1/1

Back to the Beginning

An annoyed Donghyuck sat in the very back of the library. He hated being in the stupid library; it was cold, and stale, and quiet. Why was he there? Because he had to be. He was in danger of failing his first year biology class. He was barely passing and if he failed another exam he'd be forced to either take the class again in the summer or fall. He wished the stupid class wasn't a requirement for all freshman students. He hated biology. HATED IT. Of his 5 classes, it was the most boring. It was his naptime class.

 

Seeing his potential to pass the class, his professor assigned him a tutor...without his permission. The lady just kept him after class one day and told him to show up at the library at this time and wait for the tutor. He sighed and drummed his fingers on the tabletop in agitation. It was 10 minutes past the scheduled meet up time and Donghyuck was about ready to go. 

 

He growled and stood up. He slung his bag over his shoulder, fully preparing to leave and go bother Renjun at work. Just as soon as he pushed his chair in another boy came jogging up to his table. "Are you Donghyuck?" he asked out of breath. Donghyuck looked at him curiously, wanting to lie so he could get out of the tutoring, but the boy was kind of cute.

 

"Um yea?" he answered as he studied the other boy's appearance more. He was taller than Donghyuck. He had on a backwards cap so his hair was hiding from view. He had pretty high cheekbones and a square jaw and wide eyes. He wore a simple black t-shirt and dark jeans and black sneakers. He was very, very cute. Donghyuck decided he would stay.

 

"Are you my tutor?" he asked hesitantly, just wanting to make sure before he sat back down. The other boy nodded and pulled off his backpack, "Yea! I'm sorry I'm late! I just got off work and practically sped here from there," he explained, "The professor dropped this tutoring session on me last minute, but the school pays me for tutoring other students so I came."

 

'At least he doesn't want to be here either,' Donghyuck thought feeling a little better.

 

As they sat down Donghyuck queried, "So does my tutor have a name?" He was grinning awkwardly at the cute boy. The other boy pulled his hat off to reveal fluffy chocolate-colored hair. He smiled back and Donghyuck's heart began to do cartwheels. "Yea, of course, my name is Mark," he said holding out his hand for the other boy to take. Donghyuck grabbed his hand and felt a little shock. "Nice to meet you," mumbled out, praying his hand didn't feel clammy.

 

He might actually like biology afterall. 


Donghyuck did his best to mask his dreamy look as Mark explained the difference between macroorganisms and microorganisms. Donghyuck wasn't stupid, he knew the difference between 'macro' and 'micro' but when Mark talked and got into his element he looked really cute and animated. His eyebrows never stopped dancing and he waved his hands around a lot and stuttered because he talked too fast. Donghyuck found his nerdiness charming.

 

This would be their 5th study session in two and a half weeks and Donghyuck felt like he might actually be falling for the older boy. Their study sessions lasted about 4 hours each and between the many, many scientific terms they got to know each other a little. Mark was a year older and a year ahead of Donghyuck. He was a biology major which explained why he was so passionate when he tutored. He was planning to become a pediatrician. He worked part-time as a server at a restaurant. He drove a truck. He liked to read, and skateboard, and he liked to listen to music. Donghyuck found out he played the guitar and he wore eyeglasses. He found out he was Canadian.

 

Donghyuck decided that he liked when Mark wore his eyeglasses. He decided that he liked the way Mark looked when he wore navy blue. He decided he liked the way Mark stuttered when he got flustered or excited.

 

Donghyuck decided that he liked Mark.

 

That made him nervous, what was he going to do once he took his exam and the tutoring ended? He chewed on his pen cap as Mark continued to babble on. Donghyuck wasn't even listening anymore, just watching him. He wanted nothing more than to kiss Mark, but he was afraid to do that. What if Mark pushed him away? What if he was a homophobe? Despite having spent some time together, Donghyuck didn't know Mark's uality. He didn't know any of his social media. He didn't even have the boy's number, they had been corresponding through email this whole tim.

 

He broke out of his trance when he saw Mark gather his supplies. "That's all I have for you today. Your exam is next week and I got a study guide from the professor. I'll help you go over it during our next session," Mark professionally said as he dumped his notebook and pens and highlighters and sticky notes back into his bag. Donghyuck swallowed hard to aleviate his dry throat before nodding, "Um sounds good, Mark-hyung."

 

"Oh before I forget," Mark said sliding his phone over to the younger. Donghyuck looked at the phone to see only the dial pad showing. "I meant to ask for your number a little while ago. It's easier if we can call or text, right? It's a pain to check my email so frequently," Mark explained through a smile. Donghyuck blushed and typed in his phone number. Was this guy reading his mind?

 

He slid Mark's phone back over. Mark saved Donghyuck's number and then sent him a quick text. 

 

'Save my #. It's Mark!😁'


Mark felt nervous as he wrapped up his final tutoring session with Donghyuck. He felt like he was talking too much because the younger boy's brows were deeply furrowed. He was going through his study guide and circling the questions he was fuzzy on. It took everything in Mark to not pinch one of Donghyuck's full cheeks. He was the cutest boy Mark had ever met. His round face and messy dyed-blond hair was so appealing to Mark. Donghyuck's eyelashes were really long and Mark could clearly see them even though the younger boy's head was down.

 

Mark wondered how smooth the younger's golden skin was. It looked perfect, he wanted to touch it. He also wondered how soft Donghyuck's full pink lips were, he wanted to kiss them. He wanted to know how silky Donghyuck's hair was, he wanted to it. He really wanted to touch Donghyuck, past a handshake. Mark thought Donghyuck was attractive the first time they met. He looked adorable even though it was clear he was agitated. He had been crushing on Donghyuck since day 1 and didn't know how to act on it.

 

He couldn't tell if Donghyuck was interested in anything more than a tutor/tutee relationship. Mark had gone over several scenarios on how to ask Donghyuck out on a date, but every time he opened his mouth a bunch of biology content spilled out. He was afraid. He actually lacked the courage to talk to Donghyuck about anything outside of biology. He was pitiful.

 

"Mark-hyung?" he heard Donghyuck call as a palm waved in front of his face, "Are you ok?"

 

Mark broke free of his pining-induced trance and smiled at the younger. "Yea I'm fine, what's up?" he asked him. He looked down as the study guide was slid across the table in his direction. "There's only a few questions I didn't understand," Donghyuck informed him. Mark held the study guide in his hands and quickly flipped through the pages at the other boy's problem questions. 

 

"Well let's go over them together, yea?" Mark offered as he stood up and moved to sit on the same side of the table as Donghyuck. He was struck with the brilliant idea to move closer under the guise of them only having the one study guide. He sat close enough so that their arms were touching. Mark was really hating that they both had on long sleeves because he was dying to know what Donghyuck's skin felt like past his hands.

 

He flipped the page to the first question Donghyuck had circled and began to read it out loud. His mouth disconnected from his brain as Donghyuck's vanilla scent seeped into his senses. Mark's mouth watered at the alluring scent, but also felt dry from talking so much. He did his best to control the speed in which he explained the answer to the question.

 

Donghyuck nodded along as he scribbled little notes in the empty space beside the question. Mark flipped to the next page and read the next question out loud again. "Ok so for symbiosis, it's easier to just remember the difference between mutual and parasitic. Remember that if it's mutualism then both organisims are benefitting," Mark explained. He didn't know what came over him, but he let a hand grab Donghyuck's hand that held the pen. He guided the younger's hand to underline the words 'mutualism' and 'parasitism'. "And remember that parasitism means one organism is benefitting and the other is being hurt. Like an actual parasite," Mark continued.

 

He missed the pink blush that crept over Donghyuck's cheeks as the younger nodded his understanding. Mark regained his senses and quickly let go of Donghyuck's hand, but remained close to him. He was sweating he was so nervous, he didn't want to make Donghyuck uncomfortable. After he finished going over the handful questions he decided to end the session.

 

"Well our final session is done," he commented to which the other boy nodded, "Do you think you're ready for the exam?"

 

"I think so. You're a great teacher, Mark-hyung, even if you do talk fast and stutter," Donghyuck jokingly complimented. Mark laughed awkwardly and rubbed the back of his neck, "Sorry," he said. Donghyuck shook his head and laughed, "No it's really cute." Mark's face flushed at the compliment as they both stood up from the table. His whole body felt was sweating and he felt like his clothes were drenched. He hoped Donghyuck didn't notice how nervous he was.


Mark had decided to give Donghyuck a ride to his dorm room, their final study session had been longer than the previous ones and it was way too late for Donghyuck to walk alone and the buses had stopped running an hour ago.

 

He switched off the engine of his truck once he reached the other boy's dormitory. They both sat there in the quiet truck and said nothing and stared ahead out the windshield. Donghyuck didn't seem like he wanted to get out just yet and Mark wasn't going to push him out. "Mark?" Donghyuck called his name gently. Mark swallowed hard and made a sound to let the younger know he heard him, he didn't trust his voice right now.

 

"I really appreciate you for tutoring me," Donghyuck said turning to look at him, a small smile spreading over his face. Mark didn't know if it was because it was cold in his truck, but Donghyuck's cheeks were bright pink...almost glowing. "Don't thank me yet, let's make sure you pass your exam first," Mark ernestly said. Donghyuck grinned wider at him and playfully asked, "What will my reward be if I pass my exam?"

 

"You'll pass your class and won't have to retake it," Mark laughed out, feeling a little more at ease. He liked this sort of playful back and forth with Donghyuck.

 

Donghyuck chuckled and rolled his eyes, "Well duh, but I mean my reward from you? As your star pupil, you should give me a prize for passing my exam under your guidance," he urged, "It's only fair, Canada." That was a nickname Donghyuck had gifted him with about a week ago and Mark thought it was cute so he didn't make a big deal about it.

 

He thought about Donghyuck's request, he'd never given any of his other tutees rewards for passing their exams...but then...none of them had been as cute as Lee Donghyuck. 

 

"Mmmmm," Mark said sounding uncertain. He wanted to say he'd take the other boy on a date, but that would be too forward. "C'mon Mark-hyung," Donghyuck cutely whined with a soft elbow jab to the elder's arm. He switched to hugging the elder's arm and turned wide puppy eyes to him, "You don't want to give your best boy a reward for his excellent work?" he queried adorably.

 

Mark felt his heart leap in his throat when he heard Donghyuck say 'Best Boy'. What the hell was he so cute for? "Umm how about we leave it a surprise? Don't focus on the prize until you pass your exam," he told him expertly. Donghyuck dropped Mark's arm and pouted, his round cheeks puffing out a bit. He crossed his arms, but nodded. "Fine! But I expect something spectacular," he bargained. 

 

Mark felt his heart flutter and he couldn't stop himself from reaching out to smooth down the younger's hair, it felt like silk under his fingertips. "Hyuck-ah, I promise, it'll blow your mind," he said. 


Mark and Donghyuck sat at the edge of a crystal clear lake located in the heart of the campus. It was late, maybe 1 AM, and there they sat. They were celebrating...well kind of.

 

Donghyuck had aced his exam with a perfect score and Mark was beyond surprised, but proud of the younger nonetheless. Donghyuck didn't want to wait until the weekend so he agreed to wait until Mark got off his late shift at work. Mark couldn't believe how impatient the younger was, but what he didn't know was that Donghyuck was just eager to see him again.

 

Mark was planning on taking Donghyuck out to a club or maybe to a nice dinner as a reward so he had to think up something on the fly to treat his star student. He decided a nice late night picnic would be ok, or something of the sort. Mark wanted to bring food from the restaurant he waited at but he feared the food would be soggy by the time they ate it since the kitchen closed at 10 and he got off and midnight.

 

Given the late hour Mark thought of the next best thing, he'd gone to the convenience store by his workplace and spent a fortune on different kinds of snacks. He didn't know what types Donghyuck liked so he got a little of everything: ice cream, chips, cookies, nuts, sodas, juices, water, candy, and even some sandwiches. He was sure the clerk thought he had the munchies or something.

 

He even bought a bag of ice and a cooler to store the ice cream and beverages inside. He dumped all the other snacks into his backpack and was all set. Donghyuck seemed to be fine with the makeshift picnic. The younger had dressed warmly in an oversized sweatshirt and cuffed dark jeans. Mark was unfortunately still wearing his grimy work uniform.

 

Mark had set a small bluetooth speaker in the grass between them and put on a random trending Spotify playlist and let the music fill in the silence of the night. He didn't know what kind of mood he wanted to achieve, but he was setting one. They sat on a big green plaid blanket Mark kept in his truck and stared out at the water. It was illuminated by the little flourescent lights surrounding it. "This is nice, Canada," Donghyuck truthfully commented as he reached for the hefty bookbag of snacks sitting by the speaker.

 

He opened it wide and looked inside. "Wah Mark-hyung! You brought so much goodies!" he said in astonishment as he stuck his hand inside the junk food bad and sifted around. Mark grinned sheepishly and said, "Well yea...I didn't know what kinds of snacks you liked so I bought everything I thought you would like." Donghyuck smiled and said, "That's really sweet of you, but you could've just asked."

 

Mark laughed at that, "I honestly didn't think about asking you," he mumbled, "Probably could've saved 60 bucks."

 

Donghyuck's eyes lit up when he spotted one of his favorite cookie brands. It was a tray of chocolate sandwhich cookies with peanut butter creme. "I love these!" he happily said as he snatched up the treat and ripped open the clear cellophane wrapper. Mark instantly felt like his purchase had been validated. Donghyuck's reaction to finding one of his favorite snacks was the exact goal he was trying to reach.

 

He'd commit Donghyuck's bright and wide smile to memory and remember that he was the reason the younger was smiling like that.

 

Before Donghyuck popped a cookie in his mouth he paused, "Didn't you say you bought ice cream too?" he asked Mark. Mark nodded and reached behind him for the cooler, "Do you want vanilla or choco?" he asked. Donghyuck perked up and quickly answered, "Vanilla!" Mark passed him over the pint of ice cream. Donghyuck held the cookie between his lips and cracked the seal of the ice cream. He tossed the top beside himself on the blanket and dipped the cookie in the soft ice cream.

 

He bit the cookie and groaned in satisfaction. "SO GOOD!" he wailed in satisfaction. He turned and offered a cookie to Mark who was just staring at him with a happy grin. "Wanna try it?" he offered. Mark was taken aback, but shook his head. "No, you seem like you're enjoying your treat. Go ahead," he replied. Donghyuck waved the tray of cookies in Mark's direction, "I'd enjoy it more if I had someone to share it with," he told the elder.

 

Truthfully Mark had declined because he wasn't a huge fan of cookies or ice cream, but he couldn't deny Donghyuck's cute pout any longer. He grabbed one of the cookies and smiled as Donghyuck extended the other hand that held the cold dessert, "You gotta dip it in the ice cream too, hyung. You gotta get the full affect of this awesomeness," he told him firmly.

 

Mark nodded and scooted closer to Donghyuck, they were shoulder-to-shoulder now. He wrapped his free hand around the younger's hand that was holding the ice cream. He scooped up a tiny bit of ice cream with his cookie, but Donghyuck stopped him before he could bite it. "Mark-hyung come onnnn," he pressured, "You have to really coat the cookie in the ice cream." Mark frowned but nodded as he shoved the entire cookie up to his fingertips into the ice cream.

 

He looked over at the younger who was already shoving a second cookie into the ice cream. Mark tilted his head back and dropped the gooey cookie into his mouth. The ice cream instantly made him cold. He slowly chewed the sweet treat and swallowed it. Donghyuck stared at him with excitement dancing in his eyes, "And? How was it?" he queried.

 

"Interesting," came Mark's reply as wiped his hand on his dirty black work pants. Donghyuck wasn't sure what Mark meant by that. He shrugged and went in for a third cookie. He submerged the cookie in the melting ice cream and shoved it into his mouth. He closed his eyes and groaned in pleasure as he his sticky fingers. Mark chuckled at how cute the other boy looked as he thoroughly enjoyed his treat.

 

He frowned when he noticed there was a little ice cream on Donghyuck's face. Without thought he reached out and wiped the ice cream from the corner of Donghyuck's mouth with his thumb. Donghyuck's eyes popped open and he stared at Mark is surprise. Mark locked eyes with him and he couldn't help but run his thumb across Donghyuck's bottom lip. He didn't know what came over him, but before he could come back to his senses he had leaned in and pecked Donghyuck's lips.

 

Donghyuck's eyes widened, but as quickly as Mark's lips were there they were gone. He dropped the tray with the rest of the cookies on the blanket and nearly dropped the ice cream as well as he stared at Mark. Mark was instantly regretting his actions when he saw the younger's bewildered look. What was he thinking? Did he just mess everything up? "Oh man Hyuck! I'm so sorry!" he quickly apologized, "I don't know what I was doing, I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

 

Donghyuck set the ice cream down and fisted his hand in Mark's stained white server shirt. Mark was bracing himself for impact with his eyes shut tightly. The impact he received was not what he was expecting, though. What he thought would be a fist against his face turned out to be a pair of cold and soft lips pressed against his own. He opened his eyes to see that Donghyuck was KISSING HIM!

 

Mark gripped the back of Donghyuck's neck and pulled him in deeper, shutting his eyes again. Mark ran his tongue against the other boy's lips and that seemed to wake Donghyuck up. The younger gently pushed him away as he broke the kiss. His face was bright red and he covered his mouth. Mark touched his lips and did his best to fight off his smile. It was a great kiss. Electrifying.


The rest of their night had been spent in relative silence, both boys too afraid to speak about what happened. After they had their fill of snacks they packed up and headed home. 

 

Again Mark and Donghyuck sat parked outside the younger's dormitory. The air between them was awkward. Donghyuck didn't seem like he was ready to get out and Mark wasn't going to make him.

 

"I guess I'd better go," again Donghyuck broke the silence. Neither of them had talked about the kiss, they were both too afraid. Donghyuck gather his bag and pushed open the passenger side door. Before he could slide out Mark grabbed his arm to stop him. "Wait," he said looking over at the other boy, "Would you like to go out with me sometime? Like on a real date?" Mark found the courage to officially ask the younger boy out and Donghyuck couldn't have been more ecstatic.

 

Donghyuck vigorously nodded and smiled brightly, "Yes please," was his response. 

 

With that, Donghyuck climbed out and walked around the front of Mark's truck to the sidewalk. He stopped at Mark's window and tapped lightly on the glass. Mark rolled down his window and leaned out a bit to look up at Donghyuck. Donghyuck nervously bit his bottom lip as Mark asked, "What's up?" Before Mark knew what was happening, Donghyuck had pressed another soft kiss to his lips. It was a short kiss, like Donghyuck was bidding him goodnight. He pulled away and said, "Text me ok."

 

Mark dumbly nodded his head, "For sure," he said.

 

Donghyuck really couldn't stop himself from pecking Mark's cheek before finally turning away and heading into his building. The flushed boy played with his lips as he rode the elevator up to his floor. He hadn't even made it inside his room before his phone pinged with a message.

 

'MARK: Hey, is it too soon to text you?'

 

The message said. Donghyuck felt his heart do a flip as a billion butterflies flapped around in his tummy. "I think I'm in love," he muttered to himself.