Gone

Gone

Jennie was scrolling through her Facebook timeline when she saw that her longtime crush and best friend, Kai, messaged her about a concert happening later at 6pm. 

 

“Well, guess I have to go.” Jennie chuckled. She immediately went to take a bath and prepared for the evening. After taking a shower, she looked at the clock mounted on the wall beside the TV. It read 6:20 pm. 

 

“Oh crap, wait for me.” She said while hurrying to get dressed and put on some light makeup to finish the look. She wore a black tube top with a white and blue button up shirt on top, black sneakers and jeans. 

 

When she got out, she hailed a tricycle since the venue is just near her house. It was a short ride but as time passes she’s getting nervous. 

 

“Why am I even trembling? Ugh this is not like me.” She said and forced herself to calm down. 

 

At the venue, she saw Kai waiting for her by the gate. He waved at her and smiled cutely.

 

Oh gosh, that smile. Jennie bit her lip to prevent herself from smiling. 

 

“Let’s go, everyones inside already. You really love being late don’t you?” Kai said in a teasing manner.

 

Jennie just rolled her eyes and led him inside, arms interlocking. 

 

The band was already performing when they got inside. They were currently performing “Captivated”, which is one of their hit songs. 

 

Jennie got excited and sang along while still clinging on to Kai. Little did she know, Kai was looking at her with so much adoration. He enjoyed the beautiful view of his best friend singing along to her favorite song. 

 

“Oh, they don't see you as I do

You are so beautiful

Come breathe within my soul”

 

That part hit like a school bus. These two beautiful people are in love with each other, yet so unaware of it. Both of them are enjoying the performance while being mindful of each other’s presence. 

 

30 minutes passed and the concert came to an end. Everyone was gradually leaving the venue. Jennie bid her goodbyes to her friends and was about to go home when Kai offered to take her home. 

 

“Umm, let’s go grab some McDonald’s first, I’m sure you’re hungry.” Kai said. Jennie just smiled and nodded as they went to the fast food chain. They ordered food and ate it on the way to the jeepney terminal. 

 

There was an awkward silence on the way to the terminal. They were both munching on their food, trying to avoid each other’s eyes. Unfortunately, Jennie couldn’t help herself but to look at Kai. He did the same. They broke eye contact and chuckled to themselves. All the people that they encountered were staring at them, so she quickly hushed and scolded him for being childish. They fell into a comfortable silence once again.

 

No one was saying anything yet there was that small connection that made the walk bearable. At last, they finally got inside the jeep. They talked quietly about the events that happened earlier and made silly jokes about their singing. Everyone inside was actually looking weirdly at them.

 

Eventually, it was time for Jennie to get off. She got off and waved goodbye to Kai. As soon as the jeepney disappeared, Jennie felt giddy and broke down in tears.

 

There was nothing more horrifying and comforting at the same time than eating her favorite food while relieving her memories with her best friend Kai, who died in a car accident last month.