chapter 1: house fire

Keeping up with the Jangs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yujin has been sitting in Yena's car for 10 minutes already since they arrived in front of their house. She slumped on the leather-covered seat as she busied her hands scrolling down on her Twitter feed. 

" Hey, why don't you get out of my car so I can leave already? " 

" Nah. " Yujin did not even bother to look at her older friend. Instead, she keeps on retweeting every tweet that Chaewon made two years ago just to mess with her. " Let me stay here for a bit. You know how I feel about going back to my house, right? " 

Yena hugged the steering wheel and sighed. Yujin is acting like a massive pain in the . She can't keep loitering around the streets just because Yujin is too awkward to see her cousins who live under the same roof as her since last month. " What's your deal with the Jangs, anyway? They're not horrible people and besides, sharing a space with the popular girls in our school is everyone's dream. " 

" Well, if my situation is everyone's dream, then someone wake me up because this is a nightmare! " Yujin fumed, crossing her arm like a child in the middle of her tantrum.

Yena had been friends with Yujin ever since they were kids. Yujin was a sweet and loyal person. At least when her parents were still alive. Yena acknowledged Yujin's pain for the loss of her parents, and she also promised herself that she will always watch over the younger girl. Still, as someone who cares about Yujin's welfare, Yena was glad that Yujin's relatives asked her cousins to live with her temporarily.

But it seems like Yujin doesn't appreciate Jang Minju and Jang Wonyoung's presence in her big but empty house. 

" Can you at least try to get along with them? " Yena huffed. " I'm worried about you, kid. " 

" I know. " Yujin replied sullenly, still looking at her phone. " I'll try my best for you and Chaewon..." she opened to speak more but hesitated.

" But? " Yena tilted her head because she had a gut feeling that Yujin wants to talk more about her situation. 

Yujin nibbled on her lower lip as she watches a red Jaguar XE stopped in their driveway. A girl with long wavy jet black hair with pink highlights came out from the car, followed by some jock from Yujin's class. 

" Hey, is Wonyoung dating J-" 

Yujin covered her ears and started shouting nonsensical words to prevent Yena from saying the guy's name. " BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH!!!! " 

" What are you, five?! " Yena scolded her friend and removed Yujn's hands from covering her ears. " Jesus Christ, Yujin! You're ing seventeen, act like one! " 

" Okay! " Yujin raised her hands in defeat. " Just refer to him as [redacted] or something. " 

" Why are you still doing censoring people you don't want to know like someone is going to edit that out for you. " Yena said. " We're not in a reality tv show, weirdo. " 

Yujin was pissed that her friend is scolding her, but she kept an eye towards [redacted] as he talks to her cousin. She genuinely doesn't care about what kind of guys her cousins are dating, but Yujin was territorial. She doesn't want any strangers near her house. 

" Look, Wonyoung is waving at us. " Yena was about to nudge her friend, but her elbow felt nothing but air. Yujin has already slipped down on her seat to hide from Wonyoung. 

" Do you have a Wonphobia or something? " Yena rested her left hand on the steering wheel and used her other hand to wave back to Wonyoung. 

" What the heck is a Wonphobia? " Yujin asked in her pretzel position on the floor. She was too tall to fit comfortably inside Yena's car. 

" Irrational fear for Jang Wonyoung, your cousin. " Yena stated. " A year younger than you, gained the title The school's darling despite being a freshman. " 

" That's a lot to remember. " Yujin replied. Her body is starting to hurt. " And no, I don't have Wonphobia. I just... " 

" What? " 

" She's kind of weird. " Yujin blew air through . " Is she gone? " 

" Yeah, she went inside your house. " Yena said and watched [redacted]'s car drove away. 

" That's so much worse. " Yujin raised her hand towards Yena. " Can you help me to get up? I can't move. " 

Yena firmly took Yujin's hand and pulled her. " That's the effect of Wonphobia. Just by the mere sight of the Jang Wonyoung, a weak and inferior creature such as Ahn Yujin is bound to be paralyzed. " 

" Shut up. Stop making Wonphobia a thing. " Yujin hissed. 

Yena could only smirk at her friend. " But it already is. " 

xxx 

When Minju was told that she has to live with their cousin temporarily, she was slightly disappointed in her parents that they have to ask such a request when Minju already had a life in her old school. She had great friends, her teachers adored her, and she was the next in line for being their cheerleading team once she became a sop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter