You Never Know

You Never Know

I had the burning urge to wirite a Chenris, so here it is.

This story is my own idea, any similarities to other stories is purely coincidental. Also, of course, I don't own anyone used in this story.


“Hey there, cutie. You here alone?” The gruff voice asked.

“That’s none of your business.” Chen replied matter-of-factly. He was used to this. It happened every time he went somewhere. But that didn’t make it any less irritating.

"Don’t be rude. I just want to talk.” The taller, buff male replied.

“I’m not interested.” Chen replied. He wasn’t in the mood for flirting.

“What’s your problem, you little brat?” The other man now sounded angry. How dare Chen not respond to his advances by throwing himself at the stranger? He raised a hand up to grab the shorter man’s arm, but was stopped by someone even stronger grabbing him. He turned around only to be met with the brown eyes of an very angry looking man.

He was tall, very tall. He had long black hair, styled as a mullet. And his eyes were burning with anger.

“Can I help you?” he growled, teeth bared. The slightly shorter man looked into his opponent’s eyes, looked at Chen, then back at the taller man looming above him. He furred his brows, seemingly making a connection. He quickly jerked his arm away and took a step back.

“Chill dude, I didn’t know he was your omega.” The man nonchalantly put his hands in his hoodie pockets and walked off as if the altercation had never happened. He stopped for a moment before turning back and saying to the duo, “Maybe you should train your omega better, he didn’t even let me know he was claimed.” And with that, the man was off again.

The taller man moved over to his shorter companion, cupping his face in his large hands.

“Are you okay, Chen?” He rubbed circles into the other’s cheeks. His once furious eyes were now softened with concern.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Thank you Kris hyung.” He forced a fake smile.

Chen sighed. He hated going out for this very reason. No matter where he went, if he were ever without Kris for a single moment, alphas would approach and flirt with him. As if he was a hunk of fresh meat, ready and waiting to be devoured by any alpha who approached.

If only they knew.

It annoyed him, but he was used to it. Thankfully, Kris went nearly everywhere with him so it usually wasn’t an issue. Still, it bugged Chen that he couldn’t get any respect on his own and needed Kris as his own personal bodyguard to ensure that he wouldn’t be bothered simply buying a loaf of bread.

“Do you want to go?” Kris asked, still rubbing the other’s face, not caring about the looks they got from others.

Chen let out another sigh. “Yeah, we can go.” He hated feeling like he couldn’t shop like a normal person.

As they walked to the register, pretty much every single alpha they walked by turned immediately to get a look at Chen, only to meet Kris’s face directly behind him. His eyes were angry, and he quietly growled at everyone they passed by. His teeth were constantly borne, daring anyone to say a single word. The looks of desire quickly morphed into looks of disgust or disinterest. One chestnut haired alpha even commented, “Dude, you don’t need to do all that. No one’s touching your omega.”

Of course, you aren’t right now. Chen thought. If he wasn’t here, you’d be all over me!

When Kris wasn’t around, Chen was free game. When he was around, Chen was property. It was irritating either way Chen looked at it.

They made their purchases with few issues. The alpha cashier at the register snuck a quick wink at Chen, which was noticed immediately by Kris, who responded by snarling at the man.

“Don’t.” Chen said simply. And Kris dropped the aggressiveness, though he was clearly reluctant to do so. The cashier smirked as he handed them their bags.

“You let your omega tell you want to do? Ha!”

Kris snatched the bags away as they headed out the door. Since they only had a few things, they unloaded quickly. Kris handed the keys to Chen.

"I'm gonna go return this basket. Get in the car and lock the doors.” He said, handing the keychain to the shorter man. Chen smiled and nodded, appreciating Kris’s concern. Kris walked off as Chen made his way over to the passenger’s side.

In an instant, he felt a figure appear right behind him.

“Hey there, little fella. What are you doing all alone?” The tall alpha hovered directly over Chen’s smaller frame, pressing him into the car.

