001. show you off

desktop background 💻
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JACKSON POV

 

“Girlfriend desktop background” searching...

Waiting for my name to be called, I quickly search a picture I can use to set as my new desktop background. I am invited to be one of the guest speakers for a conference at the corporation I do business with and give motivational speech about how I started my business.

I am the third speaker among the four invited, and listening to the first two, I realized how the participants are so interested to know the speakers love life and that bothered me a little. It’s been four years since my last relationship and I’m so done of people asking me why am I still single. So to avoid the question even before someone can come up to, I thought of a little white lie.

“There!” Finally, I found the picture I am looking for – a candid photo of a girl. I downloaded the picture from pinterest for I will only see famous celebrities on Instagram. I made sure to edit a little before setting it on. I want it to be believable.

“And set” Just like that, I now have a new desktop background, I have a life-saver.

To whoever this girl is, I hope she’s doing good in life, but I hope she's not someone famous, it'll be so embarrassing if she is.

“Jackson Wang” I am called finally, so carrying my laptop, I walked to the stage and someone from the staff took my laptop from me. Normally, I only need to bring my flash drive for there will be laptop set; but now, I decided to use my own.

The IT personnel connected it to the projector while I introduce myself. I didn’t close my laptop and made sure to open the presentation I prepared, so my desktop background will be a little surprise.

IRENE POV

“Hmmmm,” Oh god, my head hurts. What happened? think, Irene, think. Oh, yes, I drank more to what I could take. And it is because of my hopeless romantic bestfriend, Sooyoung. I was supposed to do my laundry last night but she called thirty before ten and cried hysterically on the line.

Her boyfriend, broke up with her. Just like how my ex-boyfriend broke up with me six months ago. Boys… boys are dogs.

“I won’t be doing this anymore!” Ofcourse I only said that out of the headache I am feeling. But I will surely do it again, I do enjoy time with my friends, dance floor and alcohol.

Few more minutes and I got off bed and walked my way to the bathroom and washed my face.

This is when I always feel beautiful

“Waffle” After washing my face, I head to the kitchen, anticipating to make the most delicious waffle for my brunch – it’s 12:45pm.

While preparing for my breakfast, I suddenly thought of why do girls cry over boys? I mean, is it worth is for us to cry over them? My boyfriend broke up with me because he told me he cannot see himself, growing old with me; and while I spent months crying, he starts dating the girl "he can see his future with"

 Ouch!

I mean, he should’ve told me earlier; maybe on our 100th day? Our sixth month; first anniversary? Or fine, I can still let it go if he did on our second anniversary, but no, he let me waste four years of my life with him, only to tell me that he cannot see a future with me. .

Anyway, my waffle is ready.

JACKSON POV

“Again, it won’t be easy, the walk you’ll take will be exhausting, painful, and sometimes lonely, but always remember, once you get there, it will be all worth it” I don’t tend to sound cheesy in any speech I do but my friends always tell me I kinda do.

This is the time.

It's the end of my speech but there will be another ten to fifteen minutes for me to entertain questions from some of the participants and I am very sure, I will be getting questions about my love life; questions about why am I single; questions about my future plans. better put a stop into it now.

“Ohhhhhhhh” The crowd giggled in unison.

I intentionally closed the PowerPoint presentation rather than freezing it into the last slide to show off the picture I downloaded earlier.   

Showing off my girlfriend

“Sir, is that your girlfriend?” Someone from the front row asked. I pretended to be unaware and dramatically looked back at the screen.

“Oh” As if I am surprised. I feel so stupid doing what I was doing but I should not look like a loser, no. Now I realized why my friends always tell me that I am a full-time businessman and a frustrated actor.

I wouldn’t say ‘yes’ ofcourse, I should act cool, shouldn’t I? So I just gave a smile and let my desktop background stay there for few more minutes before I disconnected the projector.

Yes!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter