Last

I don't understand but at the same time I do?

Chaewon doesn’t understand. They were never close. They weren’t even considered as friends. They were just acquaintances. Acquaintances who kept bumping into each other. Acquaintances who were there wherever the other went. Neither was it planned nor expected they would look around and would eventually find each other.

They were friends with almost the same people which was why Chaewon knew who Yena was and Yena knew Chaewon. Despite not being considered as “friends”, during movie nights with their friends, they would often say the same things at the same time even during scenes where one would not expect a comment. They would look at each other in disbelief and would continue to laugh really loudly which would always earn a few complaints from their friends.

This was when they started hanging out, with or without their friends. They were horror movie buddies even though they both weren’t so good with horror. The fact that they would randomly make jokes about some scenes would often lighten the mood. There was even casual flirting even during times where one would not expect and times where it makes one cringe.

No one complained so why stop?

Most of the time while they would watch movies alone Yena would often repeat whatever cheesy pick up line was mentioned from the movie just to see Chaewon’s reaction. Yena enjoyed watching Chaewon’s reaction because she often turns red and would eventually malfunction.

They were comfortable with each other’s presence despite all the platonic flirting and random compliments. Too comfortable that Chaewon never noticed that eventually all the flirting that she had done was no longer platonic.

Chaewon was given a dare to confess to her friend who she apparently has been crushing for months and Yena was supportive. A part of Chaewon was disappointed but she didn’t bother to think too much.

Chaewon was supposed to confess to my friend so why did she confess to Yena instead?

It was 12 am they were watching the same movie since it was the same movie that they first watched together. The dare was to confess at exactly 12 am. When Chaewon’s alarm started ringing it meant that it was already 12 am. Glancing at Yena, who seemed to be too busy with the movie eventually noticed that Chaewon was looking at her. Yena asked if Chaewon confessed already and right before Chaewon could tell that she hasn’t confessed yet, however the words that she ended up saying were:

“I like you.”

Chaewon froze when she realized what she had said and her hands felt cold yet they were starting to sweat. Chaewon was nervous and it showed. She was scared to look at Yena so her attention quickly went back to the TV screen and hoping that Yena would pretend that nothing happened.

Instead, Yena started laughing.

“Lmao are you practicing or something?”

Chaewon stayed quiet. She knew what she should do but at the same time she didn’t. She wanted to play it off and agree that this was just practice but it seemed like Yena was worried so she asked something else.

“What time do you plan to tell her though?”

Chaewon had made up her mind was planning on telling Yena that this was just practice but the only thing Chaewon ended up saying was,

“I like you.”

This time Yena was taken aback. Chaewon would do the same too, especially since it hasn’t been that long since they started hanging out.

“Bro? Are you for real? You better not be pranking!”

Yena’s reaction was what made Chaewon think that maybe, just maybe, she had a chance with Yena.

They both weren’t paying much attention to the movie since they were both still processing the confession. Yena had so many questions and Chaewon answered her. Chaewon wasn’t able to answer well since she was still surprised with what she had done.

By the time Chaewon had finished explaining what she could explain she finished it by saying:

“I honestly didn’t think this through.”

She obviously didn’t. Chaewon was supposed to confess to someone else and she ended up confessing to Yena.

“Just… Just reject me. Because I honestly didn’t think this through. I just like how despite your actions or words would sometimes seem questionable or chaotic, they would often brighten my day. My god I know it sounds weird but when we slowly became close it just made me… happy.”

The movie was already at the ending and none of their attention was still focused on the movie. Yena looked puzzled. She clearly didn’t know what to do and Chaewon understands as to why Yena would be puzzled.

“I’ll decide on it.”

“Can we get to know each other more before I answer?”

‘Say no.’

Was what Chaewon’s brain wanted her to do. Her brain wanted her to decline this offer. Her brain wanted her to tell Yena that it was just practice and she just wanted to see how far it would take before Yena would realize that it was practice.

“Yeah we can do that.”

Was what Chaewon said instead. Yena nodded and although there wasn’t left from the movie, they still finished the last few minutes of the movie.

The next few days were just awkward. Chaewon couldn’t talk properly when Yena was around and Chaewon was often flustered. Yena didn’t change at all though. Yena kept being sweet and kept on saying something cheesy. One thing that had changed was the fact that Chaewon could casually tell Yena that she liked her and Yena would often tease Chaewon because she was apparently confident. They even played games together. Whenever Chaewon was sad Yena would often cheer her up by playing games with her, and Chaewon was actually happy.

A few weeks had passed by, nothing changed. In fact, they started talking way less after the first week. It seemed like everything had died down. As if the confession didn’t exist.

Chaewon was tired of this constant push and pull that she started looking for someone else. She had realized that she was out of Yena’s league. Chaewon clearly had zero chances with Yena, and yet she still blindly followed Yena.

Yena never gave Chaewon her answer even though she had once mentioned that she thought of a response to Chaewon’s confession.

She was fed up, she was hurt. That was why Chaewon left before Yena could even give Chaewon her answer.

It was for the better. Chaewon knew the answer already. She knew she shouldn’t have continued this knowing that she would only get hurt.

Despite the memories they’ve made together, there was no hope at all. No matter how much time they’ve given to each other it was never enough to make Yena like her back.

Yena was the reason why Chaewon started looking for someone who reminded her so much of Yena.

And luckily, she found someone.

However deep down she knew this was wrong. She’s using this person as a way for her to forget that she had feelings for Yena. Chaewon forced herself to like this person because this person reminded her of Yena.

Why should Chaewon bother chasing someone who would never spare a glance at her way?

Now Chaewon understands. They were never close. They weren’t even considered as friends. They were just acquaintances. Acquaintances who kept bumping into each other. Acquaintances who were there wherever the other went. Neither was it planned or expected they would look around and would eventually find each other.

It just happens that it was best if they remained as friends.