When Kim Minjoo Loses Everything

Follow Your Dreams

7 Years Ago 

"Minjoo! Hyunjin! I brought your favorite fried chicken!" 

Rushing down the stairs, 13 year old Kim Minjoo and 14 year old Kim Hyunjin playfully shove each other in a race while laughing to beat the other in some sort of childish competition. 

Of course, Hyunjin beats the younger girl and takes the first piece of crispy, delicious fried chicken while boasting to her sister with a mocking smirk. "Ha! I beat you again!" She laughs in a playful manner while feasting on the chicken.

Minjoo pouts and calls her mother for dinner, failing to see the tired look in her face as she heads down to the dining area. You're too busy feasting on the chicken with your older sister and your grandmother, who once again talks about hilarious stories when your father was a child, to notice the quite obvious tension forming between your parents. 

Perhaps that was the issue with Minjoo. She was always too oblivious to the "bad" surrounding her, always following her father's advice of staying positive and optimistic even when things go rough. Minjoo doesn't think she'll ever hit rock bottom, but she knows if she does, then she will stay true to her father's lessons and continue to look at the bright side. 

"How was work today?" Her mother asks your father.

"Well...that's what I wanted to talk about today with you all." Her father sighs with a tight-lipped smile as he sits down.

Hyunjin gives her younger sister a worried look as she sets down the piece of chicken in her hands back to her plate. As optimistic as Minjoo might be, she finally picks up on the concerning atmosphere that has formed in the kitchen table and looks up at her father with an expecting look. She senses a weird feeling piling up in her stomach, one she wasn't used to and definitely one she did not like. 

Her father takes another deep breath as he looks down at the table, before finally revealing to the family that, "I quit my job." 

Silence.

Minjoo is clearly taken aback by the sudden revelation, definitely not expecting her father to make such a bold and unforeseen decision. She looks at her sister who shares a similar expression, with the both of them waiting for their mother to respond to the sudden change, something that is definitely going to change their lives.

So many questions pop up in Minjoo's head, but before she could ask them, her mother beats her to it and finally snaps at her father "You idiot are you crazy?!" She stands up and almost knocks down the wooden chair.

The sisters' father stays frozen in his previous position, looking down at his fidgeting hands while their mother explodes with seething anger. It almost seems as if their father knew this reaction was coming, and Hyunjin quickly grabs a hold of Minjoo's hands for support, knowing how the next few minutes (or hours it may seem) will play out with the two parents.

Unlike Minjoo, Hyunjin was aware of the increasing tension between the two parents. She always heard the fights that occurred at late nights when her younger sister was still asleep. She heard every single conversation and sometimes could not sleep while listening to the two, constantly scared of a possible divorce that could ruin their family.

However, as time went on, Hyunjin only had one goal in her mind, which was to always protect Minjoo no matter what.

The older of the two did not want to see her younger sister lose the bright eyes she always held, the skipping in her feet when she came back from school, even from stressful days, the smile that would reach her eyes when she talked about her day with her grandmother, and most importantly the optimistic personality she held no matter how rainy the days were. 

A divorce was highly possible in Hyunjin's eyes. She was a logical person and could not hide in disillusioned reality like her sister, but she does not have the heart to break Minjoo with the cruelties of life. 

"I quit my job...I want to start a business." Her father says with upmost confidence, yet he still refuses to look up at their raged mother. 

"Are you kidding me? You're quitting your job for such a stupid idea? I can't believe I have a husband who acts like such a child." Her mother starts to increasingly raise her voice, the frustration becoming more evident.

Grandmother cannot stand watching the two fight about job matters again, so she takes the hands of the two sisters into their shared room. Grandmother wants them to stay away from the mess, cherish the happiness of childhood, even if it's just for a little while. 

However, Grandmother knows she cannot keep stalling the children. She knows that the two are growing older and will realize the slow crumble of their family, especially Hyunjin. 

She has kept a close eye on Hyunjin and Minjoo since they were born, and Grandmother knows that Hyunjin was very similar to her mother. One who values facts over fiction and keeps up with the realities of life. 

She can't keep this up forever. 

"Halmoni...mom and dad will be okay, won't they?" Minjoo asks as Grandmother closes the bedroom door and faces the two sisters with an obvious forced smile. 

"They'll be fine Minmin. Now, both of you go to bed, it'll all be okay tomorrow, alright?"

It wasn't. 

Minjoo wakes up before her older sister. To be honest, it was one of the first times that she had trouble drifting off to sleep and being able to get a good night's sleep as usual. Today was supposed to be an exciting middle school field trip to the zoo, but the argument that erupted the night before drained most of her energy and excitement for the trip. However, she stays determined in looking at the bright side and tries her best to keep a smile on her face.

The smile is quickly deprived, though.

The sight of her mother quickly packing with her father watching from behind with a defeated expression absolutely breaks her.

Grandmother said it will all be alright by today though right? It was just a small fight that is common between parents and is very healthy in a marriage. So then why...why did the scene playing before her cause that sickening feeling in her stomach again. Why is this feeling becoming more common? She wanted it to go away, and she just wanted everything to be okay again. 

"Mom...dad...? What's going on?" Minjoo turns around to see her older sister, fresh out of bed, watching the sight with the same shocked expression as her younger sister. They needed answers.

"I'm leaving." The sisters' mother says with a dry and monotone expression. She doesn't even look up at the two and continues packing the remaining clothing in her suitcase with a sense of urgency. 

Minjoo sees Hyunjin fiddle with her hands, a habit she picked up from her father when she was nervous or anxious about something. The younger girl steps back next to her older sister and holds her hands, attempting to comfort her. 

The comfort doesn't come. There is no facing away from reality this time. 

This is when Hyunjin finally realizes she cannot protect her younger sister anymore. There is no more hiding from the evident divorce that the two parents will be going through. It would be foolish of Hyunjin to deny this further and drag her sister down, along with her denial. 

The happy family that was all in the past was gone. The memories from the family vacations were gone. The joyous family dinners that would always result in great laughter would be forever gone. This was it, and there was no more denying that this is the state of reality they're in. 

"Mom...please..." Minjoo tries to speak. She wants to say so much, wants to blurt out why she should stay with the family, why they can be a happy family again and put all of this behind them in the future. Yet, the words don't come out. No matter how hard she tries, she can only mutter a sense of begging, hoping to reach her mother through her emotions and desperation, 

"I'm sorry Minjoo. I can't take this anymore. I can't be married knowing this family will financially struggle in the future. I can't." She tells the younger. 

So is that what it's all about? Money?

Isn't family about more than just financial status? Shouldn't a family be able to go through hardships together and work their way up together? Her father has always told her the core values of family, yet isn't it ironic how money seems to be the only thing her mother has been chasing.

It sickens her. It disappoints her. She can feel herself crumbling, and it's all happening so fast. Way too fast for her to process everything at once. 

"Minjoo, Hyunjin. Your father and I are getting a divorce. It has been decided. You can choose to either stay with me or him, but let me remind you he has no hope for a future. There is nothing left here." 

Minjoo can't believe what she's hearing. Her mother has lost all hope in her father. Is it all true? It can't be. Minjoo knows her father has always been headstrong and follows his dreams. He can't be wrong. 

But why is choosing so hard?

She never asked for a difficult decision such as this. She can't. Their family should be happy, they should be happily dropping off Minjoo on her field trip today, yet school is the last thing on her mind.

"I'll go with you mom." Hyunjin quickly says.

Minjoo looks at her older sister in shock. Hyunjin seems to be putting up a facade, one that is easily cracking and the younger can tell this is evident. Why did she look  like that...? So cold. So off. She let go of her hand and walked towards their mother, "Come with us Minmin. Mom is right, it's the best choice." 

The younger teen has never felt like this before. She's never been so confused, so lost, and so so scared. She was scared of everything. She knew everything was about to change, and she can't find a reason to be happy anymore. Where was the bright side? 

She looks at her mother who is standing beside her older sister with a blank expression, but a forced smile nonetheless. She loves her older sister so much, and she can't possibly abandon her. Minjoo's life just wouldn't be the same. This can't be happening, there will be a solution soon right? She hopes to god there is.

She then turns to her father. Her father, who has been the one to tell her bedtime stories every night until she became a middle school student and told him she was a big girl who didn't need her father anymore to sleep well. Her father, the one who has always told her to follow her dreams, follow her gut, and never stop striving for what you believe in. 

Her father has taught her the core values of life. Of everything. Of how she can live in happiness, and chase her dreams, not wealth. 

Minjoo makes her choice.

"I'm sorry Hyunjin unnie." She tells her older sister as she steps to her father's side. 

She feels that sickness in her stomach continue to grow. She's in so much pain, yet she believes this is the right decision. She can't possibly leave her father alone without a family, she can't leave Grandmother to run her hot dog stand alone. 

Her father has taught her about making sacrifices before, but Minjoo didn't know it would cause this much overwhelming pain. 

Hyunjin nods her head in understanding before stepping forward and giving her sister a hug. Minjoo breaks down and sobs in her sister's shoulder. They both knew they would be seeing each other less, and they both knew there was no more denying what was happening. 

"We'll see each other all the time Minmin, I promise you that."

Minjoo smiles into her sister's shoulder. Hyunjin never broke her promises. Maybe Minjoo might have been naïve enough to believe her, but this was her sister. The same Hyunjin who played with her when none of the other kids at school wanted to, the same Hyunjin who always told her things would get better. 

She hopes, she hopes, and she hopes. 

She hopes that her mother will change her mind one day and they will become a family again. She wants to see the old smile again when they were treasuring memories together.

She hopes that her father can change her mother's mind with his success. She believes in him, and she knows that a man like her father will always succeed with the amount of determination and courage he has.

She hopes that things can go back to normal one day, and maybe even better.

However, Minjoo was foolish to believe this.

Once their parents divorce, Minjoo is left with the sudden emptiness and quite atmosphere of the house. It was depressing now, nothing compared to the vibrant energy that used to lift up her mood. Grandmother and her father still tries though. They try to keep the smiles on their faces and tell Minjoo everything will be okay eventually

Hyunjin does keep her promise, well at least for a while. 

The first time they visit each other again is on a beautiful sunny day, one which Minjoo thrives in and looks toward a future full of hope. She can't give up yet, she can never give up the family.

They talk endlessly. It was like nothing has changed, yet they both knew everything did change. They no longer went home together, no longer played as much as they used to, and they no longer had each other in the same room when sleep was difficult to find during late nights. 

But for Minjoo, this was enough.

Talking to her sister about how Grandmother chased away some bratty children near the hot dog stand, about how her father brings home their favorite fried chicken on special occasions, and always talks with bright eyes about how successful her father will be in the future and will bring back their family together. 

Hyunjin begs to differ at the last part, but she always knew Minjoo was optimistic and hopeful, even when things were going as bad as they were now. Maybe she could use a bit of Minjoo's optimism though, maybe she's right about their family coming back together one day. Maybe there was hope after all and things will change.

She was right.

Things did change, but not for the better.

The two sisters still meet up with each other at the same park bench with ice cream, but they can't deny how things have changed between them. 

Hyunjin still meets with her at the bench, but she stops buying the ice cream.

Minjoo was still as chatty as ever, talking about her life with passion and the same speech about how she has hope for the family coming back together one day. Hyunjin, however, has become more quiet. Her style has also changed. She no longer wears the same hoodie that Minjoo gifted her for her 12th birthday. Instead, she wears more of the preppy outfits, with expensive jewelry and a continuously straight posture. 

Hyunjin has also mentally changed. The little hope she had left in their family continuing to be together was gone. There was not a single ounce of hope left within her ever since her new step-father married her mother. It all happened too fast for Hyunjin, so she decided to just go along with it. 

"I'm going to the US with mom, Minjoo." Hyunjin interrupts her sister's rambles, successfully stopping her.

Hyunjin can't deny the pain and utter guilt she feels when looking at her younger sister's expression. Hyunjin has always wanted to protect her, to shield her from the bad things in the world like a good older sister would. But she can't do that anymore, and she has to live with it. There's no other options left. 

"You...you're what?" Minjoo asks in disbelief, still not processing her sister's words.

"My new step dad. He's expanding his company internationally and creating a branch in the US. We're starting a new life there, and we probably won't be back in years to come." Hyunjin attempts to tell her sister with a proper tone of voice.

Minjoo can't believe it. The hope she had, the hope she lingered on, it seemed to be slowly disappearing as the days go by. Her sister, her older sister that has always been by her side will be leaving her. She felt sad, confused, and frustrated.

Didn't Hyunjin believe in her father? Why did she have to leave? Can't she convince their mother to go back with them? Why, why was all of this happening to her? 

"Don't you believe in dad, unnie? Please, he can be just as successful as your step-dad. We can...we can work things out, there's still hope left, please if you just convince mom and we can go back to the way things were. We can-" 

"STOP! What aren't you getting Minjoo?! Things are over between mom and dad. You know...mom was always right. She knew dad would fail in his business, she knew him as the loser he is. With my new step-dad, he gives me everything I've ever needed. He gives mom what she needs. He's everything dad never was."

That ticks off something in Minjoo. She was hurt and angry over the person her sister has become. This wasn't the Hyunjin that cared for her, played with her, this was a cold and materialistic Hyunjin.

"So you're just going to go...like that?" 

"I have to Minjoo. Maybe one day you can see the regret of your decision. I really did hope you could have joined us." Hyunjin says before getting up from the bench and walking away from Minjoo, her sister.

Hyunjin doesn't look back. She worries she might break if she does, she worries she might make the wrong decision if she looks at the pained expression of her younger sister. She has to do what's best for her, and if it means sacrificing Minjoo, then so be it. This was the ticket to a better life, just like what her mother had said. She needed to sacrifice her life.

She needed this. Her mother needed this. 

It was the best choice. Hyunjin needed to make sure of this, she needed to make sure she would never regret her decision in the future. 

So that was it. The final image that Minjoo saw was the back of her sister slowly walking away. Away from her life, forever.

The hope that the younger girl had left was hanging on a very, very thin string. 

She walks home alone that day. She doesn't have her sister walking with her this time, and she feels drained. She wants to cry, she wants to sob, but she felt as if all tears had left her. 

While walking on the way home, she notices the cherry blossom trees that would usually excite her during this time of year. But what was there to enjoy if her sister wasn't there to play with her? What was there to be excited about if everything was falling apart? It seemed as if the cherry blossoms mocked her. Looking beautifully healthy and gorgeous, living a life that Minjoo so desperately wanted back.

She walks alone, but she feels a presence behind her. 

She continues to walk back to her home, but this person behind her wouldn't stop following her. What was their problem, seriously? She was absolutely not in the mood for this, so she turns around to tell the person to leave her alone.

"Would you please stop following me around?! I'm not in the mood," She tells the figure, who she quickly saw was wearing slightly old and torn uniform, with long brunette hair and a somewhat taller height. If she wasn't filled with sadness and frustration, she would have found the assumingly older girl to be quite pretty.

"What-? I wasn't-" Before the other girl could finish, Minjoo angrily turns away and starts walking home with an increasing sense of urgency. 

All she wants is to collapse on her bed and cry it all out with her father and Grandmother. She just wants to rest for once, it's all becoming too much for her to handle.

As she arrives back to her home, she sets her shoes aside and calls for her father. He would usually be home around this time and be there to sit around and talk to his daughter about the conversations she held with her older sister. However, she would be arriving with disappointing news this time. 

"Dad, I'm home!" She calls out, but weirdly enough, her father wasn't there waiting for her like he always did.

She looks around in confusion until she finds Grandmother sitting on the couch with a sorrowful expression and red, teary eyes. 

Wait, why was she here? She would usually be out at the hot dog stand during this time. This didn't make any sense, why was she here and why did she look like she was previously sobbing? 

Minjoo's heart beat starts to quicken, and it feels as if her heart is running a marathon She was utterly confused and anxious...just where was her father.

"Halmoni...where's dad?" Minjoo asks Grandmother.

Grandmother doesn't answer for a while, and when Minjoo takes a seat on the couch next to the older woman, she takes her hands with a sniffle and puts on the same forced and tight lipped smile directed towards Minjoo.

Minjoo is honestly quite tired of the forced smiles everyone would be giving her. Why can't she know what was going on?!

"Minjoo, dear. There was an accident." 

Minjoo feels her world collapse. 

Her father is dead.

Grandmother explains to her what had happened. Apparently he was on the bus, picking up some of Minjoo's favorite fried chicken after his business meeting with some investors. The bus he was in got into a horrific crash, and her dad was one of the unlucky victims of the accident.

Minjoo couldn't cry. The sickening feeling in her stomach felt even worse this time. She just could not seem to catch a break any time soon.

Her father would not be coming back.

Minjoo loses everything. And for the first time, ever, she feels absolutely lonely and hopeless.