speaker

misconnected to you

“YOUR BLUETOOTH DEVICE IS CONNECTED SUCCESSFULLY!”

 

Chaewon almost falls down from her chair when her speaker suddenly connected to a device. She immediately checks her phone and laptop but none of them are having their Bluetooth on. She’s confused and is about to turn off her speaker before a familiar song starts playing. 

 

“So, someone really did connect their device to my speaker.” Chaewon thought as she furrows her eyebrows, trying to remember when did she heard this song before. 

 

“I’ve been crying for a while,

Because I couldn’t see your heart,”

 

That’s her housemate’s favorite song! Now, she is more than sure that Yena is the one who accidentally connects her device to Chaewon’s speaker. She then stands up and steps out of her room, walking to the room beside hers. 

 

She softly knocks on the door as it’s past midnight already though she knows the older isn’t asleep yet. A soft series of steps can be heard from the other side of the door, signifying that the older woman is nearing the door. 

 

A soft smile immediately decorates Chaewon’s face as she’s met with the familiar soft brown orbs; the orbs that never fail to put Chaewon’s heart to ease. They aren’t that close if Chaewon really looks at it thoroughly but somehow she feels like she’s home; the home that makes you feel warm and safe and comfortable, whenever she opens the house’s door after the exhausting lectures and sees Yena. The presence of Yena itself is enough to make her feel like that.

 

But again, they aren’t that close so Chaewon keeps all those thoughts to herself again when Yena clears .

 

“Is there something wrong, Chaewon?”

 

Chaewon immediately bites her lower lips out of embarrassment before she spills the reason why she is knocking on the older’s door this late.

 

“I think your phone accidentally connected itself to my speaker.” 

 

“Ah, that’s why there isn’t any sound coming out from my speaker.”

 

Chaewon smiles fondly upon seeing Yena’s cute reaction before continuing, “By the way, that was a good choice of song, Unnie.” She smiles sheepishly when Yena smiles wide; too wide that her eye smiles are showing clearly despite the lack of light in the hallway.  After saying her shy thanks to Chaewon, Yena excuses herself while showing her Nintendo Switch as she is in a game with her best friends. Chaewon then advises her to not stay up too late before excusing herself too.

 

Upon arriving at her own room, Chaewon sits back at her chair and continues doing her assignments for tomorrow’s classes with the widest smile on her face.





 

--




 

“Hey.”

 

A slow whisper that almost can’t be heard only if Chaewon wasn’t waiting for Yena to knock on her door again this night. She turns her body around and lifts an eyebrow, questioning Yena’s ‘sudden’ visit though she knows very well the reason behind it.

 

“Was it connected to yours again?”

 

Yena’s furrowed eyebrows really are softening her heart now despite the fact that Yena has successfully connected her phone to Chaewon’s speaker and scared the out of her for too many times that Chaewon has lost count of it already.

 

“Yeah.” “I’m sor-” “I almost got a heart attack, you know?” Chaewon sees how guilt is present on Yena’s face again but she decides to tease the slightly older more. “Who the hell listens to upbeat songs at 3 in the morning, Unnie?” 

 

Yeah, they have gotten closer as time passes by; thanks to Yena’s endless clumsiness of choosing the wrong speaker again and again, that she would make jokes time to time about Yena’s choice of songs.

 

“I was just testing the speaker again, in case I connected it to the wrong speaker again, which I did...” 

 

She wants to continue her tease but she might make the older cries so she stops there and convinces her that it’s okay and she isn’t mad at all. Once the intruding head disappears, Chaewon can’t contain her wide smile again at how adorable her housemate looks today.






 

--





 

“Chae?”

 

Chaewon furrows her eyebrows in confusion as the speaker hasn’t made it sudden noise again today yet the soft call of her name can already be heard. She turns her head and her eyes meet Yena’s soft light brown orbs, with a glint of anguish visible inside it.

 

Without wasting any seconds, she stands up straight and hastily walks toward Yena before pulling her inside her small room.

 

“What’s wrong, Unnie?”

 

“I can’t… sleep…”

 

Chaewon can feel a sudden jolt inside her heart when Yena turns her head away from Chaewon, trying to hide the uneasiness inside her vulnerable eyes.

 

“Did someone hurts you? Did someone make fun of you? Did someone as-”

 

“It’s overwhelming…” 

 

Chaewon’s questions halt as Yena’s low and husky voice cuts her off. Without any words more, she drags Yena to her bed, making both of them sit at the edge of the bed. 

 

“What is?”

 

“The assignments. It’s supposed to be a partner work but my partner, he won’t answer my texts nor my calls.”

 

Chaewon sighs as it’s something out of her control; unless she tries contacting Yena’s partner. She knows how easygoing Yena is; to the point that people keep using it on her but now that she is here, she is going to make sure no one would be able to do that to Yena again.

 

“Give me your partner’s number.”

 

“Wh-what?”

 

“I’ll try to contact him.”

 

After a few reasoning, Yena finally gave in and texted Chaewon his partner’s number.

 

“Hello? Who is this?”

 

“Are you perhaps Yoo Junsang from Art Department?”

 

“Yes, I am. What is it that so urgent you need to disturb my sleep?”

 

Now, this Junsang guy is definitely trying to get into Chaewon’s nerve. She clears before politely ask,

 

“Are you informed that you are Choi Yena’s partner for your latest assignments, Jungsang-ssi?”

 

“Yes?”

 

And his nonchalant answer breaks Chaewon’s thin wall of patience.

 

“Then do your freaking work, !”

 

“What the hell?!”

 

“Unless you want me to tell my father to fail you the whole semester, you better start doing your own part, Junsang-ssi!”

 

Chaewon huffs in anger as she ends the call abruptly without waiting for that guy’s reply; obviously leaving Yena in awe.

 

“Chae…”

 

Chaewon is pulled out of her own bubble of anger when the husky and familiar voice enters her sense. She shifts her gaze and meets Yena’s light brown orbs that are filled with amusement. She scratches her nape in embarrassment and shifts her gaze away again as she just realized that it was her first time lashing out in front of her housemate after almost a year living together.

 

“I think I can sleep now.” 

 

Chaewon chuckles upon hearing how amused Yena sounds. She just shyly smiles at the older as Yena stands up, ready to go back to her room.

 

“I bet he’s working his off now.” Yena giggles and Chaewon feels like her heart skips a beat when Yena suddenly pulls her into a hug. 

 

“Thanks, Chae.”

 

“Y-yeah, anytime, Unnie.” 









 

--









 

Chaewon is having a bad day today. People keep on pissing her off, and by people she specifically means Junsang. After the night that she cursed at the annoying guy, Junsang seems like he wants to seek revenge for his disturbed sleep. Junsang spread over a bad rumor of her saying that she is dating this nerd guy in her class. It was bearable for the first few days but it starting to get into her nerve. 

 

If only people know that she’s not into guys. But they don’t and that is what frustrates Chaewon the most. The nerd guy isn’t helping at all. Does he thinks smiling when people asking him about the rumor will make people think it isn’t true?!

 

People keep on asking her if the rumor was true. Some even straight-up while she was walking through the hallway. And she surely doesn’t take them well but decides that it is best for everyone if she holds her anger back before anyone could get hurt.

 

And now that she’s at home, she badly wants to throw herself on Yena, cuddling but she didn’t have enough courage to do that.

 

So she goes straight into her room, failed to notice Yena who was eyeing her the moment she opened the house’s door until she slams her room’s door close. 

 

Without changing her clothes, Chaewon throws herself onto her bed, welcomed by the warmth and comfort the bed gives. A sudden rush of emotions hits her hard.  Just right before her tears can fall freely, soft knocks can be heard from outside of her room. If it wasn’t Yena, she would just ignore it but it’s her favorite girl so she pushes herself up and rushes to the door, opening it slowly as it revealing the Choi Yena, standing straight in front of her door with a worried expression on her face.

 

“You aren’t okay, right?”

 

That one sentence only manages to break Chaewon’s long worn facade. She weakly shakes her head and those welling up tears fall down her face fast. Instinctively, Yena pulls her into her warm embrace, and she starts sobbing her heart out. No other words come from both of them. 

 

Only Chaewon’s sobs and Yena’s soft hush can be heard as they stay still in front of Chaewon’s bedroom.

 

Chaewon sniffs quietly with her hands still clutching on Yena’s plain white t-shirt that is probably ruined with her tears already. 

 

“I’ll make sure he pays for this.” 

 

Yena’s voice is deeper and lower than she has ever heard and it’s quite amusing for Chaewon to witness it. Still, she remains silent as series of curses comes out from Yena’s mouth with that unfamiliar deep voice again.

 

“I’m sorry, Chae. You get into this mess just because I can’t solv-” 

 

“Stop saying that, Unnie.”

 

Chaewon sighs as she leans her head on Yena’s shoulder. She snuggles closer when she feels Yena tightening her hold on Chaewon’s waist. 

 

“I chose to be involved. That guy is the one at fault for causing these problems.”

 

Chaewon compresses her own smile when Yena starts caressing her short hair. Much to her dismay, Yena soon breaks their hug, settles on holding her hands. “It’s time to sleep, Chae.” Yena’s husky and low voice calms her again. She just nods as Yena drags her inside her room, even to the point Yena tucks her in the comforter, like how her mom always did to her when she was a kid.

 

But when Yena stands up, Chaewon frowns; so hard that Yena notices it right away and askes her what’s wrong.

 

“Stay?”

 

Her voice comes out too soft that she’s afraid Yena can’t hear it. But it’s Yena she is talking to, of course, the older heard her clearly. Yena is flustered, it was obvious on her face and Chaewon can really hope on the last string of whatever she has to make Yena agrees to her. Yena’s small smile lights up Chaewon’s whole heart. 

 

“Sure.”

 

Chaewon eyes as Yena just sits down on the edge of the bed. She then tugs on Yena’s wrist, making Yena raises her eyebrows toward her. 

 

“Lay here, with me.”

 

Chaewon was expecting a quick refusal or shock on Yena’s face but again, Yena quietly lays down on her back before turning around, facing her. Yena then smiles widely, her eye smile is showing and Chaewon is resisting to just capture the lips right in front of her. Afraid that she can’t control herself, Chaewon snuggles into Yena’s embrace right after the older opens her arms wide. 

 

“Sleep tight, Unnie.”

 

“Good night, Chae.”

 

What Yena didn’t know is that Chaewon is still awake when she gives Chaewon a soft kiss on her forehead and whispers something that makes Chaewon stay awake the whole night.








 

--







 

Chaewon unlocks the door and she is greeted with Yena sitting comfortably on the couch, watching the TV. 

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“This is weird but Junsang is nowhere to be seen today. It’s quite weird considering that he was so noisy yesterday.”

 

She halts when she hears Yena chuckles so suddenly.

 

“Maybe he is sitting at the hospital, regretting what he has done?”

 

Chaewon’s eyes bulge open as she approaches the older and sits beside her.

 

“What happened to him, unnie?

“I told him to stay away from you.”

 

“Unni-”

 

“It’s alright. Everything’s gonna be fine from now on.”

 

Chaewon wants to ask further but she knows very well that the older won’t let her be worried so she just put herself under Yena’s embrace after thanking Yena that night.









 

--










 

“YOUR BLUETOOTH DEVICE IS CONNECTED SUCCESSFULLY!”

 

Although this happened numerous times already, Chaewon still can’t get used to its sudden voice. She jumps out of her chair again, holding her hand on her chest as she breathes heavily. “This unnie...” She murmurs and stares at the speaker, waiting for the song to be played. 

 

“Chae…”

 

‘Wait, this isn’t a song...’

 

“This might sound crazy but I like you. No, scratch that, I’m in love with you.”

 

‘Now, that’s some kind of surprise.’

 

“You probably won’t believe this but I have fallen head over heels on you.” 

“Wait, don’t come to my room yet. Just, don’t.”

 

Chaewon was about to stand up but cancels her plan and continues listening.

 

“I know it isn’t romantic at all for me to confess using a… speaker. But you know how I am, right?”

 

A soft chuckle can be heard over the speaker and Chaewon swears her heart swells out of happiness.

 

“I don’t know if you probably feel the same honestly so if you aren’t please stay in your room and acts like nothing happens today, okay?”

 

Chaewon can clearly hear how Yena takes a deep breath before she continues her words.

 

“If ever you feel the same, please, run and kick my door open please or I might die because of this nerve-wracking atmosphere.”

 

And Chaewon did just what Yena asked her for. She almost stumbles when she steps out of her room but once she reaches Yena’s room, a sudden wave of nerve hits her hard. But the scene of Yena waiting for her on the other side of the door fills her heart so he turns the doorknob and there she is, the only girl she has ever loved and will always be.

 

Chaewon smiles brightly, mirroring Yena’s wide smile when they see each other’s faces. Chaewon runs inside and immediately throws herself on top of Yena who is currently sitting on the bed, causing both of them to fall safely on the soft bed. As Chaewon snuggles deeper, they giggle their heart out, overjoys about the fact that they both feels the same. Not before a sob comes out of Yena’s mouth, forcing Chaewon to breaks the hug and sees Yena’s face is filled with tears already.

 

“I thought you weren’t coming.”

 

Chaewon smiles fondly as she wipes Yena’s tears with her thumbs.

 

“Why wouldn’t I come to you, Unnie? You are my home, after all.”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe because I don’t expect you to feel the same? Or maybe because I thought you aren’t into girls? Or maybe that you were asleep the whole time I pla-” 

 

Chaewon cut Yena’s rambling off with a sudden kiss, tilting her head to avoid bumping Yena’s runny nose with hers as she tiptoes to press her lips to Yena’s.

 

Chaewon notices how Yena’s eyebrows raised at the sudden action, kissing Chaewon back automatically with a purse of her own lips before both of them pulled away, Chaewon wearing a fond smile as Yena quirked a brow in confusion.

 

“Unnie, can you stop and just kiss me?”

 

Without hesitating, Yena grabs Chaewon’s neck and hastily crashes her pouty and plump lips onto Chaewon’s small lips. Kissing her as fervently and passionately as Chaewon were. Conveying every feeling at this moment with the press of Chaewon’s lips to Yena’s. Yena’s hands pulled Chaewon closer by the waist as she rose, pushing her closer to the ground with Yena under her.

 

Rather than the common description of fireworks and such feelings, Chaewon feels safe inside Yena’s hold, with their lips crashed into each others’. Yena’s lips make her feels at ease, feels like she is home and as long as she is in Yena’s embrace, no one could ever hurt her. She swings her arms over Yena’s neck, wrapping it tight as if she won’t let Yena go anytime soon.

 

But they need to breathe so Yena is the one who breaks the kiss first, earning a hiss from Chaewon, frowning at the loss of contact of the warmth of Yena’s lips. A chuckle can be heard right after from the person in front of her.

 

“Chill, Chae. This is yours forever. You have all the time you want to ki-”

 

Chaewon is being impatient again so she cuts Yena’s ramble and crashes her lips with Yena’s again. She sighs, contented with the warmth Yena gives her as she slowly rubs her palms onto Yena’s neck, showing that she is more than satisfied.

 

She feels the small smile Yena did in their kiss so she retract away to give Yena kisses on every part of her face, too happy to contain it back.

 

“I love you.” 

 

Both of them whisper at the same time, slipping soft giggles out of their lips. Their heads are connected to each other, Chaewon leaning on Yena as if she will fall if she ever let go. Both eyes are staring deeply as if trying to conveys their feelings through them.

 

The both of them then settle down on Yena’s bed, cuddling comfortably with a comforter wrapping perfectly around them. Not even a day has passed but Chaewon is thinking whether she should move her things here or just let it be her study room because she is sure she can’t sleep without Yena’s warm embrace anymore after this night.

 

“I’m glad you accidentally connected your phone to my speaker, Unnie.”

 

“Me too, Chae. Me too...”

 

Chaewon was about to whisper her good night wish to the older one before she hears a soft snore from Yena. A fond smile stays on her face until she drifts into her dreamland too, not long after that.