Lean on Me

Me Before You

 

Kang Sol A stretched her spine, finally, the lecture was over. It was kinda funny how a few years back she couldn’t answer her professor during his lecture but now she was giving her own. Granted, she only helped Prof. Yang whenever he held a Mock Court for his class. Nevertheless, she was proud to have come a long way, especially if you consider how becoming a Lawyer was not even part of her plans. It was a long journey, but being able to help people who were just like her before was fulfilling.

 

It was getting late and she needed to go home now if she wanted to catch a cab and didn't want to get stuck in traffic. She put her things into her bag and stood up. She said her goodbye to Prof. Yang so she went down from the podium and was about to exit the court unto the gallery when someone suddenly asked:

 

"Are you going home?" Joon Hwi asked. She just saw him talking to Prof. Yang and now he was suddenly here on the ground floor.

 

"Yes. It's getting pretty late, I don't wanna be stuck in traffic and I still have to catch a cab."

 

"What? A cab? What happened to your car?"

 

"I don't know. It suddenly broke this morning and suddenly stopped on the road. Good thing I was able to steer the car to the side of the road before it broke down."

 

"What!? Why didn't you call me? I would've picked you up!" He worriedly scolded her.

 

"Why are you getting angry!?"

 

"I'm not!"

 

"You are!"

 

"Ahem." Prof. Yang coughed, Sol A hadn’t even noticed that he was already near them.

 

They looked at him and saw that the other remaining students were watching their argument unfold.

 

Embarrassed, Sol A smiled and elbowed Joon Hwi who showed no outward reaction. Although he still looked upset.

 

"Sorry, Prof Yang."

 

Prof. Yang just raised an eyebrow at them and said, “I’ll see you again tomorrow.”

 

He then left them in the Mock Courtroom, the few students who stayed after class followed after him like baby ducks.

 

Left alone, silence permeated the room.

 

Joon Hwi sighed but still didn’t say anything.

 

Annoyed that she even felt guilty for not calling him, Sol A finally explained. “I didn’t call you because I knew you were at court.”

 

Although his anger had abated from the explanation he still couldn’t help rein his worry. Joon Hwi sighed again and asked her, “At least leave me a text or a voicemail when something like this happens.”

 

“Okay.” she just agreed.

 

“Where’s your car right now?”

 

“It’s in the workshop. I had to have it towed because it wouldn’t start anymore. The towing fee was expensive too.” Sol A grumbled.

 

“Why are you even worrying about the money? I told you to buy a brand new car instead of that junk.”

 

“What do you mean junk? It’s not! And it’s still working fine.” Sol A argued, then finally started walking again so that they could exit the Mock Courtroom. Joon Hwi followed her silently for a few minutes but then resumed arguing with her, but was now a bit mindful about his volume.

 

“No, it isn’t! The wipers broke three months ago, the windows hadn’t opened properly since a year ago, the car door handle sometimes wouldn’t work and now it’s breaking down?” he frustratingly listed all the things broken and wouldn’t work on her car. Sol A’s mouth dropped, she stopped walking and faced him.

 

They were now near the parking lot and were now finally given a bit more privacy as there were no other people around.

 

“Wha-? And how do you know that? I don’t remember telling you that!”

 

Joon Hwi didn’t even feel guilty and revealed, "I check on your car, okay? So that I know it’s safe.”

 

Sol A almost smiled but held it in, and just said “The car is still fine, I’ll go to the workshop tomorrow to check on it.”

 

Joon Hwi sighed, “The car is not ‘fine’. You need a new one.”

 

Sol A frowned, “There’s no need, it’s still working. I don’t need to buy a new one, it’s just going to be a waste of money.”

 

“I didn’t say you’re the one buying it. I’ll buy you a new car.”

 

“WHAT?” she shouted in surprise, her voice echoing in the parking lot. Sol A looked around, thankfully they were still the only ones in it. She hissed at Joon Hwi, “Are you crazy? Why would you buy me a car?”

 

“Why can’t I? I don’t know if you’ve forgotten but I’m your husband now, lean on me a little.” Joon Hwi pleaded with her.

 

Sol A deflated, “Sorry, it’s just…” she trailed off, “I just don’t want to be a burden to you.”

 

Joon Hwi sighed and grabbed her hand to pull her into an embrace. “You’ll never be a burden to me. In fact, it’ll probably never happen, ‘cause you’re too independent. I could even buy us a new house. Didn't you know? I'm rich." Joon Hwi wriggled his eyebrows at Sol A.

 

She chuckled and hit him on the shoulder, "You idiot. Why would we need a new house? The one that we're living in right now is enough."

 

Joon Hwi tightened his embrace before he jokingly said, “So, what do you think? Should we buy a new car tomorrow?”

 

Sol A just shook her head in disbelief and said, “Don’t you have work?”

 

“We can go before lunch tomorrow, I just need to finish some reports.”

 

“Okay.” she acquiesced.

 

Joon Hwi released her but reached for her hand to hold it. He intertwined their fingers “Let’s go home Sol-ah.” and led her to where he parked the car.

 


 

So, before someone could comment, I would just like to say that Joon Hwi here is RICH. It might be against his moral compass to accept the money from his uncle(dad?) knowing that it might be a bribe so I'd like to think he will investigate and find out whether it really is a bribe. Also, I'd like to think that IF it really was a bribe, he'll donate the money to charity and/or create a scholarship fund for those struggling Law students in Hankuk (Sol A *wink* *wink*). Also, Joon Hwi's family is really a mystery esp coz the drama did not show it much, so I'll go on a limb that he's well off.

 

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the story and that this might alleviate even an ounce of our thirst for the SolHwi end game.