end.

Fuel the pyre of your enemies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Her eyes were closed, soaking underneath the sky; her skin was glowing with a sun-kissed amber that parallels a warm peach. A comfortable warmth spread all over her body the more she laid below the unyielding sun. The soft singing of goldfinches and bluebirds echoes the surrounding forest. In the background, the steady white noise of the water adds to the calm. She let the linen material of her sundress wrinkle against the firm grass. Beneath her hands, she can feel the tiniest of bugs crawling around between her fingers. The maiden thought of the townspeople of the East, much like the bugs. Everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Sometimes she would think if coming to the East was a brilliant choice. She misses the festivities of the North, the comfort of a home it brings.

 

But this is her new home now.

 

Such thoughts are not fit for such an afternoon. The woman inhaled deep, smelling the citrus orchids, before exhaling a breath of pleasure. The pool before her had floors rich in algae, clumps of rugged rocks, and little fishes going out and about. On the other side was a steep, stony platform, in which the stream cascaded towards the pond. She turned her head around and the only ones present were winged settlers of the forest. The woman looks above and the sky was as clear as the pond waters. She smiled at the tranquil day.

 

When she stood, she patted her dress off of any dirt, then walked the familiar route leading to the main road. Humming and cool, she would pluck some of the young flowers to play with. When she's greeted with the soiled path, she started her journey of walking the long mile towards home. She took her time—nitpicking at the picked flowers, mind free of any loaded thoughts.

 

Bae Joohyun found the little pond a few years ago. One lonely evening drove her outside the city walls to explore, searching for this shapeless meaning that would satiate her emotions. Although she found nothing, the fireflies led her to a hidden lagoon inside the woods. Creatures that wriggle upon the night were out in the open, but she paid no mind. She was a visitor, after all. So she sat with her lone self, near the water, along with the other beetles and such. The same night, butterflies landed on her knee, and ladybugs danced in front of her with their dotted cherry shells. Her tears dried in instant—for the life of these little things softened her heart into mirth.

 

Suddenly, stomping hooves on the earthen floors reach her ears. Joohyun looked behind to see a figure, definitely a knight, riding a midnight stallion against the air. She took notice of their hair: a magmatic scarlet that flew free like a red flag. Before she could mutter her despair, the stranger stops beside her. Joohyun continued walking, eyebrows furrowed and mood dispirited.

 

"Tell me, lone wanderer, did Her Majesty exiled you from the palace?" The horse rider teases, hands lulling the stallion to slow down. The secretary crossed her arms, aggressively moving faster than her.

 

"Heavens, no! Why would you say so?”

 

“For you are outside the city walls, what else?”

 

“I beg, for this day won't you just leave me be?"

 

"And miss the chance to torture you like this? Darling, you must know me wrong."

 

May she fall off her high horse, Joohyun curses upon her.

 

Joohyun never liked this particular knight. Kang Seulgi is the right-hand confidante of Commander Park Chaeyoung. Her robust skills have done wonders for their wars, winning every single one with Kang behind the leader. Often she'll come back with a fresh scar—a dull trophy for their victories. She is determined as she is stubborn, and there might be times she charms people in a way that the butterflies linger for a little longer. But she was presumptuous, annoying, and had this strange need to save everyone. She dislikes her messiah complex—because what if she gets hurt?

 

The thought baffled Joohyun for a second.

 

They have spent their early teenage years, until adulthood, bickering in all sorts. From petty, distinct quarrels to destructive conflicts that leave an aching bite to their chest. It's their way of communication, they might say. A friendly affection like Chaeyoung and Jennie's was never their strong point. The root of how it all began has long faded in their memory vaults. Now, they only know of spite and taunts, instinctual. They're content with how they speak with one another—for it's the only way they know. But periodically, when the moon hangs its round body at the peaks of the horizon, and the town hushes until their thoughts are the only noise; they'll wonder: is this the only language we will ever amount to? And it was disappointing for, in another lifetime, Seulgi and Joohyun can see themselves being friends. If only the circumstances were different.

 

"No fellow to accompany you?" Seulgi continued. Back erect and her eyes studying the older woman. Joohyun shook her head no, wishing to no longer interact with the brash warrior.

 

"A woman, then?" She tried again. The secretary sighed loudly.

 

"No." Can she not take a hint? This dumb bear, honestly... "I value my solitude. I asked for no company for this day."

 

There was a stretch of silence.

 

"That's absurd. What if there were Westerners nearby? They assault you?"

 

The older one shrugged carelessly. "Then I will die a peaceful death—knowing I spent my last hours in solace."

 

"Well, fear not!" Seulgi exclaimed. She drew out her long sword in exaggeration, startling the poor animal for a bit. "I am here to anyone who's in need!"

 

Joohyun can't help but chuckle. She won't admit to herself, or anyone at all, that there are also times that she finds the knight a little cute. The warrior would do these endearing shrieks—it never failed to soften the crowd.

 

"Do whatever you what makes you sleep at night. Just stay out of my sight."

 

"Ah, old Bae Joohyun; never the amusing one." She retired the sword to where it was, then patting the horse's side for it to move. Side by side, they walk the long roads of the barren forest lands.

 

Soon enough, the heavens rippled a mighty roar that startled them both. They looked behind and saw that the sky has turned into pitch-black embers, hiding the sunlight that beamed their track. Flashes of light streak across the cloud-like cracks of the pavement. The breeze has turned colder, and the trees beside them sway back and forth frantically. It will not take long for its liquid weight to crack and foster the rainfall.

 

"A storm to come, it seems," Joohyun commented. Her hairs rose at the sky's rumble. It sounded ominous and tempered.

 

Seulgi turned to Joohyun in resolute. "We must hurry, then."

 

"What do you mean we? I can manage my own, thank you." Joohyun snapped her head away, holding her head high, before walking away from the woman.

 

The red-haired grumbled. She took her horse to a stop in front of Joohyun. She stepped down with ease, the thick, shaggy garment draped over her wide shoulders, and the way she stood could intimidate most commoners. But not Joohyun; no, she can execute a traitor before her eyes and she's certain Bae Joohyun will not budge. With a steely voice, she commanded, "Now is not the time for pride. We are miles away from the kingdom. The horse is the wisest way home."

 

"I'll be a dead woman first before I come anywhere near you!" Joohyun screamed.

 

Seulgi just looked at her, irked. She snatched her delicate wrist, walking towards the towering stallion.

 

"Hey! Unhand me, you fool!" Joohyun tried pulling away from her powerful grip. It was useless. This was the same warrior who beheaded thousands of men.

 

Then droplets fell upon their fabrics—forming wet, dark dots. Gradually, the sky dropped more and more to their skin, to the tops of their head, to the dry ground. The atmosphere visibly dims, the thick fog gathers until nothing is visible anymore but their silhouettes. Even the horse neighs to the sudden temperature decline. Both instinctively covered their head.

 

Seulgi looked at Joohyun with crossed arms—the brunette was drained of any energy, so she concedes. She let herself be helped and hoisted at the stallion. Seulgi comes after, buckling her feet at the stirrup. Though she does not move.

 

Joohyun raised her brow, almost offended. "You chose this damn minute to pull your childish tricks?"

 

"Embrace me."

 

Another pregnant silence. Even the sleeping cicadas awoke from what was said.

 

"I beg your pardon?" The lady brought her hand dramatically to her chest.

 

The knight turned around, out of any patience. "Have you ever ridden a horse with another!"

 

Seulgi took both her hands so they could wrap around her torso, then pulled Joohyun so that no space was in between. Suddenly, the already wide saddle became bigger. The brunette clumsily clutched unto Seulgi's rough armor so she could stay still; she blushed at the close contact.

 

"You hold me, like this, so you don't fall off while we run..."

 

"... unless you want to dive in and eat the soil, then be my guest." Joohyun squeezed her sides with force, while Seulgi laughed in response.

 

The red-haired glanced behind; a calculative look when she peered at the sky, then took the reins to ride facing the wind.

 

Both surfed against the bullet-like gust, their clothes were getting drenched in the rain the faster they go. They advanced to what implies to be an endless road towards oblivion—they see nothing but the blinding steam covering the view. The rain pricks their eyes, now red from soreness and exhaustion. Jarring sounds of the constant pitter-patter were slowly ruining their sense of hearing, like silvers shaken inside their eardrums. The stallion was visibly getting tired, its warlike lope dwindled into a shallow, limped skip. And to mention, it carried a leather saddlebag, adding more weight. Seulgi clenched her teeth from the cold. She could feel the woman behind her getting disturbed from the chill as well, her hold wrapped around her stomach like a boa constrictor. Winter was coming, as she remembered. Once or twice she turned to see Joohyun resting her head on her back—those moments revealed a vulnerable maiden that seeks warmth. They were running against time. Who knows what lies ahead of the longer they stay under the furious climate. It will take a few hours before they could reach the palace, it's a wonder how Joohyun arrived in the middle of nowhere with no help. So she hurries, with all her surviving strength, looking for another way.

 

"Joohyun?" The red-haired called, muffled.

 

"Mhm?" Joohyun was near to closing her eyes to fainting. She's questioning her ability to withstand the flurry.

 

"Hold on for a little bit." the knight did not turn, but she tapped Joohyun’s knuckles clutching her. "Okay?"

 

The smaller woman replied with a tighter squeeze on her trunk. Seulgi is pleased enough to feel her humming and holding on.

 

It's like the Gods pitied the little women—at the side was a narrow pathway that was cleared of any colossal trees. The view was clear: it was a vacant land screened with wooden fences. From afar stood a wretched barn and a horse’s shed, devices left at bay, abandoned of any life. It could suffice for the night, Kang figures. She swivels the poor hoofed thing to where the shack was, already feeling slight ease.

 

The two women hurried inside, the horse left at the covered shed.

 

Joohyun sat down at one of the wooden logs, arms wrapped around herself, rubbing all over to create heat. Seulgi came in much later, a bag over her shoulders while her vermillion hair drenched. The warrior pushed herself to where Joohyun was, sitting at the other log nearby. Both women puffed white vapors, their heavy respiration was another sound along with the harsh rain. For a moment, no one spoke. It was hard to comprehend that they were stuck in such an unfortunate situation—trembling with no warmth and inside a god-awful barn far away from home. Instead, they watch the stubborn shower: the bolts of lightning continue to roll; they observed the trees getting trampled and beaten—its branches now on the ground. The afternoon shifted drastically.

 

"It persists," Seulgi stated. Devoid of any emoti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter