i don't like anticipating my face in a red flush

gold rush

"We have a new student," Haseul's teacher said, opening the door, "Everyone, say hi to Kahei."

Haseul rolled her eyes, not bothering to look. Everybody was raving about the new kid, yet Haseul bet there was nothing ever remotely interesting about her, yet the new girl hogged all the attention- something about her being a model before moving to the US.

"Excuse me, can I sit here?" She heard a soft voice ask her. Her head shot up, and she marveled at the sight before her- it was Kahei, pointing at the available seat next to her. Her pink hair was in a ponytail, her blue school uniform creating a neat contrast with her complexion.

Haseul gulped. Maybe there was something about the new kid.

Haseul stared at Kahei, her heart rate instantly picking up. Her hand rose up to her cheek, as go make sure the heat radiating from her cheeks couldn't be felt by anyone but her.

"Y-yeah, of course, i mean- the seat is empty so," she stammered, berating herself for being so flustered by the other girl's presence. Kahei didn't seem to take notice- or if she did, she didn't comment on it- and pulled back the chair next to Haseul, before sitting down on it.

"My name is Kahei, by the way," she said, extending out her hand, waiting for Haseul to reach out. Haseul stared at her hand, not moving, before realizing what was expected of her.

"Haseul," she said, shaking Kahei's hand, "I can show you around if you want."

“Oh it's fine,” Kahei began, “Someone else already showed me around.”

“Oh, okay,” she said, trying not to let her disappointment show.

“But thanks for volunteering,” she beamed at Haseul, “Her name was Jinsol. She's really nice.”

“Yeah, I know her,” Haseul answered. She now understood why Jinsol had been gushing about Kahei on the way to school that same morning.

“I know, she talked a lot about you,” Kahei answered. Before Haseul could say anything, she continued, “Don”t worry,” she chuckled, “She only said good things.”

Haseul was instantly relieved, “Oof, I never know what to expect from her,” she joked.

**
That day, at lunch, Haseul was oddly quiet.

“What's wrong with her?” Hyunjin asked, gently poking her.

“I don't know,” Sooyoung answered, “Perhaps she's sick.”
“Or maybe she went mute,” Yeojin piped in.

“Are you even listening to us?” Hyunjin poked her again, but harder. Haseul was abruptly pulled out of her daydream.

“What?” She snapped.

“What were you thinking about?” Hyunjin asked.

“Or rather, who,” Jiwoo added, wiggling her eyebrows, “I saw you and Kahei during math class. Looks like someone has a crush.”

“Pfft, not true,” Haseul said unconvincingly, knowing she was already whipped for the other girl, “Not at all.”