Chapter 1

why i love the moon

o n e .

Soojung did not want to go out tonight. She just finished a photoshoot not too long ago and was on her way home. Tomorrow, she’ll have to fly out to Italy for another editorial. She didn’t think going out would be the best idea, and all she wanted to do was snuggle into bed and finish reading her book.

 

But who could say no to Jinri.

 

Besides, Soojung had missed Jinri dearly. The last time they had seen each other was several months ago. They’ve both been busy with their own lives, Jinri especially. There are times when Soojung had wanted to reach out to her old friend, but didn’t know if it would be overstepping her boundaries. After all, Jinri said she wanted to “find herself,” and she doesn’t really know if that process really includes her in it.

 

“What should I wear,” she asks Jinri.

 

“Why do you bother asking me if you’ll end up doing what you want anyways?”

 

She chuckles and probably thinks it’s true. After sifting through Jinri’s colorful closet, Soojung just opted to stay in her outfit. It was a little drab, but she’d rather be comfortable in white than self conscious in pink.

 

_

 

It was another Friday night for Dean. The boys called and told him he should come out to chill. He had been cooped up in the studio for days, eating once daily and going through more pages in his notebook than he expected. He didn’t think he would come up with anything new the longer he stayed, so he left and now he’s at an art gallery.

 

One of Hyoseob’s friend was having a private exhibit of his work before it was open next week to the public. It was a digital art showing where the lights were dimmed and media was projected widely into the space. With a DJ playing music in the background, it seemed more like an illustrative club than an art exhibit.

 

It turns out, Hyoseob purposely invited Dean since a certain someone was also going to be attending the event. After arriving, he immediately pulled Dean over to the lobby and introduced him to Kim June-one, one-half of the band Glen Check. Dean’s eyes widened as they shook hands and exchanged greetings. June was extremely easy to converse with, and they shared some small talk about beats.

 

“I’ll grab you a drink, be right back.”

 

Dean headed to the bar and grabbed a drink for the both of them. Usually, conversations are easier to make when there’s a drink in hand. When he made his way back, he noticed that the spot he once occupied was taken by a girl. Thinking he shouldn’t interrupt their conversation, he was about to turn back when June made eye contact with him and ushered him to come over anyways.

 

“He must not be interested in her,” Dean mused with a slight smile and made his way over. He handed June his beer before directing his attention to the individual across from him. He hoped his face didn’t betray him compared to how shocked he was internally feeling.

 

In front of him stood Krystal Jung.

 

He wondered why he didn’t notice her sooner. She stood out in her plain white shirt and Converses. On the other hand, her makeup contrasted her outfit with startling red lips and dark lids. Her hair tousled perfectly over her shoulders, and he wonders if she always looked this put together.

 

“Krystal. Dean.” June introduced them. Dean hesitated to stick out his hand, but felt like it might seem impolite otherwise. When he did, he noticed the small second of hesitation in her eyes before reaching out to shake his hand.

 

“Krystal and I are actually working on a project together. It should be released within the coming weeks,” June announced.

 

“How can you say that when I haven’t even sent over the lyrics yet. Truthfully, I’m having a hard time with it.”

 

“I think every song-writer feels that way,” Dean says with experience. “You should find yourself a muse.”

 

“Can’t I be my own muse,” she asks as she tilts in her head to the side. June chuckles and Dean knows that he’s probably enjoying her charm as well. The conversation didn’t last that long as several minutes later, she excused herself since she came with someone else to the event.

 

Dean thinks it must be the drink in his hand that convinced himself to say, “nice to meet you” to her. She briefly glances over to him, and instead of looking away, he held her stare.

 

“You too. See you later oppa.” Within a blink of an eye, she disappeared into the crowd.

 

June glanced at him with a small smile and Dean spoke up before he could say anything.

 

“She’s not my type.”

 

“Krystal is everyone’s type,” he says with a grin as they clinked their beer.