“I’m not, and can you please move? I’m trying to get into my car.” The alpha snorted. He looked around, as if expecting to find someone nearby.

“I don’t see anyone else here.” The man chuckled. “You know, it’s dangerous for little omegas like you to go around by yourself.” The man leaned close to Chen’s face. He reached a hand up to touch to shorter man, but he pushed it away immediately.

“That’s none of your concern.” The small man retorted firmly. “Now move.”

At that, the alpha got angry. He caged Chen against the car with his muscular arms.

"You're being really rude.” The man snarled. “I’m trying to be nice to you since you’re out here alone, but maybe I need to teach you a lesson”. The man’s mouth twisted into a wicked grin.

Before either one of them could make another move, the alpha was pulled off Chen and slammed onto another nearby car. Chen turned to see Kris, now having put the alpha in the same position he’d just been put into. Kris’s entire form was far larger than the alpha and he fiercely grabbed onto his shirt collar. His eyes had shifted into a dark red and his teeth were now sharp. A burning heat had taken over his entire being.

“What the hell did you say?” Kris snarled quietly, but with a burning intensity.

“Woah woah woah, easy man!” The now petrified man stuttered. “Hey, I’m sorry. I had no idea he was already someone’s omeg-”

“Don’t you EVER, lay a hand on my alpha or I will break every ing bone in your body.” Kris seethed. His hands were trembling as he sank his now bared claws into the other man’s shoulders. His face was merely an inch away from the others.

The man’s eyes widened as he looked like he’d seen a ghost. He looked to Chen, now standing up normally, then back at Kris’s enflamed eyes.

“Alpha? H-he’s your….alpha?” the man asked, utterly confused and terrified at the same time.

“Kris hyung, stop!” Chen exclaimed, placing a hand on the other’s shoulder. Kris glanced over to the shorter man, but quickly returned his eyes to the man in front of him. He remained that way for a few seconds before roughly pulling the man up and throwing him to the ground. The man scrambled to his feet and ran off, away from the store and the parking lot, looking back a few times as he did so.

Chen sighed and turned his attention to Kris. The man was still fuming.

“Hyung, you need to calm down.” Chen whispered. He pulled the taller man’s face down to his own and nuzzled him gently. Kris slowly began to calm himself. His once sharp fangs returned to their normal form, and his eyes had cooled back to a lovely brown.

“I’m sorry.” He mumbled into Chen’s neck.

“Don’t be. You were just concerned for me.” He comforted. “Let’s go home now.” He was a bit shaken from the incident as well, but knew he had to be calm and brave for Kris. Thankfully, Kris nodded. He reached for the keys, but Chen shook his head.

“I’ll drive. You are in no position to. You need to relax.” Chen said firmly, but gently.

“Yes, alpha.”

The car ride home was tense and quiet. Neither had said a word. Truthfully, both were tired of it.

Chen shocked his family, himself, and probably the world the day he presented as an alpha. Everyone had expected him to be an omega. He was very petite and adorable since birth, two major hallmarks of an omega. He had a very calm, yet friendly demeanor. He was beloved by nearly everyone. He sported a kitten-like smile and pretty eyes that captured the hearts of anyone he spoke to. And he possessed a lovely voice. His sweet singing brought him popularity all throughout school and college. His natural aegyo made him popular among women and men. Who on earth could look at him and not see an omega?

And yet, one day, at 16 years of age, he stunned his family doctor as a checkup confirmed he was indeed producing alpha pheromones. His parents asked for a second and third opinion, both of which lined up with the initial observations. Their adorable, omega-like son was an alpha. Needless to say, most people never noticed.

He was constantly viewed as an omega by society. Even though a quick deep sniff would reveal to anyone that he was indeed an alpha, most people never bothered.

