barefoot in the wildest winter catching my death

Evermore

A spiraling blue light flies across the field where several crystallites are listening to a woman with silver hair, she looks at the light and snaps her right hand to make it disappear.

“Now, things like that will distract you easily. But once you get control of yourself and the power within you, you can banish them. Make them disappear with a snap, just like that.”

The students giggle at the jab that their teacher says to the culprit. Most of the students are teenagers age 12-15, but this is not a usual class that everyone attends to in Beatha, the capital city of The Sphere. This is where the 12 Houses and the Palace exists. The woman in silver hair instructs her students to close their eyes and feel their surroundings, try to take as much as they can to observe and absorb their surroundings before channeling it into a power.

As she walks away to let her students to relax and feel their surroundings, she rolls her eyes as she extends her right hand and after that a couple men suddenly appear out of the thin air.

“I told you, I can see you even when you try to hide, it’s useless.” she reminds them as she stands beside them while watching her students a couple feet away so that they won’t disturb the students.

“Well, no one can hide from the crystallite.” one of the men says and she chuckles, “So, what are you guys doing here disturbing my class?” she turns to the gentlemen on her left side. “Hyerin, we—” the tall guy is nudged by the other tall guy, Hyerin furrows her brows at their weird behavior.

I need your help, it should be we because you are the one who told me to go to her.” a fire comes out of the tall guy’s right hand as if he’s about to throw it at his friends.

“What kind of help? Is this the I-need-your-insight help or you-need-to-do-a-favor help?” Hyerin asks, “A little bit of both because Chanyeol here is stupid.” the guys laugh but the tall guy doesn’t seem very keen of that comment.

“What is it, Yeol?” Hyerin turns to face him as he is standing right beside her, “So, weeks ago, probably like a month ago, we’ve been going to the Otherworld frequently.” he throws glare at his friends who are definitely enjoy looking at him being all confused.

“And he met a girl,” one of the guys, Baekhyun, adds and Hyerin let out a chuckle. “When did you guys never meet a girl when you visited the Otherworld? What’s so special about this girl that made the heir from House of Fire all confused?” Hyerin asks while turning to look at her students again.

“I can hear her thoughts….”

Hyerin quickly turns back to look at Chanyeol and the rest of the guys who nod, confirming what he just says. “Not only that, I can also….. Feel her presence, not in the sensory way, but I can feel whenever she’s sad, happy, worry, even all the way from here. A universe away, Rin.” Chanyeol adds. Hyerin slightly furrows her brows at the revelation and then take a moment to think about it for a while.

“Have you asks the big 4?” she asks again, “You mean the old 4?” Kai, the one with pink-violet hair color, says. They all laugh at the remark, “No, they’ve been called up to Athens. Remember?” Baekhyun answers instead. “Ah, yeah. The meeting,” Hyerin just remembers. Every delegate from each realm gathers twice a year in Athens, the capital city of Olympus, usually it happens three months before the Spring Bloom Festival and three months after the festival ends.

“Yeah, the meeting. It’s been….. Four days and 18 hours, .” Tao looks at the sky and Hyerin laughs, “You’ve been counting?” she asks and he rolls his eyes. “Yes, because four days ago was the last time I drank a proper coffee. Some es broke the machine,” Tao looks at Kai and another guy with red hair called Sehun who shakes their head at the accusation.

“Yeah, Tao’s on caffeine withdrawal syndrome …. He hates the coffee on the cafés,” Sehun calmly says, doesn’t give much attention at Tao’s silent rage.

“I can make you some coffee but only after the class is ended. Siyeon’s away,” Hyerin says at the grumpy Tao and he nods in agreement.

“Where is she?” Kai asks while looking around, trying to sounds cool but Hyerin knows Siyeon is the reason he’s been visiting frequently.

“Away, she’s at the Astra. The festival is three months away, she needs to help the other crystallite who are going to ascend this year.” Hyerin answers as she throws Kai a look but then the guy just nods. Astra is another city in The Sphere where crystallites go to meditate and connect with The One personally before they ascend, usually those who are of age 16 go to Astra to prepare their ascendant. A crystallite will have a ritual called ascendant when they’re 16, they will be given a full control of their advanced leveled power and will be given a green light to be a mentor just like Hyerin when they’re 18.

“So, you’re going to help me, right?” Chanyeol asks the woman and she nods, “Yeah, which mean the four of you will accompany me to the Otherworld. I’m not running an errand so you have to me.” Hyerin says to them.

“No, I hate going over to the Otherworld…. Humans are…. weird.” Baekhyun groans at the request, Hyerin rolls her eyes at the complaint. “Okay then, Yeol, Baek, Kai, and Lay are coming with me.” she mocks Baekhyun who quickly throws her some looks but she sticks out her tongue at him, “Oh thank God not me. Wait, you’re going to leave me with him?” Sehun asks while pointing at Tao. Hyerin laughs at him before turning to Chen and Kyungsoo who laughs, “Don’t worry, we surely can handle them.” Chen says as he high fives with Kyungsoo beside him.

“Fine, go inside and stop disturbing my class.”

Hyerin warns them before walking back to where her students are, she looks at a boy who’s struggling controlling the power he generates in his hands. She approaches him and take control of what’s in his hands and then crouch down to match her height with him, “You have to be able to identify what kind of power you’ve generated in your hand, once you identify it, then you’ll be able to control it. No matter how big they are, it’s never scary. Open your eyes, Jun-ah.” she says and the boy opens his eyes to look at the water spiraling over her hand.

“I will take my hands off but you have to be able to take control, okay?” the boys nods and as Hyerin slowly releases her hands, the boy finally gets to control the water. He smiles at her, “Thank you Hyerin,” she nods at him and then continues to watch over the other students.

The Sphere is a realm in another universe, different with the one where normal human being lives. It is a realm where fairies, gods, and creatures with superpowers live. The universe where the human live is called the Otherworld, those who live in the Sphere know the existence of human and how they are doing but the human don’t know that The Sphere exists. Only those who are from The Sphere can access their world. Beatha is the capital city of The Sphere where 12 Houses consists of Frost, Mind, Dragon, Water, Heal, Light, Thunder, Fire, Force, Time, Space, and Air. Each house is led by a family, direct descendants of the Creators. There are 12 Creators thus there are 12 Houses, they are the founder of The Sphere who established the realm and the rules within it.

Hyerin is a crystallite, not a member of any houses but the occupants of Palace of the Crystallites where those who was born on the first week of Spring during the Spring Bloom festival live. Crystallites are special because they’re not only in control of one or two but any other power including resurrecting the deaths, a power that neither Houses own. They hold the psionic godhood superpower and deem as the chosen people from The One. They are not categorized as one of the Creators but they are sent by The One to keep the peace between the Houses.

The Sphere is one of the four realms that exist, another realm occupied by the gods and goddesses only known to human as myth is called the Olympus. There’s also the wizarding realm where magician and wizards with their magic wands live. Another realm is occupied by those who are banished by The One from the other realms, some call it the Exile as it’s a place for those who don’t live according to The One or trespass any law are being banished to before being escorted to the Underworld by Charon. They tend to wreak havocs, that’s why The One banish them. Most of those who spent time in the Exile goes straight to Tartarus in the Underworld.

Hyerin walks back to the palace made with diamonds and different kinds of crystals, everyone acknowledge that the Palace is the most beautiful place in the universe that even Aphrodite herself enjoy visiting the Palace every then and now. The crystallite greets several people that she sees on her way to the main hall where Chanyeol and the others are waiting for her.

“There she is!”

Tao excitedly says as Hyerin enters the hall, she shakes her head at him while walking to where the coffee machine is. The boys are laying around on the sofa while Baekhyun, Kai, and Chen are playing some card games. The other crystallites are used to see the children of each Houses’ Rulers come visiting and laying around as if it’s their own home. Except from the big 4 (Xiumin, Kris, Luhan, and Suho), the others are the same age as Hyerin. All of them grew up together, raised in the same upbringing. Except for Suho, Baekhyun, Chen, Kyungsoo, and Sehun who are the heir presumptive of their Houses because they have older siblings, the rest of them are the heir apparent for each Houses.

“So, how long have you been seeing this human girl?” Hyerin asks Chanyeol who sits on one of the bar stools right in front of her as she starts to make coffees for everyone, “Twice a week for 9 or 10 weeks, does that sound weird?” Chanyeol tilts his head while trying to remember how long he’s been seeing the girl they’re talking about.

“Who did you drag along to the Otherworld?” Hyerin asks again while waiting for the coffee to be done, “Of course Baekhyun, but he hates going over there so sometimes I just grab Kai or Lay without saying anything or I just head there by myself.” he shrugs. “What cover up story do you use?” she asks again, “I’m an airline pilot, I watched this whole documentary thing on pilots and stuffs to make it believable.” Hyerin chuckles as she hears the answer.

“What?”

“You are so smitten the kitten with this girl,” Hyerin says as she lets out a laugh, Chanyeol is about to protest when Hyerin moves away to take several cups and serves the coffee for them all.

“Three liters?”

Tao asks as Hyerin throws him a big bottle filled with coffee in it, “Yup, made a couple others so you can stay hydrated with the coffee until Xiu and Luhan are back.” she nods and Tao smiles. “You know I love you, right?” Hyerin throws him some cookies as he laughs at the response.

“So, you guys have met this girl before?” Hyerin asks them all and everyone nods, “Chanyeol practically grab us, out of ing nowhere, and bring us to the Otherworld. So yeah, we’ve met her.” Kyungsoo answers as he throws the culprit some looks. The tall male just laughs at the accusations, “If I ask you first, you won’t even listen to the end of my sentence. So, I just start grabbing anyone anytime I want to.” he shrugs and the others groan at his weird explanation.

“What do you think, Chen? Lay? What does it look like?” Hyerin asks them, “Well, the signs are very similar to what I feel with Aeyong... But I don’t know, it’s human, you know it never happened to any of us.” Chen says as he shakes his head. “I can’t feel anything from her, no power, no magic, trace of wizard blood, nothing. Maybe you can do better than me,” Lay adds and Hyerin nods along.

“Well, this certainly will be an interesting science project. Ready?” Hyeri turns to four other guys and Baekhyun shakes his head rapidly, “No, no….. Oh, please can’t you just take someone else? I don’t—” Hyerin chuckles as she grabs his arms and suddenly the five of them already standing in front of the portal between the two universes before Baekhyun even finished his sentence.

“Thank God, I love you.” Baekhyun mutters but Hyerin only let out a laugh as they go into the portal. In a few moments, they’re already arrived in the Otherworld, more precisely in the middle of Seoul Forest.

“Right, show me the way, sir.” Hyerin says jokingly to Chanyeol who just nods and then they all begin to follow him.

Baekhyun grumpily chewing the bubble gums he always carries with, not really fond of the human universe. Hyerin looks to her right and pinch his arm, “Look alive, Baek. Look alive,” the male snorts and looks really grumpy. “Humans are weird, slow, and….. too feely.” Baekhyun cringes at his own choice of words, Hyerin laughs as she shakes her head as she understands why he hates going to the Otherworld. Baekhyun is gifted with Emphaty by The One, it allows him to feel everyone’s feeling and emotion even when he doesn’t mean to actually use it. Although he’s been practicing to handle it, sometimes he’s still overwhelmed by humans’ emotion hence he never spends more than three hours in the Otherworld because he would arrive at The Sphere tired or extremely grumpy.

Hyerin balls up her fist and creates an invisible shield around him. Baekhyun looks at her and then smiles as a way to thank her, she just shrugs as they keep following Chanyeol who’s leading them to where the girl she needs to see is. The shield allows Baekhyun to be immune towards any other emotion and doesn’t feel overwhelmed.

“That’s the least I can do for bringing you along,” Hyerin says and he nods along as he completely agrees with her. A moment later, Chanyeol slows down and then turns to Hyerin.

“This is where she works,” he says and she nods, “Alright pilots, let’s go.” she says as Lay opens the door for them all.

They are in a café called Moonshine, it’s a modern rustic café with just enough customers in it. There are three employees consists of one cashier, one barista, and one waitress. Hyerin looks around and then turns to Chanyeol who nods towards a girl who’s talking with a couple of customers, probably just wrote their orders. The girl has a light brown hair tied in ponytail, she’s wearing a casual jeans and blouse matching with the brown apron that Hyerin assumes is the uniform in the café. The girl turns around as the cashier greets the incoming guests and then beams as she sees Chanyeol.

The tall male waves his hand at her as she walks up towards them. “Hey, you brought an entire ensemble, huh?” the girl jokes and Hyerin likes her already, “Yeah, you’ve met the boys separately but you haven’t meet her yet. This is Hyerin, our friend too.” Chanyeol introduces Hyerin to the girl and Hyerin steps forward to offer her hand.

“Hi, I’m Hyerin, a pilot too.” Kai almost chokes up on his own as soon as he hears that, “Wow, that’s so cool. I’ve never met a female pilot before. Although, definitely heard about it, yay for the women. Sorry, I’m Hana, Woo Hana. Nice to meet you,” Hyerin smiles as they shake their hands. “Likewise, Chanyeol said things about you, nice things don’t worry.” Hana raises her eyebrows at the tall male who only scratches his head at the revelation but Hyerin can feel some burning sensation around her.

“Right, you guys can sit here and I’ll get you more menu.” Hana points at the long table with sofas, the five of them settle and Hyerin looks at Chanyeol. “You know you can’t burn me,” she says half whispering, “Yeah, but that’s good enough for the tattle-telling.” he whispers back so Hyerin tilts her head and Chanyeol feels a pain in his abdomen area. Lay senses something and look at Chanyeol while Hyerin sheepishly laughs and then snaps her fingers to stop the sense manipulation on her friend.

“Oh God, why are you so powerful and mean?” Chanyeol growls but stops as Hana already walks toward their table.

“Do you need more time or should I just wait in case you need more explanation on the menu?” Hana asks while giving three more menu books, “We can just start ordering, I’m sure everything is delicious. We believe in Chanyeol’s intuition,” Baekhyun quips and the others simply laughs at the attack on Chanyeol. They order several foods and drinks as Hana tells them what she absolutely recommends for them.

“Alright then, 7 foods and 5 drinks coming up.” Hana says before going to the counter, Hyerin watches her and then turn to Chanyeol who sits right in front of her.

“She’s so pretty,” Hyerin starts and Kai nods along, “Yeah, she is, right?” Chanyeol somehow lets out a smug face. “And she’s really nice,” Baekhyun tilts his head, never imagine nice to be a word he uses to describe a human.

“Totally, you sure you stand a chance with her?” Lay looks at Chanyeol from the other end of the table and Chanyeol gasps at the huge attack, “Hey, I thought you’ll never hurt me!” Lay just laughs at Chanyeol’s fake acting as if his heart hurts.

“How did you meet anyway?” Kai asks because he’s definitely wasn’t with Chanyeol when he first met Hana. “Oh, we met at the forest. She was giving food and chatting with the rabbits, I thought that was very cute. Well, she is indeed cute.” Chanyeol puts her head on top of his arms while watching Hana chatting with her colleagues on the counter as they preparing the drinks.

The others grunt at Chanyeol because he’s totally head over heels, “She thinks you’re really pretty too,” Chanyeol says while looking at Hyerin. She raises her brows and look at Hana in the counter, “Do you read anything from her? Feel anything?” Hyerin asks Baekyun who sits right next to her. Baekhyun closes his eyes for a while, “Well, she’s definitely happy and excited to have met you. Oh….. also, very ecstatic to see Yeol.” he opens his eyes and then looks at her. “That cashier woman is the owner of this café,” Baekhyun adds that information, Hyerin raises her brows but she knows the info might be useful.

“Well, it might be more helpful if she can just sit here and you read her completely or whatever.” Kai suggests while looking at Hyerin, “Good idea, well, you owe me a bunch of foods for the upcoming weeks, Chanyeol.” the tall male quickly nods along. Hana is coming with their drinks, “Here you go, the foods might take some time.” Hana says while giving them the drinks.

“So, are you okay to sit here with us for a while? I mean, we’ve only heard so much from Chanyeol, I need to hear about you from you yourself.” Kai asks and at that moment Hyerin manipulates everyone’s mind in the café, including the cashier woman that Baekhyun said is the owner of the café, except the boys.

“Uhm, I don’t know if it’s okay while I’m work—”

“That’s okay, you can stay here with your friends and talk, it’s not too busy anyway.” the woman from the cashier comes up with four out of seven foods they ordered. Hana looks at the woman and shrugs, “Okay, fine.” she says before taking a seat right next to Chanyeol so she is sitting right in front of Hyerin. As the whole café is now under her complete control, Hyerin can use her power as much as she can. Right after Hana sit and put her arms on the table, she touches it and then begins to travel deep into the Hana’s mind.

Hyerin looks inside and scan Hana’s whole life, from the moment she was born into the world, the birth of her baby brother, the first day of school, her mother’s sickness and death, her brother’s sudden death seven years ago, her entering college, her father’s accident to his eventual death, and her meeting with Chanyeol. She tightened the grip and couldn’t find anything related to magic, fairies, wizard, gods, or any trace of power. Nothing seems to be related to the other universe where The Sphere exists.

“Rin, over here.” Kai waves her hand as he is able to teleport into one’s mind, a power he recently train hard for.

She follows Kai and they found The One talking with someone that they don’t recognize, it’s not Hana or her parents. But, The One seems mad and told that person that he’s no longer accepted in The Sphere or any realm in their universe.

“Who is that?”

Hyerin shakes her head in confusion, it’s in the depth of Hana’s mind so it might not even hers. “I need to trace her family history,” Hyerin says to Kai who nods as he also agrees with that decision.

Hyerin opens her eyes and she sees that Hana eyes are closed, something that happened to anyone whose mind is being read by others.

“So?” Baekhyun asks Hyerin and Kai who got into Hana’s mind, “Nothing but I need to trace her family history.” Hyerin says and Kai nods along at the answer.

“Back to the Sphere?” Baekhyun seems more ecstatic about it more than anyone else, Hyerin laughs at him. “Probably, but after we eat. I’m hungry as now,” the others nod along and then Hyerin snaps her fingers to Hana’s eyes are opened.

“So, are you attending college now?”

Lay asks Hana who doesn’t aware of what happened or the fact that her eyes are closed by Hyerin, Hana begins to tell them about herself including everything that Hyerin and Kai saw in her mind except the thing about The One that was buried inside her mind. Maybe it’s nothing, but no human should have a glimpse or recollection of The One inside their mind except they are connected to their universe. That is something that she needs to find out after all of this.

“So, is she the one?”

Baekhyun asks after him and Hyerin get back to The Sphere, Chanyeol and the others are still at the Otherworld to mingle around. More like Chanyeol wants to hang out more with Hana while Lay and Kai wants to check some random dancing competition on Hongdae.

“Most likely, but I need to find more answer.” Hyerin answers but Baekhyun keeps looking at her as they get back to the center of Beatha. She turns at him because she knows he’s been staring at her, “I’m fine,” she assures him but he raises his brows at her. “Your emotions say a different thing,” he says and she sighs, she should have known he can feel her emotions and feelings, there’s no point hiding things from him.

“Well, what would you feel if you were me?” Hyerin lets out a big sigh as Baekhyun pats her back, “You shouldn’t have erased it, you know that.” she looks at him with a faint smile. “You know I have to do that, besides I have no other choice.” Baekhyun looks at her with concern, Hyerin just smiles at him and hugs him to make sure she’s fine. He her hair, something that he learns as they grow together, that will calm her down.

“Well, what will you do then?” Baekhyun asks after they pull away from the hug, “I might have to go up to Firinn to find more answers, there are some memories that wasn’t hers but it’s in the depth of her mind. I need to find those before I tell him whether she’s his mate or not,” she shrugs while holding his arms.  She looks at him and then smiles, “I’ll be fine, so go home, I need to do more works at home.” she says to him but he throws her with suspicion.

“That’s what I get? Banishment?”

She laughs at his joke but assures him that she’s really okay, Baekhyun finally gives up and bids goodbye as they separate ways to their own home.

Hyerin gets back to the Palace and greeted by some crystallites she sees on her way to her study room where she gets most of her work done. The Sphere works just like normal world, there are paperwork to do, especially for Hyerin since she is the leader of the crystallites. There are a lot of things to do besides training the younger crystallites.

Hyerin closes the door and stands in the center of the room, she opens up her hands and stretch her arms in front of her chest while closing her eyes. A bright light appears and circles her as if it’s creating a shield around her, she opens her eyes and there’s someone floating in front of her.

“You’re looking for me?”

“Hi Yeri,”

The flying fairy smiles at her, “Hello too,” Yeri greets her back. “I need you to find me an information about someone,” Hyerin says and the fairy nods at the request. “Okay…? Who is it?” Yeri folds her arms, “The 13th Creator,” Hyerin answers and Yeri frowns at the request. “Well, definitely not in Tartarus then. Yay for me, but nay for having to travel deep to Elysium. He’s dead centuries ago,” Yeri sighs and tries to think the fastest way to find him.

“Yeah, I know. I’m sorry, I just need a photo of him and kind of extended list of his family record…. I know you hate talking to Minos, but I really need to know whether my intuition is right or wrong.” Yeri takes a deep breath and then nods, “I can certainly do it, yeah.” she says and Hyerin smiles.

“Right, I’ll meet you at Firinn tomorrow then.” Yeri nods to the suggestion, “Alright, fair enough. I’ll try my best,” Hyerin beams at her.

“I’m sorry for the weird request,” Yeri laughs at the apologize, “It’s my job, don’t worry about me. See ya!” Yeri smiles as she put her right hand to her chest and then disappears. Hyerin closes her eyes and then put her hands together, the magical lights disappear. She opens her eyes and exhales, she wants her intuition to be right but also scared at all the possibilities at the same time. She shakes her head to get rid of weird thoughts and decides to take a seat at her desk to look at certain documents on her desk, most of them are the planned preparation for the festival.

Hyerin leans back on her seat and opens a drawer that was locked by her own spell. She pulls out a box with Evermore written on top of it, she opens the box and takes a photo of her and Chanyeol that was taken years ago. She smiles, missing the old days of no responsibility that she has right now. As the leader of the crystallites, she has to make sure that every single crystallite is aware of their power and make a good use of it. As the most powerful creature in The Sphere, the desire to use it against others are certainly big although The One has taken off the selfish-ness in them, the desires are still there. She also has a lot of things to do with the other Houses leaders or the Rulers.

A knock is heard and she quickly put the frame in the box, back to where it is and locks it.

“Hey you,”

Hyerin beams at Siyeon who enters her room, “How was Astra?” Hyerin stands up and hugs Siyeon. “Nice, comforting, and we have the best students to ascend.” Siyeon claps her hands after they pull from the hug. “Really?” Hyerin asks and Siyeon quickly fills her in with all the experiences she got while escorting younger crystallites who are going to ascend in three months’ time.

“I heard you went to the Otherworld? What were you doing?”

Siyeon asks after she ends her story, Hyerin chuckles, “Yeah, Chanyeol needs a help with a girl. He said he can hear her thoughts and feel her emotions, even all the way from here.” she answers while pouring a cup of tea for both of them.

“What? In the Otherworld?”

Siyeon is confused with the answer but Hyerin nods to her question as a respond. “Ho—Wh—Huh?” Siyeon takes the cup of tea from Hyerin and then sits on the sofa in her room in confusion.

“That’s why I need to go to Firinn tomorrow, I need to look for answers and I already asked Yeri to find more information.” Hyerin shrugs while taking a sip of her tea.

“Okay, but Firinn? You should be looking for answers at Freagairt not Firinn,” Siyeon raises her brows at Hyerin, the other female sighs before taking another sip and puts her cup on the coffee table.

“Yeah, but I don’t even know what kind of question I should be asking at Freagairt. I should find the truth first before asking any questions,”

Siyeon looks at Hyerin and tries to read her, the latter definitely knows that but she smiles as she understands the worries. “I’m fine,” Hyerin put her hand over Siyeon’s and the younger female just sighs, “Be careful, the truth could be hurtful.” Siyeon says and the other female just nods along. Hyerin knows it might be hurtful for her, that it is scary if her intuition turns out to be true. But it’s her job and she have to help her friend.

Chanyeol is pacing around his garden while Tao and Chen groaning, “Can you stop pacing around? It’s killing me,” Tao grunts. Chanyeol throws him looks but then continues to paces around, Hyerin has been in Firinn for two days and there’s still no sign from her. Tao is so annoyed that he freezes Chanyeol in space with his left hand, “So annoying,” Tao shakes his head and continues to lay down on the grass. Chen stops reading his book to look at Chanyeol who’s looking at him for help but he shakes his head, “Temporal imprisonment, not my thing.” he continues to read his book. Tao closes his eyes to feel the sunlight and doesn’t do anything to help Chanyeol.

“What the hell is going on here?”

Kai and Sehun come with chips and other snacks in their hand, they look at Chanyeol who is imprisoned by Tao in the air.

“He won’t stop pacing around so I freeze him, imprison actually. You guys got the sweet potatoes?”

Kai raises his brows at the answer but Sehun doesn’t really care and nods to Tao answer while throwing him a bag of sweet potatoes.

They are hanging out in Chanyeol’s place because the owner insists them to, he won’t go anywhere because they haven’t heard from Hyerin yet and waiting is certainly not his virtue. Siyeon doesn’t say anything because Hyerin didn’t tell her that much. Instead, she suggests that they all wait for her patiently. Chanyeol wants to know the answer soon so he knows what to do the next time he’s seeing Hana. He always feels comfortable hearing Hyerin’s suggestion and solutions, she’s been his confidante since forever.

“So, he is annoying you, huh?”

Lay says when he appears with Kyungsoo and Baekhyun, they see Chanyeol in the air and can’t help but laughing at the imprisoned male. Tao simply shrugs while keep eating his snack. Kyungsoo keep staring at Chanyeol but completely ignore the glare from the latter, “Yeah, you better stay there.” he simply says before taking a seat right next to Lay.

Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol and then laughs at him before taking a seat on the grass with the others. They are busy sharing snacks and laughing when Hyerin comes out of nowhere.

“Good God, what happened?”

Hyerin can’t help but cracks up the moment she sees Chanyeol in the air, “Tao,” she tilts her head at the preparator on the grass. Tao rolls his eyes and then point at Chanyeol to release him.

“YOU!”

Chanyeol charges at Tao but holds back by Kai, “You must be pacing around, you know Tao hates that.” Hyerin shakes her head at the scene while joining the other guys sitting on the grass. They look at her because she’s acting as if there’s nothing happen or she doesn’t withhold some information from them.

“Lady, speak?”

Kyungsoo looks at her seriously as if she just stole something and comes to tell the stories, Hyerin throws him some looks while taking some chips from Kai’s grip. “At least let the lady eat, the food in Firinn and Freagairt aren’t exactly edible or digestible if that even a word.” Kai let her to take his whole bag of chip and opens another bag for himself.

“So, I went down to Firinn to find if my intuition is right or not. First off, you guys are the children of the Rulers, there’s no way The One will let your mate to be not a pure-blooded realm member. You do know there was a 13th Creator, right?” the boys nod to the question, “The most weird and vague chapter of The Sphere’s History back when we’re nine,” Hyerin nods to what Lay says.

“The 13th Creator was banished from The Sphere but not to Exile, well, since no one tell us where he was banned or why he was banned, we never know. But apparently he was banished to the Otherworld and only got his power taken away.” Hyerin explains while reaching for more chips inside the bag.

“Why was he banished?” Chen asks, no one at the Academy teach them about the reason or how the 13th Creator was banished. But no one really questions it, it is a weird chapter of The Sphere’s History that remains as a mystery even after thousands of years.

“He used his power on the Otherworld, sort of making money with it, human money. You know the rule, no magic or spell casting was permitted in the Otherworld for your own benefit and stashing human money for your own goods. He broke that, using it as a tool for fame. So, The One banished him from The Sphere and block any way back for him, abolishing the 13th House and spread the members to different Houses. Do you know why it’s called the House of Dragon, House of Force, and the House of Space? Unlike the rest of you who are bestowed with two powers and gifted with one on each of your 15th birthday, Kris, Kyungsoo, and Kai wasn’t gifted with any power but bestowed with three powers since the beginning.” Kyungsoo and Kai look at each other.

“The 13th House was the House of Earth, not the planet, but of earth things. After the abolishment, the members who has developed nature manipulation was granted to be in the House of Force. Back then, your House was only made of people with tremendous power and very great at utilizing supernatural combats. That’s why the next generation of your House can also grow the plants, make a rock out of anything, sometimes changes the weather.” Hyerin looks at Kyungsoo who’s listening intensely. Then she turns to Kai, “Some of those members who manage to master spatial manipulation went to your house. Before that, your House is only filled with people who can teleport and goes into others’ dreams. That’s why you can master the spatial manipulation easily,” she explains and Kai raises his brows as he clearly wasn’t expect this information.

“House of Dragon was only filled with people who can take the dragon physiology and combat, but now they can also walk on the water, levitate even though they’re not from House of Air, and fuse the flight manipulation with physical combat.” Hyerin continues to explain, “They merge the powers so they are bestowed with these powers naturally by The One, not given a special one.” Baekhyun concludes and Hyerin nods to that.

“After he was banished to the Otherworld, well he got married and stayed there. But the thing about his descendants is they never have more than one child.” Hyerin says and Chanyeol frowns at the explanation, “What do you mean?” he asks and Hyerin takes a deep breath. “In order to punish the 13th Creator and his descendants, The One made sure that only one child can live at the same period of time as the parents. Hana told you about her mother’s sickness and death, her younger brother’s sudden death seven years ago, and her father’s accident that led to his eventual death?” Chanyeol nods to the question.

“I don’t know what kind of deal the Creator had with The One that made him allowed to enter the Elysium even after he was banished but Hana wasn’t supposed to live. Usually, after a son was born from the Creator’s descendant, the daughter will die or no child will be born. To keep the lineage of the magic even though it’s too weak that none of us can sense it.” Hyerin says and everyone starts to think about it.

“So, the memories that was deep in her mind is actually from the 13th Creator?” Hyerin nods as a response to Kai’s question, “That memories are left there so anyone who can enter her mind, us, can find her.” Hyerin explains more further. “Find her?” Tao furrows his brows at the wording that Hyerin chose, she stands up from her seat and look at Chanyeol.

“She’s your mate,”

Chanyeol’s eyes widen and he doesn’t move as if Tao freezes him, “The One wants us to find her so you can get her from the Otherworld and take her here.” she adds. Chanyeol opens his mouth to say something but none comes out of his mouth, instead he walks up to her and pulls her for a huge hug.

“Thank you,” he says and she smiled, “So, you better court her or you won’t be getting to Elysium after you die.” she says during the hug and he laughs. “You don’t need to stop seeing her, she’s your mate.” Hyerin says again after he pulls out of the hug.

“Alright, I’ll….. I’ll just…. See you guys!”

Chanyeol quickly leaves them all, “Nice to hear she’s not a pure human,” Sehun murmurs as he keeps eating. Hyerin exhales quite loudly but then goes back to sit to continue eating with the guys.

Baekhyun looks at her and tilts his head, “You’re hiding something aren’t you.” he suddenly speaks with a low tone. Everyone stops eating and then turns to Baekhyun who’s looking at Hyerin, “What do you mean?” Hyerin chuckles at the accusation but Baekhyun keeps looking at her. She knows she can’t lie at him. She stops eating her chips and everyone’s eyes widen, it’s true.

“Hana became his mate seven years ago, right? She wasn’t supposed to live but you made her alive, her brother died around the same time you erased Chanyeol’s memory.”

Baekhyun continues talking and Hyerin looks down, doesn’t want him to expose everything for her. It’s supposed to be hidden, it’s the string that she needs to hide from Chanyeol. Hyerin erased his memories for a purpose, not because she doesn’t love him enough. She needs to do her job, she has to. It’s her destiny, something that she has to do since her arrival to the world. The life purpose of a crystallite.

“Remember the Neo Attack?” she asks them all, “Who doesn’t?” Kyungsoo murmurs. “Yeah, especially us, crystallites. They killed our parents,” Hyerin closes her eyes, promises to herself she won’t cry anymore when talking about the attack. “There were 23 of them, not 22. One of them escaped to the Otherworld, I don’t know why or how. When I erased Chanyeol’s memories so that he won’t ended up in Mourning Fields, The One put a stamp on her and made her his mate. So, when the 23rd member of the Neo found her and detects her ancestry—”

“Chanyeol will rush to her and we will help him to fight that Neo.” Chen deduces and Hyerin nods, “She’s a bait and a mate.” she concludes. Everyone keeps silent about the revelation, definitely not expecting such a complicated circumstance surrounding Chanyeol’s mate. Kyungsoo closes his eyes and thinks for a while, tries to rearrange the information in his head.

“And you’re not telling him because?”

Kyungsoo looks at Hyerin for more explanation, “Because he doesn’t need to know that he’s my protégé and found out about the memories.” her voice breaks at the end and Baekhyun can feel her sadness. He pulls her head to rest on his shoulder and calm her while the others can only sigh, they know they can’t do anything to change it.

It’s been a couple weeks since Hyerin tells everything about Hana to Chanyeol and the others about, he’s been frequently going to the Otherworld. His sister complains about his unfinished works left for her that she even goes to the Otherworld to bring him back and finish them. Xiumin, Luhan, Kris, and Suho are back from the Athens a week after Hyerin back from Freagairt. Lay and Baekhyun get the Big 4 up to speed to what they’ve known the moment they’re back to the Sphere. Xiumin being the oldest and actually one of the closest to Hyerin rushes to see her after he hears everything.

“Are you sure this is okay?”

Baekhyun who comes along to see Hyerin can only sighs when he hears Xiumin asks her that question, “I’ve seen millions of possibilities and this is one of those possibility when he’ll be happy, you know why I couldn’t tell him. It’s my duty,”

Xiumin sighs as he leans back to the sofa, Hyerin chuckles softly at his frustration. Out of the boys, Xiumin is probably the one who Hyerin truly feels like an older brother. He’s always calm and composed, rarely uses his emotion to finish something and always manage to resolve any problems with clear head. She would go to him with any problem in her mind or any question that she thinks he might know the answer. She looks at Baekhyun who sits right beside Xiumin, he’s leaning on the sofa with his face looking at the ceiling, something that he does a lot when he’s thinking about something. Baekhyun has always been caring, he gives her more attention even sometimes she’s the only one he gives his attention to especially after she erased Chanyeol’s memories. She knows his feelings but she knows she would never be able to reciprocate him the same way that he feels and he knows that too.

“If you need to talk, you can always find me. You know that right? Well, that Athens meeting did take up a long time to finish. I missed a lot of things because of that meeting,” Xiumin shakes his head as he remembers the Athens meeting that his parents want him to take part in. Hyerin laughs at his grumbles but then asks him about the meeting because Xiumin always love to tell stories especially about something he takes part in. He’s always been a great storyteller.

It’s already past midnight but the three of them still talking and laughing in Hyerin’s room, mostly Xiumin and her, because Baekhyun keeps silent most of the time. He only gives a short answer or lets out a dry laugh whenever Xiumin tells a joke. They keep talking until Xiumin calls it’s too late and he needs to be back to look after his seven months old daughter.

“Yeah, Hyejin went ballistic when I’m gone so I’m making up for all the shifts. Gosh, that little one is pissed off all the time. I don’t remember Minjae being that cranky,” Xiumin shakes his head at the thoughts of his newborn daughter, Hyerin laughs as she reminds him that Minjae is a son so it might be different type of nursing that he needs to do to his daughter. Xiumin takes a glance at Baekhyun who still sitting on the sofa and gives Hyerin a look, she nods at him before bids him goodbye. She shuts the door and turns to look at Baekhyun, the man still looking at the ceiling.

“You know it is an interesting ceiling,”

Hyerin comments and Baekhyun laughs at the witty remark. He takes his eyes off from the ceilings to straighten his back. He looks at her straight in her eyes, Hyerin still leaning on her door as she puts her arms together.

“Promise me you won’t do anything stupid that will cost your life.”

Hyerin furrows her brows at his request, she’s looking for a sign that he’s joking but serious expression is all she can see all over his face. He’s always been this worried. She smiles softly at him and walks towards him, then she takes a seat right to him. Baekhyun turns to her, waiting for her answer. “I can’t promise you that but I promise I will take care of myself.” she says while looking at him straight in his eyes to tell him that she’s not lying.

“You know I love you, right?”

Hyerin chuckles at the sentence, unlike how the guys would say it to her, she knows his feelings towards her. “And you know I love you too but in a different way, right?” she holds his hands, the man softly laughs. “I will still and always confide in you, I trust you and Xiumin the most, you know that. So, don’t worry about me because I’m just doing my job. You can’t bend the destiny, this is how it has to be done.” She assures him and he nods along.

They keep holding hands for a while, not saying anything but just appreciating each other’s presence. For Hyerin, Baekhyun always have this warm and bright area that makes her comfortable to confide in him.  Although he knows that she doesn’t feel the same way as him, he wants to be around her to take care of her. He cares about her that much, Hyerin told him that it might be a sibling bond that attracts him to her and that he’ll fine his own mate very soon.

“It’s not me and I couldn’t tell you,”

That’s what Hyerin always say to him then both would end up laughing together.

Baekhyun bids her good night (good morning actually because he leaves her room a little after three in the morning) to go home and Hyerin jokingly says that he should have stayed if he’s going to come again in the morning with the guys.  

“Don’t play with an innocent man’s heart, darling.”

His wittiness still there even though his eyes are already heavy due to the sleepiness.

“You got to be kidding me,”

Hyerin rolls her eyes when she sees Baekhyun, Kai, and Sehun lingering around the Palace’s hall. She just wakes up from her sleep and is heading to the dining hall to have some breakfast, she looks at Baekhyun who smiles innocently as if he doesn’t do anything weird.

“Morning sunshine,”

“Seriously? Are you guys unemployed or what? Because I can give you some jobs if you like to,”

Hyerin asks them but then keeps walking to the dining hall followed by the other three, “Oh, spare me from jobs. I’ve been up since dawn because my neighbor apparently become a morning person and harass me in my own room.” Sehun groans while keep yawning. His neighbor is Chanyeol as their house is right next to each other.

“What was he doing early in the morning?” Hyerin asks as she takes a turn, entering a large hall where most of the crystallites having their breakfast, “Working? I don’t know but he is loud,” Sehun shrugs as he keeps rubbing his eyes. Hyerin understand because he has the enhanced hearing so sometimes people would think Sehun is on a bad mood but he’s just annoyed by the noises. Same like Baekhyun, he clearly dislikes going to the Otherworld because it’s too loud for him.

“I know why you’re here, but you?”

Kai just laughs it off because she clearly knows he’s there to see Siyeon. Hyerin turns to Baekhyun who takes a seat right next to her on one of the tables, “Oh come on, can’t a friend visit his friend?” Baekhyun quips.

“It’s nine in the morning, as far as I know you have works too unless Baekbeom takes all of your jobs while you play round.” Hyerin gives him an accusing look but the man just laughs it out, “I’ve been up since six, probably, I don’t know. Besides, I don’t have to teach classes like you or standing in a meeting for my father like Baekbeom. I’m a free man,” he smiles brightly as if he doesn’t have a care to the world.

Hyerin just laughs at him but then let the three to hang out because just like what Baekhyun said, unlike her, they don’t have classes to teach because they’re not the most senior member of their House so they’d spent their days trying to take Hyerin out or simply creating little chaos during her classes. Hyerin doesn’t mind and honestly it feels good to have them around because then she can be herself, just another creature in The Sphere with no huge responsibility.

“Anyway, Chanyeol has been out a lot. By I mean a lot is, awfully a lot.”

Kai says in the middle of their conversation, “Oh yeah, he almost grabs me and take me yesterday but I am smart enough to blow him away even before he could grab me. How the hell he doesn’t get it that I hate going to the Otherworld?” Sehun shakes his head in annoyance because Chanyeol manages to take him to the Otherworld last week and he still trying to recover from the loud sound of the night club. When the guys ask him why the hell Chanyeol would go there, apparently Hana hasn’t been to one and being a gentleman he is, Chanyeol wants her to go there with him (‘because she’d have to leave the Otherworld and our night club is definitely different with the one on the Otherworld’ is Chanyeol’s closing statement).

“Let him, it’s better if he brings her to the Sphere before the Festival. There’s a lot I need to do for her,” Hyerin comments but Sehun and Baekhyun groans at it, “It would be better if he stops grabbing us out of nowhere, he’s a big guy, he could go there by himself. Oh, and we have to make this scenario to see Hana. Gosh, I swear if I could get paid every time we come up with a scenario to lie to Hana, I would be a ing millionaire.” Hyerin laughs at Baekhyun’s complain.

“Hey you,”

Siyeon greets them all before taking a seat right next to Kai, “You changed your hair color?” Kai looks at her bright blonde and the girl laughs. “Yeah, bored so I dyed it this morning. Don’t you guys have work to do? What are you doing at nine in the morning here?” Siyeon looks at the guys who quickly looks away at the question.

“I know right??”

Hyerin shakes her head, agreeing to what Siyeon is thinking. Siyeon is mixing her breakfast while looking at the three guys who apparently got a plate of breakfast for their own.

“All you do during the day is create a tornado in the middle of nowhere, bend the light particles so somehow my students are in the middle of a galaxy, or move across the class taking the focus off them. Seriously, does not being an heir means you don’t have a job? Except you, sir.”

Siyeon nudges Kai at the end of her sentence before looking at Sehun and Baekhyun too because they’re the regular chaos in the class. One time Kai teleported the whole class to his garden out of nowhere. The three just laugh it while eating their meal, “We do have jobs, honey. But not as tough as yours, mine might be heavier than these two though.” Kai points at Baekhyun and Sehun with his fork. “Well, I won’t deny that. But as much as I love spending time with you, I do have class to teach in a minute. See you,” Hyerin stands up from her seat as she already finished her breakfast.

Baekhyun stares at her until she disappears, “You know your stare could drill a hole all the way back to your house?” Sehun quips as he puts his plates away after finishing his meal. Baekhyun looks at the male in front of him with soured expression but then continues to eat his food, “So, you’ve heard about this girl from the Otherworld?” Baekhyun looks at Siyeon. She’s wiping and then stops after hearing the question.

“Yeah, she told me to handle her classes while she’s in Firinn and you know me. I won’t do a ‘no-question-asked’ unless I have a ‘no-question-asked’ debt towards you.” Siyeon shrugs as she gives the plate to a crystallite who come to collects the dirty plates from each table.

“Does she tell you what she’s going to do?” Sehun asks too but the woman shakes her head, “No, and that’s what I’m most afraid of. You know she’d do anything because it is her job but that’s not the only reason.” Siyeon sighs, as someone who grows up with Hyerin, she knows her so well. Siyeon knows the latter’s inside out so she knows what kind of extend Hyerin would do to protect him.

“When she told me that she’s going to rewrite their relationship from his memory seven years ago, I couldn’t believe she’d go to that extend but she did.  Now this, I don’t know what she’d do for him or them.” SIyeon remembers that day clearly and how she begs Hyerin not to do it.

“You can’t read her mind or see what she’d do?” Siyeon shakes her head to Kai’s question, “She managed to build a shield whenever I’m around. I think that’s how crystallites work, we build mind shield whenever we’re around each other because we don’t need someone else to tell us what would happen to us when we already know or sense it in any way.” she explains.

“Sense what?”

They all turn to see Chanyeol approaching them, “Nope, nothing. Just some festival thing, what’s up?” Kai quickly brushes it off and luckily the tall male seems to feed off it.

“Where’s Hyerin? I need to speak to her,” Chanyeol looks around, “She’s teaching now, you can find her in the indoor classroom. I believe it’s the mental manipulation class today,” Siyeon tries to remember the class that Hyerin is currently teaching.

“Alright, thanks.”

“Wait, aren’t you supposed to be in the Otherworld or something? And what the hell were you doing early in the morning?”

Sehun stops him from leaving to find Hyerin, Chanyeol takes a long pause before deciding to take a seat right next to Baekhyun.

“I was in the Otherworld but come back because Hana still asleep and she’s too tired so I don’t want to wake her up or being a creepy stalker watching her sleep. For the second question, I spent the whole night in the library to find something about resurrecting or awakening a power from someone. If Hana still a direct descendant from the 13th Creator, then there must be a way for her power to be awaken. I was looking for that and I remember a certain someone who does have the ability to find out about it.”

“You do know we’re not Google, you can’t ask us everything and demands answers all the time.” Siyeon furrows her brows at Chanyeol but he just chuckles at the remark.

“Well, I should try or I’ll never know. Right?” Chanyeol being someone who’s always positive says and the other four can’t help but agree because it does make sense.

“Next time don’t throw the books or make any loud noises. I can’t sleep at all so you owe me a lot,” Sehun points at the tall male who just laughs it off before apologizing.

“So, you’ll bring Hana here? To the Sphere?” Baekhyun asks Chanyeol who nods to the question, “Yeah, I think it will be safer for her too, you know. I also think she deserves to know where she actually came from.” he adds. He is determined to take Hana to the Sphere and tells her everything that he knows about her from Hyerin. He already talks about it to his sister and parents, they all seems pretty excited to know that he already found his mate although he didn’t tell his parents about the 13th Creator’s descendant part but his sister knows already. She’s definitely curious and wants to find out more but he told her he’ll tell her when he has more information. After talking for a couple more minutes, they finally let Chanyeol to go find Hyerin as Siyeon excuses herself to teach a class.

The classes at the Palace starts a little after nine and ended at noon, each class teach the younger crystallites to control their power and focus on what they want to do. As they are born with immense power, the older crystallites are responsible to teach them to control and practice their power to make sure that they won’t hurt themselves or others. Chanyeol walks through the rooms, passing the fountain in the middle of the Palace. They all used to mess around the fountain because somehow the water is sweet and shimmering, people say it’s a gift by Aphrodite when she was visiting The Sphere for the first time. No one knows the source of the fountain and it keeps flowing, during the Spring Bloom Festival the water will change to a pinkish color to commemorate the newborns Crystallites.

Chanyeol smiles at the reminisces of their childhood, they don’t really have a lot of work or responsibility back then. He walks past the fountain, keeps walking across the hall of another building and finds Hyerin in a class with a dozen of students. The students are listening closely to what she’s saying. When she claps her hands, the students are facing each other and keep staring at each other. She takes a glance at Chanyeol before telling her students to work on what she’s talking about. She leaves the classroom and gestures the tall male to follow her.

“So, I was reading—Actually, more like ransacking and searching the library, for any clues or source to wake a power hidden in someone.”

Hyerin nods to what he’s saying, waiting for him to finish his story and the reason why he’s coming to see her now.

“But, as I suspected, I found none about it. it’s never happened before, do you think we can recall the power hidden within her? I mean, I know it’s been centuries but there must be a way, right? After all, she’s a direct descendant from the 13th Creator, like you said.” Chanyeol looks at her and she smiles, “I know, you must have been thinking about it. But that doesn’t mean you can make Sehun wakes up early in the morning and haunting my dining hall.” he laughs at her half-joking-half-reprimanding remark.

“Certainly, there must be a way. That’s why…. I think you need to take her here so I can find out what I’ll be able to do.”

“You’d do that?”

Hyerin smiles as she nods at him, Chanyeol seems very enthusiastic hearing her respond. She can’t help but laughs at his reaction, he’s certainly excited to bring his mate to the Sphere and show her to his parents. Whenever someone found their mate, it’s a huge celebration especially for the heirs of the Houses like Chanyeol and the others. Xiumin was the first one to find his mate seven years ago and his parents throw a huge celebration, they are blessed with a son a year after that, now he’s a father of two. Chanyeol then tells her about how he’s going to tell Hana and get her to the Sphere, to get acquittanced with their world. It is important too for Hyerin to be able to see-through Hana and see how she could recall the powers that was locked away since the 13th Creator was banished to the Otherworld.

“You know I have a lot of debt towards you?”

Hyerin furrows her brows at his sentence, he leans on the pillar while looking at her. His dimples show as his mouth curves a smile, “You always help me and… I don’t know, I just feel like I have so much debt towards you.” Hyerin just smiles at him while looking at the flowers in front of them. The flowers haven’t bloom yet but they’re already glowing as it is getting near to the festival.

“Don’t think about it, you never have a debt towards me.” she puts her hand on top of him and he smiles back, “Well, I hope you’ll find your mate soon. You guys do have mates, right?” Chanyeol asks and she just laughs at the question.

“Yes, but I don’t think it’s important right now. Well, at least for me. I have a lot of things to do, I still don’t have time to find them.” Hyerin shrugs at the thought of finding her mate. For crystallites, it is trickier because they are naturally be able to hear others’ thoughts and sense them all. They have to go to the Sea of Fate and find out about it. Siyeon has been to one, she definitely has found her mate. Chanyeol frowns at the answer, “But aren’t you curious to see who’s the one? Or have you found him? Is it Baekhyun?” Hyerin turns to him and confused with the question.

“What makes you think he is my mate?” she laughs at the question, “I don’t know, he sems very attached and affectionate towards you. I mean, we all do, but it feels different between the two of you.” Chanyeol scratches his head. Something that he’d do whenever he’s confused to describe something. Hyerin just shakes her head, “Nope, it’s not me and I definitely can’t tell who’s his mate is.” he laughs too. They keep talking for a while before he bids her goodbye as he’s about to leave and see Hana in the Otherworld. Hyerin waves at him who quickly walks away, excited with the plan they have. Hyerin let out a sigh, trying not to be affected but how could she not when she has to watch her first love so excited to see his mate.

First love.

Two funny words that Hyerin thought only work for human in the Otherworld. But Chanyeol definitely changes her mind about it, she’s surely very close and loves the boys but her feelings towards him was different. So did his feelings towards her.

Did.

“It’s not even dinner yet, but you’re out here drinking?”

Hyerin chuckles, hearing Baekhyun’s voice from behind. She turns around to see him walking towards her. He stands right beside her on the balcony, overlooking the rest of Beatha. He looks around her and sees two empty bottles with a third one already opened. Hyerin is waiting for his scolding or funny guesses on why she’s out there drinking alone. Instead, he takes another glass and pour one for himself, she throws him a look but he just smiles before joining her back to look at the city with its inhabitant busy preparing dinner and getting ready to call it a day.

“Although the view is breathtaking, still. Heartbreak drinking?”

Hyerin laughs at his question, he does have his own way to turn anything into a joke. Baekhyun smiles as he drinks along, “Stop staking me in my own home,” she nods her glass at him but he just shakes his head. “Well, I’ve been seeing you a lot out here by yourself, all the way from my home for the past month.” he puts his glass on the railing to folds his arms while still looking at the scenery.

“Probably just…. stressed by the festival’s preparation, you know. There’s a lot of things to do,” Hyerin shrugs as if it’s nothing but he clearly doesn’t take that answer, “You’ve been doing this for seven years,” he refutes her silly reason.

“Yeah, but this one is different. There’s a lot more to do than the usual,”

Both of them don’t say anything afterwards, just enjoying each other’s company and the merlot in their glass. Baekhyun does sense that this year’s festival is definitely different but he doesn’t know how. He takes a glance at her but he can’t read anything from her, just like what Siyeon said. Usually, it is easy for him to sense whatever she’s thinking but for a past couple of weeks, it’s hard to make out what she’s thinking or feeling. There’s a lot in her mind, but Hyerin knows it’s not up for discussion with others. It’s something that she needs to solve by herself.

“You know, problems are much easier to solve when you ask other’s opinion.” Baekhyun quips to break the silence.

“What should I ask when I myself don’t even know what the problem is?” Hyerin drinks up her merlot before refilling it again for the hundredth time, she has been spending hours drinking alone out there to calm herself down.

The guy beside her lets out a chuckle at her answer, classic Hyerin answer. He takes his glass and turns around so his back is leaning towards the railing while looking inside.

“The problem is you kept so much from us, from me. So, you don’t know where to start and how to ask. Not gonna blame you because that’s normal for you, Crystallites, it’s like a…. hereditary trait.  When the Elders went for the war seven years ago, none of the Rulers know what is happening until the Edelweiss sent their messages. To take care the rest of you and help you, as the eldest in the Palace, to get through it all. To lead the other crystallites, train and protect them. I don’t—”

Baekhyun stops talking because his voice breaks in the middle, Hyerin looks down because she clearly knows what he’s talking about and what he’s going to say next.

“I don’t want it to happen again, I don’t want to lose you.”

“Some things are meant to be lost while some aren’t even ours to lose,”

“I know, but still, you can’t blame feelings.”

Both giggles at the same time, she shakes her head as she turns to look at him. He smiles at her before drinking the rest of his drink, “By the way, Kai and Siyeon are on their way to see you.” he says while refilling his glass. Hyerin raises her brows at him and he nods to confirm it, “They do know that I know, right?” she folds her arms with her left hand still holding her half-filed glass.

“They should be, there they are.” Baekhyun points at the couple walking from outside to enter the Palace, Siyeon looks up and waves at the two above.

“Oh, they’re cute.” Hyerin croons at the couple, Baekhyun laughs as he tags her along to see the two.

Kai and Siyeon walks hand in hand as they’re approaching Hyerin’s room, “Well, well. Isn’t this lovely?” Hyerin comments while looking at their hands. Siyeon rolls her eyes as she knows it’s her way to tease them, “I know you already know but still, we have to tell you in person.” Siyeon says and Kai nods along. “Well, I found out about it half a year ago. In case you don’t know, hyung.” Kai looks at Baekhyun who snorts at him.

“And I confirmed it when I went to Astra accompanying the others, I swam to the Sea of Fate and got the answer.” Siyeon explains and Hyerin nods along, “Well, congratulations. It is a happy time indeed, two of the heirs manage to find their mate right before the festival. Have you told your parents?” Kai nods to the question.

“Of course, they’re extremely happy about it. Excited and definitely want children as soon as possible, scary request.”

They all laugh at Kai’s answer, “Well, you have my blessing.” Hyerin nods at the couple. Siyeon hugs her and thanks her, “You know you should find yours too, right?” Hyerin just laughs at the woman’s remark. “I’ll do that later, the festival is draining me out.” Siyeon throws her some looks but the older female dismisses any suspicion from her.

“So, dinner everyone?”

Hyerin puts down her glass on a desk and leads them all to leave her room. They walk to the dinner hall and have a dinner there alongside the other crystallites.

“Anyway, I have to leave for the Lake of the Moon in a couple days.” Hyerin informs them all as they settle down in their seats.

“Already? Wow,” Kai quips as he doesn’t realize the festival is getting near, Lake of the Moon is where the eldest crystallite goes for swimming a week before the festival to recharge because their energy is used up to help other creatures in The Sphere who’d come over and ask for help. They fight the war that none of the Rulers of the Houses know, as they are the only people who have the ability to fends off invisible wars happening every day. Being the eldest among them all, Hyerin protects them all from the inmate of the Exile who’d try to lure the resident of The Sphere or trap them.

“So, take a good care of the Palace while I’m gone and please stop interrupting classes with your manmade disaster.” Hyerin points her fork both at Baekhyun and Kai. The guys just laugh along, “So, tell me. How did you find out about this?” Hyerin points at the couple and they begin to tell her the story. Siyeon occasionally forgets some details and Kai would fill her in, continues to tell the story. She’d hits him lightly on the arm when she thinks the details aren’t correct but Kai only rolls his eyes while explaining that his memory isn’t wrong. Hyerin smiles while looking at the both, maybe one day she’d find her own mate too.

Maybe.

“I don’t think this is the color that I asked for.”

Hyerin keeps squinting her eyes to see the color scheme for the festival decorations that started to fill the front garden, the hall, and all the way to the Crystal Garden. Siyeon tilts her head, “Yes, it is. You said to look at the color palates so I chose one of the palates.” she points at the palate in front of them and Hyerin gasps.

“Well, I did say palate. The Pantone palate, not the rainbow one,” Hyerin shakes her head and Siyeon pouts at the correction. The older female simply chuckles as she raises her hands to recolor the whole decorations.

“Now, this is what I want.”

Siyeon looks around and then nods in agreement that it looks better than the previous one, “Anyway, when are you leaving for the Lake?” she asks Hyerin as they walk around to see the preparation going on with other crystallites growing the plants or arranging the ribbons all around the place.

“In a couple days, but now we’re about to have a guest over.” Hyerin answers while looking at the entrance, Siyeon looks at the same direction and a couple moments later Chanyeol shows up with a girl right beside him. The girl doesn’t look familiar and she doesn’t look like an inhabitant of The Sphere either.

“Who’s—”

Siyeon points at the couple and Hyerin just laughs at her speechlessness, “Hey there,” Hyerin walks toward the couple.

“Told you,” Chanyeol says to Hana who gasps at Hyerin, “Oh my God, so all of you—This—Oh God!” Hyerin laughs at Hana who’s stumbling over her words.

“Welcome to The Sphere, you’re in the Palace of the Crystallites and this is Siyeon.” Hyerin tries to introduce Siyeon who’s also speechless but she quickly recovers, offering her hand to the human, “Hello, I’m Siyeon. I heard quite a bit about you, welcome!” Siyeon warmly greets her and Hana keeps nodding as they shake hands.

“Wow, not a pilot then?”

Hyerin shakes at the question, “Nope, but we did watch a whole documentary about it to make it real. Your boyfriend wanted all of us to do it so his cover, which is absolutely ridiculous, not blown.” Chanyeol throws her a look but the shrugs it off.

“And I do know you have a lot to ask because, clearly, this man only explain like 10% of The Sphere and his connection to you.” Hana laughs with Hyerin while looking at Chanyeol who’s definitely doesn’t like how Hana is siding with Hyerin. “Yes, I do have quite a lot of question. If you don’t mind, I would like to know more though it seems like you’re pretty busy now.” Hana looks around to see the preparation for the festival.

Hyerin shakes her head, “Oh, come on. Don’t worry, we still have two weeks to do all these.” she extends her hand to invite Hana to the Palace.

“Thank you, I’ll be back right before dinner if that’s okay with you.” Hana nods to her boyfriend who gives her forehead a quick peck before leaving the Palace area.

Hyerin chuckles while Siyeon shakes her head, “Come on in, tea? Coffee? Wine?” Hana smiles as she follows the owner of the Palace. She can’t help but keeps wow-ing and gasping at the sight of the Palace. Her jaw hasn’t closed not even once since they enter the Palace.

“Just tea would be fine, thank you.”

Hyerin nods to Siyeon who smiles at Hana before leaving them, Hyerin lets the girl adores the palace. Something that she grown accustomed to every time a first timer visitor sees the palace.

“All of these are crystals? Diamonds? Really?”

Hyerin nods to the question and leads her to her study room, “Yep, don’t know how they built it but these are real crystals.” Hana looks around and greets some other crystallites who pass by.

Hyerin let Hana in to her study room, the girl goes to the balcony to look the view of a garden with flowers that hasn’t bloom yet.

“These are pretty, are these the flowers you all about to see blooming during the…. Spring Festival?” Hana asks while joining Hyerin to sit at the sofa, “Spring Bloom Festival, yeah, they are the flowers we’re looking forward to bloom in two weeks.” Hyerin answers her question.

“But, don’t you guys have the ability to just grow them? I mean, why can’t you do it with these flowers?” Hana is certainly a great listener and absorbs information fast.

“That’s because they are no ordinary flowers,” Hyerin answer as Siyeon knocks and open the door with a tray of tea set and some cookies.

“Thank you,” Hana smiles at Siyeon, “Your welcome, it’s really nice to meet you and you’re really pretty just like how Chanyeol described.” Hana almost chokes on her own saliva. Hyerin gives Siyeon a scolding look but the girl just laughs as she takes her leave.

“So, Chanyeol told you I’m a crystallite, right?” Hana nods as she takes a sip of her tea, “He said you guys are like Avatar, master of all elements kind of thingy…? I’m sorry, the last two hours has been a roller coaster.” Hana tries to remember what Chanyeol explained earlier.

“Yes, something like that. The One has chosen us to carry these powers since birth in exchange of a huge responsibility. We are not born out of a person, so we don’t really have biological parents.” Hana tilts her head in confusion, “We all came out of those flowers, that’s why the Spring Bloom Festival is important. The whole residents of The Sphere celebrate the birth of new batch of Crystallites and also the first day of Spring, officially.” Hyerin explains and Hana keeps listening to her.

“So, there will be babies coming out of those flowers?”

Hyerin nods, “Yeah, but we’re totally just another person. We can give birth and all those stuffs, but even if two crystallites got married and have child, their child won’t be a crystallite too. For example, Siyeon earlier, her mate is Kai from the House of Space, the tan male. When they have a child, then the child will be a member of House of Space, not here.”

“So, a crystallite can’t be birthed because you’re chosen by The One? That’s correct?”

“Yeah, and if there’s two crystallites who got married, most of them won’t have children and decides to become a parent for the younger crystallites.”

“So, you do have parents then?” Hana confirms, “Yeah, parents’ figure, they were the best. They’re really nice and…. I may never know the love of biological parents but I’m sure their love was the exact same.” Hyerin remembers two crystallites who she called mom and dad. She really misses them, especially during the Festival preparation.

“Chanyeol told me you’re the leader, how do you guys choose a leader? I mean, from what I get, the Rulers of the House are direct descendants of the Creators. How about you guys?” Hana asks again, Hyerin loves how she actually ask the important things and quite an observant.

“Well, that’s how this takes a part.” Hyerin pulls her right arm with clenched fist, Hana furrows her brows but then quickly widens her eyes when she sees a shimmering thing in Hyerin’s blood.

“Is that… your veins?” Hana points and Hyerin nods, letting the other woman to look at it.

“This is what makes it different, in every batch of those flowers, you’ll find a baby with this vein. They said, we are the direct descendant of The One who are chosen to rule the Palace. To have a connection and have more power to call the dead. They called us as Crystal Blood, well, you can see why. Siyeon, who you saw earlier, is my sister. We share the same parents and she’s also a Crystal Blood.”

Hana clearly doesn’t expect that, she raises her eyebrows and Hyerin just nods as she takes a sip of her drink.

“That is one of our power that none of the House can have, we make contact with those in the underworld, the afterlife. There’s Tartarus, the place for those who mostly spent their lives in the Exile or did something unpleasant according to the law in this universe. Mourning Fields, for those who mourn for their lost love, unrequited love, those who can’t let go of something, they go to the Fields. Last one, Elysium, for those who manage to live a proper life during their time in the world. We’re the only one who can make contact with our ancestors or anyone from the afterlife, we could even call them. The House of Heal can heal your wounds and everything but they can’t resurrect the dead or mend a broken soul, we can.”

“Broken soul? What do you mean by broken soul?”

Hyerin puts down her cup of tea before starts to explain how demons in The Sphere could actually break your soul by putting you in an endless nightmare with your worst fear in it. Those whose soul are broken won’t be able to function normally, they’d put in a catatonic state endlessly. Usually those who are from the Exile have this ability to trap the people from The Sphere, Olympus, or the Wizarding World.

“It needs a tremendous power to mend a broken soul or resurrect them from death. There’s a limit to use our power sometimes, we need to recharge too.”

Hana nods along, trying to absorb all the information she got for the day. There are a lot to remember and learn, but Hyerin senses that she actually wants to know and understand more. She smiles while looking at Hana who’s trying to process all the information in her head.

“You said you have parents figure, I don’t see anyone older than you around here though….”

Hana remembers something that she notices as soon as she steps into the Palace, unlike in other Houses, she hasn’t met anyone older than them passing by. Hyerin sighs a she put her hands together, “Well, I believe Chanyeol told you about the Neo Attacks seven years ago?” Hana nods to the question. “Yeah, but he said he doesn’t remember about it a lot.” she adds and Hyerin nods to confirm it’s true, “Yeah, because it’s a war that only fought by crystallites.”

Neo Attacks was a war, provoked by those who lived in the Neo, a city on the southern border of The Sphere.

“The war itself was started by some great wizards from the Wizarding World, who thought that the parallel universe is ridiculous. That we, who lives on the other universe, should be able to go to the Otherworld, the worlds of human, and invade them so there would be no powerless creature left in the world. What a bunch of s. Since it started by a wizard, Hogwarts has sent their best students and Olympus has sent along their best people but—"

“Wait—Hogwarts?”

Hana interrupts the other woman’s story, Hyerin is about to continue her story when she realizes that Hana is a human from the Otherworld.

“Yeah, those Harry Potter movie in your world is actually based on the Wizarding World. They don’t put names on their territory and prefer to be called as the Wizarding World. The writer…. I forgot her name, was actually a wizard that was kicked out of this universe because she wants to expose us to the other universe. So, The One kicked her to the Otherworld and let her do her thing with the Harry Potter thing, it’s quite fun and entertaining for us actually.”

Hana is quite amazed by the revelation, “Wow…. So, there is such thing as muggle?”

Hyerin shakes her head to that one, “Sadly no, wizards only born from wizard parents. Your case is a unique one, although yes some of those wizards actually work in the Otherworld. Anyway, it wasn’t enough to fend the people of Neo who are led by 22 guys who think they are superior just because they can talk and absorb some dark power from the Exile inhabitants. So, the crystallites decided to come along and fight the war without the knowledge of the other Rulers. Three days after half of the crystallites are sent to Neo, none of them come back and an Edelweiss came on their behalf to send a message. Asking for more help, more crystallites. They said it’s a war that can only be won by us, who has complete control of our powers. The rest of the older crystallites went to Neo, including my parents... Those who already ascended go to Neo to kill them and stop them from going to other cities, to stop the attack, because they are killing any resident of the city who don’t want to go along with their plan, eating their soul.  Sixty Crystal Blood crystallites decided the only way to stop them was to unite their power and obliterate the entire city while also protecting the other city at the same time in return of their life.”

Hyerin stops her story, trying not to remember how her parents say goodbye in the middle of the night. They tried not to disturb the others but Hyerin and Siyeon are light sleepers, they went out to see the older crystallites getting ready to leave the Palace. The last words her father said was to look out for each other and her mom told her to be brave.

“It happened a week before the festival, a week before I ascend. If only I were 16 and already ascended…. I could have been with them.”

“I’m sorry…. I know how it feel to lost your parents and the saddest part of it is you can’t do anything about it.” Hyerin remembers that Hana also lost her parents and brother, the alteration in fate that she made seven years ago.

“Oh yeah, you also…. Lost your parents, sorry.” Hana shakes as she smiles, “That’s okay, sometimes…. I wish people would stop saying sorry and talk about them like normal. But well, beggars can’t choose, right?”

Hyerin let out a laugh, that woman sure has a sense of joke and somehow, she is thankful that The One paired Chanyeol with her.

“How do you guys hold the temptation to use your powers against the other Houses? I mean, you guys are powerful, even Chanyeol said he and the guys could never win against you whenever your guys have a sparring.”

Hana asks again out of curiosity. Hyerin chuckles but considering that Hana has been raised in human world, it is normal for her to ask something very humanly.

“Human question, well, we’re born with one strong trait. Selfless. We’re here to serve and protect, nothing else, nothing more. I know about that movie called Divergent in the Otherworld, read about it, seen the movie, nope. It’s not going happen here because we’re not made, we’re born with this trait. The other members of the Houses or the Wizards sure has that thought. Thinking they’re great so they could take over the universe, just like those Neo boys. But a crystallite is always born with selflessness. Hence, we’re given a huge responsibility with these powers.”

Hana tilts her head in confusion, she thought everything that she has heard is everything that a crystallite can do. What more task could they be given by The One.

“We have protégé, someone that we need to protect at all cost. Even if we risk our life for them, that’s our job, our calling, the reason we’re here. Each and one of us are told about who our protégé is during the ascend and it is our job to protect them.”

Hyerin pours more tea into their cups, “So, like a guardian angel kind of thing?” Hyerin nods to the question. “Yeah, something like that. Anymore curiosity?” she asks Hana back, “Uhm, probably tomorrow after I process everything. But Chanyeol said you’re the one who wanted me to be here as soon as possible before the festival, why?” Hana takes a bite of the cookie she’s been eyeing.

“You’re a direct descendant from the 13th Creator, so there’ll be powers hidden inside you. I’ll find a way to wake it up and train you. I will be going to recharge in the Lake of the Moon soon, I might will be able to find out more about what to do with you there, that’s why I need you here faster before the festival.”

“You can do that? I have powers within me?”

Hyerin nods and then stands up, “We’ll find out more tomorrow, you don’t mind coming back, aren’t you?” Hana laughs at the question as she shakes her head. They keep talking for a while before asking whether she can take some of the cookies and then excuse herself when there’s a knock on the door.

“Mind me taking her back? My mom has so many questions on her,” Chanyeol asks while leaning on the door, “Nope, she’s all yours. See you!” Hana hugs Hyerin and then waves her hand at her while holding a bag of cookies on her left hand.

After they left, Hyerin sits back on the sofa and exhales loudly as if she’s been holding her breath. She keeps reminding herself that it is the right thing to do, the right way, and it’s her job to make sure her protégé is safe and sound even in the afterlife. She remembers when she ascent seven years ago, when her protégé is revealed by The One.

Hyerin opens her eyes and she realizes she’s surrounded with edelweiss. She smiles as she walks around to greet them when The One appears before her.

“Hyerin,”

She bows to The One and her forehead is touched, suddenly she feels warm all around her body. Just like what the Elders said, she feels very warm and somehow powerful at the same time. It’s something that they’ve been told for years before the actual event. As they grow older, the power within them grows stronger too. With the ascend, The One unleashed the full force of their power and a crystallite will be able to have a full control of it.

“Thank you,” Hyerin opens her eyes and The One smiles at her, “Ready to see your protégé?” Hyerin nods to the question.

The One closes its eyes and put a hand on Hyerin’s shoulder, “Are you ready? Yours is…. A little bit complicated,” Hyerin frowns upon hearing those sentence from The One.

“I’m sure I can handle anything,” she assures The One, “Very well then,” Hyerin looks up and sees her protégé in the projection. Someone that she has to protect no matter what. The colors from her face disappeared quickly the moment she sees the person in the projection.

Chanyeol.

She looks at The One who gives her a concerned smile, knowing what it means to Hyerin. The One put its hand down and let Hyerin talk, the female looks down as she tries to process what is happening. She looks at The One who’s surely waiting for her to say something, “So…. If I have to trade my life for his, will he be gone to the Fields?” Hyerin asks.

“Highly likely….”

The One answers reluctantly but Hyerin needs to know the truth. She sighs, “Guess I don’t have any other choices, huh?” she lets out a soft chuckle.

“You can see all the possibilities and choose the best outcome. I’m sure you can sort this out. Please take care of yourself too despite protecting him is your job, your safety is also important. Your parents are very proud of you, Rin-ah.”

The One keep talking to her while telling her how the elder Crystal Blood are proud of her leading the younger crystallites in the middle of mourning period. Finally, it’s time for Hyerin’s soul to get back. The One hugs her and let her know that everyone in the afterlife will be at her service, anytime she needs them.

Hyerin is back to the garden with the other crystallites who just ascended, everyone claps and congratulate them for the event. Hyerin then escorts everyone to see the newborn crystallites and even interacts with them.

“So, how does it feel?”

Chanyeol shows up with the other guys alongside Siyeon, “Weird, fuzzy, fun, I don’t know. All in one, it’s like one of those drinks that Kris made during New Year’s Eve.”

Kris throws her some look but she just laughs it off, “So, you’re like what? Way more powerful than all of us combined now?” Luhan asks and Hyerin nods. “Yup, means I can beat your asses whenever I want to.” she sticks out her tongue to them all, the guys groans at her respond.

