[1.]

Lost Heart

Kyuhyun woke up from his slumber by the sound of his neighbor playing piano.  Ever since his new neighbor moved into the apartment next door, he’s been waking up with the melody of the piano at an inconvenient time.

 

Who the hell in their right mind would play at this time? It is fine if it’s midday and not midnight. He thought.

 

He never had met his new neighbor though. He left for work early in the morning and returned home late so he didn't have the chance to meet them or atleast to say hello to them and knocking on this hour seems rude plus he doesn’t want to leave his bed as his lazy wants to lay on the comfort of the bed than confronting the person who interrupts his sleep. 

 

Closing his eyes, he listened to the melody. He cannot deny the fact that his neighbor is a talented pianist. “It sounds so good but it's just so sad. I wonder what happened to my neighbor”. All of the pieces that his neighbor plays, it is always a sad piece. This is also the reason why he can’t confront his neighbor. Kyuhyun always believes that there might be a story behind why his neighbor plays piano during this time. “Why would I care anyway?” shrugging on the thought, he rose to a sitting position leaning on the headboard.

 

He’s enjoying the sad melody until it stops and is replaced by muffled crying noises. “Okay. That is my cue to go back to sleep” This became his routine. Waking up in the middle of the night by the sad piano and going back to sleep when his neighbor stops playing… most likely when they start crying. Kyuhyun is just appreciating the free concert at midnight but if his neighbor starts to wail, he stops listening. It’s not his business anyway.

 

Adjusting his pillows, he heard a shattering of glass that made him stop. Eavesdropping is not his thing but by the sound he just heard, it makes him worried. He shouldn't care about what happened but he’s now decided to knock on the door next to his apartment and to check on his neigbor. Might as well complain about his night piano concerts.

 

“Yeah. I’ll do it tomorrow. But for now, let me go back to sleep. I am so dead tired.”

 

 

--

 

 

Kyuhyun’s plan of confronting his neighbor seemed to be forgotten as he arrived home late after his overtime work. Looking at his phone, it reads 11:30PM. “An hour or so, my sad neighbor will start to play the piano,” He thought.

 

Scrolling into his phone, he waits for the elevator door to close when someone rushes in front, he immediately presses the open button. 

 

“Thank you! Oh my gosh! Thought I’ll be in the wrong elevator”

 

Kyuhyun replied, nodding his head. The elevator on this building is quite confusing for someone who’s not living in the building as it is divided by odd and even floors. He’s just lucky to have his apartment on the 9th floor and he can use the stairs whenever there's traffic in the elevator. During his first month, he often get lost as he uses the wrong elevator to his floor.

 

“9th floor please” The guy said

 

He’s on the same floor as him. Wondering why he's not familiar with the guy since he knew all of the other occupants on the floor. Instead of asking, he remained silent.

 

“This building is huge. I can’t understand why they have to divide their elevators” He heard the guy complain. He doesn’t know what to say as he too, complains the same thing. 

 

“Yeah. it only makes it difficult” he responded. 

 

“Ha! Someone finally agrees with me. I’m Heechul. What floor do you live at?”

 

“I’m Kyuhyun. I also from the 9th floor”

 

“9th floor?! Lucky me. I was able to meet a neighbor! Nice to meet you Kyuhyun” he said with enthusiasm in his voice.

 

“Likewise. Are you the new occupant?”

 

“No. I’m just visiting my dear brother. Perhaps you already met him? Ryeowook?”

 

“I don’t think I have”

 

“Really? He should be acquainted with his neighbor though. Ugh Wookie--” Heechul was interrupted with the sound of the elevator indicating that they were already on their floor. Walking off, Kyuhyun thought if he should ask Heechul about his brother. Would it be odd if he complained to him rather than to his neighbor?

 

“Uh.. Heechul, does your brother perhaps own a.. I don’t know, piano or a keyboard?” He finally asked, beating around the bush as he stopped in front of his apartment. 

“Oh! You live next door. I am sorry if it wakes you up” Heechul instantly picks up what he’s trying to say.

 

“NO! It’s alright” He immediately responded. “..It’s just that...” trouble on how to say his thoughts. 

 

“Don’t worry Kyuhyun, I understand,” Heechul said smiling, patting his shoulders. “Call me Hyung next time we meet. Good night Kyu!” He bids goodbye as he enters the door of their apartment.

 

Kyuhyun sighed hoping that his neighbor’s brother wouldn't take it against him… quite for first impression.

----