Chapter Five

Something Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaebeom slams his head down on the keyboard of his computer because even the throbbing pain that follows on his forehead is sweeter than the on-going writer's block he has been facing for months now.

He has no idea when exactly the problem started but it’s, it’s big and he is helpless. So the last thing he needs right now is a call from Jinyoung. But that’s exactly what’s happening right now. And it’s video call for that matter.

Jaebeom groans but answers anyway.

The image of Park Jinyoung appears on Jaebeom’s phone screen.

"Wow." Jaebeom blurts out as he’s unceremoniously hit with how nice Jinyoung looks.

"What is it?" Jinyoung asks

"You look... Good. Like you took time to prepare for this video call.” It’s Sunday evening but according to the top half of Jinyoung that’s visible to Jaebeom, Jinyoung is clad in an excellent suit like he just returned from a special business meeting- serious yet also laid back in a grey jacket, pure e shirt, no tie. “On the other hand I look like . To be fair I always look like ."

"You look pretty. Always."

Jaebeom huffs out a soft laugh, not because he is you he'd but because he finds Jinyoung kind of amusing.

"Didn't I tell you to text and not call me?"

"I distinctly remember telling you that I'm not good at that."

"So it's your way or the highway huh."

"Don't make people out to be the bad guy whenever they don't do what you want, babe. Those are bad manners and it makes you selfish too."

Jaebeom is not adverse to some education every once in a while, so he doesn't argue of Jinyoung's point. It's not like Jaebeom can construct an argument right now anyway what with his mind going on about Jinyoung calling him babe.

Jinyoung sits back in his seat and throws his left leg over the right, getting comfortable. "So tell me why you look like hell."

"I thought you said I look pretty."

"It just so happens that hell looks pretty on you."

"Nice save." Jaebeom laughingly replies and then he sighs miserably. "You don't want to listen to my problems."

"I asked."

Jaebeom shrugs. "Okay. My creative juices don't seem to be flowing. It's been months now."

"What sort of creations?"

"I make music."

This information sparks Jinyoung's interest. "Is that a hobby or commercial?"

"A bit of both. One foot here, the other one there. Since I have a day time job as well."

A smile slowly spreads across Jinyoung's face as he regards Jaebeom, seeing him in a new light now- as a guy whose artsy creativity has several cool sides.

"Do you know why your music making abilities are on strike?"

"I can't decide between making music full time or focusing on the interior design gig. I'm stressed thinking about that."

"Choose money."

"Excuse me?"

"Well you have to pay the bills, so the logical and sensible choice is to go for the career that gives you better financial stability."

"What about passion?"

"Passion sadly can't afford you designer clothes."

Jaebeom gives Jinyoung a dirty look, and Jinyoung shrugs unapologetically, continuing to say "I'm a businessman." As if that's all the explanation for his crassness.

"So it's all about money for you." Jaebeom states, slowly nodding his head as he lets that sink in.

"I like comfort more than getting a rush from doing something I'm passionate about."

"At least you are honest."

Jinyoung stops and sees that Jaebeom isn't impressed at all. "You are disappointed."

"No. You are allowed to be yourself."

Jinyoung doesn't respond immediately, but when he does speak up again, it's with a question that surprises Jaebeom.

"What would your ex say about this?"

"Huh?" Jaebeom splutters, baffled. “What ex?"

"You know which ex."

Jaebeom rolls his eyes. "Youngjae would probably tell me to do what I love."

"Damn it." Jinyoung mutters none too quietly.

Jaebeom grins. "You don't have to compare yourself to Youngjae, Jinyoung."

"I don't? This is your fault."

"How?"

"Youngjae still seems to be so precious to you."

"Of course he is, but not in a romantic way...anymore."

"Can I trust you?"

"Trusting me is your decision to make. I can't just tell you to trust me."

"That makes sense. I learned something today."

"Thanks Youngjae. He taught me that."

Jinyoung hisses, reprimanding. "Now you are just trying to piss me off."

Laughing, "I am." Jaebeom admits

"A soft smile touches Jinyoung's lips while he's staring at an amused Jaebeom. "At least you are laughing."

"Yeah." Jaebeom also happens to realise that he has laughed quite a bit while talking to Jinyoung these few minutes. Jinyoung is being the necessary good cheer and distraction that Jaebeom needs right now.

"It's never wise to commercialise a beloved hobby. That's puts on the pressure on it and takes away all the fun. Instead of listening to Youngjae, listen to me now because I'm the man that's going to marry you."

Jaebeom guffaws, a noise that Jinyoung finds so endearing.

“I like it.” Jinyoung says

“What?”

“This soft side of you.”

***************

It’s fruit, chocolates and wine tonight, hyung. Hurry home. I already invited Jackson hyung and Mark hyung to join us. Park Jinyoung sent more of this stuff by the way

And some really good cheese. It tastes expensive.

Jaebeom finishes reading the text from Youngjae and tosses his phone aside, making an annoyed sound with his mouth as he does so.  

“Problem?” His mum asks. Jaebeom is visiting his parents for a quiet Sunday afternoon lunch together at their house. Jaebeom’s dad recently re-did the landscaping in the backyard near the garden to fit a nice table and seats for outdoor meals and a swing for some relaxation. 

Jaebeom loves it out here. The place reminds him of his grandparents’ house from back when he used to visit as a child. 

All three of them are standing around the kitchen Island making sandwiches and other snacks for their lunch. 

“It’s nothing.” Jaebeom dismisses his mum’s question

“You seem irritated.” His dad points out.

For as long as he can remember, Jaebeom has relied on his parents for not only just financial support but emotional support as well. Being an only child, he felt a little lonely growing up so his parents encouraged him to talk to them more so that he doesn’t feel so alone. In this way, Jaebeom is very comfortable talking to them about a lot of things concerning life, work and even love.

So he has no reason not to talk about Park Jinyoung with them. “I met someone and he likes me but I don’t feel the same way.”

Jaebeom’s parents exchange a glance and look back at him then his mother puts her wine glass down and asks him, “Well this is exciting. What’s his name?”she mum smiles eagerly

“Park Jinyoung.”

 “How did you two meet?”

“He owns the café my team and I are revamping.”

“So what’s wrong with him?”

“He’s not my type.”

“Then tell him that and move on.”

“I have. He won’t listen.”

Jaebeom’s dad looks alarmed all of a sudden. “He is not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter