Bittersweet

Bittersweet

The thunder roared. We were soaked from running blocks to the bistro. Running was not my forte, and since it was raining, it made my pace slow.

"Hyo Joo try and keep up will you?" Nara teased

"I almost slipped while trying" I said while catching my breath. I look at them and they looked like a couple. a lovely one, its sweet.

"Dang it! I should've seen that"

"wow, no need to shove your ery to my face Jongsuk. I already had enough every time you decided to speak"

"ok how bout lets just go up to the bistro yea? Ms. Sassy and Mr. ?" We laughed.


Jongsuk gave me a wink while I gave him a smirk. Everyone waited just for us three. To them, it's just a party. But to us... It's more than that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"While we are waiting for her, I want to spill what's gonna happen tonight." He whispered since we're in Nara's house.

"But before that, can I tell you something? This is the only time we can talk privately" I said with high hopes. I really didn't have the chance to speak up about what I feel since I want it private. Just me, and Jong Suk. He probably didn't feel the same way, but I don't wanna keep it in any longer. But he shuts my mouth before I could say anything.

"No. I go first" excitedly smiles and- "So I've been keeping this in for months now, but I'm really in love with Nara."

There it is. Of course, it's her. My chest ached every time he opened his damn mouth. I tried to stop my eyes from crying. I tried to show interest in every word he spoke. I tried not to show any emotion as he spoke about him confessing tonight at the bistro where we first met and became best friends. But I put my feelings aside again, for my best friend. It was supposed to be just us three. No rule, no problems, and even no love. I thought we'd stay friends forever. Even I tried to cover up my feelings for him, and ing hell it hurts. I ing gave up love for friendship. How stupid for me to think he'd also do the same thing.

"... and I got the flowers and her favorite Pokemon plushie to go with it too. And my colleagues will be there so it's not just us three. gosh, I'm so nervous what if I don't pull this off?.... Hyo Joo?"

for a sec I realized I wasn't looking at him but at a distance. I was thinking about how it became like this. Wondering how love becomes love. How I secretly fell for him while he fell for her. My eyes met him, now it's his that were looking at the same distance. Huh, and every day I wondered if our eyes will ever meet each other.

" your extra didn't have to do that but ok" I joked. I thought it came out as mean but when he laughed I was at ease.

"But I'm serious though. I really want it to work"

"And it will, just don't worry and be yourself"

"ok, but can you say something that's not cliché?"

"Nope, can't help it" We laughed.

"Right, you said you wanted to tell me something earlier?"

"oh, that?" I leaned in and pretend to whisper something "It was nothing~" I laughed

"goddamnit," once again he showed me the most wholesome smile I saw in ages. It never gets old. I erased mine too quickly even he noticed it.

"Is something bothering you?" his concerned face looked at me while I didn't. I'm afraid that once I'll stare at his eyes I'll break down in front of him.

"No."

"eyyyy, are you sure?"

"yes"

"You don't want it to happen, do you?"

"why would you say that? as your best friend, I only want what makes you happy. And I know you wanna be with her"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The thunder roared again. But the rain is not so strong anymore. I stared at the window after drying my damp hair at a small fan nearby. The bistro was full of his friends. Back then it was just us three, those were the best times. But I shouldn't keep reminiscing more. I mean... It'll all change tonight. His colleague offered me a drink. I sat back to watch as he unfolds his surprise. He grabs her lady by the hand and makes her stand in the same spot she was 3 yrs ago. "Nara... When we met, You stood here. Gave me the most beautiful smile, and after that, We just danced the night away." He knelt and gave her the flowers and the plushie. Just like what I taught him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ok, but what do I say in front of her?"

"just say you like her, and ask if she wants to be your girlfriend."

"But I wanted to stand out"

"ok fine memorize this and shut up" I took out my phone, sent him a dm, and it said

"I wanna treasure that smile forever. I want to see it the first thing I wake up, to the last thing I see when I fall asleep-"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"- In other words, I wanna be with you forever." He hands the flowers and plushie to the dumbfounded Nara.

"I'm really happy when I'm with you and I want this chance to make you as happy as you make me. Nara, will you be my lover?" Flustered Nara tried to wipe her tears while being a bit embarrassed because so many people captured it with their phones. She nodded and gave her new boyfriend a tight hug. I chugged the last of my beer. slowly getting ready to go home, suddenly his friends yelled "Give her a kiss!!!". His hands cupped her face and they kissed. "That's my best friend!!!" I said. Oh, the will to say that out loud got me a bit overwhelmed. The bistro filled with happiness and laughter after that whole love scenario. Even for how many hours. I walked to the balcony, where it's quiet and the only sound was from the rain and the small radio playing a ballad. Apparently, the title is Bittersweet, like my life.

"Oh God finally, I did it" He then pulls a chair and sat beside me.

"and?"

"Thank you for the dm message thing. I wouldnt have done this without you."

"Hey, no worries. That's what best friends are for," I said with a faint smile.

"But uh, you look a bit down lately." Ngl, It's enough to make me cry. Which is why I asked him to accompany me down to the entrance.

"But it's still raining tho. won't you need like an umbrella or jacket or hoodie smthn?" He didn't join me outside, which was ok since he wouldnt recognize that I'm actually crying in front of him by just than less a meter apart while he mistook my tears for raindrops. This may be the only time where I'm not smiling in the rain.

"I'm fine. You know my love for rainy nights."

"Ok since I accompanied you here, shouldn't you at least tell me what's on your mind? And don't even try to change the topic this time." Damn he got me good. I'm tired of pretending that everything is fine so I might just say it all.

"I like you. I hid my feelings pretty well huh?"

His face was the literal definition of "Idk what to say" it was cute, yet sad

"But why now?"

It was back at her house when I realized that it was him and two moons "Because I chose friendship. You chose love. And I respect that. Even though it hurts every time I think of you. I'm sorry it happened like this." He was silent. Bewildered. "I gotta go, had some stuff to do."

"Wait-.... But can we still be friends?" I didn't say anything. Not long he hugged me the way he hugged his girlfriend, he can't let go. But I can. I must, let go.