:))

Midnight blues

Chaeyoung sat on her bed with her earphones in, doodling in one of her many notebooks. It was around 12:30am and the only source of light she had was the bedside lamp she had on her nightstand next to her collection of picture frames and vinyls.Her sleeping schedule had become quite hectic with her juggling school work and upcoming exams but, like always, she made time for drawing. It was one of the more relaxing things she enjoys doing.

 

Previously, she had always lived with her parents and her brother in a fairly average house. However, dorm life had been more cramped then she could imagine. Being the quiet person she is, it took Chae a while to get comfortable with her roommates; Mina, Nayeon and Jeongyeon. Nayeon and Jeongyeon (2yeon) have always been at each others throats for as long as the cub could remember -despite being in a relationship. Mina, on the other hand, was always quiet. She -from what Chaeyoung had observed- had a fondness for penguins, ketchup and the sound of lightning.

 

All of a sudden, chae heard a knocking at her door. She peered up from her notebook and paused her music. The knocks were gentle but frantic, elegant and yet so disruptive. She stepped down from her bed and turned the knob on her door. Surprisingly, on the other side of the door was the penguin-looking girl. She stood with puffy eyes and pouted lips holding a penguin plushie. How can someone so elegant look so childish and cute?

“Sorry,” she started,”did i wake you up?”

The cub shook her head and smiled and the older.

“Unnie, why are you awake?”

“I-“ Mina paused to think,”I couldn’t sleep”

Chaeyoung let out a small chuckle,”Come in.”

 

The younger girl grasped Mina’s hand lightly, dragging her into the room and sitting on the bed. She tapped the empty space beside her and the penguin obliged and sat down next to her. 

“Let’s watch a movie” Chaeyoung suggested

Mina’s eyes lit up,”That’s a great idea.”

Opening the cub’s laptop, they scrolled through Netflix trying to find something to watch.

“What about the handmaiden?” Chae asked.

The penguin hummed in approval and started the movie as she nuzzled her plushie.

 

They were laying down next to each other with the laptop resting on one of either’s legs. There position was quite intimate, Chaeyoung had to admit, but it was comfortable. 

 

Both girls sat comfortably in silence as they observed the movie, finding it quite intriguing. That was until a scene came on. Chaeyoung and Mina flushed a bright red, not expecting something so mature to happen let alone between two women. The cub shifted uncomfortably as the quiet sounds of moans polluted the thickening air. Taking a glance at the girl beside her, she could see Mina equally as flushed but watching intently with wide eyes.

 

The penguin had never been one to watch films like this, let alone with another person beside her. She could feel her face heating up as she shuffled on the bed slightly, rubbing her thighs together. Hopefully the younger didn’t notice her expression. It was filled with curiosity,longing and lust. She took a quick glimpse at the cub beside her, noticing her biting her lip and playing with her fingers with a tomato-red face almost as red as her favourite Heinz ketchup. She looked like a strawberry.

 

Not long after, the movie had ended. They sat in an awkward silence as the credits came to an end. Who wouldn’t be awkward after watching a scene with their roommate? Chaeyoung closed the laptop and put it on one of the nearby tables next to the colourful canvasses that could barely be seen in the darkness of the room, the only illumination coming from her bedside lamp.

“Wow,” Mina started,”so many plot twists.”

Chae hummed in agreement,”It really was interesting wasn’t it?”

Mina smiled at the cub,”Thank you for putting up with me even though it’s late.”

“No problem, Mina. In fact, i should be the one thanking you.”

“What for?”

“For accompanying me even if your schedule is twice as chaotic as mine” the cub smiled a smile that reached her eyes, a beautiful, dimpled and bright smile.

Mina could feel her heart flutter at the mere sight of it, she could feel the butterflies in her stomach as Chaeyoung looked at her soulfully and affectionately.

 

Mina snuggled her head into the crook of Chaeyoung’s neck, taking her by surprise. The cub’s heart began to beat out of her chest as she squirmed closer to Mina to make sure she was comfortable in her arms. The older girl s her arms around Chaeyoung’s waist.

“Can i sleep here for tonight?” she asked

The cub laid in silence for a few moments before humming in approval. The older girl smelled like jasmine and lavender, a beautiful bouquet of scents. It made Chae all the more grateful for her presence.

 

Mina felt a pair of soft, plump lips press against her forehead. She smiled at the gesture as her face warmed up in embarrassment. How sweet could this girl get? The penguin could feel her eyelids get heavier, her penguin plushie discarded somewhere on the bed. Slowly, they both drifted off to sleep in each other’s embrace.