final

Young Dumb Broke

 

 

“We are here for a fun time, not a long time."  

"We only live once, so let's make sure our story is written well."


 

They say “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” They say live your life to the fullest, live with no worries, no stress, live happily. But what is happiness? How do we discover and feel happiness? How do we pursue and achieve happiness? How do we balance and maintain happiness? What is the meaning behind the happiness we feel? How do we savor and appreciate the feeling of happiness? 

 

That is what two teenage girls plan to figure out. Eighteen-year-old Anh Yujin and Kim Minju just graduated from high school, both having no clue on what to do with their life. All they know is that they want to live their lives to the fullest with no regrets. 

 

Minju is a shy and introverted girl. She grew up in a very wealthy household, but she is extremely humble. She helps out the homeless shelter and animal shelter every month. Though she feels lonely most of the time because her parents are rarely home due to business trips, she understands her parents because it isn't easy being the CEO of the world’s biggest company. 

 

 Yujin, Minju’s best friend, is the opposite of Minju, she is outgoing and is a ball of energy. She grew up with her grandparents because her parents died in a car crash when she was younger. She was often bullied in elementary. The kids in her class would make fun of her because she didn’t have parents. But as she grew up, she didn’t care for the ugly comments anymore. Her bullies wanted to be her friend after she quickly became the star of her high school’s basketball team. 

 

It is a windy and chilly night and Minju is on her bed reading her favorite book, “They Both Die At The End.” Suddenly, a sharp clack came from her window. She wondered why there was a sudden noise coming from her window in the middle of the night so she went to check it out. She closed her book and placed it on the nightstand next to her bed. Looking out from her window, she saw her best friend, Anh Yujin. The girl was in a blue hoodie with her hood up, and as soon as she saw Minju’s head popping out her window, she waved and whispered “hello”. At this point, Minju isn’t even surprised to see Yujin, because Yujin always comes and visits. Although there are gates and guards around the house, Yujin will always find a way to escape and get into her house. 

 

“Come on let’s go,” Yujin whispered. “Where are we going,” Minju asked. “Somewhere dope,” Yujin replied. “Ok, hold up let me get my things,” Minju said. Yujin gave her a thumbs up before Minju closed her window. Minju grabbed her white hoodie that was sitting on her chair and sneakily went downstairs, trying not to get the maids’ attention. A few moments later Minju was seen climbing out the window. Not long after, Yujin went to help her climb out. “Sheesh it is cold,” Minju said while putting on her hoodie. “So where are we going,” Minju asked again. Yujin smiled and said, “Follow me.” They sneakily walked towards the back of the house and got ready to climb over the fence. Since it was darker towards the back, it would be harder to be caught by the guards. Yujin then threw her backpack over the fence and started climbing up and over the fence. Minju went next, as she carefully tried not to fall flat on her face. Yujin also helped her, because she knows her best friend is always clumsy. It isn’t Minju’s first time sneaking out with Yujin, but she still gets nervous every time she sneaks out. 

 

And just like that, they successfully sneaked out. They walked farther away from the house to Yujin’s car. Well, it technically isn’t Yujin’s car since she stole it from her grandfather. “Your grandfather is going to kill you if he finds out you took his car again,” Minju said while getting into the car. “He’ll never know,” Yujin shrugged. “You know my birthday is in a few months, so it would be nice if you get me a car,” Yujin said while putting her seat belt on. “I’ll take that into consideration,” Minju said. The 1965 Mustang Convertible is Yujin’s grandfather’s precious baby, so no one is allowed to drive it. Her grandfather rarely drives it as well. He only drives it during special occasions. 

 

“You ready,” Yujin asked. “Always,” Minju replied. “Ok, let’s go,” Yujin said as she started the engine. The roads were clear since it was pretty late, so there aren’t as many cars on the road compared to during the day. Yujin then the radio and turned to her favorite station that plays the best 2000s music. “Girl, the music is so quiet, put it on blast,” Minju said. “Your wish is my command,” Yujin said as she put the music on blast. “Your boy boy boy b-b-b-b-b-boyfriend,” the radio played. “That you’re looking for a boyfriend,” Minju sang. “I see that,” Yujin sang back. “Gimme time, you know I’m gonna be there, don’t be scared to come out your trust in me, can’t you see all I really want to be is your boyfriend,” the girls sang together. “BTS who? we only know BTR,” Minju said at the end of the song.

