fin.

not alright

 

 

Her day began with the envelope from her parents. People from whom she haven’t heard for almost a year now sent her a letter. No calls, no messages, just an envelope with a single sheet in it.

 

Her exposed skin felt chilly morning air of the dorm room so sharply the moment her eyes skim through the lines. This morning felt especially cold.

 

On her way to today’s university small charity event that she had volunteered to participate in, the usual warmth filled her insides at the sight of her grumpy friend, greeting her with usual displeased grimace. Beaming the most invigorating smile she could and vibrantly waving back, she reached her destination.

 

“I can’t believe you agreed to do this,” With still hints of disbelief in her monotonous voice, Yubin stared sceptically at how Minji was tucking onto herself a small sized banner with a bold text: ‘Free Hugs!’.

 

“As long as I know this will bring some contributions, I’m in. So, everything will be alright,” Showing a thumb up, Minji said with enthusiasm in her voice and finished making sure everything was ready: a set of stuffed toys in a box beside her and she’s ready to give many affection as needed. Though she understood that today was a day off and no one was around the campus as probably preparing for the final exams week, she still hoped to take this challenge and sell off as much as possible. 

 

Parting her arms she turned to her friend who was about to retreat. “Since I’m already starting, do you need a hug?”

 

“I’m gonna come back when you’re done,” Ignoring the offer, Yubin dismissed and left. 

 

At that Minji doesn’t get upset or sulk. The offer was playful and she knew her friend didn’t like unreasonable physical contact that much, so that was alright. 

 

But which wasn’t alright yet inevitable was how her sells escalated in the next hours.

 

Most of people approaching just bought the toys without giving a second thought to the banner hanging on her chest. Just like the girl who seemed to be a foreign exchange student.

 

“Oh, is this a give away?” She asked with caution, seemingly concentrating on her pronunciation.

 

“Good day!” Minji always greets the potential costumers with genuine fondness as if she had been working for quite a time. “Actually, they’re plushies. The money goes into the charity for orphans. Also, I give free hugs for that.”

 

“Oh, I see.” 

 

After some time of contemplation and processing the said words, girl buys five stuffed toys, all of them resembling cats. At that generous move Minji was expecting to give her a hug but she gets stopped by the hand gesture from the girl: “Sorry, I don’t hug strangers.”

 

“It’s okay,” Minji chuckles and proceeds to thank her because of her generous purchase. Of course, it didn’t get without some sweet compliments about her appearance and cat like eyes. At first sight, anyone would think Minji receive many hugs as possible because of her charms but there are also her well-known lame puns and her overhyped demeanour which some may view as annoying. But that’s how she built, always positive and supportive of anything. 

 

The next potential costumers were a loud couple that was passing by. In fact, one of them was Minji’s almost same convivial acquaintances Yoohyeon.  Beside tall girl there was a much shorter girl who was seemingly upset at something. Just the sight of her tiny heated exclaims halted halfway her desire to greet the tall girl. Minji’s hand hung in the air with defeated poor pose. Slowly, she was about to turn her attention at other people when she saw that Yoohyeon actually noticed her yet was visibly lip-syncing apologies for current unavailability. Minji waved her hand in a dismissing gesture that was signalling “It’s alright!”.

 

Not that Minji was expecting some sort of instant demand for hugs from people, but she also didn’t expect this to gain no attention at all. 

 

Well, at least, toys were selling good.

 

The next costumer seemed to be a freshman year student as her gaze was wandering around in genuine curiosity and excitement. Seeing this, Minji explained about the toys with pleasure which got a positive even admirable reaction from the smaller girl. 

 

“My name’s Gahyeon. Should I fill in something for this?” Her lips that had unusual type of shape turned into an “O”. Internally, Minji found this adorable. 

 

“No, please just buy some plushies and receive a free hug,” Minji demonstrated her signature smile. 

 

“Okay.” And when she was done, Minji didn’t even realise how eager she became. Of course, considering this was her current job and she wasn’t succeeding in it for almost three hours now, anyone would become like her. “Also, can you tell me when is the last day for the application for the club memberships?”

 

“Oh, I think it should be today,” The vision of Yubin talking about it suddenly came in her mind. “Yeah, definitely today.”

 

“Really?!” The shock and terrifying realisation painted freshman girl’s expression vividly. “God, then, I gotta go.”

 

“Good luck! I hope you’ll make it!” Minji shouted at the running girl’s back with encouragement.

 

Another long sigh. Only about an hour was left and no hugs still received. And it wasn’t something to be sulky about. Yubin, for example, would be glad and content in her place. But this was Minji’s situation and at the start of the day she was really hoping to brighten up people’s day with little gesture that would sometimes do wonders on mentality. She was really hoping to give support and encouragement as she always wished.

 

She didn’t blame anyone. It was sheer unlucky day which started from that damn letter...

 

“Hey.”

