Mornings with Mina

Mornings with Mina

It can already be determined by the way Momo likes her coffee sweet that she’s a morning person.

 

Even if some of her friends think that she’s not that kind of person because she sleeps late at night and even attend parties at dawn, she can still never deny the fact that she loves morning so much, even if it is somehow tiresome for her to wake up so early at some point.

 

The game changed when she met a girl that made her realized it’s just so nice to start the day with morning and not near noon.

 

That girl made her realize that she can manage her time and be more productive when she actually start her day during the morning and construct herself to do the things she needs to do for the day.

 

That way, she indeed became more productive and she finds waking up early very effective because of that.

 

Ever since she met that girl, she suddenly became a morning person and she loves everything about mornings.

 

And here is the point of what she loves the most about it—she loves starting the day with Mina.

 

Every morning with her just gives a different kind of feeling, emotion, and experience to Momo because the girl never fails to make her feel a lot of things she never feel in her whole existence.

 

Mornings with Mina is definitely the best. Though she can say that every single day and as long as she’s with her, it’s already the best, she will still emphasize mornings.

 

Every morning with Mina is warm like her favorite sweet coffee because of her hugs and gentle touches that greets her good morning and definitely makes her whole day a lot better. It’s warm because of the fact that Mina likes cuddles in the morning so much and makes them stay for five more minutes in bed. It’s warm because Mina’s personality is everything about sunshine and welcoming feeling and she loves everything about it.

 

Every morning with Mina is soft like marshmallows and their bed mattress, like the feeling of being in cloud nine and Mina’s own puffy cheeks. It’s soft to the point that Momo just wants to melt into Mina’s arms and her heart keeps on melting whenever Mina says her ‘I love you’ to her with such adorable morning voice to wake her up every morning.

 

Every morning with Mina is nice like her favorite jazz music they listen to during weekends and her favorite pancakes with chocolate syrup. Momo just personally thinks that it’s so nice to start the day with the girl because she believes she’s starting the day right and the whole day will definitely be better because Mina is by her side to cheer her up and for her to gain some energy, care, support, and love.

 

Every morning with Mina is everlasting like her favorite scent of flowers and the love she has for Mina. She wants to experience it in every single day in her life until the end. She wants to keep on seeing her every morning and starting the day with her. Mina just keeps on proving that as long as they see and feel each other first thing in the morning, rest assured that it will be the same way for the days to come.

 

Every morning with Mina is assuring like it’s always telling her that everything will be okay, that she’s always doing her best to be the better version of herself every day, that she’s proud of her and she’s doing great as the days passes by. Mina’s words are always assuring, moreover, if it’s in the morning when the both of them just came from sleep and they say honest things about each other. Mina just never fails to hold Momo’s fragile heart and assures her that she will always be loved and protected in this world by Mina.

 

And by that, Momo was reminded of the first time she met Mina that made her love the morning since then.

 

Momo can remember how exhausted she was that time because her mother told her to go to the market and buy some ingredients she needs for their meal that day as she forgot to buy some the other day and she doesn’t have any choice because her sister already went to work as well as her father.

 

She was still half-asleep wearing her tracks and slippers and needs to pass by the park in their neighborhood first before she reaches the market when a girl suddenly pass by her smelling like cherry blossoms with her hair tied in a bun, wearing just her jacket, fit top, and her jogging pants.

 

She definitely felt like her world suddenly stopped and that’s when Mina literally stopped from jogging when she saw the half-asleep Momo let go of the money she is holding from her hand.

 

“Hey, are you okay? Someone might steal your money, Miss”

 

A few gentle taps was made and Mina was convinced that Momo is indeed half-asleep and still not recovering from her deep sleep.

 

“Miss, I can accompany you to wherever you will go as long as it’s just around this neighborhood just so you can go home safely”

 

That’s when Momo went back to reality while saying sorry and bowed down 180 degrees to the girl who suddenly chuckled at her.

 

“No worries about it, Miss. So are you feeling fine?”

 

“Yeah, I guess I’m still sleepy. But thank you so much and sorry again”

 

That particular moment is still vivid in Momo’s memory not just because it’s the first time she met Mina, but also because their first meeting make her feel so embarrassed about herself and how Mina keeps on laughing at her whenever they talk about that topic.