 

After a few minutes, Yujin stopped the car by an old and empty school. “Why are we at an abandoned school?” Minju asked. “Stargaze,” Yujin replied. “Here? Are you sure we’ll be able to see stars,” Minju asked. “I think so,” Yujin said. They walked around the school to see if there was an entrance to the rooftop. “Ah-ha! There it is,” Yujin said. They ran to the ladder and started climbing their way up to the roof. Yujin got on the rooftop first and helped Minju get up. 

 

“The city looks amazing from up here,” Minju said admiring the view from the rooftop. “But you look more amazing,” Yujin said while laughing at what she just said. “Thank you, I know,” Minju replied while flipping her hair. Yujin rolled her eyes at the comment while handing Minju a carton of strawberry milk. “Thanks,” Minju replied, taking a sip of the milk. “I wouldn’t expect a place like this to have stars,” Minju said looking at the sky. “I didn’t expect it either,” Yujin replied. “How did you even find this place,” Minju asked. “The basketball team would always come and use the basketball court,” “It may look old and creepy, but there are people that come and take care of this place because there is a history behind this school,” Yujin explained. “It doesn’t feel creepy at all. It seems like a cool place where people can come and hang out,” Minju said. “People do come here every day and hang out during the day lots of kids will come here and play on the playground,” Yujin replied. 

 

It was getting late so the girls were getting ready to leave. When they got down the ladder Yujin pulled a red spray paint can out of her backpack and painted a big heart on the wall. “Vandalizing is a crime,” Minju whispered. “I’m not vandalizing. I am just spicing up this place,” Yujin said while putting the cap back onto the can. “Who’s over here,” a voice said coming closer to where Yujin and Minju are. Yujin quickly threw the spray can away trying to divert the attention. After that, she grabbed Minju’s hand and started running to their car. 

 

They hopped into the car and Yujin quickly started the engine and drove away from the school. “Was that a ghost,” Minju said, still trying to catch her breath. “It was probably a security guard,” Yujin said, keeping her eyes on the road. “Sometimes there would be a security guard around the school just to make sure there are no troubles,” she added. 

 

“We’re at your place now,” Yujin said, putting the car in park. “Thank you for showing me the stars today,” Minju said, taking off her seatbelt. “I can show you the world,” Yujin sang the popular line from Aladdin. Minju laughed before leaving the car, not forgetting to say good night to the younger girl. “Good night, drive safe,” Minju bided before sneaking back into her house. “Good night,” Yujin replied and made sure Minju went in safely before leaving. 

 

When Minju successfully sneaked into her room she hopped in the shower and took a quick rinse. As she was drying her hair she sent a quick message to Yujin asking if she is already home. A few minutes later she got a text back from Yujin. “Yes, I just got home,” the text reads. Minju read the text and replied with a thumbs up, before sending another text. “Let’s go somewhere fun next week this time I’ll show you something cool,” Minju texted. “I look forward to it,” Yujin replied. 

 

Time flew by fast and a week passed. Minju had already planned out the plans for today so she is just waiting for Yujin. “Boo!,” Yujin yelled, scaring Minju from behind. “Ahh! You scared me,” Minju whined, punching Yujin softly on the arm. Yujin laughed while saying sorry and blocking Minju’s punches. “So what is the plan for today, and why are we meeting up so early, and why did you tell me to bring swim gear, you know I am scared of the water,” Yujin asked. “Well, so I have a gift for you, and we are going to take a road trip to conquer your biggest fears,” Minju said excitedly. Hearing the words “conquer your biggest fears” made Yujin freeze on the spot. Yujin has a huge fear of heights (despite being that tall) and the water (despite her long legs being able to reach any swimming pool). “Come on, relax it’s going to be fun,” Minju comforted. “But let me show you your gift first,” Minju said, covering Yujin’s eyes with her hand. Slowly walking her to another location. “3,2,1,” Minju counted down. “Surprise!,” Minju excitedly said, pulling her hands away from Yujin’s face. “WHAT!” Yujin gasps in shock at what she is seeing. “Do you like it?” Minju asked. “I love it!,” Yujin said, walking around the car admiring it. Yujin couldn’t believe that Minju got her favorite car; the Dodge Challenger Demon. It was a bright red color with shiny blue rims. If Yujin could describe it in one word, it would be “Bad ”. 

