Lunch?

Year: Freshman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Irene was in her room preparing for the conference that she had been assigned to. Her mind seemed to wander around as she let down her books and started to peek a piece of paper belonged to Seulgi. She took the paper and decided to ask her friend about it. That would help. She texted Sooyoung about her encounter with a certain person back in the class this noon. Within seconds, her phone rang and Sooyoung was the caller.

“So, tell me. Who the hell is this person?”

“Promise me first. You won’t say anything to her.”

“OH, SO I KNOW THIS PERSON? WHO IS IT?”

“You almost know everyone at school, Sooyoung-ah.”

“Yeah, right. So, this person is from our batch, right?”

“Yep.”

“Give me a hint at least.”

“The surname is Kang...”

“Kang…. DANIEL?”

“NO.”

“Kang. Kang…. MINHYUK!”

“YAH! Why would I flirt with our professor??”

“HAHA! Alright, Kang Seungyoon?”

“No.”

“Another hint, please.”

“Popular and… gay.”

“OH GOD DON’T TELL ME.”

“What.”

“Kang… Seulgi??”

Irene sighed, as she did not really know how to tell Sooyoung about her own preference. She knew Sooyoung was openly a biual. She knew Sooyoung would not judge her. She knew, but then again, opening up to someone about your ual orientation was not that easy for some people. Irene was one of those people. It was not about the judgement; it was about the awkwardness. She could not find the right moment to tell Sooyoung, “Well, I am gay.” When she was contemplating about Seulgi and her paper, she knew she needed someone to talk to.

“She was being so straightforward, Sooyoung. It was not like I did not know that she was openly flirting with me. Everybody had this speculation that she is gay. God, even Yerim talked about what happened at the hall. She practically admitted that she is gay, indirectly. I was not scared about the judgement. I did not really care about the gender. I see people because their existence, and personality, and just- their well-being.”

Sooyoung listened to Irene, with a proud smile plastered on her face, “I know. So, what are you so scared about?”

“Her way of approaching me was unique. Her expression and voice? Also, her personality? Well, she is that friendly and humble girl in our batch. And I am kind of attracted to her, to be honest, I have always been admiring her since I saw her on the debate competition…. But I really cannot deal with any relationship right now. She is also famous enough. I don’t think I can deal with that.”

“What do you mean?”

“I- I like people to know what’s mine is mine, Sooyoung.”

“HA! You only talked to her once and you’re thinking about calling her yours? I clearly heard that you said you are not ready for any relationship right now.”

“UGH! I know. I-I am just thinking about the ‘future’.”

“I am pretty sure you would figure it out, Rene-ah. For now, don’t think about things that have not happened yet. Enjoy the moment. Do something about it if you really are attracted to her. Who knows, right?”

Irene knew Sooyoung was right at that time. She knew she should just enjoy the moment. What could go wrong, anyway? She was in the middle of what people said to be the best moment of your life: Highschool; to have a crush and heartbreak, to find yourself within books and songs, to enjoy the dates and sleepovers, to have memories and farewell, to be held and to tear apart.

 

           

 

Seulgi was never the type to become conscious about times and whatsoever. Her motto would be ‘just think about the present’ but not this one time. The ticking sound of the clock seemed to make its way into Seulgi’s head louder than it was supposed to be. Professor Park’s voice sounded so far away and she was not complaining about that one. If there was one thing that Seulgi wanted to complain about, that would be the missing presence of Irene Bae.

Since the last time Irene exited that door, Seulgi never had the chance to even see a glimpse of her shadow. Calculated, it had been three days.

As Professor Park dismissed the class, she reached out her phone and dialled Seungwan’s number. When Seungwan approved that they could went for a little bestie date at a café, she discovered a new talent for herself; running. Minutes later and Seulgi found herself at the doorstep of the café. It was a decent café unexpectedly. Here is the thing, Seungwan was fond of creepy places. There was this one time when Seungwan told Seulgi about a cool café that she found while running errands for her mother. It turned out to be a café with a shaman-theme, after that Seulgi promised herself to check every place Seungwan suggested first.

She sighed, remembering the time when she entered the shaman café, “Well, at least her preference is upgrading now.” Seulgi went to the bar while thinking what kind of drinks should she choose as  a bribe. She decided that an iced latte with lots of whipped cream would be fine, or maybe along with a strawberry shortcake. That would be too much sugar which means too much energy, but yeah, it was worth to try on bribing Seungwan.

Here was her plan; bribing Seungwan to tell her every single thing that she knew about Irene Bae. It was Seungwan after all who introduced Irene to her.

As she was about to order, the barista greeted her with so much excitement to her liking. She looked up only to see the great Park Sooyoung, smiling at her, more like grinning to be exact. “Well, Kang Seulgi! What can I get you, Bae-by?”

Chills ran down her spine and she was so sure that there was a teasing indicated within Sooyoung’s offer. Seulgi regained herself, “Ha! I thought you are supposed to be professional here, Sooyoungie?”

Sooyoung just laughed, almost like a maniac that her manager came from the office to see what happened with her employee, “Shut up, Seulgi. Well, Seungwan informed me just now that you two are going to have a little bestie date.”

 “You- Yeah, forget it. No wonder she chose this place.”

“So, coffee?”

“Iced americano, also could you please add a slice of lemon?” Sooyoung nodded her head, “and one iced latte with lots of whipped cream and extra caramel sauce. Oh! Can I get this one, too?” Seulgi pointed at the strawberry shortcake in the display.

“All for yourself? Really?”

“No way. I am ordering for Seungwan- and please don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter