END

Distant Stars

Space stretches endlessly, filled with stars and planets and galaxies Sehun will probably never even see, much less experience. It's still breathtaking, and the route in the navicomputer is taking them into a region he's only heard about—the Unknown Territories. True, he was born in the region, but the Jedi Council sensed his birth and retrieved him as an infant. He has no memory of his family or home planet but has never felt any loss. His master has raised him like a father would his own son.

Behind him, a clone trooper monitors their progress. “We're a couple hours from the spot of the last transmission, sir,” he reports. He's a quiet man; Sehun sometimes forgets he's around, but there's no one better to have as backup.

“Report our position to command. If this is a wild chase, we'll at least help chart the area...” The clone nods, already transmitting their coordinates.

There hasn't been much of anything since leaving the Outer Rim Territories. Anyone nearby has been pirates or smugglers; their gunners blasted a ship that had intended to destroy them and salvage their ship for scrap. They typically prefer to live and let live, but Jedi are no pushovers.

Sehun secretly acknowledges a sense of satisfaction when the pirate ship exploded. Less scum to clutter space.

For as peaceful as space itself is—uncaring of the concerns of sentient beings or the aging and decaying of other organic matter—it's lawless, especially so far out. Neither the Galactic Republic nor Sepratists had any significant hold or presence.

Which is hopefully going to change. With the news of a droid foundry being built in the Unknown Territories, Sehun and his master were assigned to investigate and, if it exists, destroy it. Secondary to their main objective is forming an alliance with the people of the planet.

Glittering stars suggest a false kindness or warmth that is completely unlike the reality. Sehun slouches in the cockpit of the ship, letting the navigation computer guide them to their destination. His master is resting, meditating as he does whenever there's a lull in their lives.

Behind him, the astromech droid beeps excitedly. He's new and eager to prove himself; Sehun can appreciate the enthusiasm, but he worries about taking something so inexperienced on what could be a vital mission. “Sir,” the protocol droid drones, “incoming transmission from Senator Byun.”

“Patch it through, R3.” The little droid clicks and whistles, and after some rocking and shifting projects the hologram into the center of the cockpit.

Senator Baekhyun Byun sits in a chair Sehun recognizes. He's in his own rooms, dressed casually but beautifully, with a plain circlet encircling his head. “Greetings, Padawan Sehun...”

“Hello, Your Excellency.”

“I assume things are going well.”

“Yes, uh—” Sehun looks over his shoulder, and the senator tilts his head curiously.

“Commander Eri.” The clone stands and moves to reveal his image in the hologram. “Status report.”

“Sir.” Commander Eri nods, standing at attention. “We're within hours of the target. No new intel since the initial information about the Separatist foundry from a friendly agent.” They should have reported further findings long before. Sehun has a feeling the agent has been discovered and silenced.

“I apologize for sending you so far from the action.”

“Not at all, Senator. A break in the violence is good for my men, but we are ready for anything waiting for us.”

Senator Byun smiles at the commander, and Sehun bites the inside of his lip. “I look forward to your full report and inevitable success.”

“Your faith in our abilities gives us strength, sir.” He bows slightly and leaves the cockpit, probably to relay the senator's support to the troop on board. Of the many politicians the military works with, the Hapes representative is a favorite.

Switching to Meese Caulf, the senator addresses Sehun. “Are you sulking? You look blue.” There's an undertone of amusement in the senator's voice, teasing as well as pleasure at his bad joke. “I know it's not as exciting as Geonosis or Umbara...”

“No, it's not, and it could be nothing at all.” He can't hide the bitterness. “I think my master just wanted to get me off Corusant. He thinks the politics will 'cloud my judgment.'” Even in peacetime, politics are active and poisonous. During war, they're murderous. It's just the way things are, regardless of planet or culture.

In reality, the only thing clouding Sehun's judgment is Baekhyun.

“I visited that club we snuck out for that one time. It wasn't nearly as fun without you, but I did meet a very friendly Zeltron boy. He reminded me of you, somehow... Made me miss you even more.”

“I miss you, too.” Sehun doesn't have much to talk about aside from the missions he's been on, which the Senate is updated on, and his training, which holds little interest to anyone outside the Jedi. He's content to just listen to Baekhyun talk.

And Baekhyun likes to talk.

“I heard from Master Yoda that you're going to attempt the Jedi Trials soon.” His eyebrows fall together over his nose, the only outward sign of concern. “Are you sure you're ready?” There are nine steps of the trial: teamwork, isolation, fear, anger, betrayal, focus, instinct, forgiveness, and protection. Sehun, as well as his master, is confident in his abilities, or he'd not be given the opportunity.

Still, there is lingering anxiety at the back of his throat when he thinks about what task or trial he'll have to face. His master achieved the rank of Jedi Knight during a battle against a Sith Lord, where he defended a group of younglings as well as liberated their native city.

Sehun knows a lot is expected of him, although everyone always says he's not his master and to not rush his training.

“Your master is a great man, a great Jedi, but you are not him—”

“I'm well aware. Thank you for your concern.”

“Sehun...” Baekhyun sighs. “I don't want to see you hurt.” Or worse goes unsaid but heavily implied. “I understand your people are inherently different in biology to the standard person, and there has been nothing but praise for your rapid progress.” He shakes his head. “You are still young.”

“Too young for the trials but not—” Sehun scoffs and grimaces in annoyance. “I'm nearly ten years old, just as old as new clone troopers. I'm not a helpless youngling.”

“You never were,” the senator replies fondly. “I just worry. And nothing—” he interrupts Sehun's protests, “will change that.”

“Sehun.” Senator Byun sits taller in his seat, expression carefully neutral. It's the face he shows on the Senate floor, never betraying his personal feelings.

Sehun looks over his shoulder. “Master. I was just updating the senator on our progress.”

“Forgive my padawan, Excellency.” His hand falls on Sehun's shoulder, squeezing slightly. “He has yet to learn the formal etiquette for addressing the Senate.”

Senator Byun laughs brightly. “Not to worry, General! I enjoy our casual conversations.”

“Thank you for being so understanding. We won't take up any more of your valuable time.” He bows, and the hologram disappears.

In the silence of the cockpit, Sehun braces for a lecture and is not disappointed.

“You shouldn't bother the senator with trivialities, Sehun. Commander Eri already updated command.”

“He asked me, Master, so I told him.” He can sense both his master's uncertainty and unease and wonders how much of their conversation he overheard.

“In the future, keep it short and to the point. He is not your friend, no matter how much affection you have for the man in your childhood memories.” Attachment and possession are forbidden for Jedi; they can lead to jealousy and fear of loss and lead to the dark side of the Force.

“Forgive me, General,” the protocol droid interjects, “but amiable relationships are advantageous in diplomacy. Young Sehun is right to be congenial.”

“That may be true for a politician—not a Jedi.” The droid flinches, possibly offended at the contradiction, and doesn't reply.

“Yes, Master.” Sehun resumes control of the ship, looking into space at the distant stars and wishing he could turn around and go home.


a/n: Written for the Fourth Round of 500 Feelings: FROM THE OTHER SIDE.

I'm finally watching Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated show. It made for a good setting when I joined this fest.

Baekhyun is a Hapan male, which is probably unlikely since they're a matriarchal society. Sehun is Chiss. His master is Lorrdian in my head, but it didn't play out here.

I mention Meese Caulf because it's a trade language; few people outside the Unknown Regions speak Cheunh, the language of the Chiss.