Affection

Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          After a hundred times of tossing and turning to find my most comfortable position in bed, I finally give up. I sit up and cursed internally as I start massaging my temples roughly. Suddenly, it feels like trying to sleep tonight is more stressful than the whole day I spent in the university today. The fact that it's also that time of the month doesn't help in my current situation. 

This morning, I unintentionally made Jaehyun suffer from me having my premenstrual syndrome again and when I got to class, I really almost lost it when we were suddenly thrown tons of requirements by some of our inconsiderate professors; when they know a two-day holiday break is approaching, they give a ton of take home tasks as if the break would actually last for a whole month.

During our dinner tonight, I was feeling so petulant and sensitive that I unintentionally scolded Jaehyun for forgetting my favorite pizza and ordering my least favorite instead. Jaehyun had to do the dishes afterwards because of the sudden ache in my stomach; he brought me some painkiller he found in the house and a warm towel but the pain wouldn't go away so I decided to just stay in bed while he stayed in the living room, after surviving the dishes, for awhile to finish this book he's been reading recently; he knows he won't be able to read in our room because he's aware that I can't sleep with the lights on.

I stand up from bed with both of my hands clutching my lower abdomen to look for Jaehyun in the living room. It has already been almost half an hour since I had attempted to sleep away the pain in my head and stomach, but I still haven't seen Jaehyun enter our room since then, not even once.

The moment I leave the room, I hear the front door open. "Harin? Why did you get up?" Jaehyun locks the door and quickly jogs towards me with a black plastic bag hanging on his wrist.

"I can't sleep. Where have you been, Jaehyun?" I speak somnolently and quietly.

"I went out to get you these." He points to the bag he's holding. "Come." He tells me as he gently pulls me to the couch.

"Does your tummy still hurt?" He reaches for my lower abdomen to massage it lightly. Seeing how genuinely worried his eyes look, I lie and nod my head, "a little".

He kisses my forehead chastely before he opens up the bag in his hand. My eyes widen at the sight of the plethora of items he had bought for me. Tons of pills which I assumed are for headache and stomachache, chocolates, jellies, three cartons of banana milk, hot packs and the astounding number of menstrual pads.

He then start explaining the items he had bought, "These pills. We ran out of them so I decided to get extras just in case this happens again. The chocolates and jellies, well, you crave these when it's the red day. The hot packs are for your angry little tummy."

"Why are there three cartons of banana milk?" I cut him off with a sly grin. He knows I prefer strawberry milk and we both know it's him who loves banana milk the most between us.

"Um.. well, the two cartons are for you and the other one's mine. Also, I figured you might want to try out your boyfriend's favorite this time since you've already taken a lot of that strawberry milk this morning." He winked playfully and I chortle at his cuteness, almost forgetting the pain in my lower body.

"What about these pads?" I ask, crossing my arms across my chest.

"They're for you." He answers proudly.

"I know, Jaehyun. What I meant was, I appreciate this a lot but you just bought me an almost, like, four months supply of menstrual pad.. with different sizes." Considering his sweet effort, I try to explain myself to him but I doubt he'll get what I mean. Also, I know I shouldn't tell him that I don't use those small sized pads because they're very much prone to leakage and the fact that pads are not that inexpensive and he bought a ton makes me feel really bad.

"And? It doesn't matter to me, Harin. I can even buy you your one year supply of these for bloody day or whatever you call it pads if you would want me to." He shrugs, beaming with naivety at me. 

"That's not it, Jaehyun." I play with both of our hands that are resting comfortably on my lap. 

"What is it, then? Tell me. Did I buy your least favorite brand agai.."

Mortified, I cut him off. "Oh my God, no. That's not what I mean, Jaehyun." I hesitate before I finally speak. "At least let me pay you back for the pads. These are a bit expensive and you bought so many. Just how much on earth did you pay for all of this.." I say, mumbling the last sentence inaudibly.

"Baby, why are you being so serious over such matter? I don't mind spending this much for you if that means you won't suffer from pain anymore, okay?" Jaehyun brings his hands up to cup my cheeks warmly.

"Just.. let me pay for the pads, please." It's embarrassing for me to have Jaehyun buy me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter