Final.

Springdate, Kiddie date.

An exciting day it is for Byulyi, Not only because it's her favourite season but she finally goes to a date with her crush, Yongsun. She rushes everything from washing up to changing her clothes and to grooming herself. She has the day all to herself as it's her day off of being a nanny Auntie to her nephew, Byulyi hurriedly takes a cab on the way to the pre-school where she usually picks her nephew at. It takes about three minutes to get there and Yongsun is also waiting patiently. Once she reaches her destination, Byulyi got off the cab and approached Yongsun who was waiting. Her eyes sparkled, She still couldn't believe it. She's about to go on a date with her long-time crush.

"You look beautiful..." Byulyi smiled sweetly and rummaged through her pockets.

"You'd look even beautiful with this."

She pulls out a pair of earrings. The valuable item has the latter surprised and gazed at her in awe.

"Thank you...."

Before Yongsun could stop her, Byul was quick enough to compromise and voluntarily put the earrings herself onto the latter's ears. They stood together blushing and feeling all giddy with each other. When it was about time for them to go on their much awaited date, A voice of a child calls out of nowhere and Yongsun attentively turns her attention away from her.

"Mom!"

“Yonggil-ah!”

Mom?! MOM?? Byulyi watches the scene unfold. The child calls Yongsun his mother and Yongsun calls his name so casually and holds him so tightly like a real parent would do. If there’s one thing she wasn’t knowledgeable of, It was that Yongsun has a son.

“…..Mom? W-why does he call you Mom?”

“Uh…He’s Yonggil, My son.”

Yongsun smiled, Awkwardly this time.

The nice kid approaches her and she studies his face for a moment. The resemblance between the child and Yongsun was evident and there’s no way the kid could be adopted.

“Hello, My name is Yonggil. I am 4 years old.”

“Hi, I’m Byulyi….your Mom’s friend.”

The atmosphere became more and more awkward as time passes. They look at each other not knowing what to say or do, Yongsun failed to tell Byulyi about her son and Byulyi failed to get to brief her either before the date.

“Mom....Didn’t you say we’re going to see the roller coasters today?”

Byulyi stared at the kid.

“Sorry….We’re going together. Let’s go?”

Yongsun smiles at her and mouths a silent ‘Thank you.’

As they ride an uber on the way to the amusement park, Yonggil is asleep in Yongsun’s arms. Byulyi thought it was the best time to raise questions, As early as possible.

“You didn’t tell me you have a son.”

“I’m sorry.”

“You know….I think he’s nice, I don’t have problems with kids since I have been parenting my nephew since my sister got dumped by her husband while her work is hectic.”

“Still, I should have told you before the date.”

Silence fills the uber ride once again. Yonggil is still sleeping, The traffic is becoming worse because of a road block. The silence somehow kills the mood and her curiosity about Yonggil. She wasn’t much into meddling on another person’s family issues or anything about their personal life. She couldn’t stand not knowing and went on to raise questions one more time.

“Where’s his father?”

“Truth to be told, I fell inlove too quick with a man. I dated him, We carelessly brought a child into this world. I even got married to him once, It lasted for 2 years. Felt like the marriage was forced and my ex-husband was cheating on me the whole time. I caught him on his phone, He films…..just..disturbing videos of him you know doing it with other women. I fought for custody, I won the custody and here we are, Living life much well without Jeongsu with us.”

“Jeongsu? Is that your ex-husband’s name?”

“Yeah….”

“ Jeongsu I guess. Well not literally, I would never ever a man.”

Both of them laugh, Just when the right timing as Yonggil wakes up from his sleep.

“What’s fu-“ Yonggil asks. About to.

“We’re here, Miss.”

“Oh…Thank you, Here keep the change.”

As they all get off from the uber, A pause was made as the driver gives them a piece of his thoughts upon listening to their conversation along the uber ride.

“You know miss, You two should be careful on conversing when a child is around.”

“Sorry, Thank you by the way.”

“Mom look! Roller coaster!” Yonggil hops up in excitement as they enter the amusement park. Byulyi had romantic plans for this day but thanks to Yonggil it feels so like her tailing along her sister and her nephew but then, This is for Yongsun. Watching Yongsun playing happily with her son makes her heart warm somehow, Another lovable quality about her. A good Mother.

 

 

“Yonggil-ah…Mom is not good at shooting, We’ll try another game. I promise, I can get you another bear.”


Byulyi nonchalantly picks up the pellet gun. Shoots all the toy soldiers in one go and wins Yonggil a bear. She then gives it to the child, A smile spread across her features. Yongsun stared, Her gaze looking much more different now.


“Thank you, You really didn’t have to.”

“What do you mean? If Yonggil wants it, Byulyi can give it.”

They both smile. The amusement date that was originally planned to be a romantic two people date becomes an unexpected family date. Byulyi bonded with Yonggil really well, The three rest on one of the benches as they tire themselves althrough out the day. They watch the stars on the night sky, Yonggil falls asleep once again but this time, He’s leaning on Byulyi’s lap.

“I really had fun today. I’ve been to dates with Jeongsu but this…..this feels so different. I feel warm, I feel good, I feel safe and secure.”

“I’m sorry for giving you such a reaction when Yonggil showed up.” She glances at Yongsun.

“It’s okay, I understand.”

The night gets deeper and the mood is getting better, Both still looking up to admire the sky and the breeze of spring time. As she immersed herself, Yongsun mustered up the courage. Byulyi whose still looking up and lost in her own world, Feels a warm shadow touching her lips.

“I like you too, Moon Byulyi. If you’re thinking about of courting me, Don’t bother. I will say yes right here, Right now.”

“Are you serious?”

“How can I not be? Honestly, I know. I know you liked me even way before, When you’re picking up your nephew at the pre-school, I know how you feel about me. I was just….I was just waiting for you to make a move and tell me. I was honestly very happy when you confessed to me, I like you. I even like you more today because I can see how you treat me and my son so well.”

Byulyi jokingly slaps herself to reality, She expresses her happiness as she puts her lips on the latter’s this time. The two sharing a sweet kiss under the stars, In the spring time.