 

“Happy early birthday,” Minju yelled, jumping onto Yujin’s back, which shocked the younger girl since she was still in awe. “Thank you, thank you,” Yujin repeatedly said. “You’re welcome. After all, I am the world’s best, best friend, and the prettiest best friend,” Minju said. “So am I the ugly best friend?,” Yujin asked. “Maybe, because I ain’t never seen two pretty best friends, it’s always one of them gotta be ugly,” Minju said. “Whatever,” Yujin said, rolling her eyes. “But enough talking, we should take this bad boy on a ride,” Minju said pointing at the car. “Let’s go,” Yujin said excitedly and both of them went in the car. “So where are we going,” Yujin said while throwing their bags in the back seat. “Here,” Minju replied, showing Yujin her phone. “That’s a 2 and a half-hour drive,” Yujin said shocked. “It will be worth it,” Minju said, putting on her seat belt. “Ok, let’s go,” Yujin said, putting the car’s drive gear on and heading out. 

 

Yujin has been driving for about an hour now and Minju fell asleep not even ten minutes into the car ride. However, time went by fast and soon enough they arrived at their destination. Minju was also awake. Well, to be exact, she woke up when they were near the location. The both of them got out of the car with their sunglasses on their face like they were about to film a beach MV. “I’ve booked us a room before arriving so let’s go put our things down first,” Minju said, and Yujin just nodded and followed Minju. 

 

“This feels so nice,” Yujin said, throwing her bags on the floor and jumping onto the bed. “Let's get ready to head out to the beach,” Minju said, fixing her bags. “I’m scared of the water,” Yujin whined. “Let’s conquer our fears together,” Minju said, trying to cheer Yujin on. Yujin sighed and got up to get ready for the beach. Both of them were wearing matching striped short-sleeved button-up shirts with a white tee underneath. Though, Yujin had a yellow and blue striped shirt while Minju had a black and white one. 

 

“So where are we going,” Yujin said, putting on her sunglasses. “Come with me,” Minju said, pulling Yujin by her arm. They are both now standing near a cliff and Yujin is starting to shake looking down into the ocean. Being scared of both the height of where they are and the body of water underneath. “Loosen up,” Minju said, laughing at the scared puppy. “Let’s jump down together,” Minju said, holding Yujin’s hand. “I think we should go get something to eat first,” Yujin said, trying to run away, but Minju pulled her back. “Come on it’ll be fun,” Minju said, trying to convince Yujin. Yujin knew she couldn’t escape so she as well as Minju took off the button up and placed it on a rock on the side. “5, 4, 3, 2, 1,” Minju counted. “I DID IT!,” Yujin said, slapping the water. “Let’s do it again,” Yujin said, excitedly. Minju was surprised that her best friend wasn’t scared and wanted to do it again. 

 

Yujin isn’t scared of the water or heights anymore; she even laughed at herself for being a scaredy-cat. She even went surfing with Minju and surprisingly she was amazing at it for a beginner, compared to Minju who kept falling off the board. To refuel their energy they had barbeque seafood and their favorite meat, beef near the beach enjoying the view. 

 

Unfortunately though, the day went by like a second, and soon before the girls knew it, the sun was already setting. To end their day off, they walked to the nearest gas station to buy some snacks. They came back to the beach with a bag of snacks watching the sunset. 

 

“Is it bussing Minju?” Yujin asked the older one who was eating an ice cream cone. “It’s bussing,” Minju replied. 

 

“You know, Yujin I am thankful and happy I’ve got the chance to meet you, and have someone like you as my friend,” Minju said.

“I’m really happy too, I am glad I have someone with me and who I can share my happiness with,” Yujin replied. 

  

 

Happiness can not be measured but for Yujin and Minju, happiness is a feeling you feel when you are doing the things you love with the people you love. You can discover happiness in the simplest way like how Minju feels happiness when she sneaks out with Yujin and sees new things. Or how both girls achieve happiness by doing the things they love with the people they love. Maybe the way Yujin overcomes her fears while having fun is the way to balance happiness. Regardless, the meaning of happiness will never change. It is the contentment you have in your life. And we should all appreciate it with the people around us. 

 

“This is just a chapter, I know the story will be written well and can go back and reread all the amazing chapters.” 

“Life is a short time, but with you, it was a fun time.”

 

 

Although happiness can not be measured all I know is that I'm happy when I'm with you