 

A quiet call got Minji from her trance and she looked up with eyes that was quick to switch from sad shades into welcoming and ready ones. Yes, she was still a little upset and down but the sight of the new costumer changed it a bit. Well, just a little bit because the girl before her didn’t seem like someone who would be friendly and, furthermore, agree to free hugs. It was her classmate Siyeon who was as grumpy as Yubin could be. Since the start of the semester they spent some time on the several mutual group projects. Siyeon was of a shy kind that didn’t preferred physical contact unless she really trusts a person. As far as Minji knew her, she definitely wasn’t one of those people who would get a pass on it. So, she wasn’t expecting so much from a new comer.

 

“Yes?” Minji involuntarily let her guards down and next second fixed herself by clearing out. “I mean, good day! Would you like to buy some plushies? Money goes into the charity for orphans. Also, I give free hugs for that!” 

 

“Free hugs, huh?” For a split second Minji thought she was being mocked but even if she was, she tried to stay professional. “How much are those toys?”

 

In the end, Siyeon bought three of them. It looked peculiar in an adorable way how she was holding and then putting those bright coloured stuffed animals into her black backpack. Minji involuntarily adored at that and let her smile play on her lips. When Siyeon looked up with a slight blush, Minji got hold of herself and nodded, ready to bid a farewell.

 

“So?” Siyeon stayed on her place, looking expectedly at her.

 

“So?” Minji couldn’t help repeating with confused expression. 

 

“What about the hug?” With calm yet strained, shy tone Siyeon asked.

 

“Oh, right!” Minji awkwardly chuckled, suddenly feeling hot in her neck and ears. Never judge a book by its cover, huh. “Of course, free hugs always help at anything!”

 

Not giving herself more time to be embarrassed at the phrase she let out, she quickly crossed the distance between them and lounged forward to envelope her in a warm embrace, immediately feeling citrus scent filling her senses. It was just a hug, yet she hoped Siyeon would feel alright and that hug would help her with whatever problems she was facing at the moment. It was just a warm, secure embrace. Yet—

 

Firm arms wrapped her in and Minji inevitably started shaking at the realisation of the reality and how every hardship in her life decided to crush her today. The lines like a persistent curses again appeared in her mind.

 

im sorry, your parents won’t make it together to your graduation...

 

Her even breath hitched high in , while shaking she desperately clung tighter to the warm frame that seemed to not mind being hugged like that. Minji thinks it was her mind moping the gentle caresses on her back. It was calming her and at the same time ripping her mental wounds even more. She sniffed, letting herself to be vulnerable for a second, for just a moment because everything was not alright. It never was, dear lord, she was just pretending all along that it was alright. But it isn’t...

 

Swiftly, so that the hug wouldn’t become the awkward one, Minji pulls away. Wishing Siyeon wouldn’t notice, she quickly wipes away her tears that couldn’t even fall. When she sees rather concerned than curious gaze, she chuckles. “You’re the first person to hug me today.”

 

She hoped it was convincing enough to prevent any questions. But the thing was that her pink violent blush was giving her off without any words of betrayal. Siyeon saw that, she was silently noticing every single tremble and falter in her.

 

“Thanks for the hug,” Minji could swear she saw Siyeon’s smile for the first time because it was unusual yet so bright. She could swore her heart changed its rate a bit at the sight. 

 

“No problem,” Minji laughed, starting to feel more at ease now. “So, see you around?”

 

“See you...” Siyeon trailed off with a manner that’s usual to her. But before she was out of sight completely, she turned around, quickly deciding on something. “Hey, Minji, would you like to hang out sometime?”

 

This was the least thing she expected from Siyeon. Like, how in the world Minji almost weeped on her shoulder seconds ago and now Siyeon was suggesting hanging out together? This had to be a dream...

 

“So?”

 

“Uhh, yeah! Yes, of course, I’d like that...” Minji could feel the heat on her cheeks as she still couldn’t believe the situation. 

 

“Well, then, see you.” Siyeon said with some sort of casual charisma that was another notable thing about her. And Minji was just realising of how many things she actually knew about her classmate.

 

After some time when she was almost done with her volunteering for today, she saw familiar figure strolling towards her, with hands in the pockets and relaxed posture.

 

She thought surprises were over for today but suddenly she was pulled in the brief wholesome hug from Yubin.

 

“Everything went well today?” Yubin asked, settling beside her on the bricks as if nothing happened a second ago. Minji couldn’t help but to smile as she noted mentally that Yubin might give the best hugs.

 

“Actually, it wasn’t in the slightest alright. Everything was so horrible...” Minji wanted to almost cry at those words but instead she chose to laugh, so whole-heartily and so lightly. She could feel how the invisible heavy weight on her shoulders was lift off as if swept away by the wind. “But I guess it’s a part of the life, right?”

 

“I guess so,” Yubin agreed, slightly surprised at the honesty of her friend.