“Oh, ma’am, please spare your boyfriend from all the beating.”

Chanyeol pleads while putting his arms around her, Hyerin raises her eyebrows at him but he doesn’t let her go.

Suddenly, the image of Chanyeol that she saw earlier with The One pops out in her mind. Her own boyfriend is her protégé. If that’s not the best ascendant gift ever, she doesn’t know what else.

After the festival, Hyerin withdraws herself for a while. Citing that the festival took more of her energy because it was her first time leading the festival. The death of all the Elders a week before the festival sent the whole The Sphere to mourn but the arrival of the newborns can’t be delayed so Hyerin had to put off the official mourning period to welcome the crystallites. And that year, the newborns are doubled than usual and it keeps happening since then. Hyerin asks the Elders when she was visiting Firinn a few weeks after that, they said that it’s the least they can do for her after leaving her in the dark during the war.

Hyerin spends almost a week in Firinn, she doesn’t tell anyone about what’s bothering her yet. She knows when she come back to Beatha, people will find out one way or another. So, she made up her mind to be able to protect Chanyeol and save him from going to the Mourning Fields in the afterlife. She’s seen all the possibilities, she’d die to protect him and he’d mourn for her even in the afterlife. She doesn’t want that because it’s something that she needs to prevent. She decided to put an end to their relationship.

“What?”

Baekhyun stops eating when Hyerin said what she did yesterday night, Sehun furrows his brows and recalls something he saw the night before.

“Is that why he stays up late on his rooftop all by himself last night?”

Hyerin sighs, she doesn’t want it either. But it’s something that she needs to do, besides she’s sure they aren’t destined to be mates. His mate is someone else and she can’t hold him to find his mate. His feelings may be strong for her as does hers but the bound between destined mates can’t be denied.

At first, Chanyeol was okay. Although Hyerin and the others are very worry, she doesn’t see him face to face but she knew he was holding up okay. Until a week later, Sehun came to Hyerin’s class and said that Chanyeol is running a high fever. His parents can’t do anything about it and Lay can’t heal him, he’s out of tricks. He thinks it’s an after effect of his heartbreak and only Hyerin who can save him. Chanyeol was put into a long slumber by Lay until Hyerin knows what to do.

“The memories are the things that hold him, put him in the darkest place…. I have to erase them,” Hyerin mutters to Siyeon, the younger female frowns after hearing what she said.

“You crazy?”

“Why would you have to do that?”

Kai rises up from his seat and tries to convince Hyerin that there might be another way, there must be. “Yeah, and that is? The more time I spend mulling over what should I do to save him, the more time we’re wasting here. Why don’t you tell me what should I do to save my own protégé?”

Hyerin blows up and at that moment everyone knows the real reason why she broke up with Chanyeol. They were a perfect and happy couple, everyone in Beatha or even the whole Sphere knows how much they love each other. They grew up together and always been there for each other, the night when the Elders left the Palace, Chanyeol came over to console her and put her to sleep because she couldn’t sleep.

Xiumin approaches her, “Are you sure? Because I know you have a job to do but you also need to save yourself from the pain, Rin.” Hyerin looks down. Xiumin always know what to say and ask, the only one who never goes to the Firinn his entire life because somehow, he always knows what to ask in Freagairt. But her mind is made up and she puts her focus to help Chanyeol.

The very next day, the thirteen of them went to see Chanyeol and Hyerin takes a last look of the Chanyeol who remembers their memories. She cries as she briefly kissed him and apologizes for what she’s about to do.

“I’m sorry, Yeol-ah.”

She stands back up and put her hand on top of his head, a projection of his memories shows and she erases every single memories of their relationship. Replacing her with any of the guys when it’s doable, take out every single thing that he remembers about their relationship. As far as the new Chanyeol knows, they’re best friend since birth and nothing more. All the memories of her from his mind is taken off and she balled it into a crystal, turns it into a pendant.

His breathing is steady again and his fever starting to gone down little by little. Baekhyun looks at her, she knows that and just smiles back at him. Hyerin whispers something to Kris and Luhan, both were reluctant but she assures him it will be fine. Luhan closes his eyes and get the remaining of them in a circle with Kris creating a ball of shield around them. Hyerin goes up to look the entire Beatha and flies higher to see the whole Sphere. She takes a deep breath before reciting a spell that will make the entire Sphere to forget about her relationship with Chanyeol, she manipulates the past, as if it never happened. In order for him to not finding out the truth, she needs to erase any trace of them from anyone. She asked Kris to protect the others because she knows one or two of them would sense something is wrong if she didn’t ask him to do that and eventually, Chanyeol will know. Xiumin is the one who told her it’s best for her to let them remember everything and assures her that the secret will be safe. He knows how much pain she’d be and she’d need them to be around her. She didn’t agree with the idea to keep them remember but Xiumin managed to let her understand how much pain she’d be if no one remembers and she kept it all to herself.

After that, Hyerin is so weak that she needs to stay in her bed for the whole week while the boys stay by Chanyeol’s side after he awakes. Erasing and manipulating the past on someone has already takes much of her energy, more over the whole Sphere. That’s why Chanyeol doesn’t really remember anything about the Neo Attack because most of his memories about it is with her and she erased all of it.

As the festival is getting closer, the preparation is getting busier. Hyerin is busy to prepare the other Crystal Blood because after the festival, they will have more responsibility and more power absorbed into them. They are destined to lead and protect the other crystallites besides protecting their protégé and their Palace. It’s a huge responsibility that will overwhelm some of them, it’s normal, it’s a process. Back when she was a kid, Hyerin always thought it was unfair that the other crystallites her age get to play after classes. She would have to go into another extra class meant for Crystal Bloods, the senior crystallites would teach the class so sometimes she’d feel bored. There used to be several classes because there were 76 of them. After the war, there were only 16 of them left with Hyerin being the oldest. She teaches that class now and somehow, she feels bad for complaining about how the class was too much for her back then. Now she needs to teach the younger ones while still learning along the way.

Since Chanyeol brings Hana to Beatha, the female has been a frequent visitor to the Palace because Hyerin needs to see and feels what she can do to wake the power within Hana. Chanyeol’s family is very happy with Hana and welcoming her warmly in their house. Even Yoora, his older sister, takes her to stroll around Sphere while introducing her to a lot of people. Happiness definitely blooms from the House of Fire and House of Space as both of their heirs found their mate in time with the festival. Both Chanyeol and Kai’s parents has told Hyerin that it will be a huge celebration for the festival this year.

Hyerin has been teaching Hana how to compose herself and feel the energy around her. To remove or at least put aside her human nature, Hana needs to be able to feel her surrounding thoroughly and become more patient with it. To have a power, someone needs to be able to control themselves and their mind first. It may be a great thing but surely not an easy one.

“Now, give me your left hand.”

Hana gives Hyerin her left hand, the latter puts her right hand on top of it and closes her eyes. Hana keeps looking at her until suddenly Hyerin blows an air through while opening her eyes. Hana’s eyes are closed and both of them got into her mind.

Hyerin looks around and sees a child picking out flowers while not caring about her surroundings. She approaches the girl carefully, “Hey,” the girl looks up and smiles. She stands up as she hands Hyerin a flower, “Can you show me the way?” the little girl nods as she leads Hyerin somewhere. They walk for a while among the flower field, it’s Hana’s subconsciousness. The girl points to a dead tree in the middle of the field, Hyerin thanks her and the girl leaves.

Hyerin walks over to the tree and touches its trunk. It’s not dead, it’s just asleep, just like Hyerin expected. The tree is the representation of the power inside Hana, it was put to a long deep slumber by The One centuries ago and now Hyerin needs to wake it up. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, slowly but steadily the tree is waking up. Its leaves start to come out one by one, the branches are long and steady again. It takes a while but the tree is alive again. Hyerin looks up and smiles, “Thank you,” she whispers to the tree before closing her eyes to leave. A couple moments later, she’s back standing in front of Hana again.

“You can open your eyes now,”

Hyerin says and the girl does so, “What did you do?” Hana asks her as she doesn’t realize what’s happening. “I visited your subconsciousness, that’s where your power source was asleep the whole time. Now that it’s awakens, we’ll see what you have, okay?” Hana nods excitedly.

“Remember, take a deep breath and feel it all through your body before you let it free.”

Hana closes her eyes and does what Hyerin tells her to do, her hands stick out in front of her chest. A green glow appears and suddenly the grass under them grows taller. Hyerin smiles and tells Hana to open her eyes, the girl looks at the now taller than before grass. She looks at Hyerin who nods at her, validating that it is her own doing.

“Nature manipulation. When you’ve mastered this well, you can make a good use of your power and fight for yourself. Although I doubt you’ll ever fight anyone because Chanyeol won’t let you in a slight danger.” both laugh together.

“I heard you’re going away for a while, is that true?”

Hana asks Hyerin who nods to the question, “I will be away for a couple days, to recharge and prepare myself for the festival. It’s going to be power-consuming and I need to do well for all the babies.” Hana nods to the answer.

“In the meantime, Siyeon will help you to train while I’m gone. You’ll be fine as long as you concentrate.” Hyerin assures her and they continue the training for a couple more hours until it’s half past three in the afternoon.

“So, was she ruthless?”

Chanyeol walks toward them as it’s time for him to pick Hana up as usual, Hyerin throws him a look but the man just laughs at it.

“No, and we found out what’s my power is!” Hana excitedly says, her boyfriend definitely looks excited too. He looks at Hyerin to confirm it and she nods as a response. “Nature manipulation, she can hit you with a power from the Mars.” Chanyeol raises his brows at Hyerin’s tease, Hana laughs as she slowly walks towards him.

“But you don’t have to worry because all I can do for now is growing plants with my hands.” Hana nudges Chanyeol’s elbow so the man laughs as he circles his arms around her waist and pulls her closer. Hyerin smiles at the scene, “You know I could just send her home,” she says and Hana nods along to the statement. “And I’ve remembered the way around, I’ll be fine.” Hana adds, Chanyeol simply chuckles at the attack from them both.

“What’s wrong with being more attentive to my own mate?” Chanyeol defends himself and Hyerin raises her arms to surrender with that kind of defends.

They continue to chat for a while, mostly talking about how the people in his House reacts towards Hana. His mother always greets Hana excitedly every time she sees Hana, even cooks more than usual for her. Yoora, his older sister, always jokes that their mother acts as if she doesn’t have a daughter of her own and the Lady of the House will defend herself by saying that it’s her first time seeing a mate of her children because Yoora hasn’t found hers yet. Hyerin loves how many stories they have even in the span of one day, different stories always show up whenever he comes to pick Hana up.

“You guys are still here?”

The three of them turn to see Baekhyun walks toward them, “What are you doing here? I thought you went to Aotrom with your brother.” Chanyeol asks the man who currently stands beside Hyerin. “I was in Aotrom but my job was done earlier than Beom’s job and old man Kris needed some help here so I come back to Beatha faster than Beom.” Baekhyun shrugs, Hyerin raises her eyebrows at the man. Aotrom is a city where the biggest House of Light’s people population, other than in Beatha, lives. Chanyeol looks at the two in front of him and then takes a quick glance at Hana who just chuckle because they’re thinking about the same thing.

“You know we can read and hear your mind, right?” Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol and Hana who completely caught red handed, “You’re wrong, it’s not me.” Hyerin shakes her head at the couple’s thoughts. Chanyeol tilts his head but Hyerin raises her eyebrows and then he knows it’s the truth, “Alright, suit yourself. See you both tomorrows,” Chanyeol says as he walks away with Hana. His girlfriend waves at Hyerin as she says thank you like usual, Hyerin waves back at her and smiles. Both Baekhyun and Hyerin look at the couple until they’ve left the Palace ground.

“What are you doing here anyway?”

Hyerin turns to look at the man right beside her, Baekhyun smiles at her as they both walk to the Palace. “I miss your pretty face,” he teases her and Hyerin chuckles at him, they keep walking with some crystallites greet them as they’re passing by. Sometimes, she stops to talk to the young crystallites who greets her excitedly, Baekhyun can see how Hyerin loves and care for them all. Something that scared him because they might lose her.

They reach the door that led them to the Crystal Garden where the baby crystallite flowers are. Hyerin loves looking at them because it’s always felt so peaceful there.

“Kai says that someone breach a portal, not one but several times and places already now.”

Hyerin turns to Baekhyun, “Neo?” Baekhyun shrugs because he doesn’t know. “Probably, probably not. He got some people to detect the energy’s origin, we’ll know the answer soon. I just think I should tell you beforehand.” Hyerin smiles as she thanks him, “I’ll be away for a couple days, you sure you can hang on here?” Hyerin teases him back to break the tension of the news. Baekhyun just lets out a chuckle, “I could just follow you around up,” Hyerin throws him a look to warn him that he should never do that. He laughs because of course he won’t do that.

“Kris and Luhan are going to Freagairt the day after tomorrow to find more about those anomalies, the only people who know are Kai, Kris, Xiumin, Suho, Luhan, and me. After they get back from Freagairt, they’ll tell the others.” Baekhyun informs her about the plan that him and the other boys talk about earlier. Hyerin nods as she agrees with the said plan, “Just make sure you guys don’t injure yourself, take care.” Hyerin reminds him and she softly chuckles at the reminder.

“Back at you, ma’am. Back at you,” he nudges her elbow, “Anyway, I’ll be off tomorrow so you should probably go home now.” Hyerin advices and he nods along. “Just want to say goodbye and have a safe trip because I probably won’t be seeing you off tomorrow.” he opens his arms for a hug and she laughs, “See you in a couple days,” she says while they’re hugging. Baekhyun hums as he her hair softly, enjoying the afternoon breeze along the garden.

Hyerin arrives at the Lake of the Moon and smiles as she sees the guardian of the place, “Artemis,” she says as the goddess walking along several attendants who keep the Lake free of any evil entity and maintain its chastity. Artemis turns around and gladly welcome her to the Lake, she tells the attendants to prepare the Lake for Hyerin as they take a walk around to wait.

“I heard about the commotion in The Sphere,” Artemis starts off, Hyerin tilts her head as she doesn’t surprise with it. Each realm would communicate with each other and she knows how joyful it is for each Houses that their heirs found their mate. Although Hyerin manage to alter the memories of all the creatures in The Sphere, those who lives in the other realm still has the recollection of what happened. Especially Artemis who she’s been seeing frequently at least once a year, they must have known that Chanyeol, her ex-boyfriend, has found his mate.

“Words do travel fast,” Hyerin chuckles, the goddess stops her track to turn at her. Hyerin does the same thing, “Hecate came to see me a few days ago, she wants me to hug you for as long as I can and do whatever you want me to do. I knew she saw something and I believe you’ve seen something in the future,” true to her words, Artermis pulls Hyerin for a hug and they stay still for a while. Hyerin softly smiles, Artemis has always been the one who embrace her and listen to her worries. She’s just like an older sister to her, that’s why she always looking forward coming to the Lake of the Moon.

“I’ve been seeing them since my ascendant.” Hyerin pulls out of the hug, the woman in front of her looking at her intensely.

“Well, things will happen one way or another. It’s my job anyway,” the leader of the crystallite smiles contently, Artemis chuckles at her words. “This is why sometimes we all hate The One, you guys are way too good to exist with those workloads. Oh, why?” Artemis looks up as if she’s talking to The One. Hyerin laughs at the random tantrum against The One.

“If I’m not a crystallite, you’re going to hate me. Believe me,” both laugh and they continue to walk around the garden surrounding the Lake.

“Ah, right. So, Kai’s mate is Siyeon? That’s actually real?” Artemis starts another conversation, Hyerin nods to the question. “Yup, they’re so cute especially when they came to me to tell me about it. Now I know how the Rulers’ feel when their heir found a mate.” she adds.

“How about Baekhyun the light boy? He still sticking around you?” Artemis gives Hyerin a teasing glance as Hyerin burst into a laughter, “Yeah, probably should just tell him who’s his mate is but you know that’s not how it works. I feel bad,” Hyerin wrinkles her nose at the thought. They reach a seat where several food and tea are prepared by the attendants for them.

“This is so unfair, you both look good together.” Artemis huffs at the thought of Baekhyun’s mysterious future mate, “Yeah, that’s not how this work, honey.” Hyerin chuckles at it. “How’s the preparation? The Goddess of the Underworld send a hello to you a couple days ago, she said she couldn’t wait for the festivity.” Artemis says as she pours herself a cup of tea before filling out Hyerin’s cup. “It’s been fine, I guess…. But more tiring than the usual because on top of the preparation, I have to train Chanyeol’s mate too. But I’m pulling through.” Hyerin shrugs as she thanks for the tea and has a sip.

“You always do and we’re all so proud of you.” Artemis looks at Hyerin dearly, “Anyway, have you heard about this thing in the Wizarding World?” Artemis changes the subject and then begin to tell a story about something that happened in another realm. They keep talking until one of the attendants tell them that the Lake is ready for Hyerin, the crystallite bids her goodbye to the goddess and follow the attendant to the Lake to begin her meditating period.

The day of the festival come and everyone in The Sphere are celebrating it, the first official day of Spring is something that people are waiting for. The blooming flowers and warm weather are things that anyone would love, most couple would wait until the spring to get married. Anything looks better on Spring.

The Palace starts to receive guests for the Festival, most of the Beatha occupants come to enjoy the festivity. The ascending of the crystallites is something that people look forward to. Important guests such as the Rulers of each Houses start to come by. Hyerin greets them all, she’s really glad that they could make it because they’re just like parents for her. They guide her and help her with things that none of her friends would understand because they haven’t inherited the throne of their Houses yet, except for Xiumin who inherited his father’s position after he died two years earlier.

“So glad to see you again, uncle.” Hyerin pulls out of the hug from Lay’s father and then proceed to hug his mother, “This is amazing, you’ve been doing great. Your parents must be really proud of you, Rin.” Hyerin smiles at the mention of her parents. They talk a few more before she needs to leave and greet other guests.

“I hope Baekhyun stopped bothering you,” Hyerin laughs at the Lady of the Light’s word, Baekhyun’s mother definitely knows how attached her son to the crystallite is. “Well, he is clingy from the day he’s born, isn’t he?” Hyerin side eyed Baekhyun who shakes his head at the unbelievable sight of his mom and Hyerin gang up against him.

“Its very tiring, huh? Preparing for the Festival while training Chanyeol’s mate at the same time,” she turns to Baekhyun’s father, “It is, uncle. But Siyeon has been really helpful for the past year, apparently founding a mate definitely become a new source of power.” they all laugh together. Baekhyun’s brother also joins the conversation and they chat for a while before Xiumin comes with his whole family. Hyerin greets them all and even shakes hands with his children, his wife let Hyerin to interact with their daughter who’s still less than a year old. Hyerin smiles as she touches the baby’s forehead as if she’s blessing her. “Has Xiumin-oppa been helpful, unnie?” Xiumin throws Hyerin a look but his wife laughs at the question. “Surprisingly he has, you should see the look on his face when Minji poop all over the mattress. Now, he knows what kind of mess I’m going through when he’s not helping at all.” they both laugh together.

“Hyerin-ah!”

Hyerin turns around to see Hana, Chanyeol, and his family waving at her. Hyerin excuses herself and goes to greet them. “Wow, you look amazing. As always, Yoora-unnie, you’re the best.” Chanyeol’s older sister high fives with her because Hyerin knows she’s the one who dresses Hana up. “This is your first Spring Bloom Festival, I hope you enjoy all the festivities. Thank you for coming, uncle, auntie.” Hyerin says while looking at Chanyeol’s parents. They both smiles as they talk about several new decorations they’ve never seen before, Hyerin explains it all while crediting the young crystallites for the new and colorful decorations. “Well, it will turn out to be a great one again, I believe that.” Chanyeol’s mom smiles at Hyerin, the host thanks her and they keep talking for a couple minutes.

Hyerin then continues to entertain the other guests and talk with them, it’s a couple minutes before the babies are due. Siyeon pulls her out of the guests to let her prepare for the arrival of the babies, “How could I ever do it like you? I could never be that friendly, God, what am I going to do?” Hyerin laughs at Siyeon’s murmur. “You’ll find your way, you’re born for this. Anyway, everything’s set?” Siyeon nods at the question and they step into the Garden where most the flowers are already growing big, ready to let the babies see the world.

Hyerin hold out her hands over the garden from the balcony, giving more than enough energy for all the flowers. Something that will definitely consume her power but that’s the reason she needed to go to the Lake of the Moon before the festival. As the flowers take up the power, they start to glow and all the crystallites know it’s the time. They open the windows overlooking the Garden for all the guests to see as Hyerin walks into the Garden and stand in the middle of the huge field filled with flowers. Siyeon nods her head and Hyerin looks above to all the guests.

“Welcome to the Spring Bloom Festival where we celebrate the first official day of spring and the birth of the newborn crystallites to the world. I feel thankful for all the support and loves that we, the Palace, receives for all these times. Generations of crystallites has been keeping all the sacred tradition for the sake of our living life. Some of them will now respond to their calling, ascending to meet The One and see their own purposes.” Hyerin nods to Siyeon who let the crystallites aged 16 to take their places and their ascendant begins. The whole surrounding area are silent, to let them concentrate and see The One, to see their purposes clearly. Hyerin looks at them, she’d often reminded by how her life was turn upside down after her own ascendant years ago and how things are so different with what she thought. Things will never be easy.

A couple minutes passed and one by one the 16 years old crystallites are awake, greets by the huge applause by the crowds. Hyerin also claps for them before putting her focus on the flowers.

“Now, may I present to you, the new crystallites.”

Everyone claps as the flowers bloom and babies’ cry are heard, all crystallites rushing over to take the baby and held them in their arm. Hyerin walks to the flowers she was born from, the only one with silver petals among the golden petals flower. She picks up the baby and held it in her arms, “Hello, baby boy. You’ll have an amazing parent that will take care of you,” she whispers to the baby who’s looking at her as if they’ve known each other before.

All the babies then will be transported to the Sunlit Room where they’ll be sleeping until they’re old enough to talk and walk. Other people can see them but can’t enter the room because only the crystallites are able to enter the room. The huge celebration also filled with the announcement of Kai and Chanyeol’s mate for the whole Sphere to know. It is a huge celebration, one of the biggest one she ever seen in her life. It stays on even until dinner time, people are so happy celebrating the spring coming. Not only people from The Sphere but also others from Olympus and the Wizarding World come to see and greet them all.

“And what did he say?”

Siyeon asks Hyerin as they’re walking through the town garden before attending some errands outside the Palace. “He said he’s cool about it, I don’t know. They should be going any minute now,” Hyerin looks around to look for someone. Siyeon also looks around and nudges Hyerin when she lands her eyes on Chanyeol and Hana who’s walking towards them hand in hand.

Hyerin smiles as Hana waves her hand excitedly at them, they’ve become closer ever since Hana come to The Sphere. As much as it pained her to see the only man that she ever loved being with someone else, it doesn’t give her any right to hate the girl that he loves. Hana is funny, caring, and cheeky. She resembles Siyeon in many different ways.

“You’re going back to the Otherworld?”

Siyeon asks Hana as soon as the couple stand right in front of them, “I need to pick up a few things, put a complete end to that chapter of my life over there. There are things to do,” Hana shrugs and Hyerin looks at Chanyeol who doesn’t really fond of that idea.

“He doesn’t look too good with that idea,” Hyerin chuckles while looking at the man, Chanyeol sighs but Hana just shakes her head. “He needs to do some job at Teine so he couldn’t accompany me to the Otherworld.” Hana answers on behalf of her sulking boyfriend, “Ew, sulking doesn’t suit you.” Siyeon comments on him.  Chanyeol throws her a glare but she raises her brows at him to challenge him to do something about it.

“The Otherworld is…. Weird and actually quite dangerous for you, those psychopaths from Tartarus might have heard about you and so on…. You shouldn’t go alone,” Hyerin advices, “I’ll be fine, I’ll just be a minute. As soon as I finished putting away everything, I’ll be right back here.” Hana assures that she’ll be fine.

That day, none of the boys are free, not even Hyerin and Siyeon. They need to do some work outside Beatha and no one has free time to go to the Otherworld with Hana. “You can take me up until the portal and we’ll meet again in a couple hours after you finish your duty, okay?” Chanyeol nods in agreement, “Be careful,” Hana nods as she and Chanyeol bid goodbye to Hyerin and Siyeon.

“Come on, they must be waiting for us.” Siyeon says to Hyerin, she nods along but then turns to look at Hana and Chanyeol. She doesn’t have a good feeling about this.

True to that thought because Chanyeol barges in on Hyerin and Siyeon who are talking to a couple crystallite in the outskirt of Rionnag, a city few miles away from Beatha. Hyerin can read his expression as soon as he steps into the room, the male looks pale as if all the colors from his face are taken away. He doesn’t need to say anything because she can read it thoroughly, something happened to Hana. Something that she’d knew all along it would happen.

“I can hear her….. but she—I can’t—”

Hyerin puts her hand on his shoulder as she and the others waiting for Chanyeol to hear his explanation how he knew Hana’s in danger.

“She’s not in the Otherworld….. She’s not there, but I can hear her screaming for me far away but something is blocking me… I don’t know where she is…”

Suho tries to console the male while thinking for a way to find Hana, Hyerin knows the person she’s been waiting for is blocking Chanyeol’s ability to connect with his mate. Only those who have consumed the Dark Well outskirt of Exile can perform that kind of trickery. Baekhyun and the others know but Chanyeol doesn’t know what is actually happening or what he got himself into.

“Can you find her? Please, Hyerin-ah….” pleads Chanyeol, begging as if he’s begging for his life.

Hyerin can’t help to look at him, she wanted to tell him everything she knows and everything that happened. But it’s not the right time yet. She looks at Baekhyun who certainly knows what she’s thinking, he doesn’t need words to know what she’s thinking because it’s all written on her. Hyerin takes another look on the poor male sitting on the chair surrounded by them all, “I know where she is,” she says and Chanyeol quickly turns his head to that statement.

Xiumin and the others look at Hyerin, to make sure she actually knows what she’s doing. She nods them off and then crouching down to look at Chanyeol.

“We’ll come and get her but if I told you to back off, you have to back off. You understand?” he nods, agree to whatever she asks because he needs to get Hana back. Hyerin looks into his eyes, she can feel how much in distress he is.

“You all can come with me but Siyeon must stay,” Siyeon quickly shoots a look at the older female, “You have to stay in Beatha, to hold down the fort.” Hyerin quickly shakes her head at what her sister about to say. “We’ll be careful, I won’t let anything happen to your Kai.” Sehun tries to joke to ease the tension in the air. Some chuckles while some just shakes their head to the joke.

“When are we going to get her?”

Kyungsoo asks Hyerin, “In a couple minutes, I need to talk to Yeri. You guys get ready and I’ll see you in the garden,” Hyerin answers before walking to the Palace with Siyeon following behind.

“I can help you, let me go with you. Please,”

Siyeon pleads as they walk into Hyerin’s room, the older female stops her track and then turns around. “You can’t, you have to stay here because I might send some of them back here without me first and you need to be here to help them.” Hyerin explains her reason to not allowing her to come with them to find Hana.

Siyeon doesn’t say anything because she knows it is reasonable, Hyerin then stretches her arm in the middle of her room. Siyeon closes the door and watch from the side, Yeri appears to greet them both. “Emergency?” Hyerin nods to the question from the fairy, “Is it him?” Hyerin asks back and the fairy nods as a response.

“She’s held in a dorcha, a cave right outside Neo. Ever since the attack, he stays in Dorcha and Otherworld. Hana is close with this person back in the Otherworld,” Yeri describes and Hyerin tilts her head to think about anyone. She closes her eyes to remember and then opens it when she realizes something.

“The café…. The barista?”

Yeri nods, “I almost didn’t realize it either but this is someone who’s been feeding power off the Dark Well for years, long since before the attack. It’s not your fault, it’s no one’s fault.” Yeri assures Hyerin that it’s okay. Hyerin sighs, “He’ll be too powerful for any of them to fight,” Yeri nods to that statement.

“I’ll tell Minos about the well, maybe there’s something that he can do about it. But Rin, tonight is eclipse.” Yeri worries about the crystallite, “You’ll have to use more power than the usual, so be careful. Okay?” Hyerin smiles softly at the warning. “Thank you, I’ll see you soon.” Yeri nods and then smile at Siyeon before disappearing again.

“Moon eclipse…. Can’t you guys go after the eclipse? I think she’ll be fine,” Siyeon murmurs but the older crystallite just chuckles.

“No, because the longer she is in dorcha, the harder it is for me to get her back. We’ll be right back, okay?” Hyerin hugs Siyeon for a couple moments before leaving the room. They both walk to the garden where everyone has been waiting.

“Notify the Rulers if I told Kai to tell you to, okay?” Hyerin asks Siyeon who nods, Kai smiles to assure his mate that they’ll be back soon. They hug for a while before she lets him go to gather in a circle with the others.

“Ready?” Hyerin asks Chanyeol who nods and she looks at the others, they all seem ready. She then closes her eyes and held out her hands to create a portal for them to get to where Hana is. In a matter of seconds, they arrived in a dark and gloomy place, colder than the usual spring air. They all look around to see where they are, only Hyerin whose eyes focused on a cave a couple foot away from them. She can sense the huge power that cave is absorbing a huge amount of power.

“No, wait….”

Luhan looks around and then his eyes focused on the cave, sensing a huge amount of power drawn to the cave, he then turns to Hyerin who looks at him and nods.

“She’s there, in the dorcha. The darkness of Neo is there with the last standing member of the clan.” Hyerin says, the guys look surprised although they knew this is coming. Chanyeol tilts his head, doesn’t get what she’s saying. Hyerin looks at Chanyeol, “The Neo is supposed to be 23 people, not 22. One of them still alive, he’s the barista in that café where Hana used to work in the Otherworld.” she explains to get him up to what she knows.

“Why didn’t we sense his power? We should be able to identify them, anyone who lived from the Sphere are identifiable to one another.” Chen asks, doesn’t understand the revelation. “He’s been feeding from the Dark Well, that is the source of black magic. They could do anything to camouflage, I’m sorry. I should have sensed it sooner,” she apologizes to Chanyeol who just smiles faintly.

“It’s not your fault, the important thing is we get Hana back and kill this bastard to end it all for once, right?” they all nod, agree with that the tall males says. They start to walk upon the cave, trying to locate Hana as soon as possible.

Suddenly a loud thud is heard, they all look around for the sound. Suddenly a rain of fire coming towards them, Suho and Xiumin quickly moves forward to deal with it. Hyerin put a shield all round them to protect them. Then, a couple of faceless people come to attack them. The group divide to fight them, they suspect it’s the people from Neo under the dark spell by whoever mastermind everything. They don’t have a face and all dressed in black. They somehow become more powerful than the usual creature and it takes a lot of effort for the group to fight them off.

Hyerin senses that it’s almost time for the eclipse. Yeri’s right, it takes more than the usual amount of power for her to fight. But that won’t keep her from fighting off the dark creatures, most of them are already beaten by the group and a couple more appears out of nowhere. Baekhyun looks around as he knocks off two people, he tells the group to close their eyes before blasting the enemy with intense light.

“You guys okay?” everyone nods as they see that they’ve manage to knock them all, suddenly someone is clapping for them while approaching them. Hyerin knows who is it.

“Impressive team effort all around, also it is amazing that you found me this fast.” the barista that they’ve seen in the café shows himself to the group, “Yuta.” the male seems taken aback to hear Hyerin knows his name but he only smirks. “You’ve done your research well, I like an opponent who researched before the battle.” Yuta folds his arms.

“Where is she? Let her go!” Chanyeol commands him but Yuta only scoffs.

“What if I don’t want to? But it is kind of useless for you to find her now…. The thing about dorcha is the longer I hold people here, the harder it is for you to get them completely back. I think you know that,” Yuta shrugs as if it’s normal for him to say it. But looking at the number of faceless creatures attacked them earlier, his words are true.

“She’s your mate, I knew that. Why do you think I spent time in the boring Otherworld all these times, working as a barista when I don’t even need food? The Dark Well feed me well enough, strong enough to sense a descendant of the 13th Creator around me.” Yuta adds, Hyerin eyeing him as he takes a look on all of them.

“Yeah, but you certainly know nothing about us.” Hyerin provokes him, she steps forward from the group. Yuta looks at her but then laughs, “You think I don’t know you? Or what you did seven years ago?” Yuta fires back at her and everyone gasp. Hyerin furrows her brows at the mention of that specific time, Yuta then raises his right hand and a sleeping Hana is seen. She’s so pale, all the colors from her face are drained and she doesn’t look good.

“LET HER GO!” Chanyeol yells but Yuta doesn’t pay attention to him, he instead looks at Hyerin. “She was supposed to be dead seven years ago, I know that. The Exile can be a great place for studying your opponent too.” Hyerin throws him a glare, “What I did have nothing to do with you so you should let her go, if you want me, take me instead. But you won’t be able to do that aren’t you?” Hyerin doesn’t fall to his trap.

“No, I can’t. But I can do this,”

Yuta raises his left arm to point at the other guys and in an instant, they are floating in the air, strangled by his magic.

“And she’s long dead anyway, I’ve fed her off to the inmates of Exile. There’s no point for you to live anymore,” Yuta smirks as his strangle on the boys harden.

“NO!!!”

Chanyeol screams but that only makes the grip on him hardening, he takes a look at Hana in the other end. He doesn’t want to lose her, Hyerin can hear it from his mind. He’s begging her to help them, begging. Yuta wants him to shut up so he tightened the cord on Chanyeol and the latter instantly goes unconscious.

“,”

Hyerin glares at Yuta but she can feel her power weaking, the eclipse is happening. “Oh, and today is eclipse. The mighty crystallite can’t function well in eclipse, right? Ohh, that’s too bad.” Yuta snarls.

The guys try their best to let themselves go but they’re in Yuta’s territory. The longer he stays there, the more powerful he become and the less powerful the rest of them are. Dorcha is absorbing their power slowly, the longer they’re there while using their powers, the harder it is for them to break free from the dark.

Hyerin looks at her friends and Hana, all floating in the air, strangled. She closes her eyes to gather the energy she has left, trying to generate as much power as she could to break them all free.

“One thing that you should know about me, I’ve learnt my lesson from losing my parents and all the Elders. I won’t let you take my friends,”

“But I’ll make sure you pay for the death of my brothers. THEY’RE THE ONLY PEOPLE I HAVE LEFT AND YOUR ELDERS HAVE THE AUDACITY TO KILL THEM?!”

Hyerin scoffs at the statement, “YOU AND YOUR BROTHERS ARE DEMONS, you aren’t supposed to live with us in The Sphere. You eat from the Dark Well might as well live in the Exile. You don’t deserve the honor to live in this realm, ever.” she fights him back as she takes a step closer towards him.

“Try me,”

Yuta creates a root-like-cord around the guys and Hana before attacking Hyerin with everything he has. The eclipse is at its peak, he knows that Hyerin’s power is weakening but she doesn’t let it stop her. She uses every power she has left, chased him and fight him back. At one point, he manages to make her trapped with another cord.

“I guess this is farewell, huh?” Yuta smirks as he holds a double-edged blade in his hand, ready to stab Hyerin whenever he wants. Hyerin laughs, “I guess you really don’t know about me, ready?” Yuta furrows at the last sentence but then realizes something. He turns around to see the real Hyerin smirking behind him.

“Goodbye,”

Hyerin says before giving him a huge amount of light. Yuta roars as his eyes blasted by the light, his power is weakening on both Hana and the boys as the cord loosening. She looks at Kris who nods, as soon as the strangle on them loosening, he breaks them all free and takes Hana with them before creating a huge shield.

“NOO!!! NO!!!!” Yuta screams as he feels strangled by the light.

Hyerin puts her right hand on Yuta’s head and her left hand on his chest, trying to disintegrate him once for all, destroying the dark crux on his hand. The cave is destroyed and no longer a cave as it breaks apart. Hyerin slowly goes down and look at the eclipse, she feels a lot weaker but she knows her job isn’t done yet.

“Hana-ah…. Hana, please, wake up! Hana…..” Chanyeol tries to wake her but no respond at all, he’s also losing much power as Yuta tightened the cord around his body to absorb as many powers as it could. as Lay looks at Hyerin who nods, “Come on, we need to get you back to the Palace. Then I can treat Hana, okay?” Hyerin whispers to Chanyeol who cries at the sight of his mate being almost lifeless. There’s no way Lay can heal her.

With Kai help, they all back to the Palace and with much persuasion, Chanyeol let himself being treated while Hyerin takes Hana to her room.

“Oh gosh….”

Siyeon can’t hide her shock after seeing the lifeless Hana being laid down on the table, “Warm her up, I need to bring her back.” Hyerin tells her. The younger crystallite nods before taking another look at Hyerin. She then realizes something, “No, you can’t…. Hyerin, please.” Siyeon knows the amount of power that Hyerin used back in dorcha and how weak she is right now but the older female only smiles at her.

“I’m fine, get her ready. I need to see the guys first,” she assures her before leaving Siyeon to take care of Hana first.

She walks to the big hall where the boys are being treated by other crystallites or even by Lay himself. He smiles as soon as he sees her walking to the room, he’s treating the big cut on Chen’s arm. She greets them before walking to see the others, Baekhyun is laying down on the bed. He’s not hurt badly but he is drained, his power is way more useful to fight off the darkness so he’s burnt out. Hyerin approaches him as she takes a seat right beside him. He opens his eyes to look at her, “How are you?” she chuckles at the question as she takes his left hand to reenergize him.

“Fine, definitely burnt out too but I can hold it.” she answers, the male doesn’t look satisfied with her answer because he knows how exactly she feels. Hyerin keep holding his hand while transferring some of her power to him so that he’ll recover soon. He puts his right hand on top of hers, she looks at him. “Don’t….” he whispers because no one needs to hear what he’s going to say next, but Sehun quickly looks at the two from another side of the room as he hears it clearly. Hyerin flashes him a smile before walking away to see Kyungsoo and Luhan.

“Are you okay?” Hyerin asks Luhan who’s closing his eyes with Kyungsoo right beside him doing nothing but waiting for the wound on his left arm to heal after being treated earlier.

“Yeah, definitely sore though. Haven’t been through that for a while,” Luhan murmurs because he’s sleepy, Hyerin chuckles at the sight. “How about you? There was an eclipse, Rin.” Kyungsoo turns to the woman standing in front of him. Hyerin shrugs, “Definitely burnt out, I’ve used all my power, I think I need to recharge.” she adds. Hyerin holds both their right hand to help them heal faster before walking again to see Sehun.

“What were you and Baekhyun talking about?”

Sehun asks as she puts her hand over the wound on his left shoulder, “I should’ve stop doing that with him, I knew you’d hear it.” Hyerin murmurs. Sehun sighs, “Please take care of yourself too, you’re tired. We all know that,” he looks at her in the eye to tell her that she really needs to rest. Hyerin shrugs it off after seeing the wound healing itself pretty fast.

“Worry about yourself first, I can recover faster.” she says but Sehun furrows his brows, doubting her statement. “Your vein’s not visible anymore, Rin. You need to rest now,” Hyerin puts her index in front of , signing him to keep it a secret before walking away to see the unconscious Chanyeol.

Hyerin walks over to him as Lay approaches her from the other side of Chanyeol’s bed. “I sedate him, put him to sleep. Yuta really absorb half of his power and seeing Hana being soulless must have taken half of him away. Sorry,” Lay apologizes but Hyerin shakes her head.

“I’d do the same if I were you, thank you.” she thanks him before holding Chanyeol’s hand to heal whatever broke him and clear any misery he has inside. Baekhyun stands to see what she’s doing. The other crystallites have left the room and only the boys with Hyerin left in that room.

She closes her eyes as she recites a sentence that only a crystallite would recite when they’re mending a half-broken soul. It took tremendous power to heal someone’s soul especially after it’s been broken by the darkness, Hyerin closes her eyes tightly even though she starts to feel weak as if she’s going to faint. As soon as she manages to bring all the pieces of Chanyeol’s soul back, she stops but still holding his hand. The boys look how tired she is but can’t do anything to stop her from doing her job, they know that she would not listen to whatever they’re about to say.

Hyerin looks at the peacefully sleeping guy while smiling, she fixes his hair before let his hand go and stands up. She turns around to see the guys stand up for her, she smiles before walking to leave the room.

“If he wakes up before I manage to get Hana back, distract him, just don’t let him see Hana in this state. I might need the whole night to get her back before telling the Rulers what happened.” they all nods in agreement and she leaves the hall to let them rest. She walks to where Hana is being treated, Siyeon has been trying to keep her warm but the girl still unresponsive, probably almost more than half of her soul still stuck in the dark.

Siyeon looks at Hyerin when the older female arrives, Hyerin sighs softly as she sees the state Hana is in. “What are you going to do?” Siyeon asks as Hyerin hold Hana’s cold hand, “I need to get her back, now. There might be no time left if I didn’t do it now. I’ll do it myself so you should be with them,” Siyeon is about to say something before Hyerin shakes her head. “Now, Yeon.” Hyerin’s firm tone is a sign for Siyeon to leave the room, the younger female looks at her for one more time before leaving the room.

After being left all alone, Hyerin looks at Hana, the colors from her face has disappeared and as the night goes, there’s only a couple hours left for her to save Chanyeol’s mate. She can’t risk the short time period to recharge but there’s something she can do. A light appears above her and she looks up, Yeri smiles weakly, “Are you sure?” the fairy asks. Hyerin takes one last look at Hana before nodding to Yeri as a response. “I am,” Yeri sighs before nodding and retreating.

Hyerin moves a couple steps away from Hana and then put her right hand to her chest. She opens her eyes and found herself in the middle of a huge flower field. She looks around to find the person she needs to see the most.

“You’re here,”

Hyerin turns around to see the voice owner and then smiles when she recognizes it, “I’m sorry that you have to see me this soon.” Hyerin apologizes. She walks closer and then stands right in front of the person she needs to talk to.

“What’s your wish then?”

Hyerin smiles at the question.

Chanyeol opens his eyes, he looks around as he gathers his mind to realizes where he is. The bright sun signaling that it’s morning already and he slept through the night. He quickly shoots up when he remembers about Hana, “Woahh…. Dude, calm down.” Tao and Lay quickly hold him.

“Where’s Hana? Where is she? How is she? Is—”

“She’s fine and asleep so you need to take more sleep before you meet her.”

Chanyeol turns to see Hyerin walking with Baekhyun towards his bed, “So she’s….” Hyerin smiles as she nods. “She’s alive but need a lot of sleep, so do you. All of you do,” Hyerin turns to Baekhyun who shrugs as if he doesn’t hear it.

“Yeah, you need to stop distracting her. She must be tired,” Suho says to Baekhyun while walking with a tray of food for Chanyeol who just wakes up.

“Are you okay?” Xiumin whispers slowly so that Chanyeol who’s being feed by the guys doesn’t hear it, “More than okay, don’t worry about me.” Hyerin smiles at the male.

“Where’s Kai? Usually, he’d run in whenever foods present,” Tao looks around to find the said male, “Nah, he has someone way more important than a tray of foods now which reminds me that uncles and aunties ask me to take you up to see Eros if by the next three Spring Bloom the rest of you don’t find your mate. People, please.” Xiumin remembers what the Rulers asked him a couple times before. Out of the twelve, only Xiumin, Luhan, Chanyeol, and Kai who has found their mate.

“Yeah, about that….” Lay looks around, the same as the rest to avoid the eldest’s glare, Hyerin laughs at them. “Yeah, you guys need to find your mate fast, stop playing around and make a commotion in my class.” she says.

They keep talking while eating, filling in some information and updates for Chanyeol too. Hyerin has updated what happened to their parents, the Rulers. It is her responsibility to inform them and she was the only one who already wakes up at seven in the morning too. The Rulers can’t stop thanking her and mention countless times how grateful they are for all of her help. Chanyeol’s mom even hugs her for so long to thank her for saving both her son and her soon-to-be daughter-in-law. Everyone knows if someone’s mate passed away or died in an unfortunate way, the other half would go straight for to the Mourning Fields in the afterlife and won’t be able to meet their half. Anyone would want to be with their mate even in the afterlife so it means a lot for Hyerin to save both Chanyeol and Hana with all power she has left. The Lady of the Fire’s hug reminds her of her past relationship with Chanyeol and his family. They’re always so warm and welcoming, treating her like their own family member. When she was mourning for her parents, Chanyeol’s parents never forget to visit her in the morning, which made her feel like she still has her parents around. His mother is always so kind and loving, always loves showering her with cookies and cute stuff she found during her walk in the city.

Hyerin then tells the boys to go home, Chanyeol doesn’t want to leave Hana but she tells him that his mate will be fine in the Palace with her.

“Come on, she needs more rest and accompanied by the strongest crystallite. What more reassurance do you need?”

Suho says with the other guys supporting his statement to Chanyeol, Hyerin smiles as she nods. “Yeah, I’ll bring her back as soon as she’s fit enough. I promise,” Chanyeol looks at Hyerin for a while before finally nods, agreeing with her suggestion to go and take a rest at home. The guys then bid farewell to both Hyerin and Siyeon, they need to recharge well at their own Houses. Hyerin keeps an eye on them until they disappear from the Palace’s ground.

“She’s stable?” she asks Siyeon as they walk back to the Palace, “Yeah, she’s just asleep for now. I think she’ll be awake in an hour or two.” Siyeon informs her while greeting some other people who pass them. Hyerin hums as she gets ready to teach a class but then she realizes Siyeon keeps looking at her, “What?” she chuckles while looking for something in her drawer.

“I don’t know…. You seem glowing? Happy? Relieved? Is that it?” Hyerin laughs as she pulls out a book from her drawer, “I feel amazing, so you should go because you too have class to teach.” Siyeon huffs at the mention of her duty but then bids goodbye to her to get ready. Hyerin looks out to the dazzling blue sky from her window, the bright blue sky makes her happier than ever. It feels as if the sky also knows how hard has it been for them especially Chanyeol.

Hyerin leaves her room to her class, “Hello everyone, please settle down.” the younger crystallites listen to her obediently. She begins the class as usual and gives more attention for those who still struggling, the youngers always love Hyerin’s class. She takes more time and attention for each of them, remembering their names even though there’s a lot of them. Hyerin always makes sure that the younger crystallites still get the same love and warm home that she had before the Elders passed away. She finishes the class and lets all the students leave the class, spending the rest of their day with their own activities.

Hyerin walks around, seeing the babies in the care of other crystallites. She talks with them while making sure the babies are well. As she walks back to her study room, she touches her necklace that reminds her of something. She needs to pay a visit to a friend.

“Oh, Hyerin!”

Hyerin looks at Baekhyun’s mother who’s walking with his brother’s wife, Minha, she smiles at them both as she walks towards them. The elder female pulls her for a hug before letting her go but still holding her arms.

“What are you doing here?” the lady asks, “I need to see Baekhyun, is he here?” Hyerin asks with both women nod to their response. “I heard about what happened, are you okay?” Minha asks worriedly, Hyerin nods with a smile. “Don’t worry, I recover fast.” the three of them laughs together, “Well, we’re all thankful for you. We’ll always be indebted towards crystallites.” Baekhyun’s mother says but Hyerin shakes her head in disagreement. “No one will ever be indebted towards us, it’s our job, well it’s mine.” Hyerin assures them that it’s okay.

They start to catch up about what they’ve been doing, Hyerin doesn’t really go to see the Rulers from the other Houses so they rarely meet. Minha also give more updates about her children and how Baekhyun has been pampering his nephew and niece. Hyerin knows that, he loves children more than anything else. He’d take them to walk around or go sightseeing in the center of Beatha.

“So, what now? Are you missing me?”

The three of them turn to see Baekhyun walking with his sleepy niece on his arm, Hyerin rolls her eyes at the statement. Minha takes over her daughter from Baekhyun, “Baekho is making a fuss in the kitchen so I think you should go see him, sis.” Baekhyun tells Minha and the sister-in-law just sighs at the mention of her son. “Alright then, we should stop that child now. See you later, Hyerin-ah.” Baekhyun’s mother smiles at Hyerin before leaving with Minha.

Baekhyun raises his brows at Hyerin who still hasn’t answered his question earlier, Hyerin chuckles as they walk to the garden.

“I’ve been thinking about what you asked, that thing.” Baekhyun quickly turns his head to look at her and stops his tracks, “I’ve asked to those above and you’re right, it’s not cheating only if you wait.” Hyerin points at him because she knows Baekhyun is eager to do anything new.

“So, you will do it?” Baekhyun asks her, making sure they’re on the same page. Hyerin rolls her eyes before nodding, “Yeah, but you have to be patient. Okay?” Hyerin repeats the same rule she tells him before. Baekhyun’s face lit up and Hyerin just shakes her head in disbelief at how easy it is to make him happy, “Hold my hand,” Hyerin says and the male smirks. “Oh, honey, when did I not hold your hand?” Hyerin grinches at his reply but let him get away with it anyway.

Baekhyun has been asking about looking way into the future to see his mate, he hasn’t really thinking about finding his mate but his parents’ persuasion to go to any party to find his isn’t helpful anyway. Also, the fact that his brother already found his mate and now have a family, his parents have more than enough reason to push him. He mentioned about this to Hyerin a few times but she isn’t sure about it, afraid that it’ll change it and he’s not her protégé so she doesn’t know the procedure about all of it. So, she asked Yeri to find the answer and made contact with those who lives in Elysium. They said she has flawless precognition, she’ll be able to see the exact future with no mistakes even if someone did something to change or alter the future, it won’t have any effects because she already predicts it.

“Oh!”

Hyerin chuckles at Baekhyun who now know who’s his mate it, he looks at Hyerin who shrugs. When they’re back to the present time, Baekhyun needs a few seconds to absorb what they’ve seen. “It’s her? HER?!” Hyerin laughs at his reaction, “I told you it won’t be me and it will be someone who absolutely stunning.” she quips. Baekhyun still processing everything and want to jump around like crazy but Hyerin raises her index finger at him to stop him.

“Oh God, thank you! Thank you! I won’t die alone then,” Hyerin laughs at the last sentence, “Nope, no one will.” she shakes her head.

“But you said you’ll never do it, why now? What are you planning on? Are you leaving me?” Hyerin gets use to Baekhyun’s dramatic side, the male is always dramatic at telling story and responding.

“Because you deserve to see it and I don’t know who’s your guardian is so I can’t just make you find yours and then asks that person.” Hyerin shrugs and Baekhyun pulls her for a hug, “You know, my mom thought we’d better off together but I told her I can’t have you because you’re probably not my mate and….. you’re wayyyy out of my league.” Hyerin pulls off from the hug but still in his embrace to throw him a questioning look.

“Honey, you are an amazing woman who manage to lead others when you, yourself, feel helpless. You gave The Sphere hope after the death of the Elders while I’m here making mess around the house and sometimes complain about having to do my job with my brother. So yeah, you are way out of my league.”

Hyerin smiles at his words, she hugs him one more time before they pull out of the hug. “So, dinner later?” Baekhyun asks but she shakes her head, “Sorry, Hana’s probably awake now so I need to take her back to Chanyeol’s house. See you tomorrow?” he nods at the suggestion and she bids him goodbye. Siyeon leaves the ground of the House of Light, walking back to the Palace to check on Hana because she’s sure she must be awake by now.

True to that, when she reaches the room where Hana is in, she sees the said woman talking with Siyeon who seems has been accompanying her. Several empty cups and plates signing that Hana has eaten, good sign of recovery.

“Hyerin!”

Siyeon turns to see Hyerin smiles as she closes the door, “I see that you’re fully awake now, do you feel any discomfort?” Hyerin asks while walking towards them. Hana shakes her head, “You guys are a wonder, I feel good and in fact more energetic than before.” she smiles. “She has eaten two full plate and several cups of teas, she’s good to go.” Siyeon informs Hyerin and the older female nods along, “I’ll be keeping an eye on you so don’t worry. No problems, just a precaution, to make sure you’re really okay. If you feel anything weird or uncomfortable, you have to tell me, okay?” Hana nods in understanding manner.

“Ready to go home?” Hyerin asks while offering her hand to the smaller female, Hana smiles as she nods and takes her hand. Both Hyerin and Siyeon takes Hana to Chanyeol’s house, their arrival surely creates a buzz as they’re back with Hana.

“Hana!”

Chanyeol half-running towards his mate, he surely misses her a lot. Chanyeol’s family welcomes Hyerin and Siyeon while thanking them again for the hundredth time.

“He won’t stop fussing around because you’re not here, thank you, both of you. Especially you, Hyerin-ah.” Chanyeol’s mother hugs both Hyerin and Siyeon, “It’s our job, auntie.” Hyerin smiles at them while watching Chanyeol holding Hana close to him. He must be really missing her, Hana was dead after all. She was way deep in the dark that Hyerin uses all her power to get her soul back. A broken soul could be mended by any crystallite but for Hana’s case, Hyerin’s the only one who can heal her because it needs more than the usual power they have. Almost losing his mate to the darkness must have taken a toll on Chanyeol and of course on his family too.

“Would you like to stay for dinner? It would be great if we have dinner together once in a while,” Chanyeol’s father asks both Hyerin and Siyeon who shakes to the offer, “I’m sorry uncle, I should take care of several things in the Palace and Siyeon’s going to have a dinner next door.” Hyerin slightly tilts her head towards Kai’s house. Chanyeol’s parents nod along, “Ah, right. They must be really happy to have you joining their family,” Chanyeol’s sister says to Siyeon who just laughs at the remark.

