Irene, Bae.

Year: Freshman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Son Seungwan was running down the stairs and trying so hard to keep the excitement all to herself. At least until she could catch up with her new-founded best friend for life; Kang Seulgi. When she caught a glimpse of the brunette, she screamed at the top of her lungs, “SEULGI! SEULGI!” No, she was not embarrassed, but Seulgi was.

 

“Oh, God.” Seulgi muttered under her breath, praying that her schoolmates and seniors would just ignore the embarrassment she was dealing with. While, in fact, Seulgi managed to befriend half of her batch, and attracted some aggressive seniors with her beautiful flirty magnetic smile– as how Seungwan liked to describe it. So, she was stuck with shame and a happy bouncing Seungwan, who at that moment, would indirectly outed Seulgi.

 

“You remember Park Sooyoung? I- We- sort of come to the decision to hang-out.”

 

“Oh. You mean, make-out?” Seulgi might only get to know Seungwan for almost a year, but it was enough to tell her what does hang-out mean for the blonde. Seungwan gasped, “God! I swear to God! You passed the best of best friend test.” Seulgi chuckled, “I knew I would!” She sometimes regretted that she ever thought of Seungwan as a calm and delicate girl when they first got to know each other.

 

“So, how did it happen? You and Park Sooyoung. Last time I checked you were pretty much into that senior in the dance club.” Seungwan popped her bubblegum, “Yeah, things happened and people changed so it’s Sooyoungie for now,” Seulgi swore she almost threw up that moment. Sooyoungie? Oh, God. “And that was not the point of this exciting conversation. See, as I would probably become super busy with life, growing up, dating, and making out- yeah, I should not leave you alone with nothing to do, right?” At this point, Seulgi was laughing so hard she could actually go mad.

 

“Hell, no! Are you being serious? I got home-works and practices, and even if I got nothing to do, I would be just perfectly fine without you.”

 

Seungwan was a drama queen, and that was how her number was saved as in Seulgi’s phone, “Ouch. So, I don’t care. Let me just do my presentation, Kang. There is this certain beautiful girl, with long black hair and angel-faced. Her smile will melt you down, her gaze will freeze you up. Her smooth skin- wait, I don’t really know about that. Anyway, go get her. Pretty girls are your ultimate weakness.”

 

Seungwan was a drama queen, remember? Meaning that, there is no way that she talked in a normal voice for that one historical moment. She talked in a dreamy, loud, and exaggerated way. In the crowded school hall, with almost the entire school gathered up ready to hear an announcement from the dean, only to hear the indirect confession of Seulgi’s ual orientation.

 

That was when the whole school started to know Seulgi as Seul-gay and she did not care. Thanks to Seungwan, she did not really have to say it out loud. That would be not necessary to go and scream, “Well, yeah. I’m gay and that does not mean I like every girl that I see. So, Chill.” Yes, of course, the rumors were initially there. Some gossiped that she and Seungwan were actually together, some rumors were about her being too close with a senior from the cheerleader team, and it went on and on and on.

 

Seulgi was pretty depressed from the gossips at first, and when she looked at Seungwan, she knew she could handle it better. Being a homoual was pretty much a sin in the eyes of the society. Be realistic, it was quite hard to accept yourself, just like that. Then, Seungwan was different. She was denial for a pretty much short time; a couple of months when she was- ugh- in 2nd grade of elementary. Seulgi completely caught off-guard when Seungwan told her this story which she believed to comfort her in the most depressing moment in her life. Seulgi’s case was more difficult, she was deep in the closet until recently, and her denial phase lasted longer than four years.

 

Well, Seulgi dated a boy, with cute bangs and a baby sitter always ready by his side, back then in junior high school and oh boy, that felt so wrong for Seulgi. Near the end of her junior years, she came out to her parents. As an only child, her parents adored her way too much that she felt the need to bring them to a psychologist to open their eyes into other options of parenting styles. However, for that one crucial moment in her life, she swore she would never complain again about how her parents spoiled and loved her.

 

Both Mr. and Mrs. Kang were shocked. Obviously. But they tried not to show any negative reactions toward their one and only child. Seulgi knew her parents’ efforts and she could never thank them more for trying to understand her preference. Eventually, the Kangs found their way to be comfortable in talking about Seulgi’s ual orientation. Eventually, the Kangs joined forces with Seungwan on supporting Seulgi to get to know ‘the girl’.

 

“Don’t put it that way, Wan-ah. That makes me look bad. I don’t just see the face, you know that.” Seulgi muttered under her breath, oh how much she wanted to disappear from the crowd that moment. Well, she could not fully object what Seungwan said. Pretty girls, oh, pretty girls. Sometimes she admitted to herself how she attracted more to pretty- and by pretty means very pretty girls. If Seulgi were to give a concrete example, that would be Jung Soojung. Seulgi was a die-hard fan of Soojung back in the first semester of high school. The first time she saw Soojung was at a debate competition in which she was forced by her home teacher to join. She never regretted her decision though. Soojung was her teammate, and she fell hard for her. Seulgi was so sure that they would actually end up together. If only they did not get too close and comfortable that bot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter