodbye to each other and meet again the next week in school.

 

that was how byulyi had imagined it all to go and she would be content just having spent the entire day with jung wheein.

 

but then wheein kisses her out of the blue like this, under a huge tree in the middle of their stroll, byulyi is robbed off her speech and frozen in place. 

 

her brain catches up soon enough, pressing her lips against wheein's with the same amount of softness. unknowingly, she rids off the worry which had build up in wheein as she returns the kiss.

 

wheein pulls away first, resisting the urge to surge for byulyi's lips again when she sees how byulyi still had her eyes closed, lower lip caught between her teeth as if she was internally revelling in the lingering sensation. 

 

when byulyi flutters her eyes open and looks at her through her eyelashes, wheein bites her tongue, her face red all over.

 

"um, was that okay? did you like it...?" she squeaks out, lips twitching. 

 

she was about to retract her hands from byulyi's shoulders, the girl stops her by gently grabbing her arms. the crooked smile on byulyi's face makes it so hard for wheein to hold back.

 

"i loved it." byulyi chuckles, the colour of her cheeks mirror hers. 

 

wheein's eyes instantly drops to byulyi's lips when she places her forehead against her own. 

 

"and i want to do it again but my legs feel like jelly from all this happiness inside me that i really think i'm gonna fall over if you do it one more time." byulyi admits, her laugh is warm and light.

 

"next time then."

 

"next time." 

 

then byulyi pulls away from her hold abruptly, hiding her face behind slender fingers.

 

"ugh , i'm seriously so happy i can't explain it- i'm sorry but do you mind excusing me for a bit?" there's a sheepish smile on byulyi's face, wheein merely lets her go.

 

she starts laughing uncontrollably when byulyi jogs a few metres, one second clutching her head and then later seemingly letting out a silent scream as she jumps several times, punching the air. her happy little gestures has wheein doubling over, but the best part was when byulyi suddenly went up to a tree and gave it a quick hug.

 

"i think i uh... got it all sorted out." byulyi says when she comes jogging back.

 

"you just hugged a tree." wheein states, holding in a giggle when byulyi becomes flustered all over again.

 

"i did... yes i did. i don't know why i did what i just did. oh no, are you perhaps allergic to tree bark? it's actually a thing you know. i don't have any on me, i dusted them off, see i'm all clear-"

 

wheein doesn't think twice as she reels byulyi in by the collar, crashing their lips again for the second time that evening. her method works wonders of course, effectively stopping byulyi from babbling on further.

 

this time, she leaves byulyi wide eyed as she pulls away.

 

"you really ramble a lot. it's endearing." wheein chimed, using a thumb to graze byulyi's moist lips.

 

she thinks she has officially broken byulyi when the girl starts to laugh robotically.

 

"w-wheein... please hold me, i really think i'm going to melt." byulyi whimpers, lost in her dazed state, and wheein laughs in her ears as she wraps her arms around her neck, burying her face on her shoulder.

 

byulyi didn't think the 'next time' would come so soon, but what's there to complain when wheein is hers now? the bliss engulfing her is inexplicable, all she knows is that jung wheein makes her so, so happy.

 

so byulyi tightens their embrace, lifts wheein up and spins them around, not giving a care in the world as they drown in laughter.

 

there would be many more 'next times' with jung wheein, she's sure.

 

-