“Shouldn’t you find yours too, Rin? After all, we’ll need our mate in our life.” Chanyeol’s mother playfully asks but the said crystallite just smiles, “Well, maybe I’ll find mine after all of these. There’s a lot to do, auntie. I’ll make sure I tell you after I found mine,” the old lady put her thumbs up to the suggestion.

“Well, we should be get going now. Remember, if you feel anything you have to tell anyone, I’ll come right to you even if it’s in the middle of the night. And you, sir, take a rest. I’ll make sure to look into you too tomorrow,” Hyerin says to both Chanyeol and Hana, “Of course, don’t worry. Now that she’s here again, I could sleep peacefully.” Chanyeol turns to Hana who just shakes her head at his cheesiness. Hyerin smiles, remembers how he used to look at her that way. But it’s all in the past, her main job is to protect him and her.

Both Hyerin and Siyeon then excuses themselves before bidding goodbye to the family, leaving the House of Fire’s ground. Siyeon takes a glance at Hyerin before sighing, the older female knows what she’s thinking.

“You’re thinking too loud, I can hear it too clear.”

Siyeon chuckles at Hyerin’s comment, “I know it must be hard for you to see him and someone else, I just… I just want you to know that you can tell me everything you feel. You don’t always have to be strong all the time, sis. I’m your sister after all,” Siyeon stops her track as Hyerin follow suit.

Hyerin smiles at the younger female who’s really concern about her well-being, “I remember that, you don’t have to worry. I’ll tell you everything I feel when there’s nothing to do.” Hyerin says but Siyeon know it’s impossible because there’s always something to do. Hyerin tilts her head as if she’s looking at someone coming at them, Siyeon turns around and sees Kai walking towards them.

“Are you joining us for dinner?” Kai asks Hyerin as he puts his arms around Siyeon’s waist, Hyerin shakes her head in response and Kai looks at her worriedly. “There’s a couple things to do so you enjoy your dinner at his house, I’ll be eating with the kids.” Hyerin assuring him that she’s okay, “Alright then, see you tomorrow.” Hyerin nods and let the couple to walk away after they bid goodbye.

Hyerin walks back to the Palace and greets the other crystallites as they’re about to have dinner, she sits with the others and asks them about how their days are. The younger crystallites always so chatty and cheerful, whether it’s early in the morning or late night. Hyerin loves talking with them especially during dinner, she’d likely avoid heavy topics with crystallites her age but it doesn’t mean she hates them. She just feels whether it’s breakfast, lunch, or dinner should be filled with easy and light topics. After the dinner and just like many other nights, Hyerin takes out a bottle of merlot and a glass to drink it on her balcony while looking at Beatha. Spending the rest of the night thinking and pondering.

“No headache, heart race, dizziness, anything?”

Hana shakes her head at Hyerins’s question, the crystallite looks at Lay who shakes his head to confirm Hana’s answer.

“Alright, we don’t need to worry about any after-effect then. You’re as healthy as a horse,” Hyerin smiles and the other female smiles at her diagnose. Hyerin stands up and then realizes that the other males in that room also stands up.

“Stop following me,” Hyerin puts her arms together in front of her chest, looking at the guys. “You’re going to see the babies now, right?” Sehun looks very excited with the question because he already knows the answer. Hyerin chuckles at the question because she knows what they want, “If you like babies so much, you should go and make yours.” she raises her brows at them who groans at the meaning of her sentence. “Nope, you won’t love babies that much after you have your own. Not after waking up every three hours at night,” Xiumin shakes his head, “That’s why we love the baby crystallites,” Tao raises his hands follows by others’ nod. Hyerin shakes her head but then turn to Hana, “You haven’t seen them sunbathing before, right? We should be taking them out now,” Hyerin looks at the clock. Hana shakes her head excitedly, “Can we tag along?” she asks, almost like pleading.

Sehun and the others also looking at Hyerin, the female just sighs as she nods. They all clap excitedly and begin to follow her to the Palace. Hyerin rarely lets anyone other than the crystallites to tag along to see the babies. But she does make a lot of exception for her friends. When they reach the Palace, the babies have been taken out to the garden for morning sunbathing. They keep walking to the garden where the flowers use to grow. The new flowers grow on the first week of autumn and then bloom on spring. Siyeon is already playing with the crystal blood baby, she quickly waves at Hyerin and the others as soon as she sees the group walk to the garden.

“Is it a he or a she?”

Lay asks when Hyerin takes over the baby from Siyeon’s hold, “He, his name is Sunwoo.” the others nod along as they keep looking at the small baby.

“He’s so adorable, oh god.” Hana keeps waving at the baby who giggles at anything they say, “Do you want to hold him?” offers Hyerin to which Hana nods rapidly. Hana takes Sunwoo to her arms and then keep looking at the baby, “You know we can have our own if you want to,” Chanyeol whispers but loud enough for the others to hear.

“EW!”

“Oh gosh, not here.”

“Why do we let them flirting here?”

Siyeon and Hyerin laugh at the complaints but the couple doesn’t seem to care about their surroundings, “Alright, suit yourself here but don’t make a fuss.” Hyerin says before leaving the group to look around. Baekhyun looks at her as she walks away and decides to tag along while the others keep watching Sunwoo while hitting Chanyeol for his endless flirt with Hana.

“How did you recover this fast?”

Baekhyun asks Hyerin after she talks with another crystallite who’s holding a baby. Hyerin doesn’t directly answer his question but keep walking while talking with several crystallites until they’re quite far from the group. She turns around and keep an eye on the group, “I didn’t recover, I haven’t recovered.” she answers and Baekhyun lets out a frustrated groan at the answer.

“I should have known, there’s no way you could recover this fast when you needed a week to recover from that thing years ago.” Baekhyun mentions about when she erases people’s memory about her and Chanyeol. Hyerin just let out a laugh, “Well, I’m just doing my job. Besides, it’s my duty to keep him safe, to keep them save. Your well-being is also my main concern but here we are safe and sound, that’s the only important thing now.” Hyerin replies as she watches the group playing with Sunwoo.

Baekhyun takes a look at her, trying to see what she’s hiding. But just like the past couple of weeks, he can’t find anything. Hyerin takes her eyes off the group to look at Baekhyun, “Stop worrying about me and start worrying about when you’ll see her. I hear your parents been nagging a lot for you to do something,” Hyerin quips but Baekhyun groans at the mention of his parents’ demand. He then starts telling her about what extend his mother did to make him find his mate and that he hasn’t tell them that he knows already who’s his mate is. He then continues to talk about his nephew and niece who are growing fast.

“It feels just like yesterday I held them with both of my hands. Now I can’t even handle one of them by myself,”

Hyerin laughs at his demonstration how small they were and how big they are now. Baekhyun enjoys being with children and loves pampering them. He even plays with his nephew and niece more often than his busy brother. She keeps listening to him, giving him full attention to what he’s telling her. She keeps looking at him and then he stops mid-story to look at her.

“What? Why are you looking at me like that?” Baekhyun raises his brows at her but Hyerin just laughs, “You’re a great uncle, you’d make a great dad.” she shrugs as she says what she’s been thinking. Baekhyun just chuckles at the remark, “And you’ll be the best aunt and mom anyone ever has, come on, you’ve been raising them all.” Baekhyun puts up his arms to show the crystallites around them.

“It’s a team work, we, I didn’t do it by myself. But you took time to actually play with your niece and nephew even though you’re tired.” Hyerin nudges him as she remembers his mother’s story the other day, “Thank you, back at you.” he replies to the comment.

“Well, are you guys having lunch here? It’s almost lunch time,” Hyerin looks at the clock and Baekhyun turn to the same direction, “Of course, that’s why we’re here!” he quickly nods at the question. She just rolls her eyes before calling the whole group to go have a lunch at the dining hall and let the babies to sleep.

“I knew you’ll be here,”

Hyerin turns around to see Siyeon closes the door behind her and joining her on the balcony. “Baekhyun said you’ve been out here a lot,” she stands beside the older crystallite who’s looking over Beatha with a glass in her hand.

“Care to join?”

Hyerin raises her glass at Siyeon who just chuckles at the offer, “You’ll never drink by yourself unless you’re thinking about something. Tell me, sis.” Siyeon pours a glass for herself and rejoin Hyerin looking over the whole town. Hyerin doesn’t respond but keep on drinking, she’s assembling sentences in her head. Trying to figure out what to tell the younger female because she doesn’t have much time left. Hyerin takes a big gulp of her drink before taking a glance at Siyeon who still enjoying the view of Beatha in the night.

“You know what’s my biggest fear ever since kid?”

Siyeon turns at the question, “Your nightmare?” Hyerin nods as she puts down her glass on the small table near them.

“I’ve been dreaming about dying since I was seven, you know that. I never understand about it until my ascension. That my job wasn’t just about protecting my protégé but also all of you, keeping all of us safe.” Hyerin adds, Siyeon turns to look at her completely. Focuses on what her sister about to say, Hyerin looks at her with a smile.

“But I’m grateful to have you and the guys, also Hana. So, thank you.” Siyeon chuckles at the thank you, “Aw, what is this? You don’t need to say thank you, there’s no need to thank among family.” she smiles brightly at Hyerin. The older crystallite just chuckles and then pulls Siyeon to a hug, taken the latter by surprise for a moment. Siyeon puts down her glass and then hugs her too, “Thank you, really.” Hyerin whispers and Siyeon feels her shoulder getting wet.

“Hey, Rin. Why are—”

Siyeon’s smile replaces with a worried expression when she realizes something. She pushes Hyerin away and sees the girl on her embrace has gone. Siyeon holds one of Hyerin’s arms and can’t feel a pulse, she looks at the now no longer breathing female.

“No…. No, no, no….” she murmurs while trying to wake Hyerin up, shaking her, trying to get a response from her but to no avail. “No…. Hyerin….” she sobs while holding the dear sister to her embrace, not wanting to let her go.

Back in his house, Kai senses Siyeon is crying. He puts down the card he’s playing with Sehun and Tao to look at the Palace, Sehun stands up and they exchange gaze.

“What?”

Tao senses something is wrong, “Hyerin….” Sehun murmurs and the three of them quickly leave the room. Baekhyun who’s already on the way to the Palace when he senses something wrong meets them and they quickly run to the Palace.

“Please, don’t….” Baekhyun whispers to himself as they walk up the stairs to get where Siyeon and Hyerin are.

As soon as Kai opens the door, they look at Siyeon crying over Hyerin with the older crystallite still in her embrace. The look on Siyeon’s face tell everything and Baekhyun feels as if his world is falling apart.

“No, no, no. This can’t be it….”

Sehun trying to hold himself up by holding on the nearby desk, “No….” Baekhyun approaches Hyerin to take her to his embrace. “No, Hyerin... Wake up, please. Hyerin-ah….” he whispers between his sobs but know there’s no use of that. Her soul already leaves her body and there’s no way to resurrect a crystallite.

Kai pulls Siyeon for a hug while Tao trying to calm Sehun down. Siyeon’s sobbing on her mate’s embrace and soon put the pieces together. Now she understands what’s happening. Hyerin trades her life for saving them all.

Flashback

“You’re here,”

Hyerin turns around to see the voice owner and then smiles when she recognizes it, “I’m sorry that you have to see me this soon.” Hyerin apologizes. She walks closer and then stands right in front of the person she needs to talk to.

“What’s your wish then?”

Hyerin smiles to the question, “You know what I need, I just have one more wish.” she answers to the deity right in front of her. “Give me two days, I’ll make sure to put everything in its place. Just two days,” she adds.

“I can give you more than two days, are you sure?”

Hyerin nods, “If I stay any longer, I’d never want to leave but I have no right to stay. We all seen this coming, well, at least I do.” the deity sighs at her answer.

“Fine, thank you, really. Everyone in the afterlife would like to thank you for what you’ve done and I know it’s not easy. I’m sure The One owes you an apology for doing this.”

Hyerin laughs, “Thank you, I guess I’ll see you soon then?” the deity nods sadly. Hyerin bows before she gets back to where she keeps Hana. She looks at Hana again before putting both of her hands on top of her to mend her soul with the last energy she has. To bring her back to life and heals her. As soon as she hears Hana’s breathing, she smiles. She did it, she saved her.

-----

The bell on the Palace is ringing, signing a crystallite’s death. All the rulers and people who’ve heard quickly go to the Palace. Chanyeol and Hana comes along with the other guys, “Where’s Baekhyun?” Chanyeol asks Kyungsoo who shrugs at the question. “I haven’t seen Kai, Sehun, or Tao either. Where the hell are they?” Suho looks around but doesn’t manage to find the said guys. They keep walking to the Palace where carnations, lilies, and roses, flowers usually put up for funeral, have been put for decoration. A lot of crystallites look shaken up but no one knows whose funeral it is until Siyeon comes out in an official mourning clothes for the leader.

“No….”

One of the Rulers murmurs when they all see Siyeon welcoming them instead of Hyerin, Xiumin stops walking and exchanges glances with the other guys before running to see who’s laying on the crystal coffin. Siyeon let them and no one even try to stop them. As soon as they see it’s Hyerin, cries begin to be heard. Siyeon looks down but the Rulers come one by one to approach her, gives her a bow for condolences before pulling her for a hug. They understand the shock and how much responsibility that she has now that Hyerin’s gone.

“Oh, my child….” Kai’s mother whispers as she pulls her soon to be daughter in law for a hug, Siyeon cries in her embrace.

“Tell us whatever you need, okay? You don’t have to be shy, we’re all here to help you.” Baekhyun’s parents say to her and she nods to the offer.

Chanyeol can’t help but cries with Hana in his embrace, he just talked to Hyerin yesterday and now she’s gone. “No…. No, no….” he keeps saying it repeatedly, Chen patting his back to calm him down while holding his tears.

Baekhyun, Sehun, Kai, and Tao walk towards them, greeting them weakly. The other know they spent the night in the Palace, Baekhyun looks very tired. Lay approaches them to say something, Baekhyun shakes his head and keeps walking to the coffin and sees the person he loves the most laying on the coffin.

Siyeon takes a deep breath as she needs to announce the official mourning period, the process of the funeral, and many other things. She takes one last look on Hyerin before standing right facing the incoming visitors. Kai stands beside her to keep her steady and prepares if she breaks down in the middle of her speech. He nods and gives her a signal to start.

-----

“You want to see us?”

Luhan takes a peek at what used to be Hyerin’s study room where Siyeon’s waiting for them, the woman nods and Luhan signals the others to go in with him.

Siyeon smiles weakly at them as all twelve of the guys already present, Hana follows behind and closes the door. None of them have any energy left, they feel like half of their soul taken away to the afterlife. Seeing that everyone’s already present, Siyeon then walks to what used to be Hyerin’s desk. She takes out the box with ‘evermore’ written on it, placed it on top of the desk and opens it. She takes a final look at Chanyeol.

“Hyerin probably—Well, she must have already known what I’m about to do because she wrote it in the letter.” Siyeon gives the letter to Xiumin who find a letter with his name on the envelope. He then passes the box around until everyone got their own letter, including Hana.

“What I’m about to do next wouldn’t and shouldn’t change the way it is now, I just…. This is yours, so you have the right to know.”

Siyeon gives Chanyeol the necklace that Hyerin has been wearing, the guys look at Siyeon in shock. She nods to them all, signing that it’s okay.

Chanyeol furrows his brows at the necklace in his grip, he takes a look at Siyeon and she nods. As he tightens the grip on the necklace, memories stored in it flows right out. The first time he asked Hyerin out, their dates, travelling together, having dinner together, sleep over, the memories during the Neo Attack, the hugs, kisses, and ‘I love you’s they’ve said to each other. The last memory he saw is the apologize she made before erasing everything. He opens his eyes and look at Siyeon who’s sympathetically looking at him.

“I remember now…. I—Why….” Hana looks concern as she doesn’t know anything but holds his arm to calm him down.

“She has to, you’re her protégé. Whatever she did and done is all for you, the both of you.” Siyeon reminds Chanyeol of his mate, Hana, who’s right beside him. Chanyeol rubs Hana’s hold on his arm to calm himself down while telling the woman beside him it’s okay.

“So, you need to live for the both of you and also for her. She loves you dearly, loves all of us, so we have to live the lives she protects by trading it with her life. “Siyeon tells them all, Chanyeol still pretty shaken up while Baekhyun doesn’t have any energy left. He holds his letter in his hand, looking at the blue sky outside the window.

“She’s happier now,”

He murmurs but everyone can hear it, Siyeon smiles. “Indeed,” she nods along, everyone then opens their own letter to read it. Baekhyun walks to the balcony where he’d spend times with Hyerin, he looks at the leftover bottle of merlot and turns to his letter.

“Thank you for always be there for her when I couldn’t,”

Chanyeol says as he stands right beside Baekhyun in the balcony, the shorter male just smiles. “Don’t worry, she was happy and she’s happier now.”  Baekhyun replies while looking at the sky.

“I’m sure she does.”

Beatha = life

Charon = the ferryman of Hades who carries souls of the newly deceased across the river Styx that divided the world of the living from the world of the dead.

Firinn = truth

Minos = one of the three judges of the dead in the underworld.

Freagairt = answer

Aotrom = light

Teine = fire

Rionnag = star

Dorcha = dark


Hello there! As you know, I still have an unfinished story (HSS) but this idea has been lingering in my mind for soooo long that I need to get it out before the details are getting blurry in my mind. I really hope you enjoy this story, don’t forget to subs and leave a comment down below to let me know what you feel about the story^^ Anyway, this pandemic has been taking a toll on all of us and even though the vaccine rollout is getting wider, please don’t forget to keep your distance and maintain a good health protocol! This story is purely made of my endless repeat on Folklore and Evermore whole album, both albums definitely turn my imagination on another level hence the title lmao

A littleeee of shameless ads hehee I recently released a romance novel (in my native language, Indonesian) sooo goo ahead order it from this website:

ORDER MY NOVEL HERE!

DON’T FORGET TO KEEP STREAMING DFTF Y’ALL LETSGOOOO 100M VIEWSS!!

See you in HSS!