It wasn’t all too surprising. Chen had the key assets of an omega; short stature, slightly feminine features, calm mannerisms, cute (in his friends’ opinions); anyone who looked at him would see an omega. If someone were looking for an alpha, they’d look for someone closer to Kris in appearance.

Chen laughed at what he believed to be a joke when the taller man asked him on a date one day, clarifying that he was an omega once Chen looked at him in confusion.

“I almost believed you there for a second” The adorable alpha said.

“It’s true!” Kris pouted. “Ask my friends. Heck, just smell me. I’m an omega.” Chen frowned but he did what was asked. And lo and behold, the taller dark-haired man was telling the truth. He was an omega.

He looked nothing like one. Kris was extremely tall. He towered over nearly everyone. There were only a few people in their circle of friends who could compete with him in height. He was also built very much like an alpha. Strong, masculine features, deep voice, fierce eyes, and very sharp teeth. At first glance, anyone who looked his way would think they were looking at an alpha. The truth would only be revealed to anyone who’d smell him.

Chen and Kris were an adorable, yet odd pairing. Their friends were used to them and found them a perfect match, though they knew why any outsider looking in would naturally assume their roles were reversed. Which is why Chen constantly found himself angry.

He hated having to rely on Kris to protect him. He was the alpha, it was his job to be the protector. Yet, any outdoor experience would turn into Chen being flirted with by random alphas until Kris stepped up. It bugged him that he wasn’t stronger, but he also hated exercise, so bulking up wouldn’t happen anytime soon. He also enjoyed his cute appearance and demeanor. He didn’t want to pretend to be gruff just for the sake of strangers. Deep down, he really wondered if Kris ever felt ashamed of him. Ashamed of having an alpha who couldn’t protect him. Not that Kris really needed much protecting being the 6ft monster that he was.

Kris insisted that he didn’t mind. He loved everything about Chen as he was and had no interest in him changing. Still the thoughts lingered in Chen’s mind often.

They arrived back at their apartment and Chen immediately grabbed a water bottle for Kris. The tall omega initially rejected it, assuring his alpha that he was fine. But Chen insisted, so of course Kris did as asked. After putting away the few items they’d purchased, Chen headed to their shared room. He just wanted to rest, maybe nap for a bit, and he lay down under the covers.

He should have expected Kris to join him, though he thought the other might want a moment of peace as well. Kris made his way onto their queen-sized bed and wrapped his body around Chen in a second. He began nuzzling against the shorter man, a soft purring sound emitting from his throat.

It was hard (impossible) for the man to reject such advances. Cuddly Kris was his favorite. So he indulged and snuggled right back up to the enormous omega.

“I’m sorry about earlier. I got too carried away.” Kris whispered.

“Don’t be upset”. Chen comforted. “It’s not your fault alphas are s.”

“Don’t say that. You’re an alpha.” The taller man replied, nuzzling closer to Chen. “The best one on the planet.”

Chen didn’t respond. In many ways, he didn’t consider himself an alpha. With Kris being so alpha-like himself, Chen naturally took on an omega role outside. When they were out and about, Kris handled everything. He ordered their food, carried shopping bags, and he was the first to speak when they were spoken to. Behind closed doors though, Chen was the alpha between the two, always taking initiative among personal matters and especially in the bedroom.

Chen’s silence prompted Kris to change up his plans. He could tell how upset his alpha was. He lowered his body under the covers of the bed. Chen didn’t make any movements, unsure of what Kris was doing at first. It wasn’t until he felt his pants being pulled down that he realized what was going on.

“Kris? Kris hyung stop it. Hyung! Hyung, I don’t want a !” He whined childishly (yet another omega-like trait of his). Kris paused. He pushed the covers up to look Chen in the eyes.

“But you always feel better after one.” Kris said, pouting again.

