4 - Day 1 in Paris [FB]

Lotto Unbroken

If you havent seen, i accidentally uploaded the same chapter twice for chapter 3. I have now fixed it, so make sure you read 3 before you read this one.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Flashback – Day 1 in Paris

 

               You hadn’t ever actually considered that it snowed in Paris. It was December, of course it snowed. But you’d always imagined Paris as the stereotypical summer day with women in skirts sipping lattes at cute little cafes, that was the Paris you’d imagined you’d be landing in. But the Paris you had was so much better than that. This Paris was the cover of a Christmas card, with a light dusting of snow coating the world.

               Your taxi dropped you off at your Airbnb, a studio apartment on the top floor of a gorgeous old building. You’d splurged on it, but you only had five days there, so why not. As you dropped your luggage by the door you drifted over to the window, where you could see the Seine frozen but barely so. Beyond it, a glittering Eiffel Tower stood like something out of a snow globe.

               It was only 3pm, there was plenty of time to see Paris. Dropping your clothes you stepped into the glass shower, letting the hot water soak away the grime and hours of being on a plane. You helped yourself to the purple shampoo and conditioner, humming as the scent of lavender soothed your cramped muscles. After too long, you stepped out, wrapping yourself in a fluffy dressing gown that had been left there for you, along with a box of chocolates next to the sink.

               “Don’t mind if I do.” You smiled, helping yourself to one. It had some kind of raspberry filling inside, so decadent that you knew just what would go perfect with it, the rest of your white wine from the plane. So it was with chocolate and wine that you began drying your hair. Maybe you should just stay in tonight? Rest up, get used to the time change? You padded over to the window again, running your comb through your hair, admiring the view before turning back to the apartment.

               It wasn’t massive, but it was fairly large. The kitchen, dining area, and lounging area were one open space. One wall was dominated by the large window with the view you so admired. There was the bathroom, and now you walked over to inspect the bedroom.

               Oh yes.

               The bed had that old wrought iron headboard look going on, all vintage and classic and gorgeous. You had to resist flopping yourself down on it, instead dragging your suitcase over and hauling it on the bed instead. It was so heavy, what on earth had Hei-Ran and Yun-Hee packed for you? You dreaded to think… but it needed doing.

               You opened the zip, seeing a lightly crumpled piece of paper folded on top of your clothes.

              

               Eunji

               Don’t miss us too much! Like you will, you’ll be too busy finding a Parisian boytoy! (you better have at least one, we want to hear all about it.) 

Just don’t forget to enjoy yourself over there!

Make sure to bring us presents for being such good friends!

Hei-Ran and Yun-Hee <3

P.s. we hope you like what we packed you! Only the most fashionable for Paris :)

 

Oh no. What had they packed? Putting the letter aside you began pulling clothes out one by one. Dresses, flowing skirts, stockings with lace tops, black heeled boots. 

And lingerie, lots of lingerie.

“I’m only here for five days,” you muttered, “what do they think I’ll be doing?” You piled it all in the drawer of the wardrobe, moving next to hang all of your actual clothes, going to shove the ones you’d worn today in the washing machine you found in the kitchen. You had to admit, your friends had more style than you could ever hope to have.

“Where did they even get all of these clothes?” You murmured, not recognising the majority of it. Had they switched your suitcase in the morning while you were still sleeping? You did all have the same luggage, you’d bought them together when they were on sale. You’d have to thank them.

You looked outside again, seeing that it was darker than before, streetlamps were starting to light giving the city an ethereal kind of glow. Yes. You needed to go out.

Going back to your wardrobe, you pulled a pair of stockings (because you realised there was not a single pair of pants in the whole suitcase). You felt like a whole other person as you pulled on a matching set of pale lilac lingerie, like a person who actually lived in this gorgeous apartment, overlooking one of the most well-known monuments in the world. You put a simple black dress over that, with long sleeves and a skirt that flowed around your knees, and the boots as a final touch. You turned to look in the floor length mirror. You admired the look, it was classic, effortless, like something Audrey Hepburn would have worn.

Digging around the suitcase you pulled out your makeup bag, sweeping light shadow over your lids and going for a darker plum lipstick. It was a look too bold for your life in Korea, but nothing was too bold for Paris. You grinned and blew a kiss at yourself in the mirror. This might be a look you’d have to bring home with you. You wondered if Hei-Ran and Yun-Hee would let you keep the clothes.

Lastly, you shrugged your coat over your shoulders and zipped it up. Honestly, it ruined the whole look, it was a coat for with jeans and running shoes, not a dress and boots. But it was the only coat you had so it was going to have to do.

Grabbing the black purse they had packed for you, you put your phone in it and jot out the door, making sure it locked behind you. You felt a grin puling at your lips, feeling powerful as your heels clicked on the beautiful stone stairs that led to the tall open entryway. You were in Paris! You were actually here!

Outside, you were one of many strolling the streets, one of many looking around at the world around you. You were one of the only ones walking by yourself, but you shoved that thought aside. This was Paris. You followed smells of bread and coffee, hot chocolate and cinnamon. It led you through streets and over cobblestones until you found a wide area lined with stalls and tables. A market! You smiled at the happy atmosphere around you, wandering through the crowds of people to get to the edge of it all. You held out a pile of coins in your palm to someone at a stand with croissants, and they laughed as they plucked a few of them, passing you a warm croissant in a cloth napkin.

You moaned as you bit into it, your first taste of France was not disappointing.

You walked a little further, stopping at a stall to admire a simple silver thumb ring. You’d always liked the look of thumb rings, they always seemed fierce and dangerous, but you never thought you could pull one off. Perhaps in Paris you could?

You continued meandering, contemplating going back for the ring, when you heard a woman’s voice calling out.

You looked to the side, seeing an older woman with silver hair beckoning to you. A burgundy shawl was draped over her shoulders, embroidered with intricate designs and colourful flowers. She smiled at you, crows feet at her eyes, she beckoned again.

You pointed at yourself, looking around, but she only laughed.

“Yes, you dear.” Her English was heavily accented, but you understood well enough. “You are looking for something.”

“Me? No, no I’m just… looking, around. Not for anything in particular.”

She smiled softly, “that is not what your heart says.” She stepped aside, revealing two stools and a small fire in a bucket burning beside them. “Come.”

Curious, you stepped past her table and settled on one of the stools as she settled on the other.

“Let me see your hand.” She said, her voice a hushed whisper, the rest of Paris drowned out in the background. You raised your palm, feeling strangely vulnerable as she ran her fingers over it. She was silent for long moments, her eyes closed as she traced every line of your palm, feeling the lengths of your fingers, pressing down on the pads at the base of them.

“You are fighting many battles.” She said, finally, opening her eyes to look at you. They were kind eyes, gentle, like what you’d imagined a grandmothers would be. The little fire beside you cast her face in a warm glow, and you felt at ease once again. “You have been confronted with a great enemy who threatened who you are, and it still hangs over you.”

Mr. Im. Your breath shallowed.

“What else?” You breathed, leaning closer to look at your palm, as if you would be able to read whatever she was seeing there.

“There is a great conflict approaching, you feel it, you are bracing yourself already. You are tense, but do not be afraid, you are ready.”

The baby.

You held your breath, looking at her. She smiled then, “you are eager for something, and I can see why.” She traced a finger across your palm, “there is a great love here. A love that has changed you, a love that will define you both.”

“But he’s gone.” You said immediately, “he’s gone.”

“Fear not, young one.” She clasped your hand in hers, “a love like this is strong. He will return to you.”

She raised a hand, brushing it along your cheek to wipe the tear you didn’t realise had fallen. “He will return to you.”

 

You walked the rest of the market in a daze, the woman’s eyes lingering with you, ancient with wisdom, with the things she had seen. You were usually skeptical about these things but you were so ready to believe her, so desperate to believe her. The bustle of the market that had once been cheerful and lively was now a roar like the ocean but it was like you were separated by a fog. Caught up in memories, caught up in the feel of his arms around you, you were seeing his playful eyes on every face you looked at, the curl of his lip in every laugh.

You walked down a darker alley, just to get away from the noise, from the faces that you had to convince weren’t him.

He will return to you.

You leaned against the wall in the dark, closing your eyes and just listening to your breathing, to the sounds of the city around you.

To the sound of footsteps approaching.

Your eyes snapped open. What were you thinking wandering down dark alleys in a foreign city? Foolish tourist 101.

You looked around you, but the way was dark to continue, you could only go back the way you’d come. But then there was a silhouette there, a body striding towards you.

You pressed further into the wall, hand grasping for anything that could help you, fingers clasping on something round and metal… you turned the door handle and darted inside. It was dark but your eyes were somewhat adjusted, it seemed to be some kind of old storeroom, but you weren’t looking around as you darted behind a rack of velvet and ruffles, holding your breath as your strained your ears, heart thudding.

A creak echoed through the dim, followed by a dull thud of the door closing.

He’s in here with me.

You looked around you, looking for anything you could use as a weapon but there was nothing. There was some kind of pipe a few feet away but you’d have to leave your hiding spot to reach it.

His footsteps were quiet, barely audible. You held your breath, pressing your lips together to quiet your breathing. The door wasn’t too far from where you were, if you ran you could make it.

You jumped as a crash rang out from that side of you, the side where the door was. Taking a chance you darted the other way, grabbing the pipe as your skittered over to a desk, hiding underneath it. The metal pipe was clammy between your fingers, but cold against your forehead as your leaned against it.

Breathe. Breathe. Calm down. Listen.

Your breaths slowed as you closed your eyes, listening in the darkness

You couldn’t be murdered, you still had to buy presents for Hei-Ran and Yun-Hee.

You gripped the pipe harder. Listening.

There was nothing. No sound but your own frantic heart.

Nothing.

Silence.

“WAHHHH!”

The dark shape swooped down on you, arms raised, yelling.

You screamed, swinging the pipe as hard as you could, feeling it connect with a heavy thud. The man startled, pulling back for a fraction of a second and you bolted, scrambling out from the desk and running. You didn’t remember where the door was but you didn’t care, you just had to run.

You heard laughter behind you.

“Wait!”

You kept running.

“Eunji!”   

You paused. Heart thrumming.

You knew that voice. You knew that laugh.

No.

It couldn’t be…

No.

Her voice seemed to echo through your mind.

He will return to you.   

 

 

_________________________________

Guess who’s baaack!