A Tangled Destiny

When You Love Someone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The bustling sound of children filled the classroom at an early morning. Every corner was occupied by youngsters who were either playing, drawing, eating, or just randomly staring into space. Each one of them accompanied by a playmate or two, except for a little girl who was sitting alone on the table near the bookshelves.
 

The said girl was wearing a bright yellow sweater, had her hair tied in pigtails, and was holding a pink bunny stuff toy. She had her eyes trained on her toy, not daring to look at her classmates as no one tried to approach her. A few classmates looked on her side but haven't got the chance to approach her as they didn't know how and they were all busy being immersed in their own little world to even notice her.
 

The little girl also wanted to play with the other kids around her. But the thing is, she's a transferee, who came all the way from Japan and is now staying in Korea and is currently in a Korean kindergarten.
 

That being said, the little girl knew nothing about the country or even the language spoken as they only moved here three weeks ago. Her parents told her to have fun, that it will be okay as long as she had her toy bunny with her—whom she had ever since she was a baby.

That was true and all, she was okay, but she only had Mr. Cuddles by her side the whole day.
 

She heaves out a sigh. Finally deciding that no one will talk to her, she put her head down and waited for the rest of the class to finish.
 

From the corner of the room, a curious pair of eyes was watching the Japanese girl. This girl was was wearing a pink floral dress who had her hair tied in a ponytail. She looked at her, tilted her head, and asked her playmate why no one was coming near her. Her playmate could only shrug, not caring about anything else than the barbie doll that she was playing.
 

Curiosity getting the best of the little girl, she stood up and went towards the sleeping girl's table. She sat down in front of the Japanese girl who still had her head down.
 

Slowly, the girl with the pink dress tapped the girl in front of her. The Japanese, not knowing someone actually approached her, looked up. She was surprised seeing someone really sitting in front of her.
 

"Hello. I'm Chaewon. The little girl with the pink dress said, smiling. "What are you doing here all alone?" She asked the girl who was busy staring at her.
 

"Oh." Chaewon added, seeing the bunny stuff toy. "What you got there?"
 

A few seconds have passed and Chaewon still didn't get an answer to her question. From behind, someone tapped Chaewon's back, whispering these words to her in a low voice. "Don't bother. I heard she's a transferee who's Japanese who doesn't even understand Korean."
 

Chaewon looked up. It was one of the kids whom she played with earlier. "Let's just go and play together. Just leave her." Said the boy.
 

The little girl with the bright yellow sweater watched as Chaewon stood up, following the little boy who just talked to her.
 

This made her sad, knowing that she lost the only one who actually talked to her on her first day. She went back to playing with Mr. Cuddles, trying hard not to cry.
 

A few tears slipped from the little girl's eyes. She managed to wipe it with the sleeves of her yellow sweater. She wanted to get away from this place as soon as possible.
 

To her surprise, Chaewon came back. She was wearing a huge smile on her face while holding what seemed like to be their teacher's phone.
 

"I'm back. Sorry I took long." Chaewon said, beaming at the girl. "Oh right, you didn't understand what I just said. But that's okay." As she said that, she typed something on the phone and brought it close to the girl in front of her.
 

A robotic voice started to speak. "Hello. My name is Chaewon." It said, in Japanese.
 

The little girl had her eyes widened. This Chaewon girl really brought a translator just for them to be able to understand each other. "Chaewon?" She repeated.
 

Chaewon nodded her head vigorously. "Yes. That's right. I'm Chaewon." She says, her voice full of excitement.
 

Chaewon stopped to think for a moment before typing fervently. "How about you? What's your name?" The robotic voice said again.
 

"Hitomi." The little girl said, pointing at herself.
 

Chaewon smiled, jumping in excitement. "Hitomi. That's a really cute name." She giggled.
 

Once again, Chaewon used the phone to translate. "How about your friend, the bunny? What's his name?"
 

Hitomi raised her stuff bunny as she showed it to Chaewon. "Mr. Cuddles." She happily said.
 

Chaewon smiled, using the phone once again to communicate with Hitomi."Nice to meet you, Hitomi and Mr. Cuddles. Would you both like to be my friend?"
 

Chaewon was looking at Hitomi expectantly, holding out the phone for Hitomi to hear clearly.
 

Hitomi took the phone from Chaewon. This time, she was the one typing.
 

"Yes, Mr. Cuddles and I would like to be your friend." The robotic voice said. This time, it was in Korean.
 

Chaewon clapped lively as she heard this. She couldn't stop her excitement from making a new friend. She went over to Hitomi's side and hugged her. Hitomi was surprised. She didn't hugged back because of this, still holding Mr. Cuddles.
 

"I can't wait to tell my mom all about my new friend." Chaewon said, still having the little Hitomi in her arms.

--

From that day on, Chaewon and Hitomi became the best of friends. Chaewon would always stay by Hitomi's side every where they go. Still, other kids wouldn't play with Hitomi as they said, they wouldn't even understand her even if they did.
 

Chaewon, on the other hand, did her best to communicate with Hitomi through her gesture. She also learned a few Japanese here and there to be able to talk to Hitomi.
 

Hitomi also did her best to understand Korean. She would, at home, try and learn Korean for her and Chaewon to communicate better.
 