 

And that moment alone gave Momo some motivation to fix her messed up body clock and gradually fix her sleeping schedule for her not to be that embarrassing again in front of other people during the morning, specifically if she were to face Mina again who lives in the same neighborhood as her.

 

It’s just the basic process of turning strangers to friends and eventually lovers, but Momo can say that it’s still (and Mina will always be) the best thing that happened to her because it’s not just about her instantly loving morning, but also because she learned to love an amazing person named Myoui Mina.

 

In that span of time that they spend with each other, may it be walking at the park where they first met, or going to the school they both attended during primary school, or going to the market or to the mall, or having some various and spontaneous dates, late night talks and calls—everything they do, that’s when they knew deeper and more of each other.

 

That’s when Mina learned that she turned Momo into a morning person and that they both love mornings so much because of hope and positivity it brings, as well as productivity and warm feeling. They also love sipping warm coffees and eating some traditional or American breakfast at 7 instead of 10 in the morning. They also like the morning breeze and how they can witness the sunrise most of the times and how they are together again witnessing a magnificent view unfolding in front of them.

 

They became officially lovers when Momo just casually blurted out that she loves mornings, but not as much as she loves Mina that made the latter giggle and shyly gave her a kiss in her cheek saying she feels the same.

 

They decided to live under one roof when they both received their parents’ blessings and promised to visit them during special occasions as they also want to live independently because they already have their respective jobs, that’s also the big opportunity that was given to them to have a lot more reasons to love mornings.

 

Of course, since they already live in the same place and wake up beside each other, breakfast in bed is definitely a must for the both of them, specifically to Momo because she likes eating the same way she likes cooking.

 

It’s actually the first time that she tried making some breakfast in bed for someone and she’s glad that she knows that she will keep on doing it for her girlfriend alone.

 

She surely enjoys watching her reaction in every bite she takes that totally removes her stress from burnt foods from trying in the first day and from waking up earlier than usual just to cook for the girl she loves.

 

Momo believes that she’s already full just by seeing her girlfriend enjoy the foods she made for her while half of her body is still wrapped up by their blanket and she’s still not letting go of her pillow and putting it in her thighs while eating.

 

“Momoring, in the future, if you already consider taking real cooking classes and eventually putting up your own resto, please know that I’ll be your loyal customer”

 

Mina giggly said as she finished her breakfast and drinking the orange juice left in her glass while Momo is still eating her own meal.

 

“Of course, I would like my wife to taste my cooking everyday”

 

The older winked that made the younger blushedboth because of the wink and the words she said. It’s just one of the mornings Momo will definitely cherish because Mina just enjoys the food she makes just as she likes motivating her to fulfill her childhood dream.

 

There are also mornings where both Momo and Mina are in a hurry because they slept too long and didn’t notice the time because they also forgot to set an alarm for the next time.

 

When they were both eating their breakfast in a hurry, they can’t help but laugh at themselves despite them already being late because they were really tired the other night from doing unnecessary things before sleeping like decluttering their closet and even cleaning their terrace.

 

Regardless of them in that situation, Momo can still think about the fact that they can have that kind of mornings where they still laugh and enjoy that morning because they are each other and that they still wake up from sleeping that is totally considered a blessing for her already.

 

It’s chaotic when it happened to them the first time because Mina was shouting in tiny when she opened her eyes and saw in their clock placed on their bedside table that their ‘5 minutes more’ became ’30 minutes more’.

 

“Momoring, hurry! We’re so late! I’ll cook breakfast and you can go to bath now!”

 

Instead of Momo grabbing her robe, she chuckled as she stare at their window who is showing the sun already up above its place for the day.

 

“Good morning, Mina. I’m glad to spend another morning with you, baby”

 

A short kiss was shared before they did everything they need to prepare for work and the next thing they knew, it keeps on happening at most 3 times a month and they won’t complain about it. For Momo, it’s still a ridiculous experience she will never forget.

 

There is also a particular morning that Momo will not forget in her life, not because it’s an important day for her, but because she can totally conclude and say that Mina is the sweetest person to ever exist in this world.

 

It’s the morning of her birthday and it’s her first birthday that she spent with Mina alone. It’s a Saturday and they both don’t have any work and decided not to have some overtime because they also want to relax and probably just stay home the whole day.

 

They both stayed up late at night until midnight just so Mina can be the first one to greet her personally with a sweet kiss and a sweet ‘happy birthday’ afterwards, adding the fact that she also said that the kiss is already her gift so she shouldn’t expect from her anymore that made the birthday girl giggle.

 

“I’ll forever be grateful for that then, Mitang. It’s yet the best birthday gift I received in my entire life, well maybe next to the fact that you came in to my life and decided to stay with me.”

 

Momo really thought that Mina is telling the truth when she said that the kiss is the one she will have as her birthday gift that year, however, when she woke up that morning without feeling anything beside her, she instantly panicked and had her eyes wide open when the door of their bedroom suddenly opened and it showed the person she is looking for holding a cake with candles lighten up and wearing a party hat while singing a happy birthday. It certainly made Momo shed some tears while swearing in herself and saying it’s the bestest birthday she had in her life.

 

“Happy birthday, Momoring. I love you, baby”

 

Mina extended her arms for Momo to get closer to the cake with a wide smile on her face and made her blow the candles and told her to make a wish.

 

“What’s your wish?”

 

“To spend a million more mornings like this with you, Mitang”

 

Christmas morning is also one of the best mornings with Mina for Momo because it’s a celebration she’s looking forward to, not because of the foods nor the gift she will receive, but because it’s the time for her and Mina’s family to gather together and they will have a mini panic attack on their apartment if they somehow forgot some gifts for their cousins that they do not where they put, even if they already prepared everything the night before.

 

It is also the type of morning they both enjoy winter the most because of the snow and the breeze it has. It feels like they are being brought back to their childhood and the first time they witnessed snow in their entire life.

 

“Merry Christmas, Mina.”

 

“Merry, Christmas, Momo.”

 

Along with the hot chocolate their share in the morning during the Christmas season, they also share some chicken kisses before they prepare themselves to go to Myoui’s residence like they usually do during Christmas as the Hirai family goes there ever since the both of them became gilrfriends.

 

Momo is personally thankful that their families are getting along together and that she don’t foresee any chaos that will happen once they decide to settle down (that is a whole different story for her to tell).

 

Along with Christmas, the first morning of the new year is also special for Momo because it just means that there’s another year ahead of them and that they can spend another year with each other, their relationship going stronger than ever.

 

It’s like a blessing for Momo because she is given yet another year to live with her one and only love and she keeps on hoping to do better everyday to give herself and her girlfriend a brighter future. 

 

It is also the time for them to remember their promises to one another that they will not let go of each other’s hand, that they will not give up on each other and their goals, and that they will stay no matter what circumstance and no matter what hardship they may face in the future.

 

“It’s so nice to spend another morning and another year with you, Mitang”

 

“I feel the same way, Momoring. I want to spend a lot more mornings and new years with you, baby”

 

There’s also mornings where they feel like spending some time hiking, camping, and staying atop of a mountain just because they want some experience and want to have some adventures.

 

Even though it is hard for the both of them as they are already adults and their body is not that active anymore, even if they are both just in their 30s, they still went up carefully just so they can fulfill their goal of seeing the sea of clouds so early in the morning.

 

“Wake up, baby. It’s already morning, you might want to see our view”

 

Momo said as she gently taps Mina’s cheek while waiting for the latter to get up as she is so ready to leave their tent. Mina then slowly opened her eyes and smiled.

 

“But my view is already the prettiest, though.”

 

It made Momo chuckle and blush at the same time that made her grab Mina’s hands.

 

“Come on, gorgeous. Let’s see the sea of clouds outside. I promise you, this is one of the best mornings you’ll ever love in your entire love.”

 

“Not as much as I love you”

 

Mina said when they finally saw the whole view in front of them 3 minutes after they walked outside from their tent.

 

It’s breathtaking, sure. But there’s nothing more breathtaking and worth everything than hearing Mina’s words as she looks so lovingly into Momo’s round eyes that made the latter shed a tear.

 

“Oh, I love you so much, Myoui Mina”

 

And another morning where they finally had the vacation they want to have for almost a year already as they fly overseas for a whole week vacation with their phones off for notifications from their respective companies.

 

They can both say that it is a great experience considering the fact that they indeed saved up for that trip and that they are more than ready to explore the whole country in just a week—trying different places, hidden or known, trying different foods, local or international, trying different activities, and a whole lot more.

 

Some also say that if a couple travels abroad, that’s when they can know each other deeply, different from their own daily experiences, moreover, if they already live in the same place because it’s a foreign environment and both are not familiar with it and therefore they both need to survive by trusting and believing in each other.

 

For Mina and Momo, since the both of them deeply understands one another, they do not have much misunderstandings when they travelled abroad, except the fact that they keep on bickering about the person who will carry the heavier luggage, but in the end, they will laugh and just save and cherish a whole lot of memories with photos and videos.

 

“I hope to travel the world and spend different mornings in different time zones with you, Momoring”

 

And the first morning when they had a major fight happened, too.

 

It’s indeed a major fight considering that both are already crying and Momo is already raising her voice at Mina that certainly makes the latter scared.

 

It was the morning when Momo saw a medical record hanging in their bedside table while Mina is preparing for work and arranging her things in their living room.

 

“Mina, what is this?”

 

“Yes, baby? What’s what?”

 

Mina asked smilingly as she enters their bedroom when she saw her girlfriend holding the thing she has been hiding for how many months already.

 

“It’s not—“

 

“Mina, what is this? Just please, answer me”

 

“Momo, I swear, it’s not what you’re thinking about. I’m fully okay and I can recover in a few months if I’ll be careful with myself”

 

“Mina, you didn’t even consider saying your condition to me when it’s already serious? Are you planning to tell me when it’s already too late? Right now? Well, this life! that disease! Why are you so selfish, thinking that I won’t get hurt when you will just hide it from me? Are you saying that when I found out about this, I will leave you and break you and make you cry? Well, this! You’re my other half and yet it doesn’t feel like it!”

 

“Momo, please, hear me out. I have my reasons. I need to hide it from you because I don’t want you to be worried once I’m gone.”

 

“You’re selfish, Mina! You’re so selfish but I can’t get to hate you because no matter what I do, I will still keep on loving you!”

 

It’s not a usual giggly and lively morning for the both of them because their tears just can’t stop running down in their faces as Mina’s chest tightens and she is already running out of breath.

 

And it’s not definitely the kind of morning Mina and Momo wants to have in the days to come.

 

When Mina was not feeling well the next morning, Momo was next to her and did her best to take care of her as if there’s no thunderstorm nor major fight that happened between the both of them.

 

She keeps on cuddling with her, providing the things she needs and wants even if Mina insists that can do it by herself.

 

“No. I want you to listen to me and just rest for a while, Mitang. Trust me on this, I don’t want you to get tired or for your condition to be worse. Just hang in there, okay?”

 

“I don’t have a choice, right?”

 

Mina chuckled and Momo kissed her forehead.

 

“I don’t want to lose you yet, Mitang. I don’t want to lose you ever, baby.”

 

“I’ll stay right beside you until the end, Momoring”

 

“We’re okay, yeah?”

 

The younger hums and it’s already enough for Momo to keep going. She just doesn’t want to lose Mina in all ways.

 

The next week and another morning comes, instead of Mina’s condition getting better, it keeps on getting worse as she experience a lot more symptoms of her lung disease and Momo is so nervous about it because she doesn’t know if she will already tell their family about it or respect Mina’s decision not to let them know because they might be more furious than Momo’s initial reaction.

 

Mina cannot breathe. It keeps on getting harder to breathe and she frequently coughs and her heart beat keeps on increasing in an unusual manner. Momo keeps on giving her water, insisting for them to stay at their terrace to get some fresh air and advice Mina not to go to work and not wear fitted clothes for a while.

 

When Momo cooks her favorite breakfast that morning, the girl hasn't even taken a single bite, no matter how excited she was back then whenever her girlfriend surprises her with that meal.

 

Every morning just keeps on getting heavier, but Momo doesn’t want to give up, she doesn’t want to give everything up for the love of her life.

 

Once there was another usual, normal morning for the both of them when Mina is feeling better and Momo is giggly, they cook breakfast together and loves having some backhugs as Mina slips her chin in Momo’s shoulder while the latter is cooking some eggs and trying to place a kiss on Mina’s cheek.

 

Mina was the one assigned to toast some bread and make some juice for the both of them, as well, and it’s Momo’s turn to give a back hug to the girl that the latter surely loves.

 

“Good morning, baby”

 

“We’re awake for almost 30 minutes already. Stop.”

 

“What? Am I not allowed to greet good morning when as far as I know this feels like the first time we cooked some breakfast together, even if we technically did not cook everything?”

 

The younger gave a peck on Momo’s lips and instantly went to her seat.

 

“Stop complaining and eat breakfast, Ms. Hirai”

 

Oh, how Momo likes to keep on hearing Mina’s tone and words, particularly when she calls her like that and how she wishes they keep on having those kind of mornings in the next years to come.

 

There’s also one particular Sunday morning where they have too much energy gained from sleeping and therefore they decided to turn their speakers on and played some jazz music as they dance to the rhythm and giggle at each other.

 

They do not care if they have random dance steps, as long as they can feel the music and the rhythm dancing along with their body.

 

It feels surreal knowing that they do not care about anything except each other’s happiness.

 

And another weekend morning where Mina asked Momo to go to her in the sea because she likes to feel the sea breeze and just stay there in the whole morning to feel the tranquility it gives.

 

“Momo, why did you stay all throughout the years?”

 

“Because I love you”

 

It’s a random question, but Momo never had second thoughts on answering because it is indeed how she feels for Mina and she just know that it will never change until the end.

 

That morning is a special one for Momo because that’s when Mina promised her that she will keep on fighting and Momo assured her that she will be with her all throughout her battle.

 

The sea breeze is comforting and serene, but there’s nothing warmer and welcoming than Momo’s own arms, according to Mina.

 

Once Momo prepared everything she needs for the special event she planned for another morning with Mina, it doesn’t go well as she exactly planned.

 

“Good morning, baby. Wake up. I have a surprise for you”

 

She carefully wakes her girlfriend up and when Mina finally opened her eyes, it is obvious to the girl that she suddenly has the inability to speak and she has grayish lips and swelling legs. It made Momo panicked.

 

“Mina? What’s happening? Are you okay?”

 

“Hmm”

 

“Mina? Please, don’t. No, please. I can’t. Let’s get you to the hospital, yeah? Hang in there, baby.”

 

Momo put a thick padded jacket on her and Mina as she carries her down the parking lot and drove fast to the hospital while crying and holding Mina’s hands as she prays deeply for nothing except for Mina’s safety and life.

 

It was a great morning Momo as she already prepared Mina’s favorite traditional breakfast alongside the ring she wants Mina to wear on her ring finger as a symbol of her love and a request to spend the rest of her life with her. However, instead of her morning proposal that is supposed to be added in her ‘mornings with Mina’ favorite collection, her girlfriend was instead sent to the hospital and fighting for her life.

 

It freaking hurts for Momo.

 

It freaking hurts knowing that she doesn’t have anything else to do except to accept the reality that Mina’s lung disease is already in a critical condition and it cannot be more treated with just operations and medications.

 

It freaking hurts knowing that she keeps on crying instead of being brave and giving strength to the love of her life.

 

It freaking hurts knowing that they both promised one another to keep on loving each other until the end and yet Mina was there, already lifeless, haven't even had the chance to say her sweet ‘yes’ to Momo as her future wife.

 

And that just struck Momo.

 

She will never have another morning with Mina because the girl is already gone.

 

She will never have another warm, silly, comforting, assuring, happy, genuine, exciting, soft, nice morning with Mina ever again.

 

She suddenly doesn’t want to see and look forward with mornings anymore as Momo will never have another morning with Mina.