“Not today.” He replied. His eyes were sad, and it was hurting his omega’s heart. Kris pulled himself back up from under the covers and pulled Chen’s head onto his chest. He began his long brown hair. Chen had recently also grown his hair out longer, now sporting a mullet matching Kris’s. Initially he was against it, preferring his hair at a shorter length, but after much persuasion from the omega, he went through with it. Someone on the outside would probably see it as an omega copying his alpha.

Kris continued with his actions for a while. He hated when his alpha was upset. It affected his mood as well. Omegas were naturally in tuned to their alpha’s emotions. If Chen was happy, Kris was happy, though his typical expression would probably suggest otherwise. If Chen was in any way upset, it put Kris down as well. They sat there quietly, each thinking, for nearly half an hour before Kris spoke up.

“Alpha, are you ashamed…of me?”

Chen’s eyes shot open. He was sure he’d misheard. He pushed himself up into a sitting position.

“What?”

“Does it bother you that I’m taller than you?” Kris asked sadly.

“What? No.” Chen responded. “When have I ever been bothered by your height?”

“Well, you’ve never said anything, but….I dunno. Sometimes I feel like you’re bothered that I’m always coming to your rescue. Especially on a day like today.” Kris mumbled most of his words into Chen’s hair, though the alpha heard him clearly enough.

Chen wasn’t sure how to feel. On one hand, yes, it bugged him that his omega had to act as his bodyguard. But that wasn’t Kris’s fault. He couldn’t blame himself for simply responding to situations in the most understandable way possible.

“I’m not ashamed Kris, not of you at least.” Chen finally replied. “If anything, I’m ashamed of myself. I should be asking this to you.”

“You know I could never be ashamed of you, alpha.” Kris said seriously. Doubt flowed through Chen’s mind. Surely Kris had at least once wished Chen was more alpha-like.

“Really? You’ve never once been bothered by having an alpha who is shorter than you and can’t protect you?” Chen’s voice was soft as he spoke. “What if one day you get into a fight? Who will protect you?”

"Are you implying I wouldn’t win a fight?” Chen could hear the pout on Kris’s lips. Chen rolled his eyes and delivered a playful smack to Kris’s chest. Everyone knew the omega had zero fighting skills whatsoever. He was tall, he was muscular, and he had an intimidating voice and presence. But in an actual fight? Well, Chen could probably take Kris on easily. The man couldn’t even beat their shorter friend, Xiumin, in arm wrestling. Not once out of 20 games. He was lucky that he towered over most other people, many were scared to attempt a fight with him.

“Dummy. You know you can’t fight.” Kris pouted again though he knew the smaller man was correct. Chen proposed the question again. “I’m serious. Don’t you ever wish you had a big, strong alpha?”

"No, never really.” Kris said after a few moments.

“Why?”

“Well, for one thing, I’m already super tall as it is. If I was with someone even taller, that would be crazy.” Kris replied, pressing a kiss to Chen’s ear. And the alpha had to admit, Kris had a point. It’s unlikely he’d even be able to find an alpha taller than him anyway.

“Okay, maybe not someone taller, but at least around the same size as you.” He asked. “And surely you’d still want someone stronger…” Kris flipped Chen over to look him in the eyes.

“Stop asking questions like that. You are the only one I want.” He said, kissing his alpha’s lips. “Even if I ever get in a fight with ten alphas, I’d rather have you by my side. I don’t need anyone bigger, stronger, or anything else. You’re the perfect alpha for me.”

Chen probably would be full-on crying if he was actually an omega, as they tended to be more emotional, but instead his eyes only had the faintest of tears present. He knew how Kris felt deep down inside, but having the affirmation made him feel just a bit better about himself. After constantly being reminded of how unlike an alpha he was, it was nice to hear Kris saying he was perfect in his view. The tall man gently wiped the tears forming in his alpha’s eyes. Chen looked up at him and smiled.

“Thank you, Kris hyung”.

“You’re welcome, alpha.”


I had to use one of Chen's songs as the title and You Never Know (underrated gem), was PERFECT. Hope you enjoyed.