Because of that and Chaewon being Hitomi's Korean tutor, Hitomi was able to communicate well in Korean in a span of nine months. There were still some errors as Korean is not an easy language to begin with but, Hitomi can now talk to Chaewon and the other kids in Korean.
 

"Woah. Hitomi, you got all the phrases correct." Chaewon tells her, checking the activity that Hitomi did.
 

Hitomi chuckled. "That's because I got a good teacher." She said, beaming at Chaewon.
 

It was now Chaewon's turn to chuckle. "Well, I guess you can say that I'm the best." They both ended up laughing.
 

"Oh, Hitomi. Mom and I are going to watch a movie later. I asked her if you could tag along. She said yes as long as you wanted to. Would you like to watch a movie with us?" Chaewon asked Hitomi who just looked up from scanning her book.
 

It took a while for Hitomi to understand what Chaewon said. As soon as she did, she nodded her head excitedly.
 

"Ahh, thank you for agreeing Hitomi!" Chaewon once again hugged the younger. This time, Hitomi hugged back. "Mom would be happy that you said yes."

--

The doorbell rang from the Kim's residence. "I got it!" Said the little Chaewon excitedly, opening the front door to be greeted by a smiling Hitomi along with her mom.
 

Ever since Chaewon and Hitomi became close, their moms also became friends. As the two kids would most likely spend their days with each other, their moms also find themselves seeing each other a lot. Because of that, the two adults were used to seeing each other too.
 

"Oh, hey Chaewon." Hitomi's mom greeted her. Chaewon was bouncing excitedly.
 

"Hello Auntie!" She greets back. "Hiichan, wanna get inside now? I heard mom's already bringing the ice cream out."
 

Hitomi looked at her mom for permission. Her mom nodded her head, smiling. Hitomi hugged her mom first as she went inside with Chaewon.
 

Both the little girls raced towards the kitchen where the ice cream was. Hitomi's mom was watching from the door, chuckling seeing how excited the two girls were.
 

"You can leave Hiichan here. I'll make sure she doesn't eat too much sweets. Not after what happened before." Chaewon's mom said, now beside Mrs. Honda. Hitomi's mom chuckled again.
 

"I don't think that'll be possible considering Chaewon is there to influence her." Mrs. Honda jokingly said.
 

"Mhm, I think you're right. Chaewon sure does have a big influence on Hitomi." Mrs. Kim said, staring with amusement at the two girls who were busy filling their mouths with ice cream.
 

After Hitomi's mom left and the ice cream all finished, Chaewon decided it was already time for them to watch a movie. She grabbed Hitomi's hand, pulling her into the living room where their huge TV was located.
 

"Hiichan, you can sit next to me. I already put tons of pillows on it in case you wanted to lay down." Chaewon said, sitting on her seat while urging Hitomi to sit beside her. "You can put Mr. Cuddles between us if you like. That way, he won't get scared."
 

Hitomi was a bit reluctant at first. She didn't know what movie they were going to watch and basing on Chaewon's words, it was a horror movie.
 

"Uhm, is it a horror movie that we're gonna watch?" Hitomi asked Chaewon in a small voice. Now that she was sitting next to Chaewon, she had her eyes fixed on the huge TV in front of her, scared that something might pop out.
 

Chaewon chuckled. "No, don't worry. Mom said horror movies aren't good for me since I get nightmares after I watch it. We'll be watching a cartoon movie."
 

Hitomi let out a small sigh, putting Mr. Cuddles next to her and Chaewon.
 

Chaewon looked at Mr. Cuddles and at Hitomi, smiling.
 

Upon the arrival of Chaewon's mom and the placement of snacks on the table in front of them, their movie time began. Chaewon and Hitomi watching the movie intently while also enjoying each other's presence.

--

You can say that Chaewon and Hitomi's friendship are one of those friendships that has a strong bond. After becoming friends when they were in kindergarten, it continued on until they passed elementary and continued high school.
 

During their elementary days, they met two new people. Both whom became their friends. These people were Nako and Yuri.
 

Nako was also Japanese, just like Hitomi. They've met her during the third grade. Same as Hitomi before, no one dared to approach the small fellow. Hitomi, being a Japanese and already experienced this kind of treatment, approached Nako. With Hitomi dragging along Chaewon, they all eventually became friends.
 

Yuri was a transferee from Busan when they were in fifth grade. Her classmates used to make fun of her because of her Busan accent. Hitomi, along with the two, were the only ones who didn't find it funny. One time when Yuri was being bullied by a couple of girls from their class, Hitomi and her friends stood up for her. Then and there, started the beginning of their friendship.
 

Up until today where they'll be entering high school, the four were still together. Chaewon was a year older than the rest of them but she was in the same year as her friends since she started going to school late.
 

On the first day of high school, the four of them agreed to meet each other in front of their new school. Every one was excited with the start of a brand new chapter ahead of them.
 

Before school started, Hitomi wanted to look nice for the first day. She planned on braiding her hair that's why she asked her mother for help.
 

She sat on her room's vanity, watching her mom tie her hair into braids.
 

"Mom?" She called out. Her mother hummed in response, glancing at Hitomi in the mirror. "What's it like in high school?"
 

Her mother let out a sigh, smiling. "Awe, my baby's nervous about her first day." She said, teasing Hitomi.
 

Hitomi chuckled, about to shake her head no when she remembered that her mother was braiding her hair. "It's not that. I'm just curious. You know, it's a whole new world I'll be experiencing starting today."
 

Her mom hummed as she nodded. "Well, first of all, high school is way different than elementary since these years would be one of the best years of your life." Her mom started.
 

"High school would make you experience new things in life. You'll meet different people, learn how to be independent, find out what it means of breaking a little rules, and maybe experience your first love." Her mom winked at her from the mirror as she said that. Hitomi could only laugh.
 

"I don't think I'll be able to do that just yet, but high school seems fun. I can't wait to experience it." Hitomi says, her mom finishing lacing her hair into braids.

--

The four met in front of the school, just like they agreed. Now that they were all gathered together, they proceeded to the Principal's office to get their schedules. Having their schedules, they started comparing it with one another.

"Hmm, it seems like I have most of my classes with Yuri. Four of my classes are with Nako and only three classes with you, Hiichan." Chaewon tells Hitomi, frowning a bit.
 

Hitomi chuckled at her. "It's okay. We'll get to see each other during break. Besides, I got Nako in most of my classes so I'll be fine." Hitomi tells Chaewon.
 

She was trying to assure Chaewon that even though they won't be sharing many of their classes together, it'll be fine since they'll get to see each other when their classes are over. At least, that's what Hitomi wanted Chaewon to feel even though deep down, she was feeling kind of sad because of this.


 

Their first day ended surprisingly well. Not a lot of teachers gave them homeworks as it was only the first day. Hitomi did get to see her friends, mostly Nako who shared the same class as her. But as for Chaewon and Yuri, it was almost impossible.
 

When they said that they'll met each other during breaks well, that didn't go too well. Chaewon and Yuri's break time weren't the same as Hitomi and Nako's. Hitomi's break was a little earlier than the two.
 

If Hitomi didn't admit that she was sad about it earlier, well now, she did. She wore a huge frown on her face as the whole day progressed. Fortunately, school was done for the day and it was finally time for the four to reunite.
 

"Woah, what's got our Hiichan all sad and gloomy?" Chaewon jokingly asks as she saw the two.
 

Hitomi didn't say anything. She went near Chaewon and clinged on her arm. "Well, someone's clingy." Chaewon says again, chuckling as she ruffled Hitomi's hair.
 

"Seems like she missed you. And not to mention, I missed her and our little Nako as well." Yuri says, hugging Nako as she try her best to carry Nako up in which Nako refused.
 

"Yah! Jo Yuri! I'm not a child!" Nako says, grumpily as Yuri let her down.
 

"Yeah, okay. Keep telling yourself that." Yuri teasingly says. The three of them laughed at Nako who seemed to be fuming with anger, yet still managing to look cute.
 

"Listen, I--" Nako was cut off midsentence by Chaewon.
 

"Anyone wants some ice cream? My treat."
 

As Nako heard Chaewon's words, she started to smile, making all her dark aura disappear.
 

"I do! I do!" Said Nako as she had her hand raised in the air, jumping in excitement.
 

"I wouldn't mind having some. The first day stressed me out." Yuri dramarically says.
 

"How about you, Hii? Up for some ice cream?" Chaewon asked Hitomi who was still holding her arm.
 

Hitomi looked up to meet Chaewon's eyes.
 

"Always."

--

They arrived at the ice cream shop a little later. It was filled with almost students from their school. Yuri and Nako went to find them a seat while Chaewon and Hitomi ordered for them.
 

"Okay, so that'll be mint choco for Nako and me, chocolate for Yuri and vanilla for you." Chaewon says, looking at Hitomi.
 

"Mhm." Hitomi says. "Are you okay with paying? I'll pay for my own ice cream if you like."
 

Chaewon shook her head no. "No, it's fine. I was the one who asked you guys here. As I said, my treat." Chaewon repeated from earlier as she grinned at Hitomi.
 

Hitomi chuckles, finding Chaewon really cute just now.


 

Before dawn, the four managed to get home. Another school day was waiting for them tomorrow. No matter how much Hitomi hated it, she still had to attend classes.
 

Hitomi felt like her school days became slower as she and her friends were separated from each other. Maybe it's the fact that it was the first time she got separated from them, or maybe it's just Hitomi missing Chaewon's presence who have been with her ever since the very first day. Whatever it was, it irked Hitomi.
 

Nako would always try her best to brighten Hitomi's feelings. Since they were always together, Nako wanted to see a smiling and happy Hitomi, rather than this sad and grumpy Hitomi who was with her now.
 

"Come on, Hiichan. Cheer up!" Nako tells her, dancing to TWICE's 'Cheer Up' a bit. "It's already friday. You can enjoy your friday night all you want once school's over."
 

Hitomi sighs. "This day seems like it's taking forever." She says again, more dramatic this time as she put her head down, trying to sleep.
 

Nako rolled her eyes playfully at the girl. She rubbed Hitomi's back as she says, "We'll get through the day, don't worry."

--

Nako was right about one thing, and that is them finally making it through the day. As the bell rang for the last time today, the students—including a now smiling Hitomi, filed out of the once crowded classroom. Every one was either talking among themselves, planning on what they'll do tonight, and some were merely excited to go home.
 

Nako and Hitomi saw Chaewon and Yuri next to their lockers. Nako leaned on the locker next to Chaewon just before Chaewon closed hers.
 

As soon as she did, she saw Nako smirking at her, making Chaewon jumped in surprise.
 

"Nako! You didn't have to scare me like that." Chaewon says, as Nako continued to laugh.
 

"Sorry, I thought you already saw Hiichan and I coming." Nako says, chuckling a bit.
 

Yuri then got in between them, squeezing Nako as well as Hitomi who was now next to her.
 

"Nako! Hiichan! I missed you guys." Yuri says, hugging her friends.
 

"Yeah, yeah. We missed you too." Hitomi says as Yuri released them. She smiled at Yuri while also glancing at Chaewon who was watching them.
 

"So, it's already friday. Got any plans tonight?" Chaewon asked them.
 

The three seemed to ponder for a bit. Hitomi was thinking hard if she did have plans. A few seconds later, she realized she didn't have any plans.
 

"I got nothing." Hitomi tells them. Chaewon smiled after hearing this.
 

"How about you guys?" She asked the two. "Have plans?"
 

Yuri nodded sadly. "Unfortunately, my mom asked me to babysit my cousin tonight. My auntie's coming and she's having a friday night get together at our house."
 

Chaewon nodded her head understandingly at Yuri. She then looked over at Nako.
 

"I don't have plans tonight." Said Nako, smiling. "Why'd you ask?"
 

"Nothing. Just wanted to ask you guys if you'd want to join me for a movie night at my house. I heard my sister will be going out later and mom and dad won't be home until tomorrow afternoon. We have all the house to ourselves." Chaewon says, wiggling her eyebrows. "We can eat all the sweets we want!"
 

Hitomi, Nako, and Yuri's ears perked up. Seeing how free they are going to be in Chaewon's house that night made them excited. Hitomi and Nako immediately agreed to go. Yuri, on the other hand, got a lot more sad knowing she won't be able to come.
 

"This is just unfair." Yuri had her hands wrapped around the straps of her bag as she pouted.
 

Chaewon wrapped her arms around Yuri's shoulders. "Don't worry. There'll always be a next time."

--

Just like before, everything was set up at Chaewon's house as she had guest coming. The only difference was Chaewon was the only one who prepped all of these herself. No one was there to help her and she was happy that way. Because of that, no one will tell her to stop eating junk foods and even tell her to sleep early.
 

Chaewon heard the doorbell ring while she was fixing the living room. "Come in. It's open." She told the person behind the door.
 

Chaewon then heard footsteps coming near where she was cleaning. She looked up and saw only Hitomi. Nako wasn't there with her.
 

"Oh, hi Hiichan." Chaewon says. "Where's Nako?"
 

Hitomi scratched the back of her head, chuckling awkwardly.
 

"She texted me earlier saying she wouldn't be able to come. She somehow ate something that upset her stomach. And now, she's having a bit of a trouble." Hitomi chuckles again. "Is it okay if I'm the only one who'll watch a movie with you?"
 

Chaewon smiled. "Just like old times? Sure."


 

A sense of nostalgia came flowing through Hitomi as she was seated at where she was before, often times when Chaewon and her watched a movie in the Kim's residence. Only now, Hitomi didn't have Mr. Cuddles with her and she was fine with watching even scary movies.
 

"You ready, Hii?" Chaewon asked her, now holding the remote and about to turn on the movie that they were going to watch.
 

"Mhm." Hitomi answered. She was holding a pillow close to her chest while munching some of the chips that Chaewon had prepare.
 

"By the way, I just remembered." Chaewon says, just before she started the movie. "I picked a scary movie for tonight. Will you be okay? Won't you need Mr. Cuddles?" Chaewon asked teasingly.
 

Hitomi shook her head no aggressively. "Nope. I can handle it. I'm already a grownup. I don't need Mr. Cuddles anymore."
 

It was true that Hitomi is a grownup now, at least that's what she tells herself. She believes that she doesn't need Mr. Cuddles anymore when in reality, she still had him whenever she was sleeping. Mr. Cuddles was someone special to Hitomi and she wouldn't just throw him away like that. She just wouldn't admit that she still had Mr. Cuddles with her.
 

Chaewon could only laugh hearing the younger's response. "Okay, whatever you say." She ruffled Hitomi's hair after she said that.
 

"Besides," Hitomi spoke once again. "I already have you by my side so there's nothing I should be afraid."
 

Chaewon was looking at Hitomi as she said that. Believe it or not, hearing that made Chaewon happy. She snuggled closer to Hitomi's side as she started playing the movie, not daring to say anything else.
 

Hitomi was happy when Chaewon did this. She smiled to herself as she leaned her head on Chaewon's shoulder.
 

Throughout the movie, Hitomi didn't even feel even the slightest bit of being scared. Maybe it was because she focused on eating chips more than the movie, or maybe because they had the lights on while watching, or maybe, because Hitomi could feel Chaewon next to her—making her feel safe and secured as they watched the supposedly horror movie.
 

Hitomi felt something in the pit of her stomach as she thinks about Chaewon being close to her like this. It was something new to her and she couldn't explain it. Whatever that feeling was, it made Hitomi nervous.

--

Throughout the whole weekend, Hitomi couldn't stop thinking about that feeling that she felt back when they were in Chaewon's house. She might have a thing or two on what it is about, but she doesn't want to assume anything yet.
 

Sure, Hitomi knows a little bit about what that feeling is. As someone who is already in high school, she sure would know about these kind of things. Not to mention that her mother already talked about topics like that with her.
 

