Chapter Five: Under The Starry Sky

The Girl Selling Newspapers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seungwan decided to stop by the bakery that he had visited somewhere along the path. He also wants to see Joohyun’s friendly uncle inside and maybe ask him how everything is going.

He also carried the money that he had earned by selling the milk bottles. Gladly, Gyuri gave him a chance and chose to not steal all his hard-earned money as punishment.

Entering the bakery, there, he saw the baker baking and laughing with a woman inside the kitchens and a little boy playing around them with his wooden toy train.

He wondered who could the two be but then thought that the baker must’ve already have his own family. “Oh! Hello there, customer!” The baker approached him with the same friendly aura as before. But his appearance looked a little different now.

He remembered the baker being thin, his hair always combed neat and especially his fresh look even at evenings. But now, he gained some weight, he’s now wearing a chef’s hat and strands of messy hair popped out of it but his fresh look is still there. I mean, those aren’t bad at all, he was just a little surprise at his slight change of appearance.

“Want some of our garlic bread? It’s our best-seller here!” the baker showed him his newly baked garlic bread proudly out of nowhere. Seungwan gave him a small grin. “Yes, please. I loved your garlic bread.”

“Coming right up!” he chirped before rushing back to the kitchens. Seungwan sat on one of the chairs of the bakery and waited for his order, his hands clasped and rested in his lap.

“Hello,” The three-year-old boy approached him while hugging his toy train on his left arm. Seungwan isn’t really fond of kids since the kids there in the village mocked him and threw rotten food at him (yes, that happened one time) whenever he passes by their houses.

But seeing this innocent bean, he decided to silently wave back with a small smile. “Hi,” he peeped, looking down at the little boy.

“Why is dirty?” the boy innocently pointed Seungwan’s dirty feet. “Um, I don’t know,” he awkwardly answers, putting his feet under the chair so the boy wouldn’t touch it.

Seungwan never wore shoes most of his life but when Hanseol gave him some of his old pairs of slippers, it felt really strange once he wore it on and often forgets to wear them.

“Here is your order,” the baker offered him the paper bag full of freshly baked garlic bread. “You don’t need to pay,” he gave him a playful wink while slowly taking his son. Seungwan quirked his brow. “You know me?”

“Is it you? Joohyun’s friend from Cheongju?”

Seungwan slowly nodded in response with his lips pursed. “Yup! I knew it was you.” chortled the baker. “Go on, you don’t need to pay me now. Enjoy the bread,” he grinned before going back to the kitchens of his bakery. Gladly, the baker had recognized him after years of not seeing each other.

“Th-Thank you!” Seungwan smiled and left the bakery, proceeding to walk and follow the path towards the back gates.

As he walks carefully in the dark with the moon and stars as his only light source, Seungwan squinted his eyes as he looked ahead of himself, hoping that it’s the correct path. He should’ve invited Hanseol and Soonyoung instead of telling them to leave.

‘I wonder what Joohyun would look like today?’ thought Seungwan, remembering a completely vivid image of the Joohyun that he had known when he was ten.

He remembered looking into those innocent, doe-like, eyes twinkling gently every time she smiles, that adorable smile of hers that resembles a bunny and beautiful silky black hair tied into a ponytail with a white ribbon. Seungwan also admits that he liked Joohyun’s talkativeness until now. Even people around the town find the same.

How he wished he could act as confident as her. He really good at acting awkward in front of people that he doesn’t know.

Well, he has already known all of the people in his village since the village is small. Yes, he also knows the people who recently started living in Cheongju since he always heard Gyuri and her noisy friends, who screams when they talk, talking and gossiping about the new villagers coming to live in Cheongju somewhere in the front of the farm.

And the, he stopped his thoughts after realizing that he’s already right in front of the same old back gate of the main town.

He stepped inside to see the huge flower field right in front of him and also a house in the middle field, which is Joohyun’s. He took a deep breath slowly with his eyes closed, telling himself to calm down.

His hands are now a little sweaty while his jaw went tense. He doesn’t really know why exactly he’s nervous, probably because he wasn’t wearing his proper outfit and feared that maybe he would get a bad impression in their first meeting in years.

“Alright, stop that,” he sighed out loud, staring at the house sitting in the middle of the huge field. “Just go and try to just…introduce yourself. That’s all,”

After, he approached the house, his hands glued to his side in fists while his back is slightly slouched. Again, he tried to be careful on where he’s walking since the pathway in this field is tinier than the pathway towards the back gate and the fact that he could barely even see through the dark.

Well, the lanterns hanging outside the house in each side helps his sight a little, but he still couldn’t see.

Until he finally stood in front of the house, rubbing his eyes after that squinting too much in the dark. He looked to his left and saw that the flower shop’s lights are still open inside in the distance.

He shrugged, thinking that he should check the house if there is someone in here.

Now all he needs to do is knock. He raised his fist and took a few steps towards the door, his breath being held by his lungs.

When he was about to swing his fist to knock, the door opened all of a sudden and a pretty lady appeared right in front of his eyes. It’s Joohyun.

“W-Woah!” Seungwan quickly backed away from the door with his hands up slightly in surprise. Joohyun looked back at him with the same expression and opened to speak.

“S-Sorry! I seriously didn’t mean to scare you.” She said with an apologetic look. Seungwan never thought that her voice would be as beautiful as her face.

“H-Hi, hi,” he waved frantically at her with a forced smile and quickly stopped himself by scratching his nape, immediately regretting his sudden reaction. The lady gave him a look of worry, her hands still holding the doorknob behind the door. “Are you lost? Do you need help?”

“No, n-no! I-I…”Seungwan just want to dig a hole to the ground again out of embarrassment. “Wait…” She said, taking a few steps closer to Seungwan as she closed the door behind her.

Seungwan looked at the lady in the face, squinting his eyes a little more due to the lanterns’ dim light.

Her eyes were twinkling gently under the lampshade’s light and her eyebrows are furrowed, examining the him as she stared onto his soul. “Hold on, this moment seems to be familiar.” She pointed at him with her index finger.

“W-Wha…?”

“Hold on, are you Seungwan?” Her eyebrows raised after saying that. If this lady would have bunny ears, Seungwan could see those ears perk up in a cute manner.

“Y-Yeah…?”

“Oh my gosh, Seungwan!” she opened her arms and gave him a tight, warm embrace. Seungwan tripped a little after feeling most of her weight put on him, but that doesn’t bother him. He hugged her back, a small grin slowly creeping on his lips.

In all of his life, Seungwan seriously haven’t hugged girls. Or maybe, he doesn’t have friends that are girls. Little girls in his village back in the time (until now) used to believe that once they touched him, they would get married with him in the future (thanks to Gyuri for brainwashing them) and none of them liked that all.

Plus, most of the girls mocked him and his mother every time the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter