I neither like nor dislike the rain

Rain

What do you think about rain?

 

Rain? Well, I neither like nor dislike it

 

The rain has the ability to tone everything down for me, if there's rain, classes could be suspended, the crowd will lessen, it's a big advantage for me. I won't waste my energy doing useless things like managing clubs, more time to create lesson plans, and more time to waste some time for myself, and of course, not forcing myself to hang out with people I actually don't like. 

 

And of course, there are disadvantages.

 

It's a funny story, I did say that I am okay with rain, but not to the point that I would love to get soaked by it. No, of course not. Definitely not. Yet, at that time, when I was in the middle of cursing the rain for anonymously pouring itself without any signs on that day, I ran to the nearest bus stop, then, 

 

I met you, and coincidentally, you're in the same situation as me.

 

Well, fine.

 

A bit worse.

 

Your hair is soaked like you literally walk to shower yourself into the rain, and anyone would assume that every bit of makeup on your face would vanish, along with the hint of effort that you put on it. Yet with your makeup gone, everything around you practically glows, your long, damp, black hair, your skin so silky one would say that it's so fair, your face that would leave everyone floating in the air, and of course. Your eyes that would not hesitate to stare. 

 

Wait… stare? Oh... .

 

I didn't realize that time that I was staring at you, studying you, but my thoughts were cut off when you realized what I was doing at the time,, you caught me red handed, and up until now, I am so ing embarrassed of what I did. 

 

I immediately broke the contact, and rummaged into my drenched bag, luckily I accidentally slipped my phone inside a plastic bag with bread, yes, you're correct, bread. A bread filled with sugar powder on top of it, and even though I would call myself an irresponsible person who can't keep her things clean. I am not that much of a to do this one. But thank god my phone is safe. I suddenly noticed that you were shivering from the rain, I mean really, Who wouldn't?

 

After that I checked myself, I am drenched as her, well more or less, but I will not let her die from freaking hypothermia before the bus arrives. Luckily, that day I wore my blue jacket, and below is a shirt that I practically stole from my cousin, who's still upset up until now after I've done that. But nonetheless, I gave my jacket to you. I know that it's a bit wet from the rain but, it's still better than your situation.

 

I offered it to you with my most caring, gentle voice that I could muster, hoping at the process that I wouldn't fluster. But thank god you accepted it and it ended without creating a disaster.

 

I remember how we sat there in silence. Then after a few minutes you couldn't bear it and started to speak. You asked me and I asked you. 20 questions, alternating each other.

 

-Did you forget your umbrella?

-what's your favorite color?

-what's your favorite drink?

-do you have a pet?

-how old are you?

-what's your work?

-Do you love your work?

-Do you have any allergies?

-why did you still continue to walk in the rain?

 

The questions that I asked were useless, but who cares? That's not my area of expertise, so mind your own business.

 

That's probably the longest time that I talked to a stranger. It felt like time had stopped and we were stuck in our own world. The two of us only, without our problems and worries. And the 20 questions that we've asked to each other still lingers inside this naive head of mine.

 

As the bus stops, you grab your drenched belongings and hop inside the bus, before the doors could close you mouthed the words that left me flustered even until now.

 

'Nice to meet you stanger.'

 

As the bus moved away from me, I could feel my jaw dropping. Wow.

 

/

 

{I am interested in the rain.} 

 

I don't know if the universe is playing with me, because coincidentally, every time it rains, I see you, you see me, again we're alone in the bus stop. funny really. But after the first time we met, we met with more presentable appearances, for after that day I always carried an umbrella, and today, you thought the same thing. We sat with each other, but feet apart, for we both knew that we didn't really know each other. We talked about our hobbies, our occupation, even a bit with our families, but of course, we would censor their names with each other. It's nice really, I could see your smile, that for some reason, there's butterflies in my stomach. And my insides feel flipping every time I hear you laugh. Then again, your bus arrived first.