Even so, Hitomi was feeling doubtful. Yes, she knows all about these things. But how can you tell it is what you think it is when you're feeling it for the first time?
 

Seconds passed by, hours that turned into days that soon turned into weeks, Hitomi still couldn't figure out what to do with her feelings.
 

Gladly enough, nothing much changed between the two of them. Chaewon continued being her cheerful, lovely self to Hitomi. And Hitomi well... she did try to do things like she did before, as if nothing has changed with the way she sees Chaewon.
 

But with her feelings getting stronger as she continues to spend time with Chaewon and Chaewon just about making Hitomi feel butterflies everytime, Hitomi couldn't help but to ignore Chaewon.
 

She didn't want to ignore Chaewon. It's just that she can't stay by her side knowing she's starting to feel something for her.
 

For the first few days, Chaewon didn't notice a thing. But as they've finished their first year, going on to the next, that's when she noticed it.
 

It was already the start of a brand new school year. Hitomi just finished getting her new schedule from the office. As soon as Hitomi went out, she saw Chaewon standing before her—wearing her sweet, innocent smile, holding out her schedule to Hitomi.
 

"Hitoma!" She suddenly says. Hitomi flinched at the sudden excitement in Chaewon's voice.
 

"Oh, sorry. Was just excited to see your schedule." Chaewon says, scratching the back of her head.
 

Hitomi pursed her lips as she hummed. She wasn't gonna lie. Seeing Chaewon waiting for her outside the office and now being all happy just because of their schedule, made Hitomi's heart beat faster.

Although, Hitomi reminded herself about why she needs to do this. Just why she needed to ignore Chaewon and act like she doesn't get swayed by the little things that she does.
 

"Here." Hitomi says, giving Chaewon her schedule. "You can check if we'll have the same class this year, not that I want to."
 

Hearing Hitomi's words, Chaewon became confused. She did notice that Hitomi's action changed towards her but now, she doesn't even know if Hitomi still want to her by her side.
 

"Okay." Chaewon answers slowly, trying her best not to be affected with Hitomi's words.
 

Chaewon scanned the paper intently. Hitomi was waiting at the side. After a minute or so, Chaewon smiled again, now looking at Hitomi.
 

"Good news. We almost got all the classes together just like I had last year with Yuri. The only class that we don't have together are Chemistry, Literature, Biology, and Social Studies." Says Chaewon, smiling once again at Hitomi.
 

Hearing that made Hitomi all happy. Finally, she got most of her classes with Chaewon this time. She felt like celebrating with Chaewon when she remembered what she was supposed to be doing.
 

"That's great, I suppose." She says blankly. "See you in our first class, then?" She gave Chaewon a small smile before going on her way. Chaewon was left standing alone in the hallway, staring at the back of Hitomi who was now on her way to their first class.

--

It seems like Hitomi's plan wasn't working well with herself either. She can't continue ignoring and acting like she doesn't care about Chaewon. Sooner or later, she'll start to burst. She might as well spill her guts to Chaewon than continue doing her act.
 

And to add to her dismay, Chaewon already confronted her about this. Two weeks ago when Chaewon asked her if they could hangout and Hitomi ignoring, Chaewon started to ask her this one question that Hitomi was dreading to hear.
 

"Hitomi, are you ignoring me?" Chaewon asked, her eyes full of worry. "If I did something wrong, you can go ahead and tell me. I'll make sure to make up for what I did."
 

Hitomi took a slow breath in. It seems like Chaewon had it hard when Hitomi started ignoring her. Hitomi thought how could she be selfish not to think of Chaewon's feelings? All this time, she was scared for her growing feelings for her that she forgot that Chaewon had her own feelings too.
 

Hitomi, after months of not doing this, held Chaewon's hand. Chaewon seemed to be surprise at first, not to mention that Hitomi hasn't been doing this for a long time now.
 

"Y-You didn't do anything wrong, Chaewon. It was me, I did something wrong." Hitomi says, still holding Chaewon's hand and not looking at the older. "I just... need time to think but please, don't beat yourself up for this. I'll be the one to make it up for you."
 

As soon as she said that, Hitomi took off running. Not even daring to glance back at Chaewon who was left frozen on her spot.
 

Back to the present, Hitomi was now laying down in bed. That happened two weeks ago and she still haven't told Chaewon why she really said that nor tell her friends about it.
 

What she did do was tell a huge lie to Chaewon by saying that she was stressed out with school works that's why she seemed like ignoring her. Lucky for her, Chaewon took her lie. As long as they'll get back to how they use to again, it was okay with Chaewon.
 

What Hitomi didn't know was that at that exact moment where she told Chaewon her lie, one small squirrel was gawking over them. This squirrel was listening intently to the conversation of the two.
 

As Hitomi continued to mull over her failed decisions in life, she suddenly received a message from Nako.
 

"Nako-Nako-Ni"
You free this Saturday???
 

Hitomi got up and sat on her bed. She looked at Nako's text confusedly before typing in her reply.
 

"Hiichan"
Yes. And what's with the multiple question marks?
 

"Nako-Nako-Ni"
Nevermind that. Just meet me at the cafè near our school this Saturday. No more questions asked. Bye :>>
 

Reading Nako's last message, Hitomi was about to question Nako again on why she was acting like this. But seeing Nako's text about not asking anymore questions, Hitomi decided to turn her phone off and continue comtemplating whether her life decisions could get worse.

--

Saturday came in a flash as Hitomi can now be seen getting off a bus, reaching the place where Nako told her to meet.
 

Upon entering the café, Hitomi tried to find Nako with her eyes. She wanted to finish this meeting already even if she didn't have any plans that day. A few seconds in, she saw her friend sitting near a couple with a baby. Hitomi made her way over to her friend.
 

"Mind telling me why'd you ask me to come here?" Hitomi asks Nako as she sat down opposite from her.
 

Nako was sipping her coffee slowly. She put it down, clasping her hands together, before looking at Hitomi sternly.
 

"I don't know. Mind telling me what's the tea between you and Chaewon unnie?"
 

Hitomi choke on her saliva, coughing a bit soon after. She recomposed herself and tried not to be intimidated by Nako's stare.
 

"There's no tea between me and her. Besides, if this has something to do with me ignoring her, I already told her why. I'm just stressed out with school, that's it." Says Hitomi. She was hoping, praying that Nako will take her excuse and go. She didn't feel like spilling any tea at the moment.
 

Nako raised her eyebrows, shrugging. She grabbed her coffee and took a sip from it. "If you say so. I guess I'll just have to tell Yuri about this and see if she believes you."
 

Hitomi's eyes widened. She started flailing her hands in front of Nako. "No, no! Don't tell her!"
 

Hitomi knew what Nako meant by this. If Nako starts telling Yuri about her speculations that there is something wrong happening between Chaewon and her, she'll start telling Chaewon about this and Hitomi didn't want that. Now that Hitomi has convinced Chaewon about her attitude for the past days, she didn't want her thinking that there were still things she wasn't saying.
 

Nako knew she won this round. She put down her cup as she gave Hitomi a sly smirk. "Mind telling me what's really going on? Don't worry, I won't tell."
 

Hitomi took a deep breath in before releasing it. "You promise?" Hitomi asked her. Nako shook her head yes as she showed Hitomi her pinky.
 

"Okay then. Here goes."


 

It was hard for Hitomi to tell Nako all about the things that was on her mind for quite some time now. Nako listened intently, making sure not to miss any of Hitomi's words. As soon as Hitomi finished, Nako was already looking at her with a wide smile.
 

"Wait, why are you smiling?" Hitomi asks Nako. Nako's smile only grew bigger when she heard this.
 

"Hiichan! You should've told me you were in love!" Nako says in a loud voice, making even the baby from the other table look at them.
 

Hitomi glared at Nako. She looked at the other table and said sorry for her friend's behavior.
 

"Would you keep your voice down? And who says I'm in love? I don't think that's what this feeling is." Hitomi says, ignoring what Nako told her.
 

"Hiichan, think about it. You always feel happy every time you see Chaewon, you feel sad when you're not with her, every time she goes all friendly with you, it makes you feel something, and I just know that those something were butterflies in your tummy. Chaewon unnie made you feel those things."
 

"You tried to ignore her with fear of making your feelings stronger when you spend more time with her. Only to fail in the end only 'cause you realized, you fell for her even more. You are in love Hii, and you're in love with Chaewon unnie." Nako finishes.
 

Hitomi sighed. Now that Nako has voiced her thoughts out, she's starting to think that this little squirrel was right.
 

"I think... you're right." Hitomi ends up answering.
 

Nako was now wearing a triumphant smile on her face. "I told you I'm right. See, even the baby agrees." Nako says, pointing at the baby who was now looking at them, smiling with his gummy teeth.
 

"Okay. I guess that settles it. What do you want me to do then?" Hitomi tells Nako in a small voice, almost like a whisper. She was still new to any of this and she didn't know what to do next.
 

"Tell her how you feel!" Nako says excitedly. "At least, that's what they do in the movies."
 

"What?! I can't do that!" Hitomi says, her face displayed a look of horror. "I don't think I'll be able to and I'm fine with where we are now. As long as Chaewon unnie will be there for me as a friend, I'll be happy with that."
 

"Boo. You're no fun." Nako says, throwing a piece of table napkin on Hitomi. "Even if you don't tell her, she'll find it out soon. Chaewon unnie is a smart girl. Not to mention she knows you well. It wouldn't be long until she finds out your little secret."
 

Hitomi sighs for the umpteenth time today. "I understand. But for now, it's best if she won't know."

--

Nako kept her promise and didn't tell anyone about Hitomi's little secret. Although every small chance she gets, she teases Hitomi without Chaewon and Yuri seeing.
 

That day, it was already time for the holidays. They would get at least one and a half week of break before going back to finish the last semester for the year.
 

Everyone was already making plans for the break. Hitomi was about to leave when Chaewon called out for her.
 

"Hitomi!" Chaewon says excitedly, waving her hand for Hitomi to see her. Hitomi smiled before going near Chaewon.
 

"What's up?" Says Hitomi.
 

"What's up?" Chaewon repeated. "You know what's up. We have no school starting tomorrow!" Chaewon says, yet again in an exciting manner.
 

Hitomi chuckled at her friend. "Yes, I know that. Is that why you called for me?"
 

"Oh, yeah." Chaewon says. "About that, I was wondering if you'd like to spend the holidays with me?"
 

The once excited voice of Chaewon turned into a shy, almost whispering voice of her. Hitomi wasn't even quite sure if she heard her right.
 

"I'm sorry, what was that?" Hitomi asked Chaewon who busy staring at the floor, standing awkwardly at the side.
 

"I-I was just wondering if you'd like to spend the holidays with me. Not that I'm forcing you to say yes. The decision's up to you. It's just that you can say no if you don't want to but it doesn't also mean I would like you to say no because I wouldn't be asking this question right now if I did." Chaewon blabbered, looking at anywhere but Hitomi.
 

Now that Chaewon repeated what she said or more like said too much information of what she said earlier, Hitomi clearly understood what Chaewon was trying to ask her. Ears slightly redenning because of the sudden realization, Hitomi did her best to nod—just the right amount of nodding, not too much that would make her look eager.
 

"Sure." Hitomi casually says as soon as she nodded. "That seems like a really good idea. I'll just ask my mom if she'll agree."
 

A small smile crept on Chaewon's face. She slowly looked up at Hitomi, the small smile now a wide grin. Hitomi could see happiness displayed in Chaewon's eyes.
 

"Great! Just let me know if she agrees." Chaewon says, still beaming at Hitomi.
 

"I'll let you know as soon as I get a response from her." Hitomi answers back, now smiling at Chaewon.
 

Seconds later, the two of them bid goodbye. Just as Hitomi thought she was far away from Chaewon, she heard her say, "I really want to spend the holidays with you, Hitoma."
 

Hitomi pretended she didn't hear just that eventhough her heart was beating loudly in her chest.

--

Good news for Chaewon, Hitomi's mom let her stay the holidays at their house. Hitomi promised her mom that she'll be spending next year with her family as she spent it this year with Chaewon. Her mom told her that it was nothing and that Chaewon's family is also like their family so it was fine if Hitomi wanted to spend her holidays with them.
 

That time, on the first night of their break, Chaewon thought it was a good day for them to stargaze. Chaewon already had planned everything. She had set up a picnic blanket with pillows on top of it. There was also a mini table with their drinks placed on top of it. Next to the table, there was a picnic basket with snacks that even Chaewon herself made. Chaewon wanted to make sure that their first night of their break will be one to remember.
 

At around 8pm that night, they laid against the picnic blanket, gazing at the starry night above. There were minimal clouds present that night that made it the perfect time to stargaze. Chaewon was eating some chips while Hitomi was busy staring at the sky.
 

Chaewon noticed that Hitomi became quiet all of the sudden. She prompted an elbow up, put her head on top of it, and looked at Hitomi.
 

"Something in your mind?"
 

Hitomi took a glance at the girl beside her. She smiled softly before answering, "Not really. I was just trying to remember what constellations that I know and I'm trying to find if some of them are present tonight."
 

Chaewon snorts before laying down once again. The two were laid closely together, their heads almost bumping with each other. "Sad to say, but I can't help you with that. I don't think I've been listening to Mr. Ko that well." Chaewon says, chuckling a bit. She put the pack of chips back into the picnic basket as she dusted her hand on her pants.
 

There was a moment of silence between them. No one dared to talk as they only stared at the beautiful starry night ahead. A few seconds more, Hitomi broke the silence.
 

"Chaewon unnie?" She called out.
 

"Hmm?" Chaewon hummed beside her, still not taking her eyes off the stars.
 

"H-How can you tell if you like someone?" Hitomi asks her.
 

Chaewon was caught off-guard with the question. She glanced towards Hitomi's and saw her fiddling with her fingers, not even daring to look at her.
 

"Uhm... Hmm... let me see..." Chaewon says, seemingly pondering at Hitomi's words to find the correct answer.
 

"Well, personally, I think you can say that you like someone when you always want to see them. Every time they're not around, you can't help but feel like there's an empty space inside you and you can't help but wait until the day you'll finally get to see them again."
 

Chaewon took a deep breath in before starting again. "And every time you're with them, you can't help but think of wanting to hold their hand, hug them, or... kiss them."
 

Chaewon finally finished answering Hitomi's question. Again, nobody dared to answer. The once was comfortable silence became slightly awkward as no one thought of breaking the silence between them.
 

"Why'd you ask that, Hii? Do you like someone?" This time, it was Chaewon who broke the silence. She asked Hitomi this with a slight tone of teasing in her voice.
 

Looking slightly at Hitomi, Chaewon noticed that her plump cheeks started to turn pinkish. Chaewon could only chuckle.
 

"I-It's not that." Hitomi says, finally finding her voice. "I just got curious, that's all."
 

Hitomi knew that she shouldn't have asked Chaewon that. She was being too obvious that Chaewon herself might know about these feelings that she was harboring. Not to mention that she knew, at that moment, that she did like Chaewon more than a friend.
 

A lot of thoughts were circling Hitomi's mind. She didn't know whether to run away, bury herself on the pillows next to her, or even wish to disapper right at this second.
 

Her thoughts were soon left to a halt when she felt a hand holding her own. With wide eyes, Hitomi looked at the person that it belonged to. It belonged to none other than, Kim Chaewon.
 

As soon as their eyes met, Chaewon gave Hitomi a soft, genuine smile. It was as if Chaewon was trying to tell Hitomi something.
 

