Stains

Stains

Jungkook rarely told you no.

The only time he had told you no was when you asked for a pet tiger, and even then he got you a stuffed one since he couldn’t give you a real one. This didn’t mean he didn’t know how to stand up for himself, but rather, he loved seeing the way your eyes sparkled in excitement when you were happy. This is why he caved in so much. You knew if he truly didn’t want to do something, he would let you know; albeit, gently. He considered himself an introvert, but he was willing to escape your shared cozy home to make you smile.

Usually, on Valentine’s Day, you dragged him outside of your house—whether it be to the movies, a restaurant, or a bowling alley. You had always wanted to escape the white walls of your home on this love-invested day. This year, however, was different. This year, you didn’t want to go out. 

You were just walking out of the bathroom when Jungkook had appeared in your view. You were surprised to see he had changed into a pair of light-washed ripped jeans, a black shirt, and a long plaid shirt. In his right hand was the leather jacket you bought for him (just ‘cause he was an amazing boyfriend). His eyes scanned your underdressed form, taking in your plain shorts and tee. He lingered on the way your s poked through the thin material before raising his eyes to your face. He had been with you long enough to become accustomed to you walking around the house without a bra or even pants for that matter. At first, he was flustered at the sight; he would instantly turn the other way if he ever walked in on you changing or if he spotted more skin than usual. Throughout your relationship, he slowly got used to the sight. He no longer felt his face heat up from awkward mortification. Instead, he found it oddly endearing. It was heartwarming to see you look so normal—so domestic and open with him. It made him feel as if he had known you his whole life. As if you walking into his life and burying your way inside his beating heart was fate. He was sure if you were to ever leave him, you would be taking a part of him with you. It was like red wine staining a white shirt over a long period of time. The longer the stain soaked the shirt, the harder it was to remove.

“Why aren’t you dressed?” He questioned and moved to grab his phone off the mattress. You brought your hands together, bowing your head as you sheepishly played with your fingers while you thought of how to express your change of plans.

“Is everything okay?” He persisted when you didn’t reply right away. In five steps he was in front of you. His hands ever so slightly touched your upper arms; the jacket now hung over his forearm. He tilted his head down to get a better look at your face, eyebrows furrowing as he tried to read your worrisome expression. You nodded your head and shifted your eyes to his. 

“I- I was just thinking,” you stuttered. You weren’t exactly sure why you were so nervous. Perhaps it was because you always went out on this day and he was already ready to leave. He had expected to venture out tonight. “Maybe we can stay indoors this year?”

His lips parted as a small “oh” left his lips. “Is that what you’re worried about? That I wouldn’t want to?” A soft chuckle left his mouth before he tossed his jacket haphazardly on a nearby chair. You watched him with round eyes as he began to remove his plaid shirt, leaving him in only his jeans and tee. Even the simplest of outfits looked well on him, and you envied him for that.

You took a deep breath and began, “I-”

“I don’t know why you were so anxious about that,” he murmured, cutting you off. “You know I never oppose staying inside—as long as you’re with me.”

You huffed quietly at his cheesy line but nevertheless felt your shoulders relax at his comforting words.

“What did you have planned?” He asked and sank down on the mattress, grabbing your waist and pulling you between his spread legs. You rested your hands on his shoulders for balance and tugged playfully on his growing locks.

“What makes you think I had something planned?” You teased, peering down at him as a blush crept onto your cheeks. He smiled at your quickly reddening face and pulled your body closer.

“You always have something planned, so what is it?”

You chewed on your bottom lip as your gaze lingered on his. Before he could start guessing, you tore from his embrace and jogged to your closest. Straining on the tips of your toes, you pulled down a box, placed it behind your back, then walked back to your patient boyfriend. He quirked an eyebrow at your secretive action and leaned to the side to try to peek at what you were hiding. To counter, you shifted your body and shook your head.

“I’ll show you, but stop being nosey,” you laughed and moved your body to the other side when Jungkook attempted to peek once again.

“You’re taking too long,” he grumbled, lips pursing slightly as he whined.

So much for having a patient boyfriend.

Shaking your head for the second time, you brought the box in front of you and popped off its lid. Inside was an assortment of painting supplies. There weren’t many color options for the paint since you didn’t have the chance to buy more, but there was enough variety. Jungkook looked up at you again, a small smile on his lips. 

“You want to paint for Valentine’s? I thought we didn’t have any canvases, though,” he recalled with a frown and glanced at the now-closed closest as if he had x-ray vision and were checking. As you moved to set the box on your nightstand next to the flowers he had bought you earlier, Jungkook stood and stalked toward his discarded leather jacket.

“Where are you going?” You meekly asked, trying to hide the frown forming on your lips. Did he change his mind about staying indoors?

Jungkook paused as he was sliding an arm in the jacket.

“I’m going to go get us some canvases.”

You quickly shuffled across the room and reached out to stop his arm from entering his other sleeve. “Wait-”

He glanced down at you, perplexed. You gently began to remove the jacket from his body, smiling as he helped you.

“We don’t need a canvas for what I had in mind,” you explained shyly and neatly placed the jacket back on the chair. Jungkook’s face was still contorted in confusion, head ticked to the side as he tried to ponder what you were on about. Your smile grew at his reaction and you softly tapped his back to indicate your desired canvas.  

“I’ve seen other people do it, and I wanted to know if you’ll let me try it,” you continued. You knew you were being cryptic but you felt too nervous to say it out loud. His eyes widened at the tap on his back.

“You want to paint on my back?” He asked, eyes scanning your face to see if he had guessed right. From the way your cheeks reddened, he knew he was correct.

“You don’t have to say yes—we can go get canvases or even skip painting altogeth-”

Your sentence was cut off when Jungkook grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled it over his head. His hair became disheveled at the action, but with one quick jerk of his head, his locks fell back in their original position. Your mouth parted as you watched his muscles flex, the loss of his shirt revealing the soft curves and dips of his torso. You were sure your eyes would never get tired of looking at his exposed skin. 

“We’ll probably need a towel in case you spill,” he teased and left the room to retrieve the item, a small smirk smeared on his lips at your shocked expression. You stood, blinking in surprise at the unexpected action. You hadn’t moved from your spot by the time he returned. In one hand, he held a glass of water, and in the other, two towels. When he noticed your rigid stance, he chuckled.

“Was I not supposed to take off my shirt?” He asked, lips quirked upwards with amusement. “I didn’t think you meant to paint on my shirt.”

“I was just expecting you to say yes before the shirt came off,” you replied, snapping out of your daze and helping him place down the towels on the bed. As you gathered the water-based paint kit and palette for mixing, Jungkook began to play music through the speaker in the room. The song was soft and melodic, and it instantly made you feel calm. He gave you a toothy grin when you glanced at him.

“Lay down, Koo,” you instructed softly and grabbed a few brushes from the box. Jungkook set his phone down, laid on his stomach, and rested his head on his folded arms. He eyed you carefully as you cautiously kneeled on the bed, worried you might accidentally spill the water in your hand.

“I can hold that,” Jungkook muttered and gestured to the water when he noticed you struggling. You thanked him quietly and handed him the cup. You continued your descent, gently placing your legs on either side of his back. You placed the paint kit on his back, between your legs, and grabbed a paintbrush. You quickly grabbed your phone and pulled up the image you had in mind for the piece, placing your phone next to you on the bed. Once you were done, you reached over to the cup Jungkook held, dipped your brush in the water, then swirled the brush in the orange.

When you glided the first against his taunt back, he shivered slightly. You giggled at his reaction and ran a soft hand against one of his sides in hopes to ease the coldness of the paint.

“Sorry,” you murmured.

“‘S okay,” he hummed, eyes fluttering closed as he allowed himself to relax under your soothing touch. You repeated the action of wetting your brush and dipping it into the paint. Every time he shuddered under your touch, you rubbed his sides to warm him again.

Five minutes into the painting is when he began to softly hum to the music playing. Although it made his body vibrate, it wasn’t that disruptive. Plus, you always loved when he sang. Although he wasn’t technically signing now, he usually started off humming. He had insisted he wasn’t as good at singing as you claimed he was and therefore wouldn’t sing to you often. At least, not for a long time.

Your lips stretched into a grin as you continued your painting, a combination of orange and yellow taking form on his back. His humming tuned into low singing as expected, which had your heart swelling in your chest. His voice made you feel like you were sinking into a void that consisted of only his light voice. It sounded breathier than normal as he laid under you, but it only made you love the sound more. It was difficult to put into words how much his voice affected you. It was weird. You never found someone singing this mesmerizing. Though, Jungkook was different. The amount of admiration you had for him made you dizzy.  

Every once in a while you would steal a glance at his soft features. You always found it fascinating how his face appeared soft yet sharp at the same time. Your fingers twitched with the urge to brush the hair from his face; however, you didn’t want to disturb his peaceful form. 

You weren’t sure how much time had passed from when you started, but you could feel Jungkook’s breathing become steadier. His singing slowly faded off, lips staying parted as if he was mid-note. You watched his grip on the cup loosened as he inched closer into his slumber. You gently took the water from him before it spilled and held it as you finished your remaining . Once you were finished, you leaned over him, careful not to smear the paint on his back, and set down the water cup. You cautiously climbed off him and took the dirtied palette and brushes to the bathroom sink. You cleaned them quickly while trying to make as little noise as possible. 

Your steps slowed when you entered your bedroom again. Soft snores were now escaping his lips and it made your heart soar. Unlike some people, you didn’t mind his snores—even when they became loud at random times in the night. There was something so serene about watching him sleep. Perhaps it was a little creepy, but you couldn’t help it. The way his cheek was pressed against his tatted forearm had his lips puckering, making them appear slightly plumper. You wanted to press your mouth against his but decided against it. You didn’t want to wake him. 

Unfortunately, his eyes peeled open gradually anyway. When he saw you standing next to the bed, he raised to his forearms. 

“Are you done?” He asked, voice a little deeper than before. He rubbed at his eyes as his mouth widened in a yawn. You nodded, a ghost of a smile on your lips, and placed your now cleaned brushes and palette back in the box. 

“Did you take a picture?” He slowly moved to a sitting position, craning his neck to see his back. You giggled at his poor attempt and grabbed your phone. You motioned for him to turn around and when he did, you captured your work on your phone. You handed him the device and waited anxiously for him to voice his thoughts. Although you knew Jungkook wasn’t going to give harsh feedback, you still yearned for his approval. 

“Woah,” he exclaimed as he zoomed in on the photo, bringing the phone closer to his face. Painted on his back was a simple tiger lily. It wasn’t as professional as some of the other works you’d seen done, but you were still practicing. “Jagi, this is amazing.”

“You think so?” You beamed, fingers fidgeting again out of nervousness. He locked your phone and set it on the bed. He reached out, fingers slipping under your top to grab the skin of your waist, and pulled you toward him. He slid both his hands behind the back of your thighs and lifted you off the floor before setting you on his lap. A gasp left your throat at the unexpected action, hands gripping his honey skin for support. You made sure to keep your hands from his back so you didn’t get paint on yourself. Even though it was probably dry already, you didn’t want to risk it. 

“Definitely,” he assured with his trademark bunny smile. “You did a wonderful job. I’m sorry I fell asleep on you.”

You hummed and pushed away the stray hair strands framing his face. “I’m glad you felt comfortable enough to.”

“I always feel comfortable around you, Yn,” he replied and leaned up, pressing his lips on yours. You smiled against his mouth and returned the kiss, allowing him to capture your bottom lip between his before he started moving them. You followed his lead, fingers finding their way to tangle in his long locks as you kissed him devotedly. It was slower than normal, but you didn’t mind. Your head was swirling with thoughts of Jungkook and every small detail you had noticed about him while knowing him. From the way his nose scrunched up while he laughed to how he would space out during group conversations. You thought you had fallen for this man for the maximum amount of times, but as you sat here—legs straddling his lap and lips moving against his leisurely—you realized that that wasn’t true. 

You were never going to stop falling deeper in love with Jeon Jungkook. 

And you never wanted to.