 

You hurriedly asked for a pen and paper, I had one pen inside my front pocket and handed it to you, but before I could rummage inside my bag for a paper, you tugged my arms closer, and dearie me. It felt like my heart would explode for beating so fast with you so close to me. I could see your face more closely than before. I could see your eyes so focused and your mouth formed a bit of a pout as you're writing whatever is in my hand right now. 

 

As you hop on to your bus, you don't mouth any words, but this time, you shout. 

 

"Kwon Eunbi is my name!!! What's yours?!!!

 

The words you shout have so much power, that if I stood up, it felt like my legs would waver, and I realized after you did that, it helped me to be braver, well just a bit. As the bus slowly moves away, with the sound of the rain playing, I gather up my breath and say. 

 

"Miyawaki Sakura is my name!! I hope we meet again!!!"

 

Then I saw you mouthed the words that I didn't know I waited for so long to say since the day that we met. 

 

'we will'

 

My eyes didn't stray from your bus as it left the stop, I only tore it away when it blended to the busy streets, with the rain still pouring from the dreadful clouds, I suddenly remembered that she wrote something to my hand. As I looked at it, it felt like this time, my heart would explode, filled up with fairy dusts and sugary confections, is what I felt when I saw that you wrote your number, your freaking number. 

 

Did I just hit a jackpot?

 

/

 

{I like the rain.}

 

Because with every meeting that we had on that same bus stop, we've gotten closer, we also text almost everyday, to the point that every time my phone would vibrate, I would immediately look at it, assuming that it's you. I admit, as an adult, it felt like i'm back in highschool, blushing at every conversation we have, squealing like a teenage schoolgirl after we've talked in the phone, I don't know what kind of spell that you've casted in me because I tell you, It's ing effective. 

 

We then moved on from meeting each other on that bus stop, and decided to meet at a cafe, which startled me at first because when we talked about it in our fated meetings as I would've called, I expected you to be working like some kind of a part time job, but oh sweet Jesus, you owned it. I remember that part when you greeted me with your smile it felt like my insides turned jello. I tried to hide it by making snarky remarks that you would always laugh at and sometimes pout at.

 

"Good afternoon, Miss Miyawaki," you smiled. "What would you like to order?" 

 

You

 

That's what I thought at the time, but of course, I shaked that thought fast enough to give you a decent reply, on my part that is. 

 

"Anything that the owner suggests" I said. I don't know what I ate that time but I tried to wink, only to fail miserably as I saw you contain your laughter for a second before suddenly bursting out. 

 

But for some reason, I didn't feel any embarrassment or whatsoever, your laugh, your smile, it hypnotizes me. So I smiled back, and went to the corner of the cafe, as I sat there, I noticed how nice your smile was at every customer you received. How gentle your touch as you served with glee, and how spine chilling your stare would be as you pushed away guys( or girls) from hitting on you. 

 

"Stop gawking, she'll notice that sooner or later, I tell you."

 

My thoughts stopped with the voice of a girl who's very tall, brown haired with red streaks on the bottom girl, she's looking at me with a knowing smile. Am I that obvious that I'm looking at her? But I only answered

 

"What are you talking about?" I said to the girl, feigning innocence. 

 

She snorts. "Oh please, you're ogling unnie! You're like a tiger waiting for its prey" she said but I gave her another innocent look, to which she doesn't fall for, again. But she quickly strutted back to the kitchen. When I looked at your direction again, I caught you staring at me, or did you? I don't know. 

 

/

 

{I love the rain.}

 

Chatting, meeting, hanging out. I didn't realize that three years had passed since we met from that bus stop, from that rain that left us both drained. Over three years, we both comforted each other with the monsters that kept us in the past, you calm me in my nightmares, and I calm yours, you go straight at me when I call you, and I did so too. We held each other when problems arose fast, and at times the happiness, gratefulness, and patience with you only grew to the point that my interest in you only grew. Who knew? 

 

And as three years have passed, I plan to confess at the same spot, on the same day that we've met, at the same time, and maybe the same weather? I plan to reenact the whole scene from when we first met, well at least I'm a bit prepared. We're playing 20 questions once more and for my last question, I'll ask you to date me. Nice isn't it? That's my plan. 

 

And on that day, I forced you to leave your umbrella when I fetched you in front of your apartment, to which you reluctantly agreed. 

 

After we hang out at the karaoke, I insist that we walk to the bus station, to which this time you begrudgingly agreed as you saw the sky is encapsulated with dark clouds little by little.

 

After exactly four minutes, four freaking minutes, it started to rain, and at that time, I admit, I like the rain, the rainy night now, gave me a higher freaking chance to confess to her.

 

As we run, your mouth runs through every swear that your mind would think. Cursing me starting from 'idiot' to 'dickhead' to 'tall '. On normal days, I would counter it with another remark, but as much as I am happy that the universe grants my wish at this time, this day, it's perfect. It gave me enough boost to tell you how I feel all these years.

 

We arrived at the bus stop. As a 'responsible dickhead' as you said that day. I pack my things in a transparent bag and hand you a towel, which you accept and mumble something like 'thank you idiot' at this point, it's hard to contain my laughter, but of course, as a great actress as I am, containing my laughter at this point, is a hard feat., one should hand me a gold award right now.

 

I mean it.

 

"Stop fussing" I told you. Maintaining a poker face. 

 

"I should not have listened to you, you- you really" you scowled as you ran your fingers through your hair, my eyes following the droplet of water that fell from your hair through your face and down through your shirt. 

 

And holy Moses, I feel like dying

 

I haven't started wiping myself, and it feels gross to be honest, but that didn't matter at the time for I subconsciously brought the towel in my hand to wipe the droplets falling from you. You flinched. I felt it. But I continue to do so, I continue to step on the invisible line which we draw for years, inching slowly, drifting towards you, abandoning my plans that I did for the week to confess to you. 

 

If what I'm doing now fails, I have enough money to fly myself away from here, move to Japan or something, for I don't want to feel any more embarrassed with what I'm doing now

 

I could hear you mutter but I'm not paying attention to it. When you realized that. You decided to turn your head to meet my eyes. At that time, I assumed that you're about to nag at me for being an idiot and all, but you didn't instead, you stopped. 

 

I stared at your eyes as you stared at mine. Again, I'm losing every control on my body as I continue to stare at you, my heart's beating faster and faster, I could easily blurt out that I want to play 20 questions, or I could easily pull away, but now, I'm hypnotised once again with those damn eyes. 

 

I slowly glanced at your lips, those plump lips that I've always yearned to taste, would it be as sweet as to what I'm feeling right now? Or will it be as sweet as your favorite bread filled with sugar? Then my eyes met yours once more. My breath hitched. I dropped the towel that I've been holding, and slowly reached my hand and caressed your cheek. I know that by doing this would snap the line that we drew in two. Not breaking the contact in your eyes, I slowly leaned in, closing my eyes, tilting my head as I pressed our lips together. I always thought that movies were exaggerating, that one would feel like fireworks exploding, a warm feeling coursing inside your body. This feeling that I've always imagined since I first came to your cafe, is what I could never forget. 

 

Yet the feeling was cut short when I realized that you're not kissing back. Oh.

 

Oh.

 

I pulled away. Fast. Like our touches have electricity in between, panic is starting to build inside me. She didn't kiss me back, she did not kiss me back. I quickly grabbed my things as you stood in front of me, not moving, but keeping your gaze into me. I grabbed all that I could grab. 

 

 

I gave up gathering my possessions, and just clinged to the towel that's discarded on the floor. My heart couldn't take it. I hear it slowly cracked in pieces as a pool of tears starts to gather in my eyes. I looked at you once more, searching for an answer, but you didn't give me any. 

 

Crack.

 

My heart is breaking , I don't know what's happening right now. But it hurts, my heart hurts.

 

"S-sorry, I-I didn't mean to, I-" my breath hitched and a tear started to escape my eyes. 

 

"K-Kkura yah, I-"

 

"I'm sorry" Then I did what I think is the most suitable reaction at that moment.

 

 I ran away.

 

I dashed in the rain, I ran as fast as I could, not caring about my drenched clothes, not caring about my disheveled appearance, I continued to run. I let tears come out as I ran, as the sound of the rain blinds my ears, I could still hear the sound of my heart breaking, the sound of my heart aching, the feeling of my chest constricting. I stopped in the middle of the street, as I looked up towards the raining clouds. I let the tears fell down

 

'So she doesn't like me, after all these years, I thought. I-I thought that- maybe it was just only me- maybe-'

 

My thoughts were cut off when hands suddenly wrapped around my waist, a warm body pressed against mine.I could feel your head buried deep at my back.  I froze. Yet the tears in my eyes pours faster than the rain could ever. 

 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry I kissed you, I'm sorry I ruined everything, I'm sorry because I-"

 

"I love you, Eunbi"

 

I blurted out as I buried my face in my arms, preventing the tears from falling any longer. I quickly untangle myself to you, yet your only answer is squeezing me, hugging me tightly more than ever. 

 

"Don't run away Kkura-yah" your breath hitched. "Please" this time your voice cracked. I slowly put down my arms, not fighting with your grasp anymore, you slowly turned me around to face you. When I saw you, the tears started to fall in my eyes once more. You quickly wiped it again and again, and again

 

Then after wiping the tears, the rain continued to pour, while I sobbed into my hands. You wrapped one arm around my back, you pressed a finger on my chin, slowly lifting it forward, meeting your gaze once again. I looked away.

 

"Look at me Kkura" you said in the most soft spoken voice that I could only hear, in the middle of the street, in the middle of the rain. Then slowly I lifted my gaze to meet yours, you smiled, as you put your other hand to caress my cheek, then slowly lining my face until it reached the jaw you stopped. You looked at my eyes then gazed at my lips. With your face so close to mine, I could see your eyes shade darker than I remembered, I could smell the remnants of your sweet rosey perfume that vanished once we caught ourselves drenched in the rain, I could hear the sudden quickens of your breath, and as you tilted your head slowly, this time, you leaned in.

 

As your lips touch mine slowly, I kiss you back. It's filled with fear, with hesitation, scared that one of us would pull away, saying that it's a mistake, yet it brought me to tears once more. You feel the same. Kwon Eunbi feels thr ing same!! As I reluctantly wrapped my hands around your waist, you broke the kiss, much to my chagrin, and smiled, etched with an expression of a ty grin.

 

But this time, taking more initiative than before, my hands at your waist slowly glide up to the back of your neck, and without hesitation, I crashed my lips into yours, the gradation of the intensity made your legs wobble and clings to me as if I am the only stable thing into your dizzying world. As you open your mouth let out a breathy moan, I gladly plunged my tongue in, and pulled the back oof your neck closer, deepening the kiss. you moaned again this time, sending vibrations all over my body, I could taste the sweet sensation that you letting me feel, the poor butterflies that stuck in my stomach sets free, I pressed my body into yours closely, swifting from the upper lip and the other. Nibbling, attacking your lips after waiting for so long. So long. I could feel your hands run through my damp hair, I groaned at the sensation, but continued to devour what's mine.

 

As much as we both wanted to continue what we're doing, we ran out of breath and broke the kiss this time. I only realized that the rain had stopped, and laughed at the fact that we just made out in the middle of the street but again, why should I care? I pressed our foreheads together. I cupped both of your cheeks with my hands and smiled. 

 

"I love you Eunbi, would you be mine?" 

 

You let out a breathy laugh, which took every ounce of my power to prevent me from kissing you again, well devouring, but  yeah.

 

"Of course Kkura," she kissed the tip of my nose and pressed our foreheads together once more. 

 

"I'm yours"

 

///

 

So really, what do you think about rain?

 

Hmm? I changed my mind. I love the rain.