But whatever it was, Hitomi decided not to think about it too much. What she did was she smiled back at Chaewon, holding her hand tighter, as they both gazed at the beautiful thing in front of them. This time, it wasn't the stars that they were gazing at. As cliché as it may sound, they were gazing at each other's eyes.

--

Their holiday break ended already as soon as it started. Hitomi was glad that she spent her holiday break at the Kim's residence.
 

A lot has happened since then. After stargazing, they went on a trip to the carnival the next day. The day after that, they spent the whole day binge-watching their favorite K-drama. On the day of Chuseok, different members of Chaewon's family came over. Hitomi had a wonderful time meeting them all. She felt like a part of the family even if she was only Chaewon's friend.
 

It was fun and memorable spending the holiday break with Chaewon and her family. Although amidst all the things that they have done, there was one thing in Hitomi's mind that she couldn't seem to forget. And that is, the moment that they've stargazing.
 

Even after everything that they did during the break, that was the one thing Hitomi was sure that she wouldn't forget.
 

As she got home back from her family, asking her how things went, Hitomi couldn't really tell them the whole story as the only thing that was occupying her mind was what happened that night.
 

This thought kept Hitomi up all night, even the day before school officially starts again. At that moment, Hitomi knew just what to do.
 

The first thing that Hitomi did when she entered school after the long break was to find Nako. She has confided Nako about all of this a few days back. Now that there were few information added to her feelings, she decided it was best if she tells Nako about it.
 

She found Nako in her usual place. Sitting next to the window, gazing outside, waiting for their first period to start. Hitomi immediately sat beside Nako as she tapped her back.
 

"Nako, there's something I need to tell you."



As Hitomi finished, she looked straight up to Nako. The whole time Hitomi told her story, she didn't look at Nako. It seemed as though she found her fingernails more interesting than looking at what her friend's reaction would be. But the moment that Hitomi looked up, she instantly regretted doing it.
 

Nako's eyes displayed mischief in them. She started wiggling both her eyebrows at Hitomi.
 

"See! I told you to confess already. Judging by your story, it seems like Chaewon unnie likes you too!"
 

Hitomi sighed, running a hand through her hair. "I don't know. I thought about that possibility too. But what if I confess and I end up being wrong? Wouldn't that make things awkward between us?"
 

"Hiichan, you wouldn't really know that unless you try, right? If things won't go the way you want it to, at least you tried. It could be either that or, Chaewon unnie could be waiting for you to confess and then she'll say she likes you too and then you guys will live happily ever after." Nako received a slap on the arm by Hitomi because of that.
 

"Ouch, kidding. But seriously, it's up you Hii. You could either live a life full of regrets or end up getting hurt, but at least you took the chance. You're move." Nako finishes.
 

There was a huge argument going inside Hitomi's mind right now. She didn't know whether to listen to Nako this time. She knew her friend had a point but still, she was happy being close to Chaewon. Would she risk their friendship over these silly feelings that she had?
 

The answer to that question is simply... yes.

--

Nako's plan of "getting-Hii-to-confess-to-Chaewon unnie-and-them-living-happily-ever-after" was now a go. Yes, Nako could've think of a better name than that. But, no. Nako would rather stick to that title rather than thinking of an awesome cool name that would better fit the situation because she was lazy to do so. The least she could do was generate this whole thing up and even have Yuri join along them.
 

The plan was simple. Before lunch break, Hitomi and Nako will go to Chaewon and Yuri's last class. It was Social Studies that's why Hitomi didn't have it with Chaewon. After that, Yuri will make sure that the coast is clear before Hitomi walks up and ask Chaewon if they can spend their lunch break on the school's rooftop. If ever Chaewon will ask Yuri and Nako to come, they will make up an excuse. Hopefully, Chaewon will buy it. By then, when they reach the rooftop, Hitomi will confess. That was Nako's plan, simple as that.
 

Moving on to the real thing. The bell rang, signaling it was already lunch break. Hitomi and Nako hurriedly made their way over Chaewon and Yuri's classroom. They were hiding at the far end of the corridor, waiting for the two to come out.
 

Yuri came out the room first, letting other students pass by her. She was making sure that Chaewon and her were the only ones left in the hallway before Hitomi comes up to them.
 

The plan went by smoothly. The students started filing out the room one by one. Yuri gave a signal to the two as Chaewon was the only one left in the room and was now heading out.
 

As Hitomi was about to step in and walk towards the classroom, a tall guy together with his friends passed by them. He was holding up a rose in his hand, going to the direction where Hitomi was heading. The guy's friends stand a few feet away from him, watching what he'll do next while sniggering amongst each other.
 

Hitomi stopped abruptly at this. Both her and Nako was left standing in the hallway, watching the guy who was now walking towards Chaewon. Yuri can also be seen looking at the guy confusedly.
 

Hitomi couldn't really understand why this was happening. But she was sure with one thing, the guy was going to confess to Chaewon. Knowing that this might happen, she grabbed Nako by the shoulders and pulled her back to their hiding spot.
 

"What the? Why did you--"
 

"Let's just wait." Hitomi tells her when Nako began to speak. "I wanna see what will happen."
 

The moment that Chaewon walked out the room, the guy called out her attention. He was scratching the back of his head, saying something to Chaewon. Even from a far, one could tell he was blushing.
 

Chaewon looked at Yuri first before looking back at the guy. Hitomi thought that Chaewon would say sorry and just reject him but, she didn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter