broken window

broken window

Mina took a pint of ice cream from her fridge and a spoon for her and Chaeyoung to share.

 

"Don’t you feel lonely living alone?" Chaeyoung asked.

 

"I do, but I’m busy most of the time so when I come home, I just go straight to the shower and then go to bed and sleep. My friends also come here often for a sleepover whenever I’m not busy, so I don’t feel that lonely."

 

At exactly 12 midnight, while the two girls were talking, a sudden glass-breaking noise was heard from Mina's bedroom.

 

They both gasped. "What was that?"

 

“Stay here, I'll go check-“

 

“No, Chaeyoung, don't leave me!” Mina whispered. Her breaths are heavy.

 

“Okay, come with me.” She held Mina’s hand as the latter clung to her arm with her eyes shut. Chaeyoung slightly opened the door to Mina's bedroom and peeked her head in. She saw a person peering through the broken window.

 

“Not now!” Chaeyoung mouths to the person who can only be seen by their shadow. "What?" The person mouthed back. The person rolled her eyes and then she signaled Chaeyoung to come.

 

“Do you see something?” Mina whispered.

 

“No, just shattered glasses. You go back to the sofa and turn on the lights. I'll check on here further.”

 

Mina unhooks her hands from Chaeyoung's arm and quickly ran to turn all the lights in the living room. Then she sat in the sofa and covered herself with a blanket so she would feel safe.

 

Chaeyoung proceeded to the window. “What were you thinking?! I haven't given you my signal yet, Agent Dahyun!"

 

“That's the point! I thought you forgot to make the signal because you were too busy making out with our target, so I thought I had to do something to accomplish the mission even if that meant walking in on the two of you."

 

“Damn you're so impatient, Agent Dahyun. Did you get a mango?”

 

“Yes, I have it here.” Dahyun takes a mango that’s almost as big as her hand from the ground. “So what's the plan now?”

 

“Let’s abort the mission. I don't wanna do it anymore.”

 

“What the heck are you saying?!” Dahyun paused for a second. She furrowed her eyebrows and put an index finger on her chin and continued, “Hold on. Don’t tell me you’re already falling for her?”

 

“Chaeyoung? Are you okay? What's taking you so long?” Mina says with a shaky voice.

 

“I’m just checking everything to make sure no one's hiding somewhere.”

 

“Hurry up. I’m scared.”

 

“Yes, I'll be right there.” Chaeyoung faces Dahyun again and said “We'll discuss this with Nayeon tomorrow. You can leave now.”

 

“Are you really being serious right now, Agent Chaeyoung?”

 

“Yes, I am. Now give me that mango.” Dahyun hands her the mango. Chaeyoung says “Ciao” and quickly goes back Mina.

 

“Mina,” Chaeyoung laughed and continued, “I saw this mango on the floor. I think this fell because of the strong wind and flew right into your window.” But she found no Mina in the living room. “Mina?” She started to become nervous. Was Nayeon here working with Dahyun and took Mina away? She hears some noise from the bathroom. She approaches it and just before her hand could reach the knob, the door opens and sees Mina holding a cake. And she sees Nayeon and Dahyun and their friends shouting “Surprise!” After a second, she finally realizes what’s happening.

 

“What is this?” Chaeyoung laughs as her friends sing her the happy birthday song.

 

~~

 

2 days ago…

 

“Agent Dahyun and Agent Chaeyoung, I have a special mission for the two of you.” Nayeon places a photo of a girl on the table. “Mina Myoui, 24 years old, granddaughter of the multimillionaire businessman who owns the SCS company.”

 

“Mina? It can’t be,” Chaeyoung whispered without realizing she was thinking out loud.

 

“Yes? Is there a problem Agent Chaeyoung?”

 

Chaeyoung shook her head. “No, ma’am. It’s just, I thought we’re only dealing with politicians?”

 

“That's right. That is why I said this is a special mission.” Nayeon stood and proceeded to walk towards the pinboard where information about the said businessman was laid out. “His crime is he founded a non-profit organization that's supposed to be a charity for orphaned children but they don't really have orphans to support. It's a bogus organization. They're only taking money from donors and put them in their bank accounts. A very stinky business, isn’t it?”

 

“Ma’am, I don’t think we should do it. It’s not part of our agency’s objective.”

 

“Agent Chaeyoung, tell me, what is this concern about? Do you know Mr. Myoui or his granddaughter?”

 

“Y-yes,” she finally admits. “Mina Myoui is my friend, that’s why I can’t-“

 

“Agent Chaeyoung, remember the reason why you joined this agency. Remember why you do this job. Don't be subjective this time. You know this is for the good of the many and besides, your friend won't get hurt.”

 

Chaeyoung sighs in defeat.

 

“Agent Dahyun, you’ll be the one who will report to me every progress of this mission. And make sure your partner works with you on this.”

 

“Yes, ma’am.” Dahyun responds.

 

Chaeyoung and Dahyun are secret agents who work for Nayeon’s secret agency. They kidnap people for ransom but, just like Robin Hood, they do it for a good cause. They kidnap a family member of fraudulent politicians who steal money from the government and make them pay back what they have stolen. Then, Nayeon uses the money to anonymously help the poor by giving them money so they can start their small businesses, by providing shelter to the homeless or in any means they can help.

 

~~

 

For the past 2 weeks, Mina had been meeting with Nayeon to plan their surprise birthday party for Chaeyoung. Mina is Chaeyoung’s “special friend” to whom she just confessed her feelings to and they’re girlfriends now. Chaeyoung didn’t know that Nayeon and Mina are close friends and she also didn’t know that Mina has just learned the nature of her job through Nayeon. So Chaeyoung was just pretending that she wasn’t closely affiliated with Mina. After their planning, they brought in Dahyun and their friends to the plan.

 

~~

 

Mina approaches and says, “Make a wish, Chaeyoungie.”

 

Chaeyoung closes her eyes for a few seconds and then blows the candles. Everyone cheers and someone plays loud music.

 

Chaeyoung counts the candles on the cake. “Hey, how come there are only 21 candles?”

 

“Sorry Chaeyoung, but the store only had 21 candles left and we were short on time” Nayeon explained. Outside of work, Nayeon and her agents speak casually.

 

“It's 'cause Mina’s her 22nd candle” Dahyun teases. Chaeyoung laughed as she tried to hide her blushing cheeks.

 

“Thank you guys for this. I’m still so surprised.” She then faces her girlfriend. “Who planned this?”

 

“I did, of course,” Mina says proudly. “And I asked for Nayeon’s help.”

 

“How did you-” Chaeyoung gasps. “You know each other?”

 

“Yup, we’ve known each other longer than you knew her,” Nayeon says, wrapping an arm around Mina’s shoulder. “And don’t worry about explaining your work to Mina, I already told her everything. You’re welcome” Nayeon turns to look at Mina and winks at her before she leaves the two girlfriends alone.

 

“Happy birthday, babe. I love you.” Mina places a kiss on Chaeyoung’s lips.

 

“I love you, too.”


Happy 22nd birthday son chaeyoung!

If you’ve read my “in love with the thought of you” story (if you haven’t please check it out 😊), the first part of this story might be familiar to you, because the last part of that story is the beginning part of this story. I originally wanted it to be a comedy but I gave up on that idea and then I came up with this trope and decided to make it a tribute thingy for chaengie’s birthday.

Thank you for reading and hope you have a nice day!
twt: @namyoim