fin

Sunflower

"Who are you?" Hitomi asked the girl who was standing in front of her door.

 

The girl giggled and placed a tray of food on her side table, "Good morning to you too, Hitoma" She cheerfully greeted her with a huge smile on her face.

 

"What are you doing in my room?" She asked when the girl tried to feed her the food. "Can you please go out?" Hitomi asked.

 

"Aren't you hungry?" The girl asked with concerned looks on her face. "I cooked your favourite," she said.

 

Hitomi looked at her confusingly, a lot of questions came to her mind about the girl sitting on her bed beside her.

 

"I don't even know you how would you know my favourite?" Hitomi asked her.

 

"I'm a psychic and I can read your mind” She joked before showing her the plate full of food. "I know you love eating eggs and youghurt as breakfast?" Hitomi was shocked when the girl guessed her favourite food in the morning.

 

"Wow, daebak, you should teach me your powers," Hitomi said amusingly, the girl grabs the chance to feed Hitomi the food that she made.

 

Hitomi was chewing with joy, but a strand of her hair keeps irritating her eyes. "Come here, I'll brush your hair," Chaewon said, Hitomi nodded and the girl grabs a brush on the drawer and started fixing her messy hair. "Do you have a great sleep last night?" the girl asked, Hitomi, shrugged shoulder as her answer, "Of course you wouldn't know?" the girl said and formed a sad smile on her face.

 

"What's that?" Hitomi asked when the girl gave her a white capsule.

 

"It's my secret, this is the reason why I have my psychic power" The girl winked at her, and without a doubt, Hitomi drank the capsule with water. "Do you want to watch something?" The girl asked and opened the television and change the channel to a kids show.

 

Hitomi sits on her bed while enjoying the show on the screen. While the girl fixed her plates and went outside of Hitomi's room.

 

The girl went straight to the office of Hitomi's doctor. "Ms Kim," Her doctor said. "Take a coat" She said and offered the empty seat in front of her table.

 

"I just came here to ask about her condition?" Ms Kim asked. "I know I'm here on daily basis, but I just want to know if there's an update?" She then again asked.

 

The bob-hair doctor of Hitomi formed a sad smile on her lips after knowing the reason for her visit. "I'm sorry to say that, Hitomi's condition is getting hard to cure each day," The doctor said truthfully. "I'm afraid to let you know again that there is no cure for Alzheimer's disease or a way to stop or slow its progression" Her doctor explained.

 

"So I'll just accept the fact that she can't remember me?" She asked with a cracked voice. "How can I accept that?" She asked and a tear escaped her eyes. The doctor couldn't do anything but to caress her back and comfort her.

 

"I'm sorry, Chaewon-ah," She said.

 

It's been a year since Hitomi was diagnosed with an Alzheimer's Disease, at the age of 23, on her birthday.

 

The first trimester of her diagnosis, she tends to forget basic instructions given to her. That's why Chaewon decided to let Hitomi resigned to her work and let her stay on their house.

 

Then half months passed later, Hitomi began missing each week, she needed someone to look after her to find about her whereabouts when Chaewon went to her work.

 

And lastly, last month ago, before she was confined to the hospital after she accidentally drank a shampoo, she forgot about Chaewon, her wife.

 

Her doctor decided to let her stay in the hospital for a few more weeks, to monitor her status not only on the incident but also with her disease.

 

Chaewon wiped her tears away before entering Hitomi's room. She furrowed her eyebrows when no one was inside her room. Chaewon panicked and scream for help outside, it wasn't the first time that she was missing. But it is her first time missing in the hospital.

 

As she informed the nurses about what happened, Chaewon rushed outside to looked for her wife.

 

She was running out of breath when she stopped at the parking lot of the hospital and saw a tall blonde girl with her hospital gown and walking in with barefoot from not so far away from her.

 

"Where have you been?" Chaewon asked the moment she got closer to Hitomi. "I've been looking for you anywhere"

 

Hitomi smiled at her, "It's you again" she said and giggled remembering she was the girl from her room a while ago before showing a yellow sunflower to Chaewon that she was holding. "I'm giving this to my wife," She said with her big smile on her face. "It's our anniversary" She excitedly announced while looking straight to her eyes.

 

Chaewon felt tears on her eyes because Hitomi remembers their anniversary but not her. Hitomi furrowed and quickly wipes her tears away. "Do you want one too?" She asked. "I could get one for you too," She said, but Chaewon shakes her head.

 

"She will be happy for that" Chaewon said and cupped her face.

 

"You think so? It's her favourite flower" Hitomi said but her smile fades. "Can you give this for me? Maybe she forgot about me since I haven't seen her in a while. Please tell her I love her and don't forget about me" She asked herself, trying to remember her wife whereabouts.

 

Chaewon smiled and hugged Hitomi before accepting her flower. "I will tell her to remember you, always" Chaewon can't stop her tears from falling on her cheeks.

 

Though Hitomi may forgot about Chaewon, she knows she will always have a place on her heart. And that's what matters to her, to keep herself fighting for Hitomi and her disease.