Episode 3

Oh, My Teacher!

Yoo Jung woke to Jayu’s warm, slimy tongue her cheek. She giggled, pulling Jayu in for a cuddle. Her phone rang a bell and she noticed it was a text message alert from  Xu Kai. 

 

Xu Kai: Don’t freak out, I got your number from Leena. 

 

. . . 

 

Xu Kai: Come out with Jayu. I’ll be by the foyer. 

 

Yoo Jung jolted up and quickly got dressed. For a moment she hesitated. Looking through her clothes, she realized she didn’t bring anything nice...she didn’t bring anything pretty. Yoo Jung quickly shook her head and patted her cheeks, “Yoo Jung! Quit it! He’s not into you!” she redirected herself. Yoo Jung threw on her ripped, denim jeans and a pastel-purple hooded sweatshirt. She tied her wavy, brown hair into a ponytail and guided it through her white cap. Yoo Jung held Jayu in her arms and quickly jogged downstairs. She saw Xu Kai below the steps, with his back facing her. His hands were in his pockets and he was rocking back and forth between his heels and toes waiting for her. When he turned, he gave her a light smile. Yoo Jung liked the green crewneck sweater on him. The green matched his eyes. Xu Kai tilted his head toward the entryway, “I have something to show you...well, more like to show Jayu.” When they reached the car, Xu Kai opened the back trunk. There was a dog bed pillow, brightly-colored chew toys, blankets, bowls, and snacks for Jayu. 

“I went to a convenience store near the campsite this  morning and found some essentials for Jayu.” he said, waving a small chew toy in front of Jayu. She perked up and wagged her tail. Yoo Jung laughed, “I think she really likes it!” 

The two brought the things up to Yoo Jung’s room and spent the morning playing with Jayu together. Seung Hyung came down from his room and stood by the two, admiring how well they were getting along, “Oh, Xu Xu!” he said merrily. 

“Ok, Dad.” Xu Kai rolled his eyes. Yoo Jung laughed, “You should be proud of your son, Mr. Song. He was very brave last night.” she said, gazing at Xu Kai admirably. 

“I am.” Seung Hyun said, “And, you sounded like a teacher just now!” he complimented, “say, what if I try to get you a teaching position at Xu Kai’s school-” 

“No!” Xu Kai interrupted, glancing back at Yoo Jung, “That would just be so…” 

“Weird.” Yoo Jung finished awkwardly, “I mean, not that your son is weird, it’ll just feel strange because…” Yoo Jung felt embarrassed, especially since she thought about wanting to look pretty for Xu Kai this morning and how much she loved the green on him. All of these thoughts would be absolutely inappropriate if he was her student. Yoo Jung was breathless and immediately shook those thoughts away. 

“Are you ok, Ms. Kim?” Seung Hyung asked, patting her shoulder, “I was only teasing, I know Xu Kai would be a tough student to handle!” he joked, “Anyway, I came down here to tell you something.” he glanced over at Xu Kai, “I spoke to Xu Kai about this already, but, I want to propose to Leena. And… I would like your help.” 

Yoo Jung’s eyes instantly filled with tears. 

“Oh! Ms. Kim, are you ok?” Seung Hyung felt nervous, “Are you sad about this?” 

“No! No! I’m so so happy, Mr. Song. You and Leena are just so perfect together.” she grinned, “I already know that Leena will say yes!” 

Seung Hyung chuckled, “Thank you Ms. Kim. She means a lot to me and I’m nervous, but I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with her.” 

“It’ll be good, Dad. It will.” Xu Kai assured. 

 

 

Leena called for Yoo Jung’s name. She walked through the woods and called again. She tucked her sleek, black hair behind her ears; feeling lost and weary that it was now dusk, she looked down at her phone for help. Suddenly, string lights that were hanging above her . This startled Leena, but a smile came across her face. She received a text message from Seung Hyung directing her to follow the lights. More lights came on, leading her way. Leena followed the lights as it came on. She walked out of the forest and toward the white gazebo where Seung Hyun was standing in the center. More lights that were strung around the gazebo , glowing and twinkling in the night. Xu Kai took out his guitar and began picking a romantic tune while Yoo Jung snapped pictures of the scene. Before long, Yoo Jung saw Seung Hyun go on one knee and in matters of seconds, Leena was nodding excitedly. The two embraced and all of the Song Law Firm employees appeared from the oak mansion and cheered for the new couple. Yoo Jung wiped away her joyful tears and ran to her best friend-sister forever. They both squealed with exhilaration and hugged each other tightly. Xu Kai gave his Dad a hug and whispered his congratulations, then he went over to Leena and said, “welcome to the family.” 

She hugged him, “thank you!” 

Xu Kai was about to give Yoo Jung a hug too, but the two stopped at their tracks. 

“Welcome to the family, too.” Xu Kai said quickly. 

“Thank you.” Yoo Jung replied. 

 

 

The rest of the evening was filled with food, wine, and laughter. Everyone happily celebrated Leena and Seung Hyun in the oak mansion’s largest conference room. Eventually, it was almost midnight when everyone decided it was time to call it a night. Leena kissed Seung Hyun goodnight and the two departed into their private rooms. Meanwhile, Yoo Jung went outside, so Jayu could relieve herself. Xu Kai followed her and leaned against the oak walls,    “How did you know Leena?” he questioned. Yoo Jung jumped, “Oh goodness! Seriously?” 

“Sorry.” he replied, “I didn’t mean to scare you.” 

Yoo Jung picked Jayu up, “We’re not real sisters so don’t worry about being related to someone like me.” You Jung answered. 

“Wait- that’s not what I meant. I’m truly just curious how you two know each other. You have a big age difference and Leena only went to school for two years before dropping out so there’s no way you two would’ve known each other during school because you also didn’t go to the same school-”

“Wait- How did you know that?” 

“I saw both your resumes at the Law Firm…” 

Yoo Jung let out a harsh breath, “Really?” 

“Hey, my Dad makes me do HR stuff, and plus, if we are going to be a family, there’s no need to be hiding something like this.” 

Yoo Jung looked at the ground and then spoke softly, “I was adopted by Leena’s family… Her parents were my foster parents and then they adopted me when I was 14.” 

Xu Kai was taken off guard, he didn’t think that would be her answer. He thought of something like, they met through mutual friends, or their parents knew each other. Xu Kai felt horrible for asking.

“Please don’t pity me.” Yoo Jung said, “It’s so long ago, so it’s no big deal anymore.” 

“It is. It is a big deal. Not that it’s a problem, but that it’s a big deal in your life. And it should be a big deal to your family… us.” Xu went on, “I’m sorry for prying.” 

“Like you said, we’ll be family soon, so it’s only a matter of time before you learn that about me. Don’t worry though, I won’t be moving in with Leena once she marries Mr. Song. I really want to give her all the space she needs to start a family.” 

Xu Kai crossed his arms, “well, that defeats the purpose of a family. I’m sure my Dad won’t mind you staying with us too-” 

“That won’t be necessary. I don’t want to cause trouble.” Yoo Jung said, walking back in with Jayu. She didn’t want to be a burden, again. Xu Kai followed her inside, “You think you’ll cause trouble?” he hesitated, “My mother left me when I was five. If there was anyone who caused trouble, worse enough for someone to walk out of his life, it’s me.” 

Yoo Jung looked back at him with wide eyes. 

 

“My mom hated that my dad was busy all the time. He would stay out late at his office working on a case and leave my mom alone with me.” Xu Kai explained. The two were sitting in the brightly lit cafeteria which was now empty. They both had cups of tea in their hands while Jayu laid on the table in the middle of them, fast asleep. 

He continued, “He wasn’t a good husband, to be honest. He could be better at spending more time with my mom. She grew so depressed that eventually… she left. I think my Dad really tried to bring her back and change for her. He would buy her flowers, pay for her apartment where she was staying, and visit her often.” 

Yoo Jung can begin to feel the painful part of the story coming. 

“Until he caught her cheating one night and that was the end of it.” Xu Kai couldn’t look up at Yoo Jung, “So if you ever feel like trouble, don’t. I tore apart my parents. I was the trouble.I was the accident.” 

She curled in her lips before mustering the courage to share her trouble, “I was taken away from my mom and step dad. That’s how I ended up in the system.” Yoo Jung nodded to herself, “Things were- they were really bad.” She shook her thoughts away, “I guess we are both trouble.” 

“But, it wasn’t you that caused that trouble. Just like how it wasn’t Jayu who caused that disgusting man to hurt her and the other dogs.” Xu Kai reasoned, “I don’t know what happened, and when you want to, you can tell me. But, for a 14 year old to be taken out of something so serious, how can it be you who was the trouble.” he articulated. Yoo Jung can feel the beat of her heart, she could hear it ring in her ears. She felt warm and nervous suddenly, unsure how to take in Xu Kai’s encouragement. 

“Now I know why you can relate with Jayu so well...” he caressed Jayu and then stared at Yoo Jung, “you both are free.” 

“I… I supposed so.” Yoo Jung answered and smiled lightly, also caressing Jayu, “Eh! Then you must believe that about yourself too!” she declared hopefully. 

“Hm?” Xu Kai cocked his head. 

“Your parents. How can someone so young be responsible for two adults to split. I say, you’re giving yourself too much credit. Your dad made the decision for himself to stay late at work. Your mom made the decision for herself to leave.” she gazed at him, “you just... got caught in the middle. My pastor always says, ‘there is no such thing as an accidental child, only accidental parents.’ You were not an accident, and you were not the trouble.” 

Xu Kai scoffed in a small chuckle. Yoo Jung always had a way to make him speechless. He nodded in agreement, “That makes sense…” 

The two stayed up the rest of the night sharing stories together. Xu Kai told her about his time in Santa Monica, California, visiting his mom and her new husband. Yoo Jung shared about being the youngest student in her psychology class and how she was never invited to the college parties. Xu Kai couldn’t believe that Yoo Jung can’t swim, and Yoo Jung was surprised that Xu Kai had so many followers on all of his social media. She was practically having tea with a celebrity! They shared their dreams together. Xu Kai confessed how much he admired his Dad and eventually wanted to become a lawyer too. And Yoo Jung admitted that if she could do anything in the world, it was to eat and travel. 

“It’s Leena,” Yoo Jung said when her cellphone rang, interrupting the two’s conversation, “Hello? I’m in the cafeteria with Xu Kai... it’s two am?! Oh Goodness, I lost all track of time! Ok. I’ll be up in a few minutes here.” Yoo Jung hung up the phone, “It’s so late, I can’t believe it.” 

“I’ll walk you to your room.” Xu Kai offered and she agreed. 

When they reached Yoo Jung’s doorway, the pair turned to face each other. And for once in Xu Kai’s life, he felt drawn to somebody. He was helpless to his desire for Yoo Jung, and enchanted by the fullness of herself. If only he could read Yoo Jung’s mind. Did she feel the same way?

Yoo Jung’s palm grew sweaty. Every muscle in her body felt weak. All she wanted was to stay right where she was. Beside Xu Kai, no, in front of him just like this, where she can feel his breath and maybe, if close enough, his heartbeat. 

“Oh!” Xu Kai stepped back and laughed, “Jayu is peeing on me!” he exclaimed, holding Jayu at arms length away. Yoo Jung chuckled, “I’m sorry! Let me take her inside now!” 

Xu Kai handed Jayu to Yoo Jung and the two said their final goodbyes. Upon closing the door behind her, Yoo Jung sunk into complete and utter passion for him. 

Xu Kai looked behind him at Yoo Jung’s door as he slowly walked away. He shook his head and lightly laughed at himself for how foolish he must’ve looked. Xu Kai placed his hand on his chest realizing his limerence for her. 

Smitten, they both crawled into bed, not sure how they would fall asleep, because for the first time, their reality felt better than their dreams.