as sweet as her

we dissolve into the stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer.

Joohyun has always loved summer. She can visit Daegu, her home, be free without counting the mere days left to go back to Seoul. No stress of assignments, tests, projects. No more students treating her like a goddess. No more pretending to be Irene. She can be the Bae Joohyun she loves being. The Joohyun who is loud, the Joohyun who goes to farm with her father, the Joohyun who loves to cook with her mother, the Joohyun who acts like a crazy lady when fooling around with her sister rather than the prim and proper doll, the Joohyun who skipped her extra class to go out and eat tteokbokki, the Joohyun who loves pulling ridiculous pranks.

But Seoul is a different world, she has to be Irene to get along, the one who talks only when necessary, the one who always stays in the library, the silent and mature, the genius Irene who intrigues everyone, not the Joohyun who loves street food, not the Joohyun who is loud when talking about things she loves, not the Joohyun who slipped on a banana peel.

Now traveling to Daegu, her hometown, she feels so much as herself, and at peace.

"GRANDMA!!!"

or not.

"Remind me why I brought you both when all I wanted was to spend my holiday FREELY!"

"Oh, please unnie, you love us both, plus we've been trying to your attention for a while, what's gotten you so lost."

"Nothing Soo."

Joohyun met an odd pair of best friends, who surprisingly became her best friends, her junior, Sooyoung or Joy, as she prefers, and Joy's junior/best friend, Yeri. The duo is the embodiment of chaos, everywhere they go, they bring out chaos, and for the record, Yeri just completed her high school and is waiting for her application to SNU be accepted, that makes Joohyun wonders how these two find time to keep their bond alive. It is also a miracle that Joohyun opened up to them when Sooyoung approached her.

"Unnie, I'm so happy that we could finally see your home where you grew up."

"I hope to see so many ugly baby pictures of you." Yeri chirped in.

"Hey, who told you I have ugly baby pictures."

"You're grumpy 24×7 and you expect us to believe you were cute?"

Yeri gave Sooyoung a high-five for that.

Seriously why she decided to open up to them? Or rather, why she is even taking them to the sole place where she can be free of headaches?

"Ok unnie, enough with teasing her, Joohyun unnie, who all will be there? Can we expect anything interesting?"

"If you are interested in farming, animals, and such, you will gladly be entertained. Oh, and an over friendly, loud Canadian."

Now that is weird, her unnie never said they'll meet a Canadian.

"Canadian?" Sooyoung wondered.

"Yeah, I forgot to mention, my cousin is visiting us for this summer, she couldn't join us due to her schedule."

"She is coming from Canada?!"

"No Sooyoung-ah, she was there till high school, she is now in Seoul, doing Musical from KU."

"But you never mentioned about her, and from Canada?! Wow!!"

"Sooyoung, that's a weird information to brag about."

"But still! It's Canada unnie!"

Joohyun didn't get why Sooyoung is so worked up by this information, even Yeri didn't look that amused, again the little girl is just happy to get a holiday from the hell of an high school before she joins the hell of a college.

_

When the trio reached the station, Joohyun's dad was already waiting for them.

"Appa!" Joohyun ran into her father's awaiting arms, a wide smile splitting her face.

"Hyun-ah!"

"How are you, were you all comfortable traveling?"

"Yes appa, we're fine, meet my friends, this is Sooyoung and this is Yerim."

"Hello uncle."

Sooyoung and Yeri's voice echoed in a chorus which made Mr. Bae chuckle.

"Alright girls, let's buckle up and leave for home, after lunch you all can rest for while, then we can go pick Seungwan, I know it might be hard keeping up with my daughter."

"Appa!!"

"Unnie, uncle seems to be more fun than you."

Sooyoung received a slap to her that didn't stop stinging till they reach the Bae's residency and Yeri's annoying laughter didn't calm down, either.

_

"Unnie! Omma, unnie is home!"

Joohyun's sister ran towards them when the car was parked in the front yard.

"Suji, you are not small, stop crushing me."

Joohyun whined when Suji tried clinging onto her dear sister. Then she heard two obnoxious giggling from behind them.

"Oh, you must be unnie's evil children."

"Unnie said we're her children?" Sooyoung fake cried while reaching out to Joohyun.

"I don't have a daughter like you!"

"Tsk, whatever grandma."

"You aren't bothered that we were called evil, but by unnie not accepting you as her child?"

"Yes Yerimmie! How can she not-"

"Enough you two, let's get in and freshen up."

When they all entered home, they were warmly welcomed by Joohyun's mother who looked nothing like a mother of 2 daughter's in their 20's. Both the Bae parents looked absolutely gorgeous, no wonder Joohyun and Suji were so beautiful, damn.

All the girls got freshened up and ate the delicious food that Mrs. Bae made. Then they decided to hangout in their backyard with Suji before Joohyun can go pick Seungwan up.

"So tell me girls, does unnie found someone special there?"

"What?"

"Nothing, it's just, she never talks about her love life and I'm worried she'll die a cat lady... minus the cats."

Sooyoung cackled until she choked on her laughter, while Yeri was continuously slapping Sooyoung's arm, giggling.

"Unnie, your sister is fun, how are you even related?!"

"Yah!! Stop laughing, and Suji, what the hell, why are you asking about my love life?!"

"Unnie, I'm just concerned, you never talked about these stuffs."

"Suji-ah, there's more to life than just dating, just because I don't go on dates does not mean I don't enjoy my time."

"Yeah, enjoy your time in the library." Sooyoung retorted.

While as much as Yeri wants to reprimand Sooyoung for talking back, they all know they were just worried about Joohyun getting holed up in her mundane life.

"Seriously tho unnie, why don't you even try going out with any of the suitors who ask you out, not that you're obligated to, but trying won't hurt, right?" Yeri asked in concern, but not before punching Sooyoung to shut her down.

"Girls, I just don't feel like entertaining them, they all either wants me so they could get in pants or to use me to show off, I don't want to be treated like a property."

The tone in which Joohyun uttered her words sounded so pained that made the girls frown, just what happened?

"Unnie-"

"It's nothing girls, I just don't feel like dating now."

Joohyun said with finality and the girls don't feel like asking her more when she doesn't want to open up, at least for now they'll let this go.

Time passed, they forgot about this and chatted about something else, they played some board games, Suji shared about this girl she likes which made Joohyun's eyes bulge out of her socket.

"You have a crush on who?!?!"

"Unnie, why are you shouting? Keep it down before omma or appa hears you!" Suji whispers frantically, turning around to check if someone heard her unnie's dolphin screech.

"It's a junior girl from uni, she's been asking me out, I like her too, but I don't want to give her hopes when I'm confused myself."

"You never said you're into girls, Suji?"

"That's why I'm not sure if I should try, I don't know if it's just a fleeting moment or do I really like her, you know, I don't want to hurt her."

Joohyun is surprised to say the least, Suji's past relationships were always with men, this is the first time that her sister is talking about a woman, Joohyun is really not sure what she should do, it's not like she has an A+ in dating, but she's gotta do something to help her sister, but before she could open Sooyoung beat her to it.

"Suji unnie, I know you're confused about the new feeling, but I think you should give her a try, you could tell her, and I'm sure she'll understand, then you can find out how much those feelings mean to you and how much she means to you. You know, in that way, you wouldn't hurt her by turning her down without explanation or miss her without confirming what you are actually feeling."

When Sooyoung finished her supposed advice, 2 pair of eyes looked at her like she grew out one more head while Suji looked like she's thinking about how it'll work.

"What? Why are you both looking at me like that?"

"This is the most mature thing you've ever said, Sooyoung-ah, I'm proud." Joohyun sniffled.

"Unnie, I thought your head is filled with chicken but there is brain left in you, wow!"

"Yah! Are you two making fun of me? I can give good advices, thank you very much." Joy huffed, couldn't believe she is being made fun of when she actually gave a good advice.

" No Soo, I'm really thankful you stepped in, you know I'm not good at this." Joohyun said sincerely, patting Joy on her head.

" Awww, thank you unnie, I know you love your daughter."

"I don't have a daughter like you!" Joohyun couldn't help but best friend.

"Yeah unnie, I'm her only daughter."

Yeri joined in on teasing Sooyoung, which made the older put the youngest in a choke hold.

"Unnie, I'm glad you got some genuine friends there."

"Me too Suji-ah, as much as they're devil's incarnate, I wouldn't trade them for another."

The time went by as Sooyoung trying to catch Yerim, and the older girls engaging in their own conversations.

_

"Hyun-ah, give Seungwan a call and inform her that we're on the way to pick her up."

"Yes appa."

"Hello?"

"Unnie!"

"Seungwan-ah, I and appa are on the way, wait for us and do not take any cabs, alright?" Joohyun warned her cousin knowing the girl would do the exact same thing to not burden them.

"Okay okay unnie, I will wait at the entrance." Seungwan said with a chuckle.

"Good girl, we'll be there in a few, check your luggage before leaving."

"Unnie, I'm not a kid." Seungwan whined before disconnecting the call.

"Appa, she said she'll be waiting at the entrance."

When they finally reached the station, Seungwan was their waiting for them. Joohyun didn't even wait for her father and ran straight into Seungwan's arms.

"I missed you so much, Seungwan-ah, I cannot believe we couldn't see each other even when were in the same city." Joohyun whined, showing her disappointment of not seeing her cousin for so long.

"Yeah Seungwan-ah, are you that busy to even come and see us for little while." Mr. Bae .

"No uncle, I was just spammed with so much of club activities and composing along with tons and tons of other works, but I'm here now, unnie, we will spend this vacation together, I'm going to drag you around Daegu." Seungwan giggled looking at the pout that doesn't seem to be disappearing from Joohyun's face.

They loaded Seungwan's luggage in Mr. Bae's car and the two cousins huddled together in the back seat talking about anything and everything throughout the ride.

_

Seungwan remembers this town so clearly even after so many years, the house that contained so many memories of her holidays, that front yard they ran around, the big tree which had a tree house uncle Bae built for them. She is set to create new memories this vacation.

When they reached home, Seungwan expected to be greeted by her aunt and Suji, but there were two more kids whom Joohyun introduced as, "​​​​​my best friends Seungwan-ah, Sooyoung and Yerim," though Seungwan can only call one a kid while the other made her look like a kid with how tall the girl looked.

She introduced herself as Wendy, her english name rather than her korean name.

Sooyoung fixed her with a certain intense stare that she wondered if there was something on her face.

But then, she was greeted with a smile that rivals a spring field, and a "I'm Sooyoung, but you can call me Joy." Seungwan is interested.

Though she faintly heard Joohyun say "what the hell was that" to the other kid Yerim.

The kids are so chaotic, they were fighting all the way to her bedroom while helping her carry the luggage, but Seungwan thinks she should match their energy when she really wants to know more about this Joy.

_

It is near supper time and everyone is gathered around the dinner table waiting for Mrs. Bae to bring the food, while Joohyun and Seungwan helped her.

"Ah, Hyun-ah, can you give this to our neighbors?"

"Omma, when did you get close to them? Aren't they new?"

"Yes Hyun-ah, they're an old couple, they moved here so that the halmeoni can spend her time in her hometown. Now shoo, drop this and come quickly, so we can eat."

"Alright omma."

"Unnie, I'll come with you."

Seungwan and Joohyun rang the bell and waited for the door to be opened.

When it was finally opened, they were greeted by a grandpa in his 70's eyeing them curiously.

The girls bowed to him.

"Annyeonghaseyo."

"Oh, Who are you girls?"

"We are from the Bae's, I'm their daughter and this is my cousin, we came here to give this." Joohyun replied politely.

"Ah, you're the Bae's eldest, your mother was talking to my wife about you visiting for holidays. Thank you for bringing the food, we will enjoy it, tell your mother our thanks, too." He said with a smile.

"Definitely harabeoji."

The girls bowed once more and retreated to their home.

After dinner, all they wanted to do is to just roll in their bed. They're so tired from the day's traveling and needed a good rest.

Joohyun couldn't wait to wake up tomorrow and see what are the new things that her hometown got when she was away.

_

The sun peeked through the curtains and fell on Joohyun's face, stirring her awake.

She checked her phone for time, ​​​​​7 am, wow I woke up pretty early for all the tiredness I felt yesterday.

She opened the curtains and went to her balcony. Her neighborhood did not change that much except for the few big modern houses.

"Hyun-ah? Are you awake?"

"Yes Omma. I'll freshen up and come help you."

After getting freshen up Joohyun went to wake all the girls and go help her mother prepare breakfast.

Joohyun didn't even break a sweat waking Suji and Seungwan up, lord help her waking these two little devils.

After what felt like 30 freaking minutes, she managed to wake Sooyoung and Yerim, she then went downstairs to help her mother with preparing breakfast. She plated the dishes and placed it on the table while one by one, the people started to gather. The breakfast is louder, louder than the dinner, Sooyoung and Yerim wouldn't stop bickering, Suji joining them in a while to stir new , Seungwan is animatedly talking about her college and her experiences while her father was listening attentively. Her mother is talking about the woman's club down the street and all the friends she managed to get, occasionally sharing some gossips. She missed these. After breakfast, her father went to look after their farm, saying he will bring them there that evening. With nothing else to do, Suji brought the two youngest with her to go do some shopping while Seungwan suggested that she and Joohyun could bake something to go with lunch. Joohyun's mother left them in the kitchen to go visit her club for a chit-chat.

"Unnie, What do you want to try baking?" Seungwan asked enthusiastically, eager to share her favorite hobby with her Unnie.

"Hmmm, I don't know Wan-ah, whatever you want to try?"

"Unnie, don't you have anything you want to try?"

"If you insist, can we try making carrot cake? I tried some at the café near my apartment, it was so good!"

"Roger that, unnie, we are baking carrot cake today." Seungwan said with a little salute.

The two cousins started with preparing the batter, Seungwan helped Joohyun step by step patiently so her unnie can learn, clearing the doubts and providing the exact measurements.

It was almost lunch time when they finished baking, Mrs. Bae got home from her visit to cook lunch but got pushed out of the kitchen by the two baking masters.

"Yah, how will I cook lunch if you don't let me in? Everyone else will be home soon."

"Omma, only the decorating part is there, then they can eat the cake until you cook some simple lunch, I will even help you once the cake is over. Hmm? Please?"

At her daughter's pleading look, Mrs. Bae couldn't resist and agreed.

"Alright, but if your father or the kids ask for food, you are going to answer them."

"Okay omma." Joohyun gave her mom a wide smile and continued with her cake decoration.

As Mrs. Bae said, Mr. Bae, Suzy, Joy and Yeri got home and their first question was to ask for food.

"Omma, we are hungry, where is the food?" Suzy whined, not seeing any food on their dinner table.

"Ask your sister, she and Seungwan are doing something." Mrs. Bae, not wanting to see the wrath of hungry kids, pointed at Joohyun.

"Yah Baechu? Where is my food, I have spent all my energy in taking care of these two satans."

"Unnie, it was more like me taking care of you both because you ran marathons in the mall, from shop to shop, that I had to drag this midget along with me to keep up with you." Joy retorted with a snort and was rewarded with a hard smack on the head from the said midget.

"You two were crazy in the mall, Joohyun unnie, please don't send me anywhere with these two." Yeri said with a whine.

"Yah yah, stop fighting, here, eat the cake, me and omma will cook something."

Joohyun shushed the kids, gave everyone a slice of cake and sat down to enjoy her's.

"Hyun-ah, is there any extra slice?"

"Yes omma, why? Is it that good? Do you need one more?" Joohyun asked with a lilt in her voice, happy that her cake came out well.

Mrs. Bae chuckled at her daughter's happiness, "Yes and No, Yes the cake is tasty but no, it's not for me, it's for our neighbors."

"Ah, the grandpa and grandma? Yeah, we have few more slices."

"Yeah, their granddaughter has also visited, Seungwan-ah, can you take some and visit them, I'm sure they will appreciate."

"Yes aunty, Yeri-ah, do you want to come?"

"Okay. But can I have food when we come back, please? I'm hungry." Yeri rubbed her belly and mustered up the best puppy look she can give.

"Alright alright, we will start preparing food, you be good and don't pull anything on Seungwan, got it?" Joohyun warned the maknae knowing what she she might do if she gets a chance.

"Pull what? I am a good girl. Come on Seungwan unnie, let's go?"

Yeri pulled Seungwan away with her when she heard a vague good girl my a- and followed by a loud scream.

"What is that?" Seungwan asked in confusion.

"Uh that, it's nothing unnie, just a overgrown chicken got smacked. Now come on." Yeri disregarded it and dragged Seungwan away.

When they entered, the grandpa and grandma were sitting outside.

Seungwan greeted them first, "Hello halmeoni and harabeoji, we baked some cake and wanted to share it with you."

"Oh, you came yesterday, where is that girl and who is this?"

"Unnie is cooking, harabeoji, this is Yeri, unnie's friend."

"Hello harabeoji and halmeoni." Yeri did a small bow to greet the couple.

"You all came for vacation, huh? Sit down, sit down."

"Yes harabeoji." The girls replied and too the seat.

"Seulgi-ah, come here and eat the cake, leave the garden, I will call someone to clean that."

"Harabeoji, you have been telling me that for a month now, when I said I will spend my vacation here, I would clean it myself and plant flowers for halmeoni, the vegetables are almost over."

His granddaughter, Seungwan assumed, said with her back still turned to them.

The grandpa chuckled at his granddaughter's reply.

"I will really call someone today to help you with, now come on."

"Alright." Seulgi said with a sigh, she got to remind her grandpa or else he will forget this again. She set her gardening tools aside, washed her hands and took a seat beside her grandparents.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter