Ch 2

(I'll try) to hold you

It’s been a few weeks, and Tzuyu’s more than relieved when Jihyo starts coming to school without a huge bandage on her cheek anymore. Unfortunately, however, Tzuyu hasn’t made a ton of progress with her plans mostly due to Jihyo’s hectic schedule. It doesn’t help that Jihyo’s both a senior and the student council president, either.

 

But that doesn’t mean she hasn’t tried. 

 

When Chou Tzuyu makes a plan, she sticks to it no matter what. With that thought in mind, she brilliantly decided to slip in little post-it notes into Jihyo’s locker every morning. Just so her unnie feels motivated before starting her day... Because that definitely counts as affection too, right? But because Jihyo comes to school so early, Tzuyu’s made it a point to come in even earlier so the senior doesn’t catch her doing so. 

 

It’s a bit too late when the Tzuyu realizes that it’s counterproductive to hide the fact that she’s been the one leaving notes in Jihyo’s locker, when in the first place she wants her unnie to notice that she can show her affection more than just once in a year. 

 

The younger girl thinks that it would be embarrassing at this point to tell her unnie. Especially not when she overheard Sana teasing Jihyo about her new ‘secret admirer’ when she spotted the post-it note in Jihyo’s hands the other day.

 

Her notes aren’t even that romantic, Tzuyu thinks. How could Sana be so ridiculous about it?

 

Rolling her eyes, she tries to stand a bit closer to Jihyo, feeling a bit self conscious to be on stage with the rest of the student body’s eyes on them. Tzuyu still doesn’t get why she, with the rest of the basketball team, has to stand awkwardly on stage as Jihyo announces their participation for another competition. It’s not like they’ve won yet or anything, anyway.

 

When Jihyo’s finished with her announcement and steps off of the podium, Tzuyu tries to hide her amusement as the senior’s height suddenly drops. They no longer stand at around the same height. Jihyo catches Tzuyu hiding a snicker and lightly elbows the younger girl as the principal suddenly comes on stage but doesn’t dismiss her and the team. The students that remain on stage remain awkwardly standing together as the principal rambles on about the basketball team being the pride of their school among other things.

 

Bored, Tzuyu looks over her teammates to her left, and then to Jihyo standing on her right. Her unnie stands much shorter than everyone else on stage to absolutely no one’s surprise. Their basketball team consists of people with monstrous heights-- Tzuyu included. It doesn’t help that their also tall principal stands on a podium, sending her a few inches taller too.

 

Frowning, the junior wonders if Jihyo ever feels a bit self conscious about it, especially since everyone’s practically looming over her. Without much forethought, Tzuyu bends her knees to try to match Jihyo’s height. When she finally feels like she’s reached her unnie, she huffs, content with her work as she stays in position. The rest of the students in the assembly fail to notice Tzuyu’s slight struggle to stay shorter, too tired to care.

 

“Yah, what are you doing?” Jihyo asks, trying not to be heard while their principal goes on.

 

“Matching your height,” Tzuyu starts absentmindedly, still staring right at Jihyo, “You looked a bit lonely down there,” She says a bit too bluntly.

 

“Okay, rude,” Jihyo huffs, pouting. Rolling her eyes, the senior suddenly rests her head on Tzuyu’s now that it’s in her reach.

 

Tzuyu’s eyes widen when she realizes she must’ve sounded like an , shooting back up to her full height and jostling Jihyo off of her.

 

“Oh, I didn’t mean it like--”

 

“And that would be all for today’s announcements! Jihyo-ssi and the basketball team, you may now step out of the stage. Everyone, please form orderly lines and go back to your respective classrooms for the day,” Their principal announces, drowning out the rest of Tzuyu’s words.

 

Tzuyu loses her opportunity to make amends when Jihyo suddenly rushes towards her homeroom teacher. The junior also realizes, in the midst of her overthinking, that she might’ve hurt Jihyo with her sudden movement from earlier.

 

..

.

 

When Tzuyu’s busy smacking her face into the desk before their first class starts, her best friend Chaeyoung doesn’t question it.

 


 

It’s usual for Jihyo to be in school before everyone else. She is the student council president after all, and she loves to take advantage of the quiet mornings to gather her bearings before starting her day. It’s also usual for her to open her locker before starting her day so that she can grab the stuff she might need before heading off to do her usual morning routine checks around the campus. 

 

What’s unusual, however, is the small, dog-shaped note clumsily sitting atop her books.

 

Curious, Jihyo takes the small paper and tries her best to read the words written on the note. 

 

‘Do your best today, unnie. But please don’t overdo it, you deserve a good break too. Fighting!’ Jihyo manages to read.

 

It’s not that the handwriting is bad per se, it’s just a little shaky at some parts. Like the writer isn’t entirely sure or is much too conscious about how they write to get the down smoothly.

 

Either way, it brings a small smile to Jihyo’s face as she thanks whoever was thoughtful enough to slip this into her locker. 

 

Jihyo starts the day with a little more pep in her step.

 


 

The little notes continue every day.

 

Not that Jihyo’s complaining. The student council president enjoys the little notes, ignoring Sana and Nayeon’s teasing that she has a secret admirer. The messages never seem to hint at anything romantic at all anyway, they just seem to be genuine messages hoping that Jihyo has a good day or is doing well. (Except for a select few notes that she’s kept to herself, but Nayeon and Sana don’t need to know that.) Her friends obviously think otherwise, as they waggle their eyebrows annoyingly whenever they see a new note in Jihyo’s hands.

 

But that doesn’t mean Jihyo isn’t curious as to who’s behind all of this. She even catches herself trying to take a guess at who it could be in the middle of class. Not that Jihyo’s expecting anything at the end of all of this, but she wonders how long this will go on until whoever’s behind the notes will reveal herself. 

 

If she will ever reveal herself, that is.

 

Jihyo’s only sure that the sender is a girl and an underclassman since she’s called her unnie in her messages. Could it be someone who wants to be friends with her, or is it already someone she knows? There are so many possibilities, and Jihyo isn’t exactly sure where to begin.

 

She ignores her little curiosity for the time being to focus on her schoolwork.

 

Jihyo has a feeling that she’ll find out the